Tomwin Lannister
milanfan7
elp
REWB
rwo power
dwaynejohnson28
14 posters

Go down

European Super League - Pros and Cons Empty European Super League - Pros and Cons

Post by dwaynejohnson28 Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:57 am

list the pros and cons of a European Super League model, instead of the current league, cup and European Cups model...

Cons:

- with European Super League, i guess it means goodbye to national football leagues, and cups, and also goodbye to the historic Champions League and Europa League competitions.

- lesser national pride, since there is no national leagues, there is no rivalry between football nations

- big teams facing each other week in week out could become ''boring''?

- no Relegation, no promotion = NBA style?

Pros:

- Clubs get richer, *bleep* UEFA and FIFA. they get so much money, half wich they don't deserve. which should be given to the clubs...it's the clubs providing the entertainment, not UEFA.

- Historic giants like Ajax, Porto, Benfica, etc. would get a bigger share of money and thus would improve a lot making a European Super League very tight in terms of competition.

- Big matches each week, good quality football, who likes to watch Barcelona, Man U, City, Madrid, Bayern,etc. trounce small teams 5-0 each week in their respective leagues?

---------

How it could work:

- Add 'Relegation and Promotion from lesser league, aka somekind of secondary league for the top 20-40 teams of European football. in the Super League you have the top 20 teams of Europe, in the secondary league you have top 20-40 teams of Europe. Top 3 or even top 5 in the secondary league get's promoted the next season and worst 5 placed teams gets relegated from the Super League.

dwaynejohnson28
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

European Super League - Pros and Cons Empty Re: European Super League - Pros and Cons

Post by rwo power Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm

I'd be strongly against a European super league because of the aforementioned cons. A closed shop would bore me to death in no time, and frankly, I prefer seeing upsets were "no-name teams" beat big boys, too, and losing the Bundesliga just to see a league were you actually don't really have to fear anything (no relegation takes out quite some of the excitement, if you ask me), would be horrible for me.

For me football is not never ending giant clashes, but I actually like the David vs Goliath set-ups where a team like APOEL or Basel manages to take out big clubs and go much farther than expected.

Last edited by rwo power on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

European Super League - Pros and Cons Empty Re: European Super League - Pros and Cons

Post by REWB Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:11 pm

a super league would destroy football, the big teams would benefit, but soo many smaller clubs in the leagues in-which the big teams left would struggle.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by elp Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:26 pm

everybody keeps saying that a super league would destroy domestic leagues, and small clubs, and that that it would be a closed shop like the nba, well then create a super league that doesnt do any of that.

dont get me wrong , its ok that you bring up all the disadvantages, but just turn them around and now you got a recipe for a super league.

elp
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by milanfan7 Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Question: If there was anything such a european super league,who would buy the refs,juve or barca?
milanfan7
milanfan7
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41 pm

milanfan7 wrote: Question: If there was anything such a european super league,who would buy the refs,juve or barca?

We got our 2nd penalty of the season today against Roma, damn us and our evil ways.

Also, I am firmly against a super league. The excitement of big games would die out eventually, for me that is too much of a negative.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by stunt Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:50 pm

End the stupid and pointless national cups and league cups. Have a two-division (with 16 teams each) European league.

Teams would play 2 games a week, one for the EL and another for their country's respective league.

Big teams would play beetween 60-70 games a season. A little more than the current amount, but doable.

Not only would the national leagues still exist, but they would be extremely interesting to watch because smaller clubs would have much easier schedules than big teams, making national leagues much more competitive.

At the end of each season there are 2 extra competitions. One to decide which teams from around Europe enter the second division (a playoff, similar to what we see already in the european competitions), and another beetween the top 8 of the first division to decide the ultimate champion (like a mini CL).

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Stupid idea.

Don't try to fix something that isn't broke.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Pros: More top-teams than we currently have.

Cons: Top-teams would be drowning in cash, and will never again be challenged. And that's the end-all argument, why I wouldn't want a European Super League.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Why not reorder all European leagues into a super league with like 40 tiers? It would be fascinating to see teams move from 25th division up, or have giants end up somewhere in the 30s after a period of poor play. :coffee:
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by elp Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 pm

stevieg8 wrote:Why not reorder all European leagues into a super league with like 40 tiers? It would be fascinating to see teams move from 25th division up, or have giants end up somewhere in the 30s after a period of poor play. :coffee:

i'd vote for that multi tier system

elp
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Because I don't want a league-modified franchise system à la American Sports.

That's what a "Super League" is pretty much. A franchise system composed of the biggest names earning the most money and buying from players from... where? What entitles them to their spot in the super league? What about Leeds? Nottingham Forest? Do the teams play in their national league as well as the super league?

So many problems arise from creating a super league that you wonder what prompted it in the first place - lack European nationalism (= I don't care about the national league) + how to earn more money.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:56 pm

elp wrote:everybody keeps saying that a super league would destroy domestic leagues, and small clubs, and that that it would be a closed shop like the nba, well then create a super league that doesnt do any of that.

dont get me wrong , its ok that you bring up all the disadvantages, but just turn them around and now you got a recipe for a super league.
Actually that would make it the domestic leagues plus the Champions League, so just what we have right now. Why fix something that isn't broken?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by leemhuis Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:24 am

There could be a super league, but it would have to have relegation and promotion. That is the center of European football and why it is popular. Every little town has dream of getting to the first division in every country and some do, like Chievo.
leemhuis
leemhuis
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:40 am

If you have promotion and relegation in a Euro Super League, it would get skewed unless one sets up limits about how many teams can get into it. Imagine you suddenly have 10 Spanish teams in that Super League - that would mess up both the Super League and the domestic league again. And if you set up those limits (eg 4 teams max of the top leagues etc), then you are back to the CL format again where each league has a chance to send a club in it and even if it has to go through some rounds of qualification play-offs. But the chance is always there.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by NiallQuinnsdiscoPants Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:41 am

Not all fans support their team over the internet.

It wouldnt logistically be practical or financhially viable for the likes of season ticket holders to be jetting all over the place weekly.
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by elp Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:44 am

rwo power wrote:
elp wrote:everybody keeps saying that a super league would destroy domestic leagues, and small clubs, and that that it would be a closed shop like the nba, well then create a super league that doesnt do any of that.

Actually that would make it the domestic leagues plus the Champions League, so just what we have right now. Why fix something that isn't broken?

yes, but do you really think that this current model is going to hold for the next 10-20 years? . I just dont see european football in the future being played like today, i am not saying its broken, but in the 60's when the european cup was being developed , football wasnt broken either, they just thought of a way to make it better.

elp
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:04 am

elp wrote: i am not saying its broken, but in the 60's when the european cup was being developed , football wasnt broken either, they just thought of a way to make it better.

Yes it was, there was no regular competition to find out the best team in Europe and thus UEFA came into being.

stunt wrote:
Teams would play 2 games a week, one for the EL and another for their country's respective league.

Big teams would play beetween 60-70 games a season. A little more than the current amount, but doable.

No.

People are just throwing out ideas and suggestions without even thinking about what they're saying.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by elp Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Phritz wrote:
elp wrote: i am not saying its broken, but in the 60's when the european cup was being developed , football wasnt broken either, they just thought of a way to make it better.

Yes it was, there was no regular competition to find out the best team in Europe and thus UEFA came into being.

stunt wrote:

No.

People are just throwing out ideas and suggestions without even thinking about what they're saying.

come to think of it, i do see that the current system is broken, and that is debt and spending, you cant have the richest league in the world (premiership) with clubs declaring bankruptcy, and platini's economic fair play is too little too late, we need a salary cap, transfer control, stop rich clubs from signing under age players, ect. But no league wants to take the first dive , if there ever will be a set of rules that will address all of that, its not going to be started by a single football association, it must come from all associations at the same time.

elp
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:45 pm

elp wrote:come to think of it, i do see that the current system is broken, and that is debt and spending, you cant have the richest league in the world (premiership) with clubs declaring bankruptcy, and platini's economic fair play is too little too late, we need a salary cap, transfer control, stop rich clubs from signing under age players, ect. But no league wants to take the first dive , if there ever will be a set of rules that will address all of that, its not going to be started by a single football association, it must come from all associations at the same time.
You only need to look at the Bundesliga. It works nicely with fan-owned clubs, low ticket prices, a competitive league, huge crowds in the stadiums, financially stable clubs, top notch talents that come from their own academies etc.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:04 pm

I am strongly against this idea, because the cons mentioned in the OP outweigh the pros by a great margin.

milanfan7 wrote: Question: If there was anything such a european super league,who would buy the refs,juve or barca?

You sound SO butthurt. Laughing
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down