For or Against SOPA?

SOPA Vote_lcap7%SOPA Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]
SOPA Vote_lcap93%SOPA Vote_rcap 93% 
[ 25 ]

Total Votes : 27

SOPA Empty SOPA

Post by CBarca Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:00 pm

**Credit where Credit is due, I found this thread on TL but was interested in what people here would think of it. In this link is another OP, one that is more detailed than mine, however I just have the main information here.**

http://boingboing.net/2011/11/11/stop-sopa-save-the-internet.html

to give the US government and corporations the ability to block sites over infringing links posted by their users and give ISPs the release to take any means to block peoples' sites
(From aforementioned Boinbboing.net)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), also known as H.R. 3261, is a bill that was introduced in the United States House of Representatives on October 26, 2011, by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) and a bipartisan group of 12 initial co-sponsors. The bill expands the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods.[2] Now before the House Judiciary Committee, it builds on the similar PRO-IP Act of 2008 and the corresponding Senate bill, the PROTECT IP Act.[3]

3 Part Series on SOPA (takes the view point of...against Very Happy)

1.Part 3
2.Part 1
3.Part 2

The actual bill

The video gives a good summary of SOPA

FROM THE VIDEO
Some of the main points that SOPA is trying to be able to do
1. Block access from infringing domain names
2. Cut off funds to infringing websites

What this CAN do

1. Companies can sue any infringing site they feel isn't doing their "filtering" well enough.
2. Introduce vast potential for censorship of the internet.

Why one might be for it...

Goodlatte stated, "Intellectual property is one of America's chief job creators and competitive advantages in the global marketplace, yet American inventors, authors, and entrepreneurs have been forced to stand by and watch as their works are stolen by foreign infringers beyond the reach of current U.S. laws. This legislation will update the laws to ensure that the economic incentives our Framers enshrined in the Constitution over 220 years ago—to encourage new writings, research, products and services— remain effective in the 21st Century's global marketplace, which will create more American jobs."[14]

Rights-holders see intermediaries—the companies who host, link to, and provide e-commerce around the content—as the only accessible defendants.[15]

Sponsor Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) said, "Millions of American jobs hang in the balance, and our efforts to protect America's intellectual property are critical to our economy's long-term success."[14] Smith added, "The Stop Online Piracy Act helps stop the flow of revenue to rogue websites and ensures that the profits from American innovations go to American innovators."[14]

The MPAA representative who testified before the committee said that the motion picture and film industry supports two million jobs and 95,000 small businesses.
(TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM WIKIPEDIA LINK ABOVE)

Sorry if some of the information is outdated, but be reminded SOPA IS STILL ONGOING!!!

I'm personally against it and I think everybody here is, this is more of a discussion topic/update thread as for how SOPA is faring.

My personal opinion: I can't see this passing, and I don't know how it could. I have a hard time believing anything this constricting and perhaps infringing is able to pass the U.S. Legislature. HOWEVER I am 15 and this is all kind of really over my head, and I still have a hard time understanding exactly what and what not the bill allows without some video telling me how bad it is etc. etc. I do have a grasp on the basic understanding, and I hate it. I don't understand how it can pass when big corporations like Google and Facebook could essentially be broken down and thrown away (NOT going to happen).

Thank you all for reading, please discuss! Very Happy

Last edited by CBarca on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

SOPA Empty Re: SOPA

Post by Le Samourai Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:05 pm

ragbirjosh wrote:This isn't going to pass you know............it's basically a political move.

SOPA on the table.

Some sites: Wikipedia, youtube, Google etc stand to lose Trillions.........they pay politicians to lobby against the bill.

Some sites: Domain websites, Movie Studios, Stuff in the Entertainment and leisure industry stand to make Billions.........they pay politicians to lobby for the bill.

In the end.......trillions > millions.

In the end politicians are rich.

/thread.

ragbirjosh wrote:Summary:

GoDaddy : Sees Bill "Yessssss Moaaaarrrr , Moaaaaarrr profits evryone will have to re register their domain after it is seized , Moaaarrrr".They support the bill.

!/4 of their clientle threaten to leave....which will destroy their solvency and destroy their credibility in the long run Embarassed .

GoDaddy : "We are firmly against the bill ...it's an injustice ....some democracy rhetoric bla bla bla."

It'll never pass dude....in reality what we get is some watered down version of the bill.....protecting copyrighted material like movies and songs etc being leaked less than 2 weeks after their official release and a couple torrent sites get shut down only to start back up again somewhere else.

HOWEVER: they're imposing themself here on other countries.....who'se citizens might not have the delusions of democracy enough to bounce back from this shit....dunno what's their game there.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:21 pm

i didnt really pay much attention to this coz basically i thought it wouldnt be that bad, after all its America we're talking about and these people know their shit, but after some research i realized that i was simply unaware of how bad this law can be ! Basically goallegacy could be taken down because we upload copyrighted avatars !!

The video below explains bits of the law and gives some real life examples of how it could change the internet as it is. take a look at it, very informative

SOPA in a nutshell

zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 am

Who the frak voted FOR? Idiot, it's stupid and will never work
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:09 am

This would frack me in the ass in so many ways, because we don't get half the music, films, games or pretty much anything someone in the States would.

I'm too lazy to sit through a 20 min video right now, but non-American sites wouldn't exactly be affected, right?

Streams Sad
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by la bestia negra Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:38 am

if the music - film industry wasnt shit at all i wouldnt mind paying but well what can we do id happily pay for commons album but i would never pay a single cent for for the shit music sold today
la bestia negra
la bestia negra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamirr Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Guys please join the protest against SOPA and PIPA on January 18. These are two terrible laws proposed by the US which will allow them to basically censored the internet.(Google it) On Jan 18 I ask you to go offline for 12 hours (naturally that excludes necessary work related internet such as email) from 8am to 8pm. Please pass on the word and lets take some small action against censorship!
Shamirr
Shamirr
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:50 am

A couple of articles worth reading:

Pirate Bay Immune to SOPA - Basically the bill in it's current incarnation is rather toothless, as .com, .org, and .net domains may well all be out of the bill's reach. It's a loophole that's silly and dangerously simple to close in equal measure.

Obama Administration Opposes SOPA - Title is self-explanatory.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Shamirr wrote:Guys please join the protest against SOPA and PIPA on January 18. These are two terrible laws proposed by the US which will allow them to basically censored the internet.(Google it) On Jan 18 I ask you to go offline for 12 hours (naturally that excludes necessary work related internet such as email) from 8am to 8pm. Please pass on the word and lets take some small action against censorship!

Will do, looks like I'll be playing Skyrim and FIFA instead of being on the computer that day! Very Happy

Anybody who hasn't noticed/isn't a wikipedia fiend like me, Wikipedia is going to 'black out' the English language Wikipedia for 24 hours in protest to SOPA and PIPA.

LINK
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Wikipedia will either have to reform its model or shutdown all together if SOPA is passed since they will be held responsible for any copyrighted material their USERS post.
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamirr Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:44 am

Don't forget to go Dark tomorrow in protest of SOPA/PIPA. Spread the word, only work essential internet should be used!
Shamirr
Shamirr
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:21 am

SOPA has been shelved guys
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 am

PIPA is still on though
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Wiki is on a 24 hours blackout today....

Google too is blacking our it Logo and has a link for their Petition against it on their main site

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Oh wiki you silly twat. Google cache renders your blackout useless.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by spanky Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Senor Penguin wrote:Oh wiki you silly twat. Google cache renders your blackout useless.

so does hitting the stop sign right after loading the page.
spanky
spanky
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 pm

wiki probably did that on purpose.... they aren't that dumb.... if they wanted to they could have redirected it straight to that page
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande_Milano Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:21 pm

I thought United States is a free country? Ah except for two same parties owned by same elite. This SOPA will go through
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Grande_Milano wrote:I thought United States is a free country? Ah except for two same parties owned by same elite. This SOPA will go through
Bleh, I doubt they'd be able to curb the public protests if it passed.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:56 pm

GUYS! PIPA SUPPORT COLLAPSES AND SO DOES SOPA!

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/pipa-support-collapses-with-13-new-opponents-in-senate.ars

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/technology/web-protests-piracy-bill-and-2-key-senators-change-course.html?_r=1
Ali
Ali
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:11 am

They can take away wikipedia but www.cracked.com?! noooo
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 am

If Obama isn't soft we'll have no problems....it depends on what they attach to this really .....it may be too good to turn down for him.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:48 am

Pardon me if this sounds a little stupid and correct me if i'm wrong since politics is in the least of my interest

But if Obama wants to stay in office, he'll make a decision that pleases the majority of people. And the majority of people want SOPA and PIPA to suck it. So Obama would surely go against these bills right? Is there any reason why Obama would actually agree to these bills?
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:06 am

Obama is on record as being against the bills.

Not at all surprised most of these senators have changed their tunes so quickly. It is a re-election year after all.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by pUsHa Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Thank's to all the hackers around the world right now who are turning down the sites of FBI and the likes and leaking information ... this should scare them out of this b*llshit ... they went for the oil first now they want to control the internet !? v moffos !
pUsHa
pUsHa
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: