Which football period that you enjoyed the most?

+19
sportsczy
Doc
Cruijf
LeBéninois
futbol_bill
FennecFox7
Harmonica
Jay29
BarrileteCosmico
BarcaLearning
Arquitecto
Art Morte
Myesyats
farfan
Nishankly
CBarca
El Gunner
Warrior
guest_07
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_lcap0%Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_lcap0%Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_lcap14%Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_lcap21%Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_lcap21%Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_lcap29%Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 4 ]
Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_lcap14%Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 14

Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Empty Which football period that you enjoyed the most?

Post by guest_07 Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:03 am

Assalamu'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh to Muslim.
Good day to Others.

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Empty Re: Which football period that you enjoyed the most?

Post by guest_07 Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:09 am

Sorry.
For 1985 - 1990,
1985 should change to 1986.

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Which football period that you enjoyed the most? Empty Re: Which football period that you enjoyed the most?

Post by Warrior Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:21 pm

2006-2010 or 2011-2015 it's hard to decide

Not that it was perfect back then but now we are at the lowest point (yet)

There is a bias of nostalgia of course. I find new players boring and no charisma but they are younger than me so i see them as tiktok boys, it's not like watching men play as a kid/teenager. I can be amazed by the talent but i don't develop "emotional" bound with players. Chiellini and Bonucci are the last i'll truly care about i think

But beyond nostalgia i feel football is much worse these days especially since Infantino has taken over Fifa. This guy is a gangster he cares only for money and does not care at all for the game, its heritage, its esthetism. He is corrupt Blatter on steroids. I see increasing importance of sponsors Carabao cup, Allianz stadium 48 teams world cup, 24 teams euro just for longer tournaments. Menacing the existence of Champions League either by scrapping it for ESL or with terrible reforms it ruins my enthusiasm.

Super agents like Mendes and Raiola contribute to lower my enthusiasm
VAR contribute to lower my enthusiasm

Juve midfield is absolute crap. Bentancur and Rabiot don't deserve to wear this jersey even the JJ one. Gtfo and gtfo respectively

Last point is against the globalization of football. As example i dislike how Premier League is taking over artificially because of foreign investors. So their margin as richest league is increasing to detriment of others and it's not even due to England itself nor the quality of their football. Only because TV rights are the most important thing these days. As north american i used to see football as a battle of countries (even league vs league) and i like to have many strong leagues not just 1
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:04 pm

the 2000s easily. So glad i have memories of players like Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Ljungberg, Reyes, Fabregas, van Persie and even Arshavin's little stint with us. And then of course others such as Ronaldinho, Kaka, Del Piero, the GOAT AC Milan defense, watching Messi emerge. All the pain Drogba, Rooney and Ronaldo cost me. Gerrard and Torres' 2009 connection. Lampard, peak Jose Mourinho, Vieira vs Keane, Keown vs Van Nistelrooy.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:07 pm

2006-2010. What compares to the football you watched as a kid? When getting a jersey with one of your favorite players was generally unattainable except for your birthday or Christmas, and you would watch youtube videos of goals and try and replicate them in the yard. When footy on TV was hard to catch, so you really had to research when it would be on and what channel, and you would record it onto a DVD to rewatch later. Chatting shit online with strangers on the Goal.com forums at your middle school library

Hell, my ma let me out of school early one day to watch UCL 09/10 Barca vs Stuttgart in the RO16. Best day ever.

Back then, EA actually gave a shit about FIFA and had tons of cool extras like the FIFA 2006 "Memorable Moments", or the montages they did for Serie A, EPL, Bundesliga, and Ligue Un

I'd be surprised if anyone's answer here doesn't match the football they watched when they were 8-16 years old tbh. The nostalgia is too strong
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:30 pm

I cannot say. Need some mind and brain experts here to explain but I can remember a 2006 LFC vs Bolton game to the subs but I cannot do the same for 2012. 2004-2011 stays with me forever. I have no idea why, I was aged 10 to 17 in those times. So 2006-2010 for me.

What a great question Guest07, Good day to you too :bow:
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:37 pm

CBarca wrote:

I'd be surprised if anyone's answer here doesn't match the football they watched when they were 8-16 years old tbh. The nostalgia is too strong

Simply this Laughing

1998-2006 for me.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:02 pm

Assalamu'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh to Muslim.
Good day to Others.

As a neutral,
I feel that 2001 - 2005 period
have several extraordinary events.
Such as 2001 Uefa Final: Liverpool 5 Alaves 4;
2002 corrupt WC; 😄
2003 CL QFinal: MU 4 Real 3;
2004 CL won by Porto;
2004 Depor comeback vs AC Milan;
2004 Monaco 8 Depor 3;
2004 Euro won by Greece;
2005 Istanbul miracle.

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:57 pm

1921-1925
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:04 pm

I did not read CSpurs comments but on reading now, I agree with his timeline and that brings to me a question while asking our older legends on this forum. I remember things in my teen is that the same for others? Ifty are you still here, would love your thoughts here.

Edit: fck off myeyes
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:29 am

I'm serious. The infamous interwar period
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:28 am

The previous decade, 2010-2020, culminating in Pool's CL and PL trophies. Somehow us winning the Premiership after all those years deflated my interest somewhat in (club) football. It felt like reaching the end of a long journey. From nearly bankrupt and facing administration in 2011 (and a shit squad) to new owners saving the club, through slow and steady improvement to winning the first PL trophy in 30 years felt like "holy shit, it happened!" and the possibility of winning another one shortly after doesn't feel quite as exciting to me.

On top of that, club football being so top heavy has started to feel boring to me. A fairy tale like Leicester's championship is great - as is West Ham doing well this season - but it really feels like over 50% of the competition doesn't matter. It's just filler. The richest clubs compete for the title and share the glamorous CL spots between them; for the rest every season is "if we just don't get relegated it's been a decent season."

So, yeah, the last decade and Liverpool's journey through it has been my most enjoyable and invested time as a football fan.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:08 pm

Now.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:11 pm

guest_07 wrote:Assalamu'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh to Muslim.
Good day to Others.

As a neutral,
I feel that 2001 - 2005 period
have several extraordinary events.
Such as 2001 Uefa Final: Liverpool 5 Alaves 4;
2002 corrupt WC; 😄
2003 CL QFinal: MU 4 Real 3;
2004 CL won by Porto;
2004 Depor comeback vs AC Milan;
2004 Monaco 8 Depor 3;
2004 Euro won by Greece;
2005 Istanbul miracle.

What do u think about the 2004 Euros in terms of corruption if any? I so clearly remember Portugal throwing the game purposely skying every shot... Greece was one of the biggest upsets, the odds must have been huge.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:44 pm

I feel like the period I enjoyed most had far more to do with my own availability to spend time watching & posting on GL about matches than the actual football itself. Football hasn't been the same since I entered the workforce and started caring about it.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:58 pm

The era when the GL chat was still around and we'd stay up watching Match of the Day.

In all seriousness, the easy answer would be 2001-2005 because Arsenal were good and I was a kid, but 2011-2015 ranks high for me because it was the last time I had the time to watch a tonne of football. Nowadays I watch Arsenal, any decent PL game that's on and maybe a big match from Serie A or the Bundesliga. Barely watch La Liga anymore since Sky lost the rights and it ends up on a new network every season. I miss watching different teams and learning about different managers and players.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:05 pm

10-15 easily, the best football ever played by a player. And probably followed by the worst era of fake football with fake referees and fake media hype. Also my first football experience was in WC86 for context.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 pm

The 00-08 years. Ronaldinho made me dream, messi and Ronaldo were coming up, tons of legendary players in figo, R9, and most importantly Zidane, the player who got me into football
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:14 pm

For me the best was the diStefano years in the 50s, however most games in that timeframe were radio broadcasts so I’ll offer another choice 2008 to 2012.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:14 am

How old are you ?
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:31 am

Gonna cheat a little bit because for me there have been a lot of up and downs, its not so much one period as a few amazing years.

2008 because of the best Euro I've ever seen, phenomenal tournament (Turkey comebacks, Holland performances against Italy and France, overall very competitive)
2011 because of the last Milan scudetto
2014 similar to 2008, the best World Cup I've watched (Holland 5-1 Spain, Brazil 1-7 Germany, James Rodriguez, Krul substitution France 5-2 Switzerland, etc.)
2015 because of MSN, first year I stopped hating on Barca and enjoyed Messi
2019 because of Messi's incredible form, was amazing to see what was probably his last GOAT season
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:18 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I feel like the period I enjoyed most had far more to do with my own availability to spend time watching & posting on GL about matches than the actual football itself. Football hasn't been the same since I entered the workforce and started caring about it.

Honestly the same for me.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:37 pm

Doc wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:I feel like the period I enjoyed most had far more to do with my own availability to spend time watching & posting on GL about matches than the actual football itself. Football hasn't been the same since I entered the workforce and started caring about it.

Honestly the same for me.

Yeah I'd like to tag that on to my post about youth tbh. Goes hand in hand and BC put it very well
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:15 pm

LeBéninois wrote:How old are you ?

born in 47, now 74!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:04 pm

For me, it was early to mid-80s. I was very young... but that World Cup in Spain in 1982 was and remains the height of football for me. What a tournament.

Then you had the Euro in 1984.

You had artists dominating the game at every position.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum