lenear1030
Mr Nick09
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kony 2012 Empty Kony 2012

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:12 pm

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2012/mar/08/kony-2012-what-s-the-story
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Kony 2012 Empty Re: Kony 2012

Post by lenear1030 Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:03 am

yeah i saw it. several reasons to be skeptical of contributing to invisible children for this though
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:48 am

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:03 am

Lets face it, its a failed continent. If these people cant put themselve together, no Kony/Mony/Bony etc movement will not help. Just leave em to their problems
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:11 am

Nice idea, but I majored in political sciences and I'm currently studying economics.
One thing I could probably get all my professors to agree with myself on is this:
Never, ever, give money, directly or indirectly, to Africa. Development aid is nice for politicians to make themselves sound like they care, but it does NOT help Africa in any kind of way (all this partaining only to the hugely corrupt African states, iE ALL African states except some in North Africa and the country of South Africa, and even they're dodgy in this regard).

Development aid funds warlords, it makes civil war even possible, and it's the next worst thing to buying blood diamonds you can do.

Don't. Ever. Do. It.

Developmental aid ruins local farmers, it funds warlords, it keeps the corruptest politicians rich and in power - and it costs the G20 billions they could spend better. You want to spend money? Send UN Peacekeepers. Or best of all: spend it on being able to afford letting African immigrants into Europe. Really want to help Africans? Make them welcome in Europe.

African dictators can only be stopped by being bled dry.

Just my two cents.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by everest1 Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:31 am

VivaStPauli wrote:Nice idea, but I majored in political sciences and I'm currently studying economics.
One thing I could probably get all my professors to agree with myself on is this:
Never, ever, give money, directly or indirectly, to Africa. Development aid is nice for politicians to make themselves sound like they care, but it does NOT help Africa in any kind of way (all this partaining only to the hugely corrupt African states, iE ALL African states except some in North Africa and the country of South Africa, and even they're dodgy in this regard).

Development aid funds warlords, it makes civil war even possible, and it's the next worst thing to buying blood diamonds you can do.

Don't. Ever. Do. It.

Developmental aid ruins local farmers, it funds warlords, it keeps the corruptest politicians rich and in power - and it costs the G20 billions they could spend better. You want to spend money? Send UN Peacekeepers. Or best of all: spend it on being able to afford letting African immigrants into Europe. Really want to help Africans? Make them welcome in Europe.

African dictators can only be stopped by being bled dry.

Just my two cents.

Development aid, as in from USAID? or from donations to NGOs?

I generally agree that development aid can (and often does) aggrandize instead of alleviate problems, but i think that this is a little extreme. i'd say dont donate to any cause, not just africa, without doing background research into the organisation and the issue it is working to alleviate. however, unlike state sponsored aid, there are many, many NGOs doing credible and commendable work in africa and all over the world that deserve our donations. IMHO invisible children is not one of those organisations.
everest1
everest1
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:31 am

Grande_Milano wrote:Lets face it, its a failed continent. If these people cant put themselve together, no Kony/Mony/Bony etc movement will not help. Just leave em to their problems

Its a failed continent? You make it seem like it was their fault that they just didnt move on. The Europeans *bleep* them over for a long period, and now that they are suffering, we should leave them to their problems?

One of the most arrogant/idiotic things I have heard. I have lived/worked in parts of Africa for 3 years, what we do to help educate young Africans makes a huge difference to their future. People like Kony need to be dealt with, but not through us donating money but by creating awareness. Additionally, we should help them become self-sufficient, but clearly your mentality is like of a rich spoiled kid who doesn't understand why Africans are so poor....

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:34 am

everest1 wrote:Development aid, as in from USAID? or from donations to NGOs?

I generally agree that development aid can (and often does) aggrandize instead of alleviate problems, but i think that this is a little extreme. i'd say dont donate to any cause, not just africa, without doing background research into the organisation and the issue it is working to alleviate. however, unlike state sponsored aid, there are many, many NGOs doing credible and commendable work in africa and all over the world that deserve our donations. IMHO invisible children is not one of those organisations.

