Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world ?

+6
DeviAngel
Cotes
lucianomoggi
LWL91
AttacanteBG
pasquale22
10 posters

Go down

Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world ? Empty Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world ?

Post by pasquale22 Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:34 am

Edinson Cavani has simply continued where he left off last season in Serie A. Once more, the striker has taken on the mantle of the main man, the key figure in front of goal, the talisman and quite possibly the player the Neopolitans have been crying out for since the days of a certain little Argentine.

Cavani has had yet another scintillating start to the season and his form is genuinely begging the question - is Cavani the best striker in the world? Already this year he has hit a devastating hatrick against reigning champions Milan, almost single-handedly downing the best team in the country. He hit trebles on no less than three occasions last season in important victories over Sampdoria, Juventus and Lazio and deservedly ended the season as the club's top scorer ever in a single Serie A season with 25 goals.

'El Matador' would likely have hit more to finish the campaign as Capocannoniere were it not for a suspension towards the end of the season for his sarcastic applause after being sent off which allowed Udinese marksman Antonio Di Natale to surpass him but the world had sat up to take notice of the tall Uruguayan striker after a truly phenomenal season. One man who will have been both embarrassed and shocked at the form shown by Cavani will be the fiery Palermo President Maurizio Zamparini. He allowed the striker to move on loan to Naples and then make the move official for a fee of just 17 million euros.

Cavani, whose sublime scoring has even earned him his own pizza in his adopted city (which interestingly he does not like as it "contains too many toppings"), has repaid that investment every weekend since. He can rightly hold a claim to being the world's best. There are of course the obvious contenders and outstanding talents like Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo who many consider to be untouchable. Their goalscoring records speak for themselves but so too does that of the Napoli striker. So far his record in Serie A for Napoli shows that he has played 39 games for the Partenopei and has hit the back of the net 29 times in this period of time. Absolutely outstanding.

Why should Cavani not be considered as the best? The answer would seem to lie in the media. Serie A does not benefit from the overall coverage and exposure that the players like Messi and Ronaldo's La Liga does or Sergio Aguero and Wayne Rooney's English Premier League enjoys. Players are not given the same praise and treatment if they play in Serie A and although most would recognise Cavani as possibly a 'decent goalscorer', few would acknowledge him as being one the best as the hardcore followers of the Italian championship would.

He came to the attention of those in England though last month when Manchester City took on Napoli at home in the Champions League expecting to easily dispose of their opponents. Edinson Cavani had other ideas though with his well-taken strike making him Napoli's first ever goalscorer in the Champions League and earning his side an important draw.

He also managed to score a number of crucial goals in European games last season for the Azzurri on their Europa League adventure and it seems that the bigger the occasion, the better the performance from Cavani. That, perhaps more than any other quality, is the mark of a truly potent and top class striker. Most good strikers can score against the 'lesser' sides they come up against but the Matador does so when the chips are down and his team need him to step up. His many strikes against the likes of Milan, Roma, Lazio and Juventus are evidence of this.

Cavani is absolutely clinical for the San Paolo side and when he is on the ball you can genuinely feel the excitement and expectation rise around the stadium. Also, Cavani has that other masterful technique which sets him apart from a great deal of the rest and that is his lethal ability to score goals from anywhere. He can score with both feet, with his head, from the penalty spot, from the six yard box and from 30 yards. He is a genuinely special player and is deserving of every plaudit that comes his way.

What about the striker himself though? Would he agree with this assessment on himself that most fans of calcio now have? True to his humble and modest nature Cavani shrugs it off and would much rather concentrate on the team as a whole and securing the Scudetto. "I enjoy scoring and playing for these fans," the Uruguayan said, "but I dream of the Scudetto. All I want is the title." If Napoli are to fight for the Scudetto it will be his goals and his performances that decide the outcome.

As things stand and with his terrific performances over the past year or so for both club and country, you could not discount him as another great striker anymore. Cavani has deserved to now be spoken of alongside the best. When talking of the best strikers in the world he should be mentioned alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Aguero. His goals alone have earned him that right. Whether or not he should be spoken of as being better than these players, well you can make your own mind up on that.
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world ? Empty Re: Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world ?

Post by AttacanteBG Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 am

No, not yet.

He is great though, reminds me of Gilardino's season in Parma.

Hat-tricks to Milan and Juve isn't small thing.
AttacanteBG
AttacanteBG
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world ? Empty Re: Is Edinson Cavani the best striker in the world ?

