+5
che
rwo power
Senor Penguin
free_cat
CBarca
9 posters

Go down

Creationism Is Not Appropriate for Children Empty Creationism Is Not Appropriate for Children

Post by CBarca Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:59 am

Also, from a CBS interview recently...

On "CBS This Morning," Nye said, "You can believe what you want religiously. Religion is one thing, but science, provable science is something else. My concern is you don't want people growing up not believing in radioactivity, not believing in geology and deep time. You don't want people in the United States growing up without the expectation that we can land spacecraft on Mars. You want people to believe in science, this process, this great idea that humans had to discover more about the universe and our place in it, our place in space. And I really want to emphasize, I'm not attacking anybody's religion, but science, if you go to a museum and you see fossil dinosaur bones, they came from somewhere, and we have by diligent investigation have determined that the earth is 4.54 billion years old. The sun is a star, like all the other stars you see in the sky, and we are made of the same stuff. This is wonderful! This is fantastic discoveries that fill me with reverence, make me excited.

Asked why he's passionate about his stance on evolution, Nye said, "It's for the betterment of the United States, the United States economy and our future. What makes the United States great, the reason people wanted to live in the United States, move here still, is because of our ability to innovate. This goes back to Ben Franklin and Thomas Alva Edison and George Washington Carver, let alone landing on the moon, Neil Armstrong. All these people believed in science. This morning, talking about Hurricane Isaac, and we're watching satellite maps made with spacecraft orbiting the earth, and this all comes from science. If you have this idea that the earth is only 6,000 years old, you are denying, if you will, everything that you can touch and see. You're not paying attention to what's happening in the universe around you. As I say, this is bad for kids."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505270_162-57501492/bill-nye-on-creationism-critique-im-not-attacking-religion/

Discuss. Is it appropriate to raise children believing in creationism?
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Creationism Is Not Appropriate for Children Empty Re: Creationism Is Not Appropriate for Children

Post by free_cat Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 am

Creationism is a lie. So it is not appropiate to raise childrens to make them believe lies.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Creationism Is Not Appropriate for Children Empty Re: Creationism Is Not Appropriate for Children

Post by Senor Penguin Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 am

No. Absolutely not. It's not based on any critical reasoning and that creationists oppose evolution, which is a scientific fact, makes it even more ridiculous.

Likewise it's not appropriate to raise your children into believing your religion (and the accompanying doctrines) as the truth either. Religions are ideologies and it ought to be up to the children themselves to make a choice about it when they are mature enough.

If your religion is as good as you think it is then you wouldn't need to indoctrinate them into believing. Same thing with creationism.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 am

Frankly, a country that in all seriousness allows kids to be taught that fairytales like creationism are real can't really be taken seriously. I mean, just look at this: http://creationmuseum.org/ :facepalm:
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by che Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:38 am

forget inappropriate, teaching religion to children is mental abuse

http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/118-religion-39-s-real-child-abuse
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 am

rofl material.

Love the "f*ck yeah" face the creationist museum director puts in the end.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Potential Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Creationist is the truth, you atheists has been brainwashed Creationism Is Not Appropriate for Children 123n7r
Potential
Potential
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:26 am

che wrote:forget inappropriate, teaching religion to children is mental abuse

Well if Dawkins says it it must be true
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by che Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:08 am

read the comments ffs...
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:00 am

Peccadillo wrote:
che wrote:forget inappropriate, teaching religion to children is mental abuse

Well if Dawkins says it it must be true

He's making a perfectly valid point, though. Doesn't matter who said it.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:11 pm

"Odious as the physical abuse of children by priests undoubtedly is, I suspect that it may do them less lasting damage than the mental abuse of bringing them up Catholic in the first place."

Stopped reading there...impossible to take him seriously after that
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Swanhends wrote:"Odious as the physical abuse of children by priests undoubtedly is, I suspect that it may do them less lasting damage than the mental abuse of bringing them up Catholic in the first place."

Stopped reading there...impossible to take him seriously after that
Yeah he's not a psychologist but I don't think he's entirely wrong either.

It just depends on what kind of faith kids are brought up with. If it's some sort of fundamentalist gibberish that you're teaching kids from an early age then that could possibly end up being more damaging. They'll become deeply emotionally invested in something that often upsets rationality. These two parts of the psyche ought to be reconcilable not dichotomous, which is exactly what fundamentalist indoctrination and dogmatic beliefs do to one's mind. It's the ultimate case of cognitive dissonance.

That's why you can't reason with terrorists or other religiously motivated crackpots. They are so emotionally invested and certain in their God-given mission that they denounce their rationality.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:00 am

Not being raised to believe in one certain religion/ not going to religion was absolutely one of the best things my parents have ever done for me in my life, honestly.

Should become standard everywhere. Oh well, can't control people's beliefs I guess. I know I for sure will not raise my kids believing in a religion, as long as they're with me, they can decide what they do and do not believe for themselves.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum