Raphael Varane or Phil Jones?

+4
jibers
Lord Hades
Le Samourai
Travis_RM_91
8 posters

Go down

Raphael Varane or Phil Jones? Empty Raphael Varane or Phil Jones?

Post by Travis_RM_91 Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:31 am

I'd have to go with Varane. They are both Central defenders, but I feel Varane shows a positional sense and composure that Phil Jones could only dream of. Phil Jones is perhaps ''typically English'' with his surging runs forward, high work rate and bursts of pace and strength, but he can easily be caught out by talented schemers. Not Varane though, who is so calm and measured and well thought out in his approach to defending and never seems to get outwitted. Phil Jones is good though.
Travis_RM_91
Travis_RM_91
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Raphael Varane or Phil Jones? Empty Re: Raphael Varane or Phil Jones?

Post by Le Samourai Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 am

I'll be honest here...I think Varane is better than him in literally every defensive category...although he hasn't gotten many chances to show it.

Jones is good as well, but Chris Smalling is the one to watch.Chris Smalling is physically and perhaps even technically every bit as talented as Varane.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:01 am

smalling>>>> jones

however varane is as good if not better than smalling

and my personal bias will obviously make me choose varane, who hasnt put a foot wrong for madrid so far
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:02 am

Seriously dude. Are you just trying to troll United? LOL

OT: Varane is in a differernt League to brain dead jones. Jones couldnt defend if his family depedned on it. I fear for the future of Uniteds cbs.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:02 am

Lord Hades wrote:smalling>>>> jones

however varane is as good if not better than smalling

and my personal bias will obviously make me choose varane, who hasnt put a foot wrong for madrid so far

Yea Smalling vs Varane will be a ore apt comparison. I feel Varane edges it. Smalling isn't to far behind though, but Varane has more potential and is better.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:05 am

jibers wrote:Seriously dude. Are you just trying to troll United? LOL

OT: Varane is in a differernt League to brain dead jones. Jones couldnt defend if his family depedned on it. I fear for the future of Uniteds cbs.

come on mate, give him a shot. I would say that he has been a little exposed this year at Utd. he did good at the beginning, with more "controlled" game time he will get better. let's not forget about Smalling, why be worried?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:08 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:

come on mate, give him a shot. I would say that he has been a little exposed this year at Utd. he did good at the beginning, with more "controlled" game time he will get better. let's not forget about Smalling, why be worried?

Jones is awful If anything he has regressed. Maybe I am being a tad bit harsh lol. Lets be honest, he isnt going to become the next Maldini thats for sure. Smalling is like a young Rio, Varane reminds me of Blanc
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 am

When is Vidic coming back?
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:14 am

jibers wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:

Jones is awful If anything he has regressed. Maybe I am being a tad bit harsh lol. Lets be honest, he isnt going to become the next Maldini thats for sure. Smalling is like a young Rio, Varane reminds me of Blanc

like i said, with more controlled game time he will get better.

i like Smalling a lot too, he has everything to be world class.

Varane is not even playing consistently, i dont know why we compare him with players playing week in and week out. He looks awesome, no doubt, but he still has a lot to prove.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:14 am

Smalling impresses me to no end.

A 6,5 CB with legit speed to play at RB.Add to that a brain , good skills on the ball and seemingly good distribution?

:bow:

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis_RM_91 Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:22 am

LOL no. They are two teenage defenders who made their big move this season, the comparison is a fair one. I also stated that Jones is in no way a bad player.

It appears that your view of Jones is lower than mine. I think that when he learns a bit more in terms of positional sense he will be a very good defender, and positional defence is the area where Varane is streets ahead.
Travis_RM_91
Travis_RM_91
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:06 am

Jones is lolworthy

Smalling is I feel a beast and a better comparison, but I still feel Varane just edges him out. Just.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:37 am

Travis_RM_91 wrote:I'd have to go with Varane. They are both Central defenders, but I feel Varane shows a positional sense and composure that Phil Jones could only dream of. Phil Jones is perhaps ''typically English'' with his surging runs forward, high work rate and bursts of pace and strength, but he can easily be caught out by talented schemers. Not Varane though, who is so calm and measured and well thought out in his approach to defending and never seems to get outwitted. Phil Jones is good though.

Varane has only played for 7(584 min) games while Jones been playing most of the season (22 games) , I wouldn't pass a judgment on player until at least 10 games .BTW: Kyriakos Papadopoulos is better than both
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:01 am

Kyriakos :bow:

Jones leaves huge gaping holes whenever he bombs forward. I think he's also been used more as midfielder than anything. He really needs to develop his positioning in other to be great. Varane while not playing much has impressed me a shit lot. He's way too composed for his age, it's scary.

I agree Smalling is better than Jones. Definitely more proven than Varane and has the bonus of being able to play RB solidly.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:20 am

exactly^^^ , that is what strikes me as uncanny , i mean he is 18 for crying out loud . and you see him on the ball ,o ff the ball, his interceptions tackling, and then you see pepe do that - lol ... could even make the first team in a couple of years hopefully ..
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down