McAgger
Firenze
Myesyats
El Gunner
McLewis
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Will you continue to be a member of the GL community if it moves to Discord?

Potential move to Discord Vote_lcap43%Potential move to Discord Voting_bar 43% 
[ 9 ]
Potential move to Discord Vote_lcap57%Potential move to Discord Voting_bar 57% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 21

Poll closed

Potential move to Discord Empty Potential move to Discord

Post by McLewis Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:29 pm

Hey All,

So we (BC, RG and I) have been internally considering moving the forum to a Discord server. Why are we considering this? It's largely down to the fact that message boards, outside of Reddit, are in sharp decline. So it makes sense to seek out a platform more in line with how people communicate today, especially considering this community itself has dwindled over the years for various reasons.

Here is a concise list of the pros and cons we've been weighing:

Pros:

- Discord has pretty robust social, messaging and voice integration with other social gaming and media platforms.
- It can be accessed via browser, desktop app or mobile app on Windows, Apple and Android devices.
- Setting up, managing, maintaining, customizing and joining a Discord server is free to all.

Cons:

- There is no message board structure, like what we have here.
- Discord has been subject to data breaches in the past. 2FA was added a couple of years back to help, but the phone verification side of that isn't great.
- Does not work well with VPNs.

Personally, I've used Discord for over 5 years and have honestly enjoyed it a lot. I've not had any major issues with it during that time and with apps like Twitter collapsing in real-time, combined with what I mentioned at the top of this post above, I've found myself drawn to it more and more.

So we'd like to know what you think about this potential move. Are there more pros and cons to Discord that we're not aware of? If there's something we're missing or have not considered with this move, we need to know as that will factor into our decision-making.

I've added a poll to this thread to help gauge interest in this move. We'll leave this thread open all week and then we'll take the feedback posted here into consideration as we make a decision by the end of next weekend.

Thanks folks.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Potential move to Discord Empty Re: Potential move to Discord

Post by El Gunner Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 pm

no
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:38 pm

IMO this format and classic forum structure is unbeatable and we should keep it running as long as possible

I mean, just because trends are changing it doesnt mean it's always for the better

So imo leaving here should be considered as an absolute last resort
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:57 am

the age of the forum is over, much as I miss it.

I use Discord almost daily and have since 2016, I'm not sure if moving GL there would be a good move in retaining activity, but I am sure the forum will see no real growth anymore in its current format. It'll just continue to dwindle in activity until it dies for good, so discord at the very least will be a good way to keep in touch with people.

Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:21 am

I haven't used Discord ever in my life lol Laughing

For some reason I've always associated Discord with gaming. I don't game at all. Outside of FIFA and 2k when I was younger I've hardly ever played video games.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:16 am

Have some mercy on us. Some of us, actually some of the best contributors, are still using teletext.

What is discord and how does it work?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:20 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:Have some mercy on us. Some of us, actually some of the best contributors, are still using teletext.

What is discord and how does it work?

Potential move to Discord Skjerm59

It's a chat app where you can join servers for different types of content and set up channels under different topics for each server. You can even host your own servers. It's easy to moderate, and has a lot of useful, built in features. I'll fax you the details Thumbs up
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:23 am

It looks something like this

Potential move to Discord Skjerm60

Personally, I don't think a move over to Discord would make much of a difference for the majority of us. It would be more similar to our live match chat than a forum setting, but that likely also means that we'll have more bursts of activity rather than a more stable activity level. Catching up to older messages on Discord is a bit of a pain in the ass compared to on a forum, but it does have other, occasionally useful features, like voice chat and being able to easily tag multiple people for messages. I already use Discord for other things, and I don't need another Discord server that pings me constantly Potential move to Discord 1f602
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:49 am

The pros I can think of is that discord would be good for live chatting during games without having to beg RG to open the chat + dark mode + mobile-friendly app

The downside being the charm of the forum is lost on discord which I think outweighs anything else despite any issues or shortcomings of that format. But then again there are worse options like reddit and stuff

Whatever happens, it’s been a great ride, thanks.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:56 am

Myesyats wrote:The pros I can think of is that discord would be good for live chatting during games without having to beg RG to open the chat + dark mode + mobile-friendly app

then we could do so only for live matches, but that's all...

honestly, moving the whole joint to discord won't improve activity of usual contributors. Because what's so hard about just opening your web browser and posting when you are on your computer, i do it all the time. If anything it might decrease activity because we attach GL with the forum format and might not adapt that sentimental value to a discord format - i know, for one, i definitely will struggle. I already can't understand something like reddit and its layout, can't imagine getting used to a new layout.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Closing the forum will mark the end of this community

Potential move to Discord 200.gif?cid=85b9463drn57pnj6hseo56cma5qsc98picccnx797et7u6pv&rid=200

Keep posting here and some guys may want to keep in touch on Discord or whatever app

I don't understand what the problem is, in fact
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:58 pm

Bad idea IMO. At my age, I struggle to keep up with posting on this forum / format. No way I could adapt to an online chat format.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:21 pm

Firenze wrote:the age of the forum is over, much as I miss it.

