RealGunner
McLewis
Cruijf
rincon
Freeza
25 posters

Page 23 of 26 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Go down

The Official Comicbook Movies Thread: Part 3 - Page 23 Empty Re: The Official Comicbook Movies Thread: Part 3

Post by RealGunner Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:40 pm

I think it's mainly Gal Gadot. She might be one of the worst mainstream actress in Hollywood currently.

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Official Comicbook Movies Thread: Part 3 - Page 23 Empty Re: The Official Comicbook Movies Thread: Part 3

Post by Freeza Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:41 pm

Mediocre movie with some dumb stereotypes and questionable moral story story choices that could’ve been easily avoided.

All in all it’s impressive they made an 80’s in 2020 with the same moral problems of a lot of the 80s comedies
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:43 pm

RealGunner wrote:I think it's mainly Gal Gadot. She might be one of the worst mainstream actress in Hollywood currently.

Yeah she’s not good.

But I thought the first one was incredible because everything felt purposeful story wise and all acting aside from hers was sublime.

You can easily make a great movie around bad performances. When the movie is lacking it stands out a lot more.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:01 pm

i liked the first one too, but i always questioned how she ended up in that role. Is it the whole diversify Hollywood thing Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:14 pm

Diversity? Doubt it. She’s a white, beautiful model.

Snyder is the worst at casting women really.

Even when he gets incredible actresses they’re often not the best fit for the roles or criminally underused.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:25 pm

the accent though
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:32 pm

El Gunner wrote:the accent though

That accent is terrible, mainly because they make every Amazon get it because she can’t. We’ve got kid actors out here doing middle eastern accents to minimize how easy it is to see the lead actress can’t act.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:38 pm

I don't speak Greek so I don't know how accurate her accent would be given her backstory, but I do think it necessary for whoever's playing Diana to have it.

Frankly, I think an Ancient Greek Amazon speaking perfectly American (or even British) English would not be immersive to me. Even Robin Wright, an American, speaks her lines with an accent as well. I wish (hehe) the film had taken more care with the plot than it did with small details like that.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:45 pm

There’s nothing close to that accent being Greek lol. It’s literally her own Israeli accent.

That’s said it’s much harder to do accents in English when you didn’t know the language before your acting career started.

They could’ve let all actors speak their own accent then. Have them come from all over.

It would make sense for Diana Prince to speak with a perfect accent in most languages, since she’s had multiple identities and lived for 3000 years.

A generic accent would make her blend more in.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:06 am

didn't watch this, but the amazons seem like a pretty secluded people. Her accent didn't bother me at all in the first movie, and like McLewis said an American accent would've immersion breaking.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:26 am

You also find Thor films immersion breaking since they’ve got nothing close to northern accents?

I’d rather they just have their own accents all of them. The Amazon know all languages in the world and it’s shown in the movies. Accents should be something too. Would make sense for them to switch is all I’m saying.

And I find the choice is mainly to camouflage her lackluster acting. Because the acting even with accent is so much better from all the other actresses. And I’d much rather watch a young Diana film than another Gal Gadot film tbh. She does not have movie star charisma and it’s so clear whenever she has to speak. She’s good at facial acting though.

Also would love new director on the property at least. Stunts and CG work was really subpar relative to the budget and I don’t think they had any idea what to do in these aspects.

First sequence on Themyscera was incredible though and by far the best part of the movie.

Then after that we get wooden acting and Gal Gadot literally sexual assaults a dude.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:43 pm

The first WW really was great. But i think it was mainly because of Pine and how little Gadot had to talk. I mean the best scenes in that film all required no dialogues unless Pine was there to carry the scene.

She’s good at facial acting though.

You'll change your mind if you rewatch Justice league. She literally ruined scenes with her out of sync facial expressions and delivery.

Look at this lmao

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:30 pm

Freeza wrote:You also find Thor films immersion breaking since they’ve got nothing close to northern accents?

I’d rather they just have their own accents all of them. The Amazon know all languages in the world and it’s shown in the movies. Accents should be something too. Would make sense for them to switch is all I’m saying.

And I find the choice is mainly to camouflage her lackluster acting. Because the acting even with accent is so much better from all the other actresses. And I’d much rather watch a young Diana film than another Gal Gadot film tbh. She does not have movie star charisma and it’s so clear whenever she has to speak. She’s good at facial acting though.

Also would love new director on the property at least. Stunts and CG work was really subpar relative to the budget and I don’t think they had any idea what to do in these aspects.

First sequence on Themyscera was incredible though and by far the best part of the movie.

Then after that we get wooden acting and Gal Gadot literally sexual assaults a dude.

Frankly, yeah. One of the worst things about the Thor movies to me was the casting. A real missed opportunity to cast more Scandinavian actors. Vikings unearthed some real talent from that part of Europe, from a US audience perspective at least. Thor was average, Dark World was just plain bad and Ragnarock leaned heavily into Avengers/Waititi-ness. By then, the Norse immersion was very broken and I was just in it for the pure action and entertainment.

As for Gadot, I have no real opinion on her acting because let's be honest here: Anyone they cast for Wonder Women must be eye candy first, an actor second. They were clearly obsessed with the fact that she "looked" the part and just kinda ignored that the acting wasn't quite on the same level. DC is all about that woodeness.

As for the director, I'd love to see Bigelow could do with this. A better director than Jenkins to me.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:45 pm

Can't see Bigelow ever being interested in a superhero movie. She's all about only making independent movies.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:08 am

Bigelow has never in her life made an independent movie as far as I know. And she’s the one women suggested every time. She’s running her own show thought.

I would like plenty others to take over. Marielle Heller would be great. She could add a lot of great humor and emotion. Melina Matsoukas and Alma Har’el would be great too. Thought the first action restaging in the start of Honey Boy was really good.

And regarding the eye-candy part. It’s easy to find both an actor and eye candy. Gal Gadot was one of those. And she didn’t really look the part at the time either. She got a lot of hate for her body, which got a lot fuller.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:43 pm

I've seen her make that claim over and over. A quick google search shows the following as just 1 example:

"“I’ve never made a studio film,” Ms. Bigelow gently reminded me during a leisurely conversation here not long ago. Although most of her movies have been released by studios, they have been bankrolled by independent companies"

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/movies/21darg.html
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:06 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I've seen her make that claim over and over. A quick google search shows the following as just 1 example:

"“I’ve never made a studio film,” Ms. Bigelow gently reminded me during a leisurely conversation here not long ago. Although most of her movies have been released by studios, they have been bankrolled by independent companies"

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/movies/21darg.html

The paragraph you quote pretty much explains why she's far from independent. Not everyone can have James Cameron get their films funded, sadly.
That's how most movies work though. The major studios produce like 40 films combined each year. Everything outside is "independent" then.

The real definition of an Independant film means making it without studio interference. You can't do that with studio backing and distribution. Independent basically means "this qualifies for Sundance".

Films like Jurassic World, TDKR, Warcraft are technically independently produced too. But they have a distribution deal before being made.

Hurt Locker is a true independent apparently. $15m budget though, doubt many others could get that without a studio.

Studio movies from her:
Point Break
Zero Dark Thirty (studio movie in every way)
K-19: The Widowmaker
Strange Days (1995 and $45m budget)

So she's about 50/50 it seems. My mistake. Thougth for sure all the newer ones were independant because she's had an insane budget. $40m for Detroit is just insane in this economy and that's only because it was funded by Annapurna and the Ellison billions.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:10 pm

TBH a better quote from the article to use as to why she wouldn't make a comic book film is this

The experience of making “The Hurt Locker” — the “purity” of it, as she puts it — marks her return to liberating conditions under which she thrives.

Seems like she just wants to make movies without ANY influence at all, which she hadn't done between 1987 and 2008 according to herself. And it definitely makes sense considering her work has vastly improved since Hurt Locker imo.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:09 am

Yeah I get the sense that she wouldn't want to do comic book movies because it wouldn't allow her to keep making that sort of claim, it seems to be part of her pitch.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:35 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Yeah I get the sense that she wouldn't want to do comic book movies because it wouldn't allow her to keep making that sort of claim, it seems to be part of her pitch.

She might have to do one at some point though.

Detroit was a huge failure for Annapurna and no one else is funding her next big budget movies.

In the future people might have to do them if they ever want a movie to have a wide release in cinemas. Which is sad. Not a lot of filmmakers working in that 50m budget anymore.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:20 pm

Anyone on WandaVision? Fantastic so far, completely different level of quality to the Netflix marvel shows, Daredevil excluded.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:21 pm

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:43 pm

rincon wrote:Anyone on WandaVision? Fantastic so far, completely different level of quality to the Netflix marvel shows, Daredevil excluded.
how much of the mcu do you need to watch in order for it to make sense?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:48 pm

All
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:10 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
rincon wrote:Anyone on WandaVision? Fantastic so far, completely different level of quality to the Netflix marvel shows, Daredevil excluded.
how much of the mcu do you need to watch in order for it to make sense?

This is surely one of the least friendly entry points in the mcu. It would still be good, but too much would be lost.

You need to at least have seen avengers 2, 3 and 4.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:23 pm

Wouldn't hurt to watch Captain Marvel as well, if only, for the connection to one of the main characters on the show.

First 2 episodes were not particularly watchable for me, but 3 and 4 saved my interest completely.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 26 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next