Best American Players in MLS: A Good or Bad thing? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Best American Players in MLS: A Good or Bad thing?

3 posters

Go down

Best American Players in MLS: A Good or Bad thing? Empty Best American Players in MLS: A Good or Bad thing?

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri May 30, 2014 4:43 am

MLS has grown significantly in the past 5-10 years. Both in terms of level of play and financial prowess.

In the past, it used to be as soon as any team produced a promising US player, it was off to Europe, Mexico or Latin America because, generally the pay was much better, and players wanted to see how they would fair at a higher level. Maybe its just me but I felt like it used to be any time anyone had a decent run of form in their mid 20-s in MLS was off to a team I most likely never even heard of

But, with the improved financial situations of MLS, which are about to get even higher with the new domestic and international TV deals, which will in all likelihood be reflected in next seasons upcoming CBA, MLS teams now seem keen on bringing in stars from the USMNT, because the big domestic names are much more valuable to teams here in terms of marketing, etc than in Europe, in which where they are from really doesn't matter. Sort of like what we see happening in the BPL, the English 'tax' teams in England generally pay for English players having to go over their real value in all likelihood is.

Dempsey came back. Then Bradley and Edu.. Seems like Shea will be on his way back soon as well.. It wouldn't surprise me to see Altidore come back after the World Cup or teams to bring in others like Mix or Johannsson.

I'm sure this is upsetting from Klinsmann's view.. But basically I was wondering, is this really a bad thing? Where we are as a country right now, where the sport is, and where the league is.. Is it better or worse for the star players to be playing here, where they can make more money, USA fans can watch them play week to week.. Not to mention have to take on bigger roles of leadership, starting regularly and being more accountable for wins and losses.. rather than fighting for spots on random teams in Europe at whatever league or level in bit part roles? What is really better for the sport in the country? Because I feel long term improving the popularity and quality of our domestic league might actually be more beneficial than perhaps the quality of our individuals

As of now, it's hard to convince players from Europe to comer over in their prime.. But American players seem willing to do it. So, is that something we should embrace?.. Or should we keep pushing American's to play in Europe or other leagues as much as possible
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Best American Players in MLS: A Good or Bad thing? Empty Re: Best American Players in MLS: A Good or Bad thing?

Post by McLewis Sat May 31, 2014 10:00 pm

I think this is something that if it keeps happening in the coming season will be a definite win-win for clubs, league and player. Right now, it's more of a win-win for the clubs and the league, but slightly less so for the player.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Best American Players in MLS: A Good or Bad thing? Empty Re: Best American Players in MLS: A Good or Bad thing?

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:26 pm

In 5 years time I think the MLS will have grown enough in the next couple of years. Plus I'm starting to think that the Concacaf tournament will be taken a lot more seriously as now there seems to be even more competion from Central America. Mexican teams are forced to use their first team in Concacaf matches now. All MLS need to do now really is focus on bringing quality talent from abroad. Player production is there.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down