rwo power
LeBéninois
zizzle
Arsenalfaithfull
DeletedUser#1
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals - Page 2 Empty Re: Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals

Post by Valkyrja Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:46 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:France were such underdogs and yet performed so brilliantly, I remember it clearly, their striker was shite, and replied on the whole team to attack and defend at the same time to make up. All 4 defenders was rocks and fullbacks great going forward, Thuram 2 goals in the Semi, etc. The final was such a surprise and drama. Great WC for Zidane, nightmare one for Ronaldo... Netherlands back then was also awesome.

Zidane wasn't great until the final, but his presence was felt by the others, even though he wasn't at his best. Ronaldo was better throughout the tournament.

Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals - Page 2 Empty Re: Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals

Post by zizzle Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Speaking of the 98 Final, any idea what happened to Ronaldo ?

i remember hearing all kinds of conspiracy theories back then but i never really cared to "investigate"...untill now, sorta

Here's what could be a bunch of bullcrap but its a fun read anyway.
http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/worldcupwonderland/archive/2010/06/05/98-what-went-on-with-ronaldo-before-the-final.aspx
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:22 am

rwo power wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:- Jorge Campus in net for Mexico with his ridiculous jerseys.....HERNANDEZ (the one that looked like Forlan) was king of Mexico back then.
Don't you dare hate on Jorge Campos! He sure was unique! Very Happy
(Today's GK kits are so boring in comparison...)

Wish things would go back to these wild kit days. Jorge was styling hard

Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals - Page 2 Jorge-Campos1

Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals - Page 2 Jorgecampos

Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals - Page 2 CamposES_228x310

Football Nostalgia- Watched all 1998 WC Goals - Page 2 Tumblr_m8lnhwdsOX1qd0d7bo1_400
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:31 am

BarcaLearning wrote:France were such underdogs and yet performed so brilliantly, I remember it clearly, their striker was shite, and replied on the whole team to attack and defend at the same time to make up. All 4 defenders was rocks and fullbacks great going forward, Thuram 2 goals in the Semi, etc. The final was such a surprise and drama. Great WC for Zidane, nightmare one for Ronaldo... Netherlands back then was also awesome.

Thuram's goals , Wow. the only 2 goals he scored for his NT ,were the more crucial ones.

Great final for Zidane but Ronaldo was better throughout the whole tournament imo .

something happened to Ronaldo before that final , for sure. A crisis or something like.

LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:36 am

I always thought he just had a nervous break down from the pressure of leading his countrys hopes in a final. Who knows. It was odd
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:42 am

windkick wrote:I always thought he just had a nervous break down from the pressure of leading his countrys hopes in a final. Who knows. It was odd

I don't know but don't think it was a nervous break down. Pressure was on his shoulders but this pressure

was shared by Dunga, Leonardo, Dunga , Cafu, Carlos ...
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:16 am

windkick wrote:I always thought he just had a nervous break down from the pressure of leading his countrys hopes in a final. Who knows. It was odd

He had convulsions, Ronaldo doesn't know the meaning of pressure :coffee: 
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:25 am

From what I remember Ronaldo had a seizure right before the final. That's why he was a ghost throughout the game.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:12 am

elitedam wrote:From what I remember Ronaldo had a seizure right before the final.  That's why he was a ghost throughout the game.

I watched the final,and yes Ronaldo was no where to be seen throughout the whole match.

Surely Brazil had other options in attack? i mean what is the point of playing someone when they are not 100% fully fit or even close?
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:32 am

Grooverider wrote:
elitedam wrote:From what I remember Ronaldo had a seizure right before the final.  That's why he was a ghost throughout the game.

I watched the final,and yes Ronaldo was no where to be seen throughout the whole match.

Surely Brazil had other options in attack? i mean what is the point of playing someone when they are not 100% fully fit or even close?
Because a 50% ronaldo is better then most strikers.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:25 am

Donuts wrote:
Grooverider wrote:

Because a 50% ronaldo is better then most strikers.

...well, obviously not.

...Hence the reason they went onto lose the game 3-0...
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:26 am

so it's ronaldo's fault they conceded three goals? Surprised I mean it has nothing to do with Zidane or a powerful France squad right?
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by elitedam Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 am

It's easy to criticize now after the way things turned out. That being said, we did have Edmundo on the bench who, although he was a lunatic, was very talented and Romario was cut from the squad weeks before the WC after he picked up a slight injury which would force him to miss the beginning of the tournament.
elitedam
elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Grooverider Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:48 am

Donuts wrote:so it's ronaldo's fault they conceded three goals? :oI mean it has nothing to do with Zidane or a powerful France squad right?

Of course France played fantastic on the day and deserved the win.

Im sorry but i never said it was Ronaldos 'fault' at all, im simply trying to say that playing the guy when he clearly was not fit was a massive mistake, surely Edmundo who was sat on the bench could of been used more effectively perhaps?
or any other forward they had for that matter.

I just think playing someone based on reputation, regardless of how unwell/unfit he was the night before and on the actual day was a complete waste of time.
Grooverider
Grooverider
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:05 am

Zagallo asked Ronaldo if he is ok and he said 'yes', so of course he played.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:38 pm

I wondered how happened for ages after that final as well, and hearing ppl who bet say sometimes it was rigged and stuff. Others as u all mentioned, ROnaldo had some problem just b4 the match.

The teamsheet an hour b4 the match was given with Edmundo in the starting lineup, but Ronaldo turned up, it was very controversial... I guess we will never know, wonder why no media or anyone managed to interview Ronaldo since then to find out why....

As for France, they were just so good as a team in that tourny, 2 goals conceded only, and I think Brazil lost to Norway in the group stage, and had flaws.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by drakefyre Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Zagallo asked Ronaldo if he is ok and he said 'yes', so of course he played.

Do you want to play in a WC final ?

No-brainer .

IMO , Brazil were the best NT at the time , and would have won the tournament but for Ronaldo's injury , Zagallo's adamancy in not including Romario in the squad .

Have to say , the French defence though was godly .

Thuram - Blanc - Desailly - Lizarazu
:bow:
drakefyre
drakefyre
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2