la liga should embrace the scottish comparison..

+32
Abramovich
teamanarchy
the xcx
Seppuku
free_cat
Giuvitojuve
paperbackwriter
Rafinha
REWB
Red Alert
Dnmac4
izzy
NiallQuinnsdiscoPants
Senor Penguin
kiranr
M99
EarlyPrototype
RED
BeautifulGame
mowgli
che
maverick
Lord Spencer
Mamad
BarcaKizz
Adit
Nishankly
Lord Hades
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Ganso
Mr Nick09
cyberman
36 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

la liga should embrace the scottish comparison.. - Page 3 Empty Re: la liga should embrace the scottish comparison..

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jul 2011, 17:20

cyberman wrote:FFS La Liga fans

Its not about who won the league, its about how hard they have to work to win it..these EPL comparisons are unnecessary.
Our midfield has reached 3 CL finals in 4 years, setting every record along the way.
Gosh our midfield sucks
FYI Arsenal were our main challengers last year, Chelsea only came into it when Arsenal fell away.
2 years ago lvpool were the main challengers while I expect City to be our main threat this year.
In no way is our leagues similar, if you think were about the same standard in terms of being made to work for it, then find another sport.
read this thread slowly and then post some salient points please.
ffs you have other teams in La Liga coming out with their fears about the league, but i am shocked... SHOCKED I SAY.... that the Spanish old firm dont think theres much wrong

Well Malaga are proving to be a big force now in La Liga and with Getafe starting to spend from next season along with Villareal atm and I would hope some more competition from Valencia as well.

I think the league will start to be more competitive now and as we move into the future with the reconstruction of TV rights as well as teams with lots of money come around to the playing field

Within a few years La Liga will be just as competitive anywhere else.

Alot of leagues go through periods like this and often worse. Look at AC Milan in the early 90's they dominated Serie A, Barcelona are doing the same now, Lyon made Ligue 1 a joke for 10 years and you have Inter's multiple championships in a row.

You have Man Utd and Chelsea and although I will admit the BPL has been competitive it's become almost predictable that Arsenal will drop away and Chelsea and Man Utd will be left to fight it out for the title. If Man City didn't get bought out by the sheiks I doubt there would be any threat to that top two domination for years to come.

Unfortunately La Liga's running parties are incompetent to say the least but eventually with cashed up clubs and TV right restructure La Liga will balance out, prob as much as any moment in La Liga history.

Back to top Go down

la liga should embrace the scottish comparison.. - Page 3 Empty Re: la liga should embrace the scottish comparison..

Post by Dnmac4 Sat 23 Jul 2011, 17:36

"Man Utd got owned week after week away from home last year, Chelsea went 2 months hardly winning a game, arsenal won 1 in 14 or something in the run in...so how is the competitiveness the same?"

Is this guy Cyber serious?? Didn't Man United not lose an EPL game until almost the end of the season????????? I constantly see this guy post nonsense and just not care about reality.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sat 23 Jul 2011, 17:42

In fact, here you go. Please take your head out of your ass.

On 1 February 2011, United equalled the club record league unbeaten run of 29 matches, after a 3–1 win over Aston Villa at Old Trafford. They failed to extend the run however, succumbing to a 2–1 defeat against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux on 5 February 2011.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat 23 Jul 2011, 17:49

dnmac4 wrote:"Man Utd got owned week after week away from home last year, Chelsea went 2 months hardly winning a game, arsenal won 1 in 14 or something in the run in...so how is the competitiveness the same?"

Is this guy Cyber serious?? Didn't Man United not lose an EPL game until almost the end of the season????????? I constantly see this guy post nonsense and just not care about reality.

I hate to back Cyber up, but did you see Utd's away record last season?

They won like 5 away games all season Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat 23 Jul 2011, 17:51

5 away wins?! Roy be jizzing.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sat 23 Jul 2011, 17:51

So "getting owned it drawing". Got it.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dnmac4 Sat 23 Jul 2011, 17:56

United were 9 points clear at the end of the season. They walked away with it. Numbers don't lie, you can pretend it was some epic struggle, but in the end Madrid was closer to Barca then Chelsea to united. 3rd place really doesn't matter when you talking about winning a league.
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Sat 23 Jul 2011, 17:57

Liga is Quality. no matter if there is no huge Competition for Title. not every Competitive league is quality.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat 23 Jul 2011, 18:02

Do you always type in bold?
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat 23 Jul 2011, 18:12

there is no way RM would walk the epl, they are just not good enough, the 09 man utd team with ronaldo didnt even walk the league and they were a better team ffs.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Sat 23 Jul 2011, 21:04

ynwa wrote:Do you always type in bold?

Yes :coffee:
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rafinha Sat 23 Jul 2011, 21:33

Top leagues are all two horse race nowadays. But the question is how much competition they get from other teams from the league. Surely La Liga is inferior to all in this aspect. But then again fans can use the excuse of greatness RM and Barca. And I believe two teams like them would have dominated any league.
But when it comes about which league is better my vote will go to LaLiga. People always use the excuse of two horse race to deny LaLiga's quality while ignoring how competitive and strong are other 18 teams. In EPL you get top 6 are good teams and competitive in Europe level. Other teams are average and much more inferior to LaLiga's bottom teams. Teams like Hercules had Drenth, N Valez and Trezeguet in last season and yet they got relegated. I cant say Blackpool were in same level with them. All in all Liga's bottom teams are very underrated and yet they asserted themselves in Europa league by winning 4 or 5 titles in last decade.
Rafinha
Rafinha
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sat 23 Jul 2011, 21:45

che wrote:madrid have too much individual quality to continually lose points over the course of a season

and it's no surprise barcelona are walking the league, their last 2 games against the english champions looked like a charity game against special needs children... what chance do small la liga teams on their tiny budgets have if barcelona are treating the glorious manchester united like a doormat every time they meet...

It's really annoying the way you always suck up to Barca. Evil or Very Mad
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbackwriter Sat 23 Jul 2011, 22:18

About 50 % of La Liga teams are capable of playing a better game against Barcelona than Man Utd did in the CL final... Two times in a row. Real Madrid thrashed Tottenham easier than most La Liga teams. They would run away with the competition just as easy in England.
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by che Sat 23 Jul 2011, 22:54

Devil-Is-Red wrote:

so man utd didn't get completely obliterated in both cl finals they played against barcelona?

mkay...
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sat 23 Jul 2011, 23:04

che wrote:
Devil-Is-Red wrote:

so man utd didn't get completely obliterated in both cl finals they played against barcelona?

mkay...

2-1 and 2-0 do not equate to complete obliteration mate. And don't come to me with possession statistics because empty possession does not mean a thing. I am not a fan of both teams, and not a fan of Madrid so don't think I am talking to defend anyone. It just annoys me when someone over exaggerates. It means people actually listen to our rubbish selling media.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by che Sat 23 Jul 2011, 23:08

they were outplayed, completely out of their depth... ferguson said as much himself ffs

i always exaggerate in my posts... deal with it :coffee:
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Giuvitojuve Sat 23 Jul 2011, 23:13

Against bottom 1/2 competition.

Man United Won 14 games, Drew 5, lost 1. Of the wins recorded, 4 of them were by a scoreline greater than 2 goals.

Chelsea Won 15 games, Drew 3, lost 2. Of the wins recorded, 5 of them were by a scoreline of 2 goals or more.

Barcelona Won 16 games, Drew 3, lost 1. Of the wins recorded 8 were by a scoreline of 2 goals or more.

Real Madrid Won 16 games, Drew 4, lost 0. Of the wins recorded, 7 were by a scoreline of 2 goals or more.

There is a slightly higher difference in a top 2 team from La Liga beating their lower 1/2 of the table opponent. The real difference is in the likelihood of them beating a 3-10 opponent, which is much greater than that in the EPL. Also, there is almost double the chance of a La Liga top 2 team annihilating a smaller team by a gigantic scoreline, than there is in the EPL.

----

Those are just facts. You can take them to suit your arguments however you please.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Those are the stats, if you guys want to compare it to the "SPL", you're more than welcome to.
Giuvitojuve
Giuvitojuve
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbackwriter Sun 24 Jul 2011, 01:25

Giuvitojuve wrote:Against bottom 1/2 competition.

Man United Won 14 games, Drew 5, lost 1. Of the wins recorded, 4 of them were by a scoreline greater than 2 goals.

Chelsea Won 15 games, Drew 3, lost 2. Of the wins recorded, 5 of them were by a scoreline of 2 goals or more.

Barcelona Won 16 games, Drew 3, lost 1. Of the wins recorded 8 were by a scoreline of 2 goals or more.

Real Madrid Won 16 games, Drew 4, lost 0. Of the wins recorded, 7 were by a scoreline of 2 goals or more.

There is a slightly higher difference in a top 2 team from La Liga beating their lower 1/2 of the table opponent. The real difference is in the likelihood of them beating a 3-10 opponent, which is much greater than that in the EPL. Also, there is almost double the chance of a La Liga top 2 team annihilating a smaller team by a gigantic scoreline, than there is in the EPL.

----

Those are just facts. You can take them to suit your arguments however you please.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Those are the stats, if you guys want to compare it to the "SPL", you're more than welcome to.

You have to consider that there are some essential league rule differences between EPL and La Liga. In EPL, goal difference matter, while in La Liga it's only head-to-head record that is used when teams share the same points. So when a La Liga team are down 2-3 goals against Madrid or Barcelona, the only reason to keep the result from running away is pride. The amount of goals make no difference for the competition. Since they'll never be comparing head-to-head record with the big 2 either way. A EPL team therefor, have much more to play for even when they are loosing 4-0, often parking the bus so that it doesn't go out of control. While La Liga teams rather try to get a goal of their own.
paperbackwriter
paperbackwriter
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by cyberman Sun 24 Jul 2011, 01:37

amazing PBW..never has a team not named Stoke ever taken pride in defending with 11 men like Madrid who like to brag that they gave Barca a game.
You dont win EPLs with flops such as Adebayor, Diarra, Benzema in your side, never mind freaking Arbeloa.
Once again La Liga fans hit out at other leagues rather than discuss their own.
OMG WE EASILY BEAT THE 5TH BEST EPL TEAM WHEN THEY HAD A MAN SENT OFF IN THE 1st 10 MINUTES!!!.
Concrete proof if there ever was any...

When did Madrid become Man City? relying on 1 man to cover the teams shortcomings (cr7/Tevez) while making bold claims with nothing to back it up?
Is this what its come to?

cyberman
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 01:53

Great read this thread.

It's notable to say United won as many away games last season as Blackpool.

I mean, Real Madrid have a great squad, possibly one of the best squads of all time in terms of NAMES...but What have they achieved since 2007 that makes them "THEY'LL WALK BPL" ??

Which European Superhouse have they beaten in Europe (beaten Barcelona once n 9 meetings) that makes saying this statement that they'll rape EPL so easy ?

I mean come on......Man United's squad in 08-09 season was as good as Real Madrid's current one ,IF NOT BETTER....and they didn't walk the league.

They got 90 points, but had less goals scored/goal difference than Liverpool and won so many games at the death. (Vidic home vs Sunderland, Macheda vs Villa, Berbatov @ Rebook, etc)

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sun 24 Jul 2011, 01:58

cyberman wrote:as i type,i am reminded of this..

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1689/comedy/2009/07/24/1402167/goalcom-quotes-of-the-week-dimitar-berbatov-the-fifth-beatle

You Say...
"When I say that La Liga is the same as the Scottish League, I lied. It's worse. Last season, Barcelona and Madrid won more games and scored more goals than Rangers and Celtic, but people think it's the best in the world. The SPL splits up in the [run-in], when the top half only play the top half, and bottom half play the bottom half. There is no easy games, so the SPL is more competitive." For as long as there are Scots working for Goal.com, such staggering claims will be published gleefully, cyberman.

scottish football was so bad at 1 point that the games v the bottom half basicly became a race for goal difference, to combat this, the split the league in 2 for the run in...an attempt to make the games exciting and have an element of peril. all teams would fight cause they had something to play for, be it european qualification etc, so no mid table team laying down because they couldnt be bothered.

i say do the same for la liga, it would mean an extra classico, games v valencia etc...no 8 nils [ saying that...]

embrace the SPL model La Liga, let not the fact that jock Mc highland thought of it first put you off.

I don't understand the bold part: does the scottish league split in two groups??? Since when?
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Seppuku Sun 24 Jul 2011, 02:05

I guess AC Milan isn't a European "Superhouse" anymore. lol.

And frankly, I don't think the Man.United 08-09 squad was anywhere close to this R.Madrid in terms of quality.

Seppuku
Seppuku
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 02:11

^^

Better defense and offense.

Midfield, RM is better in their squad compared to United of 08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Giuvitojuve Sun 24 Jul 2011, 02:17

paperbackwriter wrote:
You have to consider that there are some essential league rule differences between EPL and La Liga. In EPL, goal difference matter, while in La Liga it's only head-to-head record that is used when teams share the same points. So when a La Liga team are down 2-3 goals against Madrid or Barcelona, the only reason to keep the result from running away is pride. The amount of goals make no difference for the competition. Since they'll never be comparing head-to-head record with the big 2 either way. A EPL team therefor, have much more to play for even when they are loosing 4-0, often parking the bus so that it doesn't go out of control. While La Liga teams rather try to get a goal of their own.

Valid point.

Hmm. I see what you mean, but that is still very dependent on the squad. If a team has a particularly shabby back line, and can pile on the pressure from the front. It would be wiser of them to attack and try to get a goal, rather than wait for the next one to seep through (with the GD set up). One sided routs may be interesting if one "large club" does away with the other, but when it's Goliath stepping on David's neck and ruining everyone's bedtime story, it sort of ruins the secondary fan appeal (those watching who are not particularly supporting a club).

Still the stats in terms of win/losses with smaller teams aren't that outrageously different. It's the 3-10 squads that need to get beefed up a bit in La Liga, if you ask me, Valencia is taking some pretty good steps towards that.

____

Once again La Liga fans hit out at other leagues rather than discuss their own.
OMG WE EASILY BEAT THE 5TH BEST EPL TEAM WHEN THEY HAD A MAN SENT OFF IN THE 1st 10 MINUTES!!!.
Concrete proof if there ever was any...

Have to agree with Cyber on this one. I don't understand why it's become an EPL v. La Liga debate when the question was raised as to how La Liga could become more competitive. It's a valid one.

___

I mean, Real Madrid have a great squad, possibly one of the best squads of all time in terms of NAMES...but What have they achieved since 2007 that makes them "THEY'LL WALK BPL" ??

This is the question I really wanted to ask.

I think Real Madrid has a squad that everyone can find atleast one player to envy, but let's be honest. . . "Walk the BPL", that statement is beyond Hyperbolic. Manchester United made it to the CL Final, two times in the last three years and they haven't "walked" the BPL.
Giuvitojuve
Giuvitojuve
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sun 24 Jul 2011, 02:18

Cyberman is completely right that there's a huge difference in quality between Barça & Madrid to the rest of Spanish league. Bigger than in the PL. However, the difference to SL is that in La Liga there are good teams too.

I just think that Barça and Madrid are probably above any other team in Europe right now. Hope I'm not right though, and Madrid is knocked out in CL next season by an english or italian club!!!
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next