Deco: "We had more players who could make the difference, when I played for Barcelona"

+12
free_cat
kiranr
BarrileteCosmico
gorooney
messixaviesta
Prometheus
ToEy
The Franchise
harhar11
The Sanchez
jibers
Albiceleste
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Deco: "We had more players who could make the difference, when I played for Barcelona" Empty Deco: "We had more players who could make the difference, when I played for Barcelona"

Post by Albiceleste Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:08 pm

"This Barcelona really play like a team and they have more quality overall than my Barca. However, looking at individual quality, we had more players who could make the difference," Deco was quoted as saying by Terra Brasil.

"The current team plays better football, is more complete and always finds solutions for every situation. However, we had more star players and individual class."

Do you agree?

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Deco: "We had more players who could make the difference, when I played for Barcelona" Empty Re: Deco: "We had more players who could make the difference, when I played for Barcelona"

Post by jibers Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Sort of. But then again football isn't about individuals. I think it's in erefernce to the scoring goals really. Messi seems to be the oly one on fire atm. Hard to say. This sums up the two sides. This Barcelona is more collective with messi as the individual outlet, that Barcelona was more Individual with Ropnaldiho as the Individual outlet.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Deco: "We had more players who could make the difference, when I played for Barcelona" Empty Re: Deco: "We had more players who could make the difference, when I played for Barcelona"

Post by The Sanchez Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:58 pm

The only people that made the difference in Deco's time was Ronaldinho, Messi and Eto. Now, we have Messi, Inestia, Xavi and also Alves, Villa.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:00 am

^ What about deco?

And you also forget that we still had iniesta and xavi then, albeit they were as good as they are now..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:01 am

paxtonpale wrote:The only people that made the difference in Deco's time was Ronaldinho, Messi and Eto. Now, we have Messi, Inestia, Xavi and also Alves, Villa.

The whole make a differnce is arguable. Guardiola has created a system specifically where your team doesnt depend on individuals bar messi. Collectivity > individualism
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:51 am

I get what he means, he could be correct.

It sounds like he is saying his team was more individual and relied on that more.

This Barca is more collective.

Its not about quality at all, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Villa have quality just like the old side. But they play with a more shared responsibilty. I think other then Messi, we are less relient on individuals in this team compared to Deco´s team.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by ToEy Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:05 am

I agree with him, we needed more individual quality to decide games back then (hence more decisive), now even if messi doesn't bring his A game, we can still win purely due to teamwork, we can have 0 decisiveness in a game and still win it (except for finishing)

ToEy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:49 am

xavi, iniesta, puyol wouldnt be considered difference makers in the barcelona team that deco played in.
iniesta was only just starting to feature and xavi wasnt the guarenteed starter that he is now!
he makes a good point though, himself, dinho, eto'o, giuly, messi, LARSSON, could all turn a game in the blink of an eye. These days while we do have players who can do it, its not called on as much cos the teamwork makes it unneccessary for the most part!
Prometheus
Prometheus
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:41 am

The Franchise wrote:I get what he means, he could be correct.

It sounds like he is saying his team was more individual and relied on that more.

This Barca is more collective.

Its not about quality at all, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Villa have quality just like the old side. But they play with a more shared responsibilty. I think other then Messi, we are less relient on individuals in this team compared to Deco´s team.

Excellent explanation - very similar to how I interpreted the comment. Ultimately he said this one is the better team and if the level of talent between two teams is equal then a team with responsibility shared is anyway likely to be better. So altogether it makes good sense.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:47 am

Prometheus wrote:xavi, iniesta, puyol wouldnt be considered difference makers in the barcelona team that deco played in.
iniesta was only just starting to feature and xavi wasnt the guarenteed starter that he is now!
he makes a good point though, himself, dinho, eto'o, giuly, messi, LARSSON, could all turn a game in the blink of an eye. These days while we do have players who can do it, its not called on as much cos the teamwork makes it unneccessary for the most part!

prom, great to see you after a long time.