Post by LWL91 Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 am

If he nets +20 this season as well I definitely start believing he can become one of the best, but right now he's not..
LWL91
LWL91
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by pasquale22 Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:52 am

Oops I thought I posted this in the general section. My bad. Anyway why not? I mean I thought it was Rooney up until the first month but now Cavani is definitely pushing it
pasquale22
pasquale22
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by lucianomoggi Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:11 pm

CAVANI is a really great striker on peak performance and scoring lot of goals

but I wouldn't say he is the best because there are strikers like C RONALDO, MESSI who score lot of goals and also make assists and different kind of things that help the team play better

lucianomoggi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotes Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:46 pm

YES HE IS!!!
FORZA EDI CAVANI!!! Very Happy
Cotes
Cotes
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Want me to move it general section?
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Rooney > Cavani but they hardly play the same role.

Cavani is a good finisher, hes tall, strong, fast, and finishes with both feet accurately as well as with his head.

Rooney does all that and is a better passer and harder worker. The 2 of them together would be something else im sure
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Cavani is Ibra 2.0 in his style
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nature Boy Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 pm

DeviAngel wrote:Cavani is Ibra 2.0 in his style

i disagree.

Cavani is good but he is just a striker... Ibrahimovic in his heydey could singlehandedly WIN YOU THE LEAGUE. He can do all that cavani can, but he could also beat ppl off the drible and had an INSANE touch.

When was the last time Cavani beat someone with trickster-esque dribbling? Not taking anything away from him, but him and Ibra are more dissimilar than similar IMO
The Nature Boy
The Nature Boy
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:47 pm

He could be if he keeps on performing like he is now.

But, even though I agree Messi and Ronaldo are definitely the 2 best complete strikers going at the moment we can't really forget that they are strikers for the 2 best teams in La liga as opposed to the defensive minded, tactical Serie A or the Premier league where you may not get many opportunities to shoot.

With the gap between the first 2 and the rest in La Liga you can see why the strikers churn out crazy goals to games ratios.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:52 pm

TomJuve wrote:He could be if he keeps on performing like he is now.

But, even though I agree Messi and Ronaldo are definitely the 2 best complete strikers going at the moment we can't really forget that they are strikers for the 2 best teams in La liga as opposed to the defensive minded, tactical Serie A or the Premier league where you may not get many opportunities to shoot.

With the gap between the first 2 and the rest in La Liga you can see why the strikers churn out crazy goals to games ratios.

I don't see them as ST's they are more like LW and RW who can score ....

Cavani is typical ST

DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm

DeviAngel wrote:
TomJuve wrote:He could be if he keeps on performing like he is now.

I don't see them as ST's they are more like LW and RW who can score ....

Cavani is typical ST

Yeah, I agree it's just they always end up the main scorer and main target on there respective teams. It would be unfair to compare actual wingers with them. Very Happy

If we're going for out and out strikers then Cavani is up there with the best.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by elm_baraja_shaman Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:59 pm

why was thread locked? Evil or Very Mad
elm_baraja_shaman
elm_baraja_shaman
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 pm

No idea bro. It started getting better and better.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by elm_baraja_shaman Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:02 pm

TomJuve wrote:No idea bro. It started getting better and better.

yes probably cro/troll went crying to the mods as usual.... :arrow:
elm_baraja_shaman
elm_baraja_shaman
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 pm

elmystique wrote:

Yep, seems to be the theme now.

InB4 his response.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by elm_baraja_shaman Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:06 pm

TomJuve wrote:
elmystique wrote:

InB4 his response.

inb4 he gets this thread locked too banana
elm_baraja_shaman
elm_baraja_shaman
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:14 pm

elmystique wrote:
TomJuve wrote:
elmystique wrote:

InB4 his response.

Razz Razz
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyzar Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:16 pm

elmystique wrote:
TomJuve wrote:
elmystique wrote:

InB4 his response.

He is a crybaby troll :coffee:
Keyzar
Keyzar
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:21 pm

I have nothing against any forum user personally, but he is truely my foe on goal legacy. Razz

More on-topic, another thing about Cavani, he can do so much damage with just a few half-chances on goal. He's made a believer out of me.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotes Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Which other player has ever scored a hat-trick with his head?
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: CAVANI IS THE BEST!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Cotes
Cotes
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down