I use Discord almost daily and have since 2016, I'm not sure if moving GL there would be a good move in retaining activity, but I am sure the forum will see no real growth anymore in its current format. It'll just continue to dwindle in activity until it dies for good, so discord at the very least will be a good way to keep in touch with people.

That's probably one of the main if not the only reason I kinda went along with the idea. If the activity is dying here and people are slowly disappearing then at least we can have a place where we can always be around without the worry of domain ending or server stopping etc

At least discord is eternal.

But this move is true democracy so power to the people whichever we all go for.

If the vote ends up being remain then we'll try and revamp the entire thing to make it more clean

Myesyats wrote:The pros I can think of is that discord would be good for live chatting during games without having to beg RG to open the chat + dark mode + mobile-friendly app

The downside being the charm of the forum is lost on discord which I think outweighs anything else despite any issues or shortcomings of that format. But then again there are worse options like reddit and stuff

Whatever happens, it’s been a great ride, thanks.

Honestly I wish we never had the option of a live chat feature. As much as I loved it and the insane times we had on it. It was quite bad for forum activity. I mean we lost thousands of posts per day during peak years which would have helped us stay on page 1 in Google search lol.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 pm

I play Asphalt 9 and have my own group over at Discord even though I'm pretty noob at using the app

I love the forum the way it is but I would also welcome the live chatting feature over at Discord
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:30 am

I love Discord, but it's just not a forum.
I'd be fine if we had both, but the kind of long-form discussion, where you can read up on old-ass arguments is pretty exclusive to a forum, and I enjoy that.

Closing the forum would also cost us a lot of members I'd end up missing, I think. Obviously, we might get new peeps on Discord, but still.

Finding someone's 7-year-old prediction on a then-young talent is awesome, especially if it's totally wrong. Can't do that on Discord.
I voted no, and advocate for a big no.

However, it would be cool to have the forum and a Discord server (though you probably don't want to mod both).
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:05 pm

Shit Im down for this move. I also have Discord and plan to use it for a long while.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:15 pm

stop the steal

Lets set up one for live chat and we'll see how we like it
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:23 pm

Good feedback so far.

It's very possible to just setup the Discord alongside the existing forum without eliminating anything. That's definitely a possibility.

One thing we also discussed was making the Discord less football-oriented and more of a general community, with effort put in to grow the userbase beyond where we are now with the forum.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:49 am

I am not super familiar with discord but i voted yes because I think spicing it up or trying different things will give much needed freshness to our already very stale and slowly dying relationship.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:32 am

Make a discord for Goallegacy but don't close this forum, I've grown quite attached to this place and if it disappears one day i'd feel something is missing.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:21 pm

What is Discord, asking from a country where everything is banned Sad lol... is it like Whatsapp? Which I dont know much of either looool... sad shit.. btw, im currently locked down again, fking yay... lucky for WC n GL from feeling like shit naturally when ur locked down time n again Razz So prolly I have to vote no? Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:49 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:What is Discord, asking from a country where everything is banned Sad lol... is it like Whatsapp? Which I dont know much of either looool... sad shit.. btw, im currently locked down again, fking yay... lucky for WC n GL from feeling like shit naturally when ur locked down time n again Razz So prolly I have to vote no? Razz

I've seen people mention that Discord is similar to skype/teamspeak/teams but superior in many ways to all of them, so a bit different than whatsapp/telegram

It doesnt have a "post count" and is indeed similar in format to messaging services.

I might be wrong but it would probably be impossible to dig up 10 year old messages on discord like you can do with posts on GL.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:13 pm

Grabbed this from Discord's website:

Discord is a voice, video, and text chat app that's used by tens of millions of people ages 13+ to talk and hang out with their communities and friends.

People use Discord daily to talk about many things, ranging from art projects and family trips to homework and mental health support. It's a home for communities of any size, but it's most widely used by small and active groups of people who talk regularly.

The vast majority of servers are private, invite-only spaces for groups of friends and communities to stay in touch and spend time together. There are also larger, more open communities, generally centered around specific topics such as popular games like Minecraft and Fortnite. Users have control over whom they interact with and what their experience on Discord is.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:27 pm

I've spent the majority of the last 5 years of my life on discord through various communities and met people who I now consider my best friends who have gotten me through some seriously tough times.

So obviously I have some really positive things to say about it, it's obviously up to you guys but I think it's a good idea. You can still do a lot of the forum like feel this place has tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:28 pm

I think discord would kill the forum, as people wouldn't be posting in match threads as often tbh. Also I won't be able to bump my prophetic posts.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next