Spanish Midfielders. The best unit in the world???

+2
Onyx
Dnmac4
6 posters

Go down

Spanish Midfielders.  The best unit in the world??? Empty Spanish Midfielders. The best unit in the world???

Post by Dnmac4 Tue May 13, 2014 6:44 pm

I know this is old hat as we all know Spain produces midfielders at an astonishing rate. It's a fact that if you look at the shear numbers they produce there is no positional group in the world that is anywhere close to Spanish Midfielders as below you can see the midfielders who "made the cut" for the Spain team at the World Cup.

Midfielders: Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Ander Iturraspe (Athletic Bilbao), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich), Juan Mata (Chelsea), Jesus Navas (Manchester City), Pedro (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Xavi (Barcelona)

This is leaving out total beasts like Isco, Borja Valero, Xabi Prieto, Illarramendi, Gabi, Iker Munian (Should have made the squad) etc etc

With that being said, you can only start so many midfielders in any given game. Is Spain's midfield still the strongest positional group in the world seeing as again most of these players are riding the bench or not even on the team?

Would you rate say Uruguay's Forwards as a better unit (Suarez, Cavani, Hernandez, Forlan), or even Germany's midfield (Ozil, Goetze, Bastian, Gundogan, Khedira, Kroos, Reus, Draxler) or say Brazil's defenders (Silva, Alves, David Luiz, Felipe Luis, Marcelo, Miranda, Alex, Dante etc)

After looking at all the rosters that are coming out I don't agree with a lot of the decisions the managers have made but it's a unit not an all star team there building. I'm a massive La Liga fan and therefore Spanish football fan but I really think the strongest unit in the world is the Brazilian defense. It's weird as you don't really equate the two but that unit IMO will have the biggest impact on this world cup.

Any argument's otherwise?
Dnmac4
Dnmac4
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Spanish Midfielders.  The best unit in the world??? Empty Re: Spanish Midfielders. The best unit in the world???

Post by Onyx Tue May 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Spain can start more midfielders in a game than Brazil can start defenders. Plus I don't think the fullbacks are the best defensively and Luiz is prone to the occasional error. Felipe and Miranda aren't called up either. Spain's midfield is extraordinary. Players like Mata, Cazorla, Martinez and maybe even Silva might not make the starting 11, so that pretty much just shows the quality they have.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Spanish Midfielders.  The best unit in the world??? Empty Re: Spanish Midfielders. The best unit in the world???

Post by rwo power Tue May 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Luckily, a team consists of 11 players, not all of them of one sort. ^^

I think it is academic whether Brazils defenders are better than Spains midfielders as they have to play together with some other players, too.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Tue May 13