By and large I agree with your comments. The only point I am not so sure about is I do think Xavi was even then a guaranteed starter as has been the case right through his career. Yes he wasn't considered one of the key stones of the team but I don't think anyone wanted to drop him. The only time he didn't feature much was in the 2005-06 season when he had that long injury. Otherwise our starting midfield at that time was Deco, Xavi and Edmilson. When Xavi got injured, Mark van Bommel came in. Also van Bommel sometimes played in place of Edmilson who had his own injury problems. Iniesta was largely used a substitute by Rijkaard if all players were available. Then in the summer of 2006 we sold van Bommel. Edmilson's level deteriorated so much that at times we played Deco, Xavi and Iniesta together. In the summer of 2007 we bought Yaya Toure. Often it was Deco who was dropped and the other three played. So overall I can't recall a time when Xavi was intentionally dropped.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:54 am

haha good to be back!!

i dont know, ive followed barca for years, since back in the 90's and the one thing i remember is that i didnt really consider xavi a guarenteed starter til after the 06 CL! while he started a large amount of games, he was more subject to squad rotation then the likes of deco! maybe im wrong, but its just what i seem to recall!
Prometheus
Prometheus
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Prometheus wrote:xavi, iniesta, puyol wouldnt be considered difference makers in the barcelona team that deco played in.

But iniesta and xavi were still quality. Wasn't Iniesta arguably our best player in the semi-final against milan in the CL 06 and our best after larsson in the final? That's what I call difference makers.

As I said, they were not as good as they are now but they were still quality player..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by gorooney Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:45 am

i think he is right

gorooney
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:02 am

I think 'difference makers' is not a judgement of the quality of a player but of the ability of that player to do one magical play and win the game, in the sense that we use it in Argentina anyway (and I'm guessing it's not that far off from what it means in Brazil). We have Messi and Iniesta, who else does this in a consistent basis?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:37 am

Alexis could be a "difference maker" given some time. Fabregas has some indvidual quality that could make a difference too. These players still need time to settle down though.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 am

Prometheus wrote:
i dont know, ive followed barca for years, since back in the 90's and the one thing i remember is that i didnt really consider xavi a guarenteed starter til after the 06 CL! while he started a large amount of games, he was more subject to squad rotation then the likes of deco! maybe im wrong, but its just what i seem to recall!

Yes that makes good sense. He played most of the time but was perhaps not indispensable.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:52 am

harhar11 wrote:
But iniesta and xavi were still quality. Wasn't Iniesta arguably our best player in the semi-final against milan in the CL 06 and our best after larsson in the final? That's what I call difference makers.

As I said, they were not as good as they are now but they were still quality player..

Excellent comments. I can't recall the Milan game well but I remember very clearly that we played much better right from the start of the second half in the UCL 2006 final than we had done in the entire first half and the main reason for that was the introduction of Iniesta. He gave the midfield some fluidity and verve that was badly lacking before that.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:53 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I think 'difference makers' is not a judgement of the quality of a player but of the ability of that player to do one magical play and win the game, in the sense that we use it in Argentina anyway (and I'm guessing it's not that far off from what it means in Brazil). We have Messi and Iniesta, who else does this in a consistent basis?

Very well said but we should call Xavi and D.Alves also difference makers and maybe a few others as well.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 am

I don't agree with him, and I don't think he says in a good way. I thihnk he is butthurt because Barça became the best side in the world when he left and his career went downhill.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:17 am

He said this side are better then his, how is he butthurt?
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Nostalgia made Deco a great individual player. after some years nostalgia will make iniesta xavi alves and others great individual players too
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:31 am

Completely disagree with you Free... he's not being rude and I think he does make a reasonable point. However, I also think that its harder for individuals to make a big difference these days because of the tactics used against us now.

While we have so many players with amazing quality, only Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are real cracks right now who can straight up turn the game in a blink of an eye on a consistent basis. I can see Sanchez also maybe becoming such a player though. In Rijkaard's team there was Ronnie, Deco, Messi and possibly a few others... But its quite close, but Messi nowadays is the only player in a very advanced position who rips teams open. Villa, Pedro and Sanchez all stuggle to do it without him.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:35 am

What I miss from Deco’s years is Giully. That’s all
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:31 pm

I am with free here,although not the butthurt part.
This Barca has just as many difference makers if not more than that Barca.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:23 pm

maybe so alex, but back then we relied on that ability to change games in a flash from the likes of dinho and deco, whereas now we rarely do except when we run into a brick wall! the teamwork now has more than supplanted it!
Prometheus
Prometheus
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next