Lex
Mamad
The Franchise
ronalessi
Onyx
98 posters

Page 16 of 23 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19 ... 23  Next

Go down

Manchester United vs Real Madrid discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: Manchester United vs Real Madrid discussion

Post by sportsczy Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:24 pm

As far as the game... Man U parked the bus and countered while we tried to make the game. None of the Madrid forward line impressed me much (CR7, Ozil, Di Maria and Higuain). Higuain was playing very hard though and did make a couple of great centering balls. If you had to pick the best of them, it would be him.

Madrid doesn't know how to break a PTB team. It's been proven ad nauseum.

Madrid, midfield was meh as usual.

As far as the defense... very good first half. Second half was a bit more difficult. Man U never got clean plays to goal. But the 50/50 balls started mostly bouncing their way. I didn't like that a midfielder didn't pinch back to help sweep away some the loose balls.... they just sat there until either a CB or a forward got to it. Vidic was an absolute beast in the air. He was tightly marked too... but just fought his way to the ball. Lopez saved us.

I think La Liga teams have a hard time on set plays and physical play in the box in general. Why? You can't play tough and dirty in the box in La Liga. Too many things get called. In CL, the box is a "free zone". La Liga defenders try to play too clean, if that makes sense.

I don't really want to comment on the attacking game when it got to 10 v 11 because it's not very indicative. If you can't create chances against a team that is a man down, then you're not worth a thing.

sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Manchester United vs Real Madrid discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: Manchester United vs Real Madrid discussion

Post by Lex Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Where are all the United fans? Is there a free Boddington and condom night in the town centre I wasn't aware of?
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:27 pm

No one said intent was all that mattered, but it has a factor, or at least it should, in a referee's decision.

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by ronalessi Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Lex wrote:Where are all the United fans? Is there a free Boddington and condom night in the town centre I wasn't aware of?

Proud
ronalessi
ronalessi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 pm

People actually think that was a red card? rofl

paddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm

The Franchise wrote:
sportsczy wrote:If i understand correctly, you can do a roundhouse leg kick Bruce Lee style as long as you don't know another player's around and you're trying to play the ball. If someone happens to get in the way, that's tough luck on him.

Got it.

Come on Sport, give me more respect than this, I think I earnt that much no?

Nani's effort to control the ball was a normal one, players do it all the time, I see it every game.

A roundhouse kick, I usually never see.

I think I deserve a little more credit than that.
If his plant foot was on the ground, i'd agree with you. But he was running towards the ball, jumped and had both feet in the air with a high foot and studs showing.

Just getting annoyed with everyone crying about a call when it wasn't even that bad. Sure, i would have given a yellow because nobody got hurt, it's CL and we're talking Man U v Madrid... but it's not an unjustified call. It wasn't a mistake. Everyone just wishes that the ref had been lenient for the good of the match.

Nothing personal Dani... just generally annoyed at the reaction. Sorry if i went overboard lol. I can get like that as you all well know.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 pm

Nah, its fine, I just think there is a big difference.

Anyway, lets agree to disagree here. I am sick of talking about it and I bet your sick of defending it.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:33 pm

The Franchise wrote:Nah, its fine, I just think there is a big difference.

Anyway, lets agree to disagree here. I am sick of talking about it and I bet your sick of defending it.

I was about to say Dani, please stop.

You know you're getting nowhere here.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:34 pm

People need to realise Nani wasnt trying to tackle anyone or win the ball I've read so many times on this thread. He was trying to bring it down from the air and control itI seen that many times in every single match similar attempts to control the ball. He had no idea arbeloa was coming towards him until it was too late, hence no red IMO.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Yeah. What's done is done. If it had happened to Madrid instead, you better believe i'd be crying hard about it lol.

It was a shame for the game tbh. It was very even until then. Mou was about ready to bring on the full attacking force too... it would have gotten very entertaining with wide open spaces.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Die Borussen Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 pm

it got entertaining, after the red the game exploded, for the neutrals that red was a good thing

Die Borussen
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Manchester United vs Real Madrid discussion - Page 16 Papaji_ProudSmile72
"It always makes me Proud to see Dani's and Sports signature jousts regarding the most precarious situations, end in the most respectful and affable terms, thus preserving future debates"
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Lex wrote:Where are all the United fans? Is there a free Boddington and condom night in the town centre I wasn't aware of?

Seriously man that's enough. It's none of our business.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 pm

RealGunner wrote:

I've missed the vitriol directed towards anyone who doesn't support the same team as you on this forum Smile

paddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 pm

sportsczy wrote:As far as the game... Man U parked the bus and countered while we tried to make the game. None of the Madrid forward line impressed me much (CR7, Ozil, Di Maria and Higuain). Higuain was playing very hard though and did make a couple of great centering balls. If you had to pick the best of them, it would be him.

Madrid doesn't know how to break a PTB team. It's been proven ad nauseum.

Madrid, midfield was meh as usual.

As far as the defense... very good first half. Second half was a bit more difficult. Man U never got clean plays to goal. But the 50/50 balls started mostly bouncing their way. I didn't like that a midfielder didn't pinch back to help sweep away some the loose balls.... they just sat there until either a CB or a forward got to it. Vidic was an absolute beast in the air. He was tightly marked too... but just fought his way to the ball. Lopez saved us.

I think La Liga teams have a hard time on set plays and physical play in the box in general. Why? You can't play tough and dirty in the box in La Liga. Too many things get called. In CL, the box is a "free zone". La Liga defenders try to play too clean, if that makes sense.

I don't really want to comment on the attacking game when it got to 10 v 11 because it's not very indicative. If you can't create chances against a team that is a man down, then you're not worth a thing.

Pretty much agree.

I think Man Utd did a good job identifying the right players to close down and the right players to give a cushion to. Its something we fail to do constantly.

They allowed Khedira, Arbeloa and either of the centerbacks (mostly Ramos) to have the ball and have them try to think and make the decision as much as possible.

But Di Maria, Cristiano and Ozil, they kept very tight to. Di Maria they cut of his leg foot every time, Ozil they couldnt win the ball from (he is too good) so they sat behind him and just didnt let him turn..let him have it, but not facing the goal..and Cristiano, they could allow Rafael to mark because he ad the quicks to stay with him and had help inside.

Higuain they allowed to have the ball, to mixed results. He put in some dangerous balls at you said, but other times he took too long on the ball and ended up making a negative ball anyway.

So overall, I think Man Utd did the right thing. I also think any coach who studies this and has the players can pull this off again.

Its times like we miss Pep, because he would of noted this too and when you break our press, we would do a better job matching you up and key-ing in on these things.

Anyway, Man Utd did as I expected and I think while Madrid won the game, there must be a least some quite worry for them or at least Mourinho, because they might have this same trouble later on.

I think Juventus would be a great one, they could repeat this plan pretty easily and perhaps Bayern also.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:39 pm

Mourinho's tactics against PTB schemes is downright terrible tbh. Want to beat Madrid? PTB and counter. We're helpless against that...
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:39 pm

paddy wrote:
RealGunner wrote:

I've missed the vitriol directed towards anyone who doesn't support the same team as you on this forum Smile

PADDDYYYYYY!!!

I thought about you the other day. I thought of quality posters back in the day and good ol' Paddy came up in my head.

Good to see your still around mate Razz
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 pm

paddy wrote:
RealGunner wrote:

lol long time paddy
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Idiot wrote:it got entertaining, after the red the game exploded, for the neutrals that red was a good thing
Disagree, it became very predictable.

If there was 15 minutes to go, maybe..but 30 minutes is far too long for Utd to hold out for.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Idiot wrote:it got entertaining, after the red the game exploded, for the neutrals that red was a good thing
Disagree, it became very predictable.

If there was 15 minutes to go, maybe..but 30 minutes is far too long for Utd to hold out for.

Yup, totally killed the game

paddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 am

It doesn't matter if Nani didn't do it intentionally or whether he saw Arbeloa or not. At the end of the day it was dangerous play. The ref was within his rights to give a red card.

There's no injustice.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by VanDeezNuts Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:12 am

I dont think it was a red but the fact of the matter is nani went up with a high boot. Didn't win the ball and cleated a player in the chest.

VanDeezNuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:15 am

vanDEEZ wrote:I dont think it was a red but the fact of the matter is nani went up with a high boot. Didn't win the ball and cleated a player in the chest.

Manchester United vs Real Madrid discussion - Page 16 Nani

This picture says it all.

The Red Card was most definitely harsh, but the calls against it are highly blown out of proportion. If it is above the pelvis with studs up, there is a reasonable hypothesis in pulling out the dismissive card.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:17 am

Let's not forget United's goal from a false corner at the Bernabeu
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:17 am

Red card changed the whole game. Before that Man United were easily the better team. It seems like Mou doesn't know how to play against teams the defend deep and play on the counter.

About the red card, when you have studs up in the air and there is contact there is always a better chance of the player to be sent off than be given a yellow. However the most important element to think about in these kind of situations is intent. Was there intent? If there wasn't no red card. Clearly Nani showed no intent in the challenge giving at least a possible yellow card.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 am

EarlyPrototype wrote:Let's not forget United's goal from a false corner at the Bernabeu

Lets not forget the Varane red card as well...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 23 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19 ... 23  Next