Manchester derby proved that PL clubs can look forward to challenging in CL again

+6
free_cat
Jay29
izzy
Hapless_Hans
Sri
Glory
10 posters

Go down

Manchester derby proved that PL clubs can look forward to challenging in CL again Empty Manchester derby proved that PL clubs can look forward to challenging in CL again

Post by Glory Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 12:57

I think this latest Telegraph piece deserves its own thread. Especially Considering how highly regarded Nev is as a pundit, and how unbiased he comes across each time when he says something, may be, just may be its worthy of a good discussion in here. Mainly because he stresses on the CL prospects of English clubs.

Link

Supporters from both sides of Manchester may have left Old Trafford at the end of a 0-0 draw between United and City shaking their heads at the lack of goalmouth action or excitement, but for me, it was 90 minutes which told me that Premier League clubs can look forward to challenging in the Champions League again.

The fan watching it probably thinks that it is boring, that the entertainment is poor, but I really enjoyed the game and the first-half was probably the best 45 minutes I have seen anywhere in the Premier League this season.
The Premier League is renowned for entertainment and madness, but this was a game for the professional and I genuinely believe there were a lot of very good things out on that pitch.
Both sets of centre-halves were fantastic, with Antonio Valencia and Marcos Rojo the same against Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling.

Before the game, I saw United’s full-backs – Valencia and Rojo – as big weaknesses against De Bruyne and Sterling, but I thought De Bruyne was completely finished in the game after 20 minutes because Rojo dealt with him brilliantly.

For every attacking player out on that pitch, it was a nightmare, but that was largely because the defensive units of both teams did exactly what is required in the Champions League.
If I was a coach of United or City, I would be proud of how the players conducted themselves and followed instructions.
At a time when the Premier League is teetering with its co-efficient and facing the prospect of losing a team in the Champions League, this game offered a level of comfort in that teams are starting to apply themselves to defeding, concentration and focus.
What is a quality football match?
If City or United had torn the other apart, with the other team defending as they did, then you would say it was a quality performance.

But when a team nullifies the other, pays attention to detail of every one of the others’ strengths, you also have to say that that is a quality football match.
I will not be told by anybody that there wasn’t a lot of quality on that pitch today. When people talk about quality, they think of a great goal or a great shot or a great dribble.
But no, a quality football match is when two teams pretty evenly matched nullify each other and pay respect to each other.
I might be the only person in the country saying this, but I don’t care.
Every time I watch a big game in the Premier League, there is no doubt there is a correlation between the madness and chaos in domestic games and then the lack of application, focus and concentration that we see in the Champions League, where we have looked like the most naïve players in the world.
Concentration is a word that was rammed down my throat, and all my United team-mates’ throats, for 20 years.

But it seems like a word that doesn’t exist in the game anymore. It’s all about expanse, risk, goals, excitement, drama, mistakes.
The drama and mistakes of the Premier League might give fans some momentary high, but in this game, I saw a quality football match.
There is a place in football for this type of game. I want to see goals and incident, but when I have seen how we have been in the Champions League over the past few years, I want to see more of what I saw between United and City because, in all honesty, I think we have looked like muppets in the Champions League for the last three years.
We have looked like schoolboys playing against men.
There is still some way to go before that changes, but this game has given me hope that the struggle and concentration will translate itself into the Champions League.
The progress made by Manuel Pellegrini was also evident in this game and I think the City manager deserves credit for the changes he has made to his approach.
He will barely get a mention after this match, but a year ago, I had serious concerns about Pellegrini and City due to their naivety in the middle third, with Fernandinho and Yaya Toure in midfield and David Silva and Samir Nasri out wide.

They would go into games against teams with three midfielders, such as Bayern Munich or Barcelona, and looking naïve.
But against United, when Marouane Fellaini was introduced in the second-half, United went to a midfield three and a threat was posed – they threw down the gauntlet.
And to his credit, Pellegrini immediately reacted by putting Martin Demichelis on in midfield in place of Toure.
I thought that showed progression. It was like chess – one man makes a big move and the other quickly counters it.
Pellegrini did that and he deserves an enormous amount of praise for that because a year ago, he was getting battered for being naïve, arrogant for not changing his approach.

Chances were few and far between for both teams
He has learned his lessons and United, under Louis van Gaal, are also showing that they are able to implement a tactical game-plan against top quality opposition.
Every time I have seen a big game, going back to being a young kid and when I started playing professionally, I always thought that the biggest matches between the top teams, those in the top four, should be a massive struggle.
You think of heavyweight fights, when it difficult for the fighters to get a punch away, and there were not many punches in this one.
But that should not detract from the quality on the pitch because it was a game with many positives.

-In a nutshell he is praising the defensive organization of the clubs.
-praising the 2 managers and especially Pellegrini for going with a 3 man midfield and citing that he has improved from last year.
-and claiming that theres hope for English clubs in the near future in CL.

Especially the last one. In light of the displays of late of English clubs in the CL, this part is of significance.  
Would like to know the opinion of GL. Did anyone else feel that way.

If it was any other pundit, we could have dismissed the whole article as clickbait and rubbish, but with Gary ..

As For me personally though, Not saying I agree 100% with him, but like him I also has the opinion that the match wasnt antifootball or anything like 'boring turd' as many are pointing out, be it fans, haters or neutrals.
There was a lot going on in the match. Both teams nullified each other. Especially in the midfield. Schneiderlin for United and Fernandinho for City were really good. And that performance of the 3rd CM may be one of the reasons why Neville came to the conclusion that English clubs can do a good job in CL, or may be not. I am not sure.

As for the part I disagree, United had Rooney up top who didnt play up top at all and was shite throughout as usual these days and City were missing 2 of their most important attacking players. So I dont believe this match and performance of both city and united came about as something which was meant to be like this. It just happened due to a variety of factors.

Last edited by Glory on Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:11; edited 1 time in total

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Manchester derby proved that PL clubs can look forward to challenging in CL again Empty Re: Manchester derby proved that PL clubs can look forward to challenging in CL again

Post by Sri Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:08

I largely agree with him.

I also think this will get trolled a lot here in GL, with bashing PL being the flavor of the last few months.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Manchester derby proved that PL clubs can look forward to challenging in CL again Empty Re: Manchester derby proved that PL clubs can look forward to challenging in CL again

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:13

I don't think reality agrees with Gary Neville.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:16

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

rofl

That type of analysis is like saying, "I can play checkers, so I know I can do well playing chess".
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:19

The flip side of this argument is that neither side had the attacking quality nor the tactical innovation to make a breakthrough against a good defence, which certainly wouldn't bode well our teams in Europe.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:29

GoonerJay29 wrote:The flip side of this argument is that neither side had the attacking quality nor the tactical innovation to make a breakthrough against a good defence, which certainly wouldn't bode well our teams in Europe.

Spot on. They played organized and good on posession, but sucked offensively. Top CL teams do well in deffence, but especially in attack.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:32

Yea had aguero played the match, this article would have made a lot more sense. but with bony up top, and kdb totally neutralized, its not fair fully to say that, so i agree with that point.

But having said that, I think city is one of the best teams in the world in terms of attacking talent. With aguero and silva they could be only behind the top 3 (barca, bayern and real) or even arguably on par with them, i dunno? and without them they may be behind arsenal and psg right now.

Last edited by Glory on Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:35; edited 1 time in total

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:34

Funny thing is that KDB wasn't neutralized. There was no specific plan to shut him down. He was numerous times in position to create danger and auto-neutralized himself. What a turd.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:35

srigooner wrote:I largely agree with him.

I also think this will get trolled a lot here in GL, with bashing PL being the flavor of the last few months.

Nosy colleague poking over my should went away. :/
So I can finish typing what I wanted to say earlier:

I largely agree with him about the part where he says that both teams got defensive side of things right. That is to say that certain aspects of the match are underappreciated by the adrenaline-junkie audiences, although the match itself made one want to gouge their eyes out.

I disagree with the part about that boding well for the CL. It's only a part of a larger whole - adding defensive focus to attacking prowess would bode well for the CL, not one at the cost of the other.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:43

Other than Arsenal ( and i wouldn't be surprised if they do as well) every English club is in position to qualify, the whole thing is ridiculously overplayed.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:45

qualifying from group stages doesn't really equal 'challenging for CL' though
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:45

srigooner wrote:
srigooner wrote:I largely agree with him.

Nosy colleague poking over my should went away. :/
So I can finish typing what I wanted to say earlier:

I largely agree with him about the part where he says that both teams got defensive side of things right. That is to say that certain aspects of the match are underappreciated by the adrenaline-junkie audiences, although the match itself made one want to gouge their eyes out.

I disagree with the part about that boding well for the CL. It's only a part of a larger whole - adding defensive focus to attacking prowess would bode well for the CL, not one at the cost of the other.  

Agree. Thumbs up

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:46

They played out a cautious , no risk taking football with little to no tactical tweaks in the entire game. This bore ass football is now getting lauded as some kind of tactical astuteness then I hope for less tactical astuteness. CL teams will score against you and you will be forced to play some thing in offense.... Then these teams will get found out. What Valdano said comes to mind .

"". Put a shit hanging from a stick in the middle of this passionate, crazy stadium and there are people who will tell you it's a work of art. It's not: it's a shit hanging from a stick".
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 13:57

Hapless_Hans wrote:qualifying from group stages doesn't really equal 'challenging for CL' though

I know but you would think from the attitude of this article and many others that English teams are a disgrace to mankind. Sure none of the English teams are PSG, Madrid, Barca and Bayern level but it's not as bad as you would think it is.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by izzy Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 14:11

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:I know but you would think from the attitude of this article and many others that English teams are a disgrace to mankind. Sure none of the English teams are PSG, Madrid, Barca and Bayern level but it's not as bad as you would think it is.

Yes it is.

From the hyperbole to the ridiculous exaggeration that is spewed about this league and its "elite" teams to an article like this? They are doing terrible.
izzy
izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 14:26

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:qualifying from group stages doesn't really equal 'challenging for CL' though

I know but you would think from the attitude of this article and many others that English teams are a disgrace to mankind. Sure none of the English teams are PSG, Madrid, Barca and Bayern level but it's not as bad as you would think it is.

Agree. Also, anything can happen in knockout games.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 15:14

I agree with Neville that good quality doesn't, shouldn't always mean good attacking quality. There was good defensive quality and organization on display in that match.

You need to put it in context, however.

City were missing their two best attacking players (Aguero and Silva) and looked happy to settle for the draw. Their substitutes were such goal machines as Navas, Demichelis and Iheanacho.

As for United, they looked woefully short of ideas against a good defense. They were given the initiative and they didn't do anything with it. Mata had a poor game, Herrera was nowhere to be seen, Rooney's best position is in the pub and therefore Martial's dribbles were the best United could muster in attack.

Yeah, good defensive displays, but the CL will throw much tougher offensive units against them than this.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 15:40

im pretty sure if the manchester derby was a goal fest, that article would be different, so basically boring shitty game gotta have one silver lining cause it the prem, if both manchester clubs get blown out of the water(very likely) then what?
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 16:37

^ then nothing. There was nothing even remotely close in the article which meant he was talking about the 2 Manc clubs going on and delivering big in the CL this time itself.
He only meant there was improvement and suggested the signs aint bad for the future.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 17:05

A lot of valid points by Morty.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 17:09

At Old Trafford four members of City’s starting XI were signed this year. Their chief conductor and finisher were missing. The four players closest to the point of their attack – Wilfried Bony, Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne and Kelechi Iheanacho – have now made just 18 league starts between them and scored nine goals. What were we expecting here? Valeri Lobanovksy’s telepathic Dynamo Kyiv? Instant Brazil 1970?

If Manuel Pellegrini’s attack looked like strangers at times, maybe that is because, in elite football terms, they are. Time is City’s friend here. De Bruyne and Sterling, in particular, are excellent combination players. They will only get better.

United are also still in a state of relative chop-and-change, with two new starting players in central midfield, a teenage left-winger making his fifth start and seven outfield players who have arrived in the last two seasons. It is increasingly easy to question Wayne Rooney’s presence as untouchable first choice centre-forward. But consider Louis van Gaal’s wider picture. Only three of his players against City are in double figures for career United league goals. Antonio Valencia has 13, Juan Mata 18 and the captain 172.

Such is the relentless turnover in the Premier League we tend to get a little blasé about this level of player-churn. But the best teams grow out of at least a core of stability, of grooved understanding, some kind of shared, evolved team groupthink. Again, time will help here, as Van Gaal and Pellegrini know better than anyone. It was no accident United went with a double-bolted central midfield at home, while for the last 10 minutes at Old Trafford City had Fernandinho, Fernando and Martín Demichelis strung across midfield like a trio of nightclub bouncers, with De Bruyne still lurking sensitively on the left wing trying to look useful. Sometimes setting out not to lose first and foremost can be a fairly sensible strategy.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/oct/26/arsenal-premier-league-title-race-manchester-united-city

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Mon 26 Oct 2015 - 17:53

Glory wrote:^ then nothing. There was nothing even remotely close in the article which meant he was talking about the 2 Manc clubs going on and delivering big in the CL this time itself.
He only meant there was improvement and suggested the signs aint bad for the future.

every year it isn't that bad and will get better soon cause prem.., rinse & repeat.
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum