EL Patron
rwo power
Zealous
Doc
Gil
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Guardian's World Cup top 100 Footballers of all time - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardian's World Cup top 100 Footballers of all time

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:15 am

Why does anyone try and make a top 100 list of anything ? Too many to ever be even remotely accurate

VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Guardian's World Cup top 100 Footballers of all time - Page 2 Empty Re: Guardian's World Cup top 100 Footballers of all time

Post by CBarca Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 am

Have C.Ronaldo and Messi done anything in the World Cup? I can't remember.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:41 am

Xavi is too high in comparasion to Iniesta imo. Messi and Ronaldo have no place there
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 am

VendettaRed07 wrote:Why does anyone try and make a top 100 list of anything ? Too many to ever be even remotely accurate

That.  (E.g. I see Oliver Kahn as 42 and Gigi Buffon as 44 there - but frankly, I couldn't say whom I could put higher than the other as Kahn may have won the Golden Ball in 2002, but Gigi managed to lead his team to the World Cup win. Which is "better"?) And why should Sepp Maier be worse than those two?

When even there it is difficult to say that X is definitely better than Y, how impossible is it to properly compare GKs / defenders / midfielders / attackers?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Huh, I thought Messi should be amongst the top 5 at least? Or top 10???!! 51. Another crap list...would expect better from The Guardian Sleep
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:28 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:Huh, I thought Messi should be amongst the top 5 at least? Or top 10???!! 51. Another crap list...would expect better from The Guardian Sleep
This is supposed to be the "World Cup Top 100". And while the list is indeed questionable in the first place, it is even more so by including Messi at all. What has Messi achieved so far in the World Cups he played in? Okay, he did manage to score one goal against the might of Serbia and Montenegro in 2006... ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Valkyrja wrote:Xavi is too high in comparasion to Iniesta imo. Messi and Ronaldo have no place there

Agree completely

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/messixaviesta , http://footballbydeepak.blogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:40 pm

BarcaLearning wrote:Huh, I thought Messi should be amongst the top 5 at least? Or top 10???!! 51. Another crap list...would expect better from The Guardian Sleep

Guardian's World Cup top 100 Footballers of all time - Page 2 Wat-if-i-told-you-wat
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:13 pm

I think all this list manages to do is unify all people of some football knowledge against it Laughing

Seriously, this list is just pure Bull.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Tomwin Lannister wrote:

Guardian's World Cup top 100 Footballers of all time - Page 2 Wat-if-i-told-you-wat

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:29 am

rwo power wrote:
This is supposed to be the "World Cup Top 100". And while the list is indeed questionable in the first place, it is even more so by including Messi at all. What has Messi achieved so far in the World Cups he played in? Okay, he did manage to score one goal against the might of Serbia and Montenegro in 2006... ^^

Oops, missed the WC part obviously Razz But I think ppl underrate Messi still in the WC. He played VERY well in the last WC. Argentina was a mess tactically, individually he performed to his best, cant really ask for more. He hit the bar/post like 3-4 times iirc, setup at least 3-4 goals for his teamamtes, etc.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:15 am

david villa should be somewhere on this list...somehow, what that guy did for his team has been super undervalued. he was spain's best player in 06 despite being removed way too early from games for some reason. In 2010, whilst others where concerned with ball possession, he was actually key in the final third and was a threat when galloping down the left hand side of the pitch....if he had played most of his career in real madrid or barcelona, i bet many would consider him spain's best player in recent time....i'd put romario and rivaldo ahead of xavi as well....but to be honest this kind of list (especially one this long) makes little to no sense; it sort of devalues what others may have brought to the team....the last time one man completely dominated the mundial was in 1986, since then, there have been moments of genius by certain players, but it has still hinged largely upon team effort, so its tough to make such call or list....and frankly, i'm getting tired of such lists in footy these days
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:02 am

BarcaLearning wrote:
rwo power wrote:

Oops, missed the WC part obviously Razz But I think ppl underrate Messi still in the WC. He played VERY well in the last WC. Argentina was a mess tactically, individually he performed to his best, cant really ask for more. He hit the bar/post like 3-4 times iirc, setup at least 3-4 goals for his teamamtes, etc.

So you think Messi deserves to be on this list?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:19 am

BarcaLearning wrote:Oops, missed the WC part obviously :PBut I think ppl underrate Messi still in the WC. He played VERY well in the last WC. Argentina was a mess tactically, individually he performed to his best, cant really ask for more. He hit the bar/post like 3-4 times iirc, setup at least 3-4 goals for his teamamtes, etc.
Funnily Messi is there ranked 51 and you want him included for 3 or 4 assists, while 14 times World Cup goal scorer Miro Klose isn't listed at all. You really think Messi deserves to be there more than Klose? (That weird choice is one of the pecularities of the list, btw).
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:45 pm

No Pirlo  :facepalm: 
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:58 pm

great post , I will wirte often here. first considerations : Maldini is a God the main reason about this place is because he played 5 WCs ..but I think that place should belong to Meazza (40th lol ) and I don't say because he was an Inter star but the is the star of 2 World Cup won ( and won 4 totally) ,it's difficult to find a dominant player as him for Italy

What has Del Piero to do with it  ? he is a Juve legend , but he was bascially a ghost with the national team , in France 98 was  embarrassing , in 2002 he scored just one goal totally useless, in 2006 was not even a starter although there was Totti injured Laughing but Lippi , the juventino Lippi and his former manager, preferred equally Totti to Del Piero

And Baggio ?  he missed the penalty with Brazil today, but he had a Maradona 86-esque impact in that World Cup, we were knocking out from Nigeria if he didn't score ... and Spain .. and Bulgaria. Unreal Amaazing also in Italy 90 (what a goal against Cecoslovaccia) and 1998 ( he created goals)

Cannavaro deserves a better position probablly , not only in 2006 , he also played an unreal world 98 , he and Bergomi (rightly mentioned ) were the best against France (we arrived to penalty kicks for the defence), Cannavaro expecially played all the match with bloody bandage on head ( Paul Ince-esque against Italy )  because Guivarc'h gave him a nudge
I do not like as man , but I admit that his performance in the national team has always been very high , already before 2006 (98 and 2000).

the National Team is basically the context where he gave definitely his best, although he was inferior to other Italian defenders as Nesta or Maldini on paper

Last edited by Robespierre on Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:58 pm

nichabr wrote:No Pirlo  :facepalm: 

Yes Pirlo and Klose are probably the worst misses.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:00 pm

Robespierre wrote:
What has Del Piero to do with it  ? he is a Juve legend , but he was bascially a ghost with the national team , in France 98 was  embarrassing , in 2002 he scored just one goal totally useless, in 2006 was not even a starter although there was Totti injured :lol:but Lippi , the juventino Lippi and his former manager, preferred equally Totti to Del Piero

Spot on. He has absolutely no place here. I thought of saying it but then decided that there is no end to the number of faults we can find with this list.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:50 pm

for the record robespierre, maldini played in four world cups....but i agree him and baggio should be higher up. despite the missed penalty, baggio was practically the only offensive threat for italy in 94...you want to talk about scoring when it matters; he didn't score in the group stage, but all his 5 goals came in the knockout rounds; 2 in the last 16, 1 in the quarters and 2 in the semis....he was also hardly ever at a 100 percent during that world cup....italy had no business being in the final, donadoni was passed his best by then, but baggio came up with moments of brilliance when it mattered. he had a good world cup in 1990 as well
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:34 pm

titosantill wrote:italy had no business being in the final, but baggio came up with moments of brilliance when it mattered

Agree completely with that. Italy in 1994 was like a repeat of Argentina in 1990.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:43 pm

messixaviesta wrote:
titosantill wrote:italy had no business being in the final, but baggio came up with moments of brilliance when it mattered

Agree completely with that. Italy in 1994 was like a repeat of Argentina in 1990.

Agreed .
Baggiodependencia.
The only difference , Italy was probably the best team in Brazil 94 on paper ( and this makes worse all . Personally infact I rate Sacchi as a disappointment in NT ,I  remind also Euro96 , not at Milan levels ) , while Argentina 90 not

titosantill wrote:for the record robespierre, maldini played in four world cups....but i agree him and baggio should be higher up. despite the missed penalty, baggio was practically the only offensive threat for italy in 94...you want to talk about scoring when it matters; he didn't score in the group stage, but all his 5 goals came in the knockout rounds; 2 in the last 16, 1 in the quarters and 2 in the semis....he was also hardly ever at a 100 percent during that world cup....italy had no business being in the final, donadoni was passed his best by then, but baggio came up with moments of brilliance when it mattered. he had a good world cup in 1990 as well

yes 4 not 5 , you agree Very Happy
in 1982 there was Baresi , not Maldini , I confused him with Franco Very Happy
4 as Bergomi , this is another reason because Bergomi was included, Bergomi won it in 1982 (he played also in final ) and he played in 1986,1990 ( Captain in WC played in his country ) , in 1998
if Sacchi called him in 1994 , but Sacchi preferred the " Milanista block" , Bergomi would have played 5 World Cups in a row.

Last edited by Robespierre on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:47 pm

messixaviesta wrote:
Robespierre wrote:
What has Del Piero to do with it  ? he is a Juve legend , but he was bascially a ghost with the national team , in France 98 was  embarrassing , in 2002 he scored just one goal totally useless, in 2006 was not even a starter although there was Totti injured :lol:but Lippi , the juventino Lippi and his former manager, preferred equally Totti to Del Piero

Spot on. He has absolutely no place here. I thought of saying it but then decided that there is no end to the number of faults we can find with this list.

there are at least 100 Italy players who deserve to be mentioned more than Del Piero (personally the biggest disappointment seen in NT if compared to results in his club. Di Natale was a bomber in "provinciale" clubs so not so surprising)

For example, I don't understand because there is not Bruno Conti in that list

Absolutely Unreal in Spain 82.

Probably the best player in that World Cup won by Italy, more than Paolo Rossi who was a ghost in group stage.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by messixaviesta Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:21 pm

Robespierre wrote:
Agreed .
Baggiodependencia.
The only difference , Italy was probably the best team in Brazil 94 on paper ( and this makes worse all . Personally infact I rate Sacchi as a disappointment in NT ,I  remind also Euro96 , not at Milan levels ) , while Argentina 90 not

Was it? I always thought Brazil and Argentina were the favourites before WC 1994.

messixaviesta
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:30 pm

messixaviesta wrote:
Robespierre wrote:
Agreed .
Baggiodependencia.

Was it? I always thought Brazil and Argentina were the favourites before WC 1994.

Argentina94 was better than 90 , the additions of Redondo,Simeone , Batistuta were outstanding, although Maradona was to end of career

Brazil had an unreal CF as Romario but for the rest it was the "worst" Brazil to have won the cup.
It played with Serie A flops as Mazinho and Dunga

I haven't direct memories about that WC but I know the most ppl in Italy believed to be favored to win it

on the other hand the frame of that Italy was the Milan 1994 who destroyed for 4-0 the Barcelona coached by Cruijff in Champions League final  ,so it was not an unmotivated opionion .
And it had also an important bench . (for example this is the reason because Italy got kocked by Euro96 to group stage, Sacchi played the 2nd matches with reserves because we had important names also as benchers, we didn't call up even Baggio . .. that was a golden moment for the Italian football)

Last edited by Robespierre on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zizou Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:35 pm

rwo power wrote:
Zealous wrote:Pretty sure Lothar voted against his fellow Germans so he could be the highest rated among them lol.

Didn't work. He didn't get past Kaiser Franz Razz

but how does he rank higher than Gerd Müller????!??? seriously?

Zizou
Zizou
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:40 pm

Zizou wrote:
rwo power wrote:
Zealous wrote:Pretty sure Lothar voted against his fellow Germans so he could be the highest rated among them lol.

Didn't work. He didn't get past Kaiser Franz Razz

but how does he rank higher than Gerd Müller????!??? seriously?

I think it is normal to rate Beckenbauer as the best German player ever.
He was unreal already to England 1966 when he was 21 .

I suppose the rank for Germans is 1)Beckenbauer 2)Muller 3) Matthaus
Anyways, Matthaus is God :coffee:
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next