The NGOs as well. If your NGO of choice wants to get a couple of tons of rice to, say, Darfur, they have to bribe their way there through corrupt customs officials, a couple warlords on the road, maybe even pirates on the way over.

And for what? Better not fund the warlords, until they give up, and the people there can become self-sufficient in moderate peace. As long as there's an influx of foreign money there really is no need for the weapon-bearing elites to change anything.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieRayVaughan Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:47 am

VivaStPauli wrote:
everest1 wrote:Development aid, as in from USAID? or from donations to NGOs?

The NGOs as well. If your NGO of choice wants to get a couple of tons of rice to, say, Darfur, they have to bribe their way there through corrupt customs officials, a couple warlords on the road, maybe even pirates on the way over.

And for what? Better not fund the warlords, until they give up, and the people there can become self-sufficient in moderate peace. As long as there's an influx of foreign money there really is no need for the weapon-bearing elites to change anything.

I think Ron Paul put it quite nicely to build on your point. On foreign aid, Ron Paul said " To me foreign aid is taking money from poor people in rich countries, and giving it to rich people in poorer countries". Mostly, the money goes to either rich politicians or just warlords who steal that money.

StevieRayVaughan
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:09 am

Grande_Milano wrote:Lets face it, its a failed continent. If these people cant put themselve together, no Kony/Mony/Bony etc movement will not help. Just leave em to their problems
Fark. What a comment. If you were the one facing these problems you would be begging to God someone comes to your aid......
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:32 pm

The Verminator wrote:
Fark. What a comment. If you were the one facing these problems you would be begging to God someone comes to your aid......

Well my country isnt the best out there, it has its problems, and I understand that if people dont help themselves and change their mentality and attitude, it wont change.

Kill Kony and another one will rise up, then another, and another, etc.
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:37 pm

StevieRayVaughan wrote:

Its a failed continent? You make it seem like it was their fault that they just didnt move on. The Europeans *bleep* them over for a long period, and now that they are suffering, we should leave them to their problems?

One of the most arrogant/idiotic things I have heard. I have lived/worked in parts of Africa for 3 years, what we do to help educate young Africans makes a huge difference to their future. People like Kony need to be dealt with, but not through us donating money but by creating awareness. Additionally, we should help them become self-sufficient, but clearly your mentality is like of a rich spoiled kid who doesn't understand why Africans are so poor....

Ethnopsychology...The mentality of nations/race. Read about. The excuses of colonisation do not work (look at how East Asia rised up having been colonies aswell). Richest continent, poor people and ''banana republics". Its only them who can self-organise and rise up like every other continent, the aid wont help
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:31 pm

I've heard the claim that one of the best ways to achieve peace and prosperity anywhere is to empower women and give them control over reproduction. It somewhat makes sense because women in impoverished countries are always degraded and abused, with the opposite being the case in countries that are prosperous.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:I've heard the claim that one of the best ways to achieve peace and prosperity anywhere is to empower women and give them control over reproduction. It somewhat makes sense because women in impoverished countries are always degraded and abused, with the opposite being the case in countries that are prosperous.

Agree 50 per cent. Feminist movement reached its goals and now only hurting people, the destruction of institute of marriage led to 1.1-1.9 reproduction rate per family. Matter of time when Westerners go extinct
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by red&blacklegion Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:01 am

Diamonds in Sieera leone ,Oil in Niger.Africa has many resources.Westerners give crooks guns and amunition and then they get natural resources back for dirt cheap.Divide and conquer. Kony is not 1 hundredth of the criminal that Bush and Rumsfeld are.They killed millions of people.Goddamn wake up.
red&blacklegion
red&blacklegion
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:19 am

red&blacklegion wrote:Diamonds in Sieera leone ,Oil in Niger.Africa has many resources.Westerners give crooks guns and amunition and then they get natural resources back for dirt cheap.Divide and conquer. Kony is not 1 hundredth of the criminal that Bush and Rumsfeld are.They killed millions of people.Goddamn wake up.

Too oversimplified, but you got a point. That's why I said stop the influx of Western money. It's only benefitting the warlords anyway. Bleed them try, then let the continent rebuild itself. Africans aren't stupid, they'll figure it out once the most evil dictators are no longer financed by European, American, Russian and Chinese corporations.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Aensensen Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:16 am

My ex room mate is in Uganda for 6 months now, working for philanthropist organization there and he says that Uganda has problems with development and rehabilitation, not Kony. True he is a monster and my friend said he even talked with some of his victims, but he says there has to be something hidden behind this KONY movement because Kony isn't even in Uganda but somewhere in central Africa.
Aensensen
Aensensen
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:21 am

Konygate 2012 lmao

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:33 am

It's a failed continent because Europeans pillaged it while it was young.............all these successful and failed areas are just representative of the inequitable distribution of resources throughout history.

If you continuously exploit a continents resources and prevent them from progressing to a modern industrial society, don't really see how you can blame them for being underdeveloped.

They were doing well from themselves back in 1500, if you compare them to their counterparts, but they lost almost all their viable sources of labour, family structures got destroyed and while they're recovering and re-stabalizing their natural resources are being monopolized by every other country that wants something.

To me it seems....calling them a failed continent, asserts that they failed by themselves.They had plenty of help.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 am

Phony 2012 :coffee:

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by che Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Le Samourai wrote:It's a failed continent because Europeans pillaged it while it was young.............all these successful and failed areas are just representative of the inequitable distribution of resources throughout history.

If you continuously exploit a continents resources and prevent them from progressing to a modern industrial society, don't really see how you can blame them for being underdeveloped.

oh bullshit... they have noone to blame but themselves... india was a colony and is certainly a much better developed country, so is south africa, i'm not even going to speak about canada or the entire south america
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:56 pm

che wrote:
Le Samourai wrote:It's a failed continent because Europeans pillaged it while it was young.............all these successful and failed areas are just representative of the inequitable distribution of resources throughout history.

oh bullshit... they have noone to blame but themselves... india was a colony and is certainly a much better developed country, so is south africa, i'm not even going to speak about canada or the entire south america

:facepalm:
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by che Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm

excellent post, care to elaborate? for example, why peru, a former colony whose population was pretty much wiped out and the land was exploited for natural resources, has more than 3 times gdp per capita of nigeria, a country with one of the world's biggest oil reserves?

in fact, i'd make the argument the opposite way... early colonisation helped establish modern (at least comparatively modern) and more civilized societies, most of subsaharan africa wasn't really colonised until late 19th century, and it shows

to elaborate, yes, my first comment how they have noone to blame but themselves was stupid and wrong... the european, and later rest of the world, countries did have a hand in it, but it's painfully obvious that a lot (i'd hazard a guess that in a lot of countries it's the majorty) of the people in the region simply aren't educated enough to start a real economy, and i'm sorry but for that they can only blame themselves... for god's sake witchcraft is illegal in cameroon :facepalm:
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by la bestia negra Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:01 pm

uganda has oil

hmm
la bestia negra
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:01 pm

che wrote:excellent post, care to elaborate? for example, why peru, a former colony whose population was pretty much wiped out and the land was exploited for natural resources, has more than 3 times gdp per capita of nigeria, a country with one of the world's biggest oil reserves?

in fact, i'd make the argument the opposite way... early colonisation helped establish modern (at least comparatively modern) and more civilized societies, most of subsaharan africa wasn't really colonised until late 19th century, and it shows

to elaborate, yes, my first comment how they have noone to blame but themselves was stupid and wrong... the european, and later rest of the world, countries did have a hand in it, but it's painfully obvious that a lot (i'd hazard a guess that in a lot of countries it's the majorty) of the people in the region simply aren't educated enough to start a real economy, and i'm sorry but for that they can only blame themselves... for god's sake witchcraft is illegal in cameroon :facepalm:

i facepalmed because you grossly oversimplified the issue. it's not like it's one country that needs to get it together, it's an entire continent made of many nations, many more than in south america which you cited.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next