Switzerland's xenophobia

+2
che
Senor Penguin
6 posters

Go down

Switzerland's xenophobia Empty Switzerland's xenophobia

Post by Senor Penguin Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 17:39

I've never seen or heard about this before but after reading a news article about Switzerland's biggest party and most notorious party - the Swiss People's Party - I've realized what odd politics that are being run in Switzerland.

This party is notorious around the world because of their extreme rhetoric against foreigners (mainly Muslims) and nauseating propaganda. They're behind the ban on minarets (which went through a referendum) and have advertised themselves with ads like these:
Switzerland's xenophobia Svp_01a
"Create safety"

Switzerland's xenophobia Intbox_6
"Stop - Yes for Minaret ban"

Switzerland's xenophobia Corbeaux1
"Open the door for abuse? NO!"

Switzerland's xenophobia 6119739221_072865f41f
"Stop mass immigration!"

They received 28% of the Swiss votes in the recently held federal election - a loss of 2,6% votes compared to the last election.

How come the majority of Swiss people are so intolerant of others? And how come a party this xenophobic and racist can get so much support in the heart of Europe - a continent that housed a certain Adolf Hitler who promoted similar propaganda against people of Jewish heritage which led to the holocaust.

Hasn't Switzerland learned from nazi-Germany?

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Switzerland's xenophobia Empty Re: Switzerland's xenophobia

Post by che Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 18:18

can you really blame citizens of what is arguably the most prosperous country on the continent (excluding the likes of luxembourg) for not opening their doors to thousands impoverished african/eastern european immigrants?

plus it's not like the swiss are genuinely xenophobic... 25% of their workforce is foreign, they have no problems accepting educated people who want to work

http://wwz.unibas.ch/fileadmin/wwz/redaktion/fai/Publikationen/SwissPoliticalScienceReview2.pdf

and 28% is by no means a majority of swiss people :coffee:
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 18:44

but posters like those do not have a ps note excluding educated people. If you're being discriminated based on your skin color then you're being exploited in the work place
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 19:29

che wrote:can you really blame citizens of what is arguably the most prosperous country on the continent (excluding the likes of luxembourg) for not opening their doors to thousands impoverished african/eastern european immigrants?

plus it's not like the swiss are genuinely xenophobic... 25% of their workforce is foreign, they have no problems accepting educated people who want to work

http://wwz.unibas.ch/fileadmin/wwz/redaktion/fai/Publikationen/SwissPoliticalScienceReview2.pdf

You're right about the majority argument; I worded that poorly, but when a ban for minarets was successful based on a referendum, (where the initial proposal came from this party) I'd say it's fair to argue that the majority of the Swiss people are intolerant against foreigners (at least those of Muslim heritage).

Swiss voters have supported a referendum proposal to ban the building of minarets, official results show.

More than 57% of voters and 22 out of 26 cantons - or provinces - voted in favour of the ban.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8385069.stm

As for Switzerland being most prosperous in Europe ... I'm not sure I can agree with that. Perhaps you could elaborate on what they're most prosperous at?

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 19:37

Actually, it's their homeland. If they don't want minorets to be built there then they don't Very Happy
Countries don't accomodate foreigners and their cultures for no reason, either their birth rate is low or they need injection of specific type of people Very Happy

che wrote:can you really blame citizens of what is arguably the most prosperous country on the continent (excluding the likes of luxembourg) for not opening their doors to thousands impoverished african/eastern european immigrants?

This Very Happy

Last edited by babun1024 on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 19:44; edited 2 times in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 19:38

zizzle wrote:but posters like those do not have a ps note excluding educated people. If you're being discriminated based on your skin color then you're being exploited in the work place
And when the biggest political party in the country is behind such posters, it's difficult not to feel discriminated against. All of those posters symbolize blacks as being the problem.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 19:46

babun1024 wrote:Actually, it's their homeland. If they don't want minorets to be built there then they don't Very Happy
Countries don't tolerate foreigners for no reason, either their birth rate is low or they need injection of specific type of people Very Happy
Based on those posters alone it seems like the intolerance against foreigners in Switzerland is all about skin color. Unless by "specific type of people" you mean non-blacks. Suspect

That they also value a referendum on minarets of all things also reeks intolerance.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 19:50

Its funny because their country was partly built on money stolen by third world dictators and public officials.

I dont care if switzerland is facist or not (it is more so than the rest of europe), but they advertise themselves as being the opposite.
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by che Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 20:19

Senor Penguin wrote:
You're right about the majority argument; I worded that poorly, but when a ban for minarets was successful based on a referendum, (where the initial proposal came from this party) I'd say it's fair to argue that the majority of the Swiss people are intolerant against foreigners (at least those of Muslim heritage).

sure, i didn't say i agree with the policy, just that i do see it's point... call me xenophobic if you want but a large influx of immigrants who don't contribute to the society would send the economy of any country down the shitter

As for Switzerland being most prosperous in Europe ... I'm not sure I can agree with that. Perhaps you could elaborate on what they're most prosperous at?

per capita gdp, quality of life index, median income... generally they're placed in top spots... i know that this doesn't mean everything but as far as quantitative statistics of prosperity go it's as good as it gets

oh and you really need to stop looking for racism everywhere... for all we know (and it's a reasonable assumption), the people's party is trying to keep out ukrainians just as well as algerians... can you think of a better "we vs them" metaphor than kicking out a black sheep?

again, i'm not saying i agree with it, they're definitely pushing tolerance to the limit, but i understand why they feel that way
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 21:01

che wrote:oh and you really need to stop looking for racism everywhere... for all we know (and it's a reasonable assumption), the people's party is trying to keep out ukrainians just as well as algerians... can you think of a better "we vs them" metaphor than kicking out a black sheep?

again, i'm not saying i agree with it, they're definitely pushing tolerance to the limit, but i understand why they feel that way

well, those posters make the skin color seem like main issue, though the black sheep could be a metaphore...
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Senor Penguin Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 23:46

che wrote:
Senor Penguin wrote:

sure, i didn't say i agree with the policy, just that i do see it's point... call me xenophobic if you want but a large influx of immigrants who don't contribute to the society would send the economy of any country down the shitter
There are evidently valid ways you can argue a stance against immigration but doing it the way this party does only puts fuel on a fire, creating even poorer integration and eventually creating more support for their agenda.

The frightening thing is that this party has been on the rise at every election since 1987. It's the first time that they've actually lost a couple of voters during this year's election and that's probably because a handful of people from the same party decided to split up and create their own.

per capita gdp, quality of life index, median income... generally they're placed in top spots... i know that this doesn't mean everything but as far as quantitative statistics of prosperity go it's as good as it gets
Bullsh*te. Just admit that the Scandinavian countries are overall the most prosperous. :coffee: If I had to hand it to someone, it would probably be Sweden.

oh and you really need to stop looking for racism everywhere... for all we know (and it's a reasonable assumption), the people's party is trying to keep out ukrainians just as well as algerians... can you think of a better "we vs them" metaphor than kicking out a black sheep?
The "black" theme is clearly recurring in their advertisements. Black crows taking a bite out of Switzerland? Black people walking all over the Swiss flag? Black sheep getting kicked out of Switzerland by white sheep?

But let's just be naive and assume "black" is just the color they needed for contrast in their campaign ads ...

Let's analyze this:
Switzerland's xenophobia Swisspplsparty2004

And here's the exact same ad, just ... edited a bit:
Switzerland's xenophobia 610x

If that isn't obvious then I don't know what is.

Senor Penguin
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 12:19

If you're really worried, then join another party cheers
http://www.anti-powerpoint-party.com/

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite