Kaladin
Bellabong
Harmonica
25 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 23 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by Thimmy Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:16 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:At least Anthem has some fun aspects, it just doesn't last due to lack of content and poor mission design.

Division is boring AF with crap gunplay, reality is Destiny is still the only good online loot shooter despite the fact people find it cool to hate on.

People hate on it because it was released in a state similar to Anthem, to be fair. And that's without the development issues. Also, greedy DLC plans and pre-order editions that only included some of the expansions despite charging a premium for it hmm

Last edited by Thimmy on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:17 am

200 hours of Baldur's Gate this year. Laughing at current games.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:20 am

Yeah but that's a massively outdated viewpoint, maybe I'm weird but personally when the evidence changes my viewpoint changes.

Also even at Destiny's absolute worse it was never as bad as Anthem currently is.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:30 am

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Yeah but that's a massively outdated viewpoint, maybe I'm weird but personally when the evidence changes my viewpoint changes.

Also even at Destiny's absolute worse it was never as bad as Anthem currently is.

I haven't played Anthem. The flying and flashy abilities look fun and all, but reading about how they had to scramble to put together a game in time for it's release date following a tumultuous development process, gave me the impression that it probably wouldn't turn out that well. It didn't help that they had to extend the initial release date. EA never do that, unless they absolutely have to. Maybe Anthem will go the Destiny route eventually. The game already seems to be flopping, in terms of general opinion. It might go free to play, once they've added enough content to make people stick around.

Who on here has played Apex Legends, by the way? Everyone seems to love it.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:19 am

M99 wrote:https://gearnuke.com/demons-souls-remaster-kotaku-jason-rumor/

@RealGunner @Firenze

NIce. I'm not that interested in playing it again but I probably would, great for people that never got the chance to play it though.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:51 pm

Typical to the Saturn, the top 60-51 games on Retro Sanctuary are almost all Japanese exclusives that were never ported west, while some are inferior ports of PC or Arcade games. Besides a few of these games, the 2D games, that showcase the Saturn's best qualities, these are not a very impressive collection.

Of these games, Magic Knight Rayearth is the only one I played to completion and only one with a complete in-depth review that you can check out.

60- Magic Carpet (1996):

• Genre: Action Strategy

• Publisher: Electronic Arts Developer: Bullfrog Productions.

This is the kind of game where a quick and dirty port simply doesn't work. Originally developed by Peter Molyneux's Bullfrog Productions for the PC, this game was then ported to both the Saturn and the PlayStation 1. Both ports suffered from the typical control problem encountered when porting first-person games.

At its core, Magic Carpet is an interesting offshoot of the God-Strategy genre, where an action-heavy segment of flying around in a magic carpet destroying stuff is augmented by the strategy of spending the mana you collect in your destruction. At its time, the game was a little revolutionary for depicting flying in a fully 3D environment.

Still, if you are interested in trying this game, then the Saturn version is simply too awful to play.

59- Magic Knight Rayearth (1995, 1998):

• Genre: Action Adventure.

• Publisher: Sega, Working Designs; Developer: Sega.

Based on the Magical Girls anime of the same name, this is an Action Adventure game that is pretty good, as I detail in my review of the game. While originally derided by some for not moving away from the 16bit graphics of the previous generations, that ensured that this game looks great now compared to early 3D graphics adopters like Bug! and Mystaria.

An interesting thing about this title is that it was one of the first game's unveiled for the system but ended up being the last official game released in the west.

That's because Sega, in their infinite wisdom, decided that 2D games would not sell well in the west. Instead, they banked on the Saturn's weakest points rather than its strengths. Also, they didn't think that a game featuring 3 little girls as the main characters would sell.

58- Baku Baku Animal (1996):

• Genre: Puzzle.

• Publisher: Sega, Developer: Sega.

The most similar puzzle game to this Japan exclusive puzzler would be Puzzle Fighter, which is the better game. Still, Baku Baku is a good puzzle game for what its worth, even if it doesn't have much going for it in an already crowded market.

57- Dungeons & Dragons Collection (1999):

• Genre: Beat em' Up.

• Publisher: Capcom; Developer: Capcom.

With its late release in 1999, after the Saturn stopped getting games, Dungeons & Dragons Collection was not released west. As a collection of two acclaimed Arcade Beat em' Ups. What differentiates these two games from the rest of the pack is some role-playing elements like experience points and equipment collection.

This probably would have been the rare Beat em' Up that I would have enjoyed since it looked to be more complex than its peers and with a lot of different mechanics.

56- Silhouette Mirage (1997):

• Genre: Action.

• Publisher: Entertainment Software Publishing, Working Designs; Developer: Treasure.

This game is interesting for two reasons. The first being that it signaled the development company, Treasure, moving away from the Sega brand after making some excellent and well-loved games on previous Sega consoles. The second is that the eventual PlayStation port, which was released in the West as opposed to the Saturn version which wasn't, is the better version of the game.

Typical to Treasure games, this is an action-packed game with tons of style. One thing to note is that the color-switching mechanic, which is where enemies can only be damaged with the same colored bullets, is a precursor to Treasure's much loved Ikaruga series.

55- Bust-A-Move 3 (1997):

• Genre: Puzzle.

• Publisher: Taito; Developer: Taito.

I think everyone knows what a Bust-a-Move game plays like, or Bubble Bobble as it is known in Japan. This release on the Saturn is nothing too different. It has an endless arcade mode, some puzzle maps, and some challenge maps, as well as the typical versus modes. Generally, you know what you get with a Bust-a-Move game, and that's always a solid puzzler.

54- Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels (1996):

• Genre: RTS FPS.

• Publisher: Electronic Arts; Developer: Key Game.

53- Real Bout Special (1997):

• Genre: Fighting.

• Publisher: SNK; Developer: SNK, Namco.

Real Bout Special, or Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, is a little-known but much-regarded SNK fighter that was only ported to the West on Arcades, the Neo Geo, and the Wii Virtual Console. Like other Neo Geo ports, the Saturn version is almost perfect; certainly better than the PlayStation port.

The Real Bout series is a spin-off on the Fatal Fury fighting series, where classical characters like Terry Bogard, Mai Shiranui, and Geese Howard are involved in a fighting game with some extra mechanics. Still a 2D fighter with excellent mechanics, the game also employs plane jumping where you can jump between planes. It can't be abused to break the game but adds another layer of strategy that works really well.

It surely is one of the best fighting games on the Saturn, but its final placement will have to wait for other greats to make an appearance first.

52- Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (1997):

• Genre: RTS.

• Publisher: Davidson & Associates; Developer: Blizzard Entertainment.

Does anyone think that Warcraft II on the Saturn would be worth talking about? It's obviously an inferior port to the PC version.

51- Galactic Attack (1995):

• Genre: Shmup.

• Publisher: Taito; Developer: Taito.

Like many games on this list, when it was released, Galactic Attack was criticized for barely developing past the 16bit graphics of the prior generation despite its excellent gameplay. Some doubted whether it was worth it upgrading your console just to play games like this when in the same time "progressive" games like Virtua Fighter 2 and Sega Rally are released.

I am yet to play either of those games, but I doubt they have aged as gracefully as this one.

Galactic Star is a vertical Shmup with few tricks up its sleeve. It is nearly as basic as Shmups go. With a single direction shot, single hit point, and a hell lot of enemies coming and shooting at you. The only twist with this game is that you are both fighting ground "Fixed" enemies as well as the enemies in your own plane. For the ground enemies, you tag them by getting them within the sits of your cursor before you unleash a barrage of lasers at them. The need to manage both ground and airborne enemies is the central gimmick of the game.

With excellent graphics (that was impossible in the 16bit era) and great music, this was one of those Arcade Shmups that are very faithfully ported to the Saturn, cementing its reputation as an excellent Arcade ports machine. One thing I thought is lacking from the game is the ability to dodge any sort of attacks or get some invisibility frames. Without that, this game is a hell to go through for non-advents of the genre.

For the fans, this may be one of the more basic Shmups on the system, but it does everything really well and offers multiple levels of difficulty as well.

This report is a consolidated review of the top 100 list by Retro Sanctuary. It features the reviews I made for the list but also has a brief paragraph about each game in the list that I didn't review. For games without an official review, the opinions I express are purely based on some little playing time and general research about the game and its reception at the time.

Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:48 pm

M99 wrote:https://gearnuke.com/demons-souls-remaster-kotaku-jason-rumor/

@RealGunner @Firenze

Incredible news if true ffs

But i hope they do a proper remaster and not just a HD texture revamp. My circle will be complete after i play that.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:52 pm

I'm not sure if I agree. After playing Dark Souls 3 and moving straight to Dark Souls Remastered it was a total downgrade not just in graphics but far more importantly gameplay mechanics. I ended up stopping after a few hours cause it was a total downgrade from DS3 in every way shape and ofrm.

To think Demon's Souls mechanics are going to be even more outdated than DS1...I think I'll pass.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:09 pm

danyjr wrote:I'm not sure if I agree. After playing Dark Souls 3 and moving straight to Dark Souls Remastered it was a total downgrade not just in graphics but far more importantly gameplay mechanics. I ended up stopping after a few hours cause it was a total downgrade from DS3 in every way shape and ofrm.

To think Demon's Souls mechanics are going to be even more outdated than DS1...I think I'll pass.

That's what i meant. I agree about how bad DS remastered felt after going from DS3 but it's because they didn't really work on it other than changing the textures and bugs.

I doubt they will but i hope they at least use the DS3/BB engine on it.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Thimmy wrote:

I mentioned this before, I do play it and really like it a lot. Rest of GL don't really seem to like BR games though.

Season 1 will launch in March. Game modes with wall running and titans + new legends have leaked. They said more maps will be added too.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:41 pm

M99 wrote:
Thimmy wrote:

I mentioned this before, I do play it and really like it a lot. Rest of GL don't really seem to like BR games though.

Season 1 will launch in March. Game modes with wall running and titans + new legends have leaked. They said more maps will be added too.

I've barely even played any BR games. Never played Fortnite, and I don't have the most recent CoD game.. Black Ops 9 or whatever. I played one or two matches of BR in PUBG. It just seems like a game mode I'd enjoy a lot more when I was in my early 20s. I'll give Apex Legends a try soon, though.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Upcoming game releases for march.

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:54 pm

Way too old for BR games. Specially as a retired gamer.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:26 pm

So hyped for DMC lol
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Same, i havent seen anything apart from the E3 trailer, havent even played the demo.

Cant wait to play it.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:33 pm

Kaladin wrote:Same, i havent seen anything apart from the E3 trailer, havent even played the demo.

Cant wait to play it.

I played the demo, it's why I'm hyped lol. Fully convinced it will be one of the best action games of the generation.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Is it hack n slash?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:41 pm

RealGunner wrote:Is it hack n slash?

Yes, but the best thing about it is how you spring combos together really smoothly.

The game does a great job of looking flashy as hell while making you feel really good while putting enemies aways.

When you get good you'll feel every bit as talented and cocky as the characters you portray.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Seemingly we are getting a trailer for Respawn's Star Wars game in April.

Which if nothing else makes me think it is actually coming this year.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:55 pm

What's a better time than to release it around Episode 9? lol
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:57 pm

RealGunner wrote:What's a better time than to release it around Episode 9? lol

Agreed, hoping it will be good. Trust the developer but afraid of EA messing Evil or Very Mad
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWxlbnI9mpU

Spoiler:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:31 am

I'm not watching it because i heard it's spoilertastic lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:07 am

Spoilers: I think the trailer probably caused more speculation among long-time fans, than outright spoilers.

We see a guy who's likely the main antagonist. Don't think that's a big deal, personally, but some people may prefer to see him for the first time, in-game. Other than that, a short clip that could be indicative of a possible connection between at least two of the main characters - but you'd have to actually play the game, in order to confirm it. It reveals the main characters, but I'm pretty sure we've seen them already in the reveal trailer, among others.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:15 pm

The Division 2 has an open beta for the next few days

I'm not getting it period but some ppl here may want to educate themselves on what's sure to be the GOAT console co-op experience this gen @Mole
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:49 pm

Hyping it up and you're not even getting it rofl

You could be less transparent that you know it's shite brah.

I have zero interest, if a shooter feels bad to play and it's content sucks why would i give a shit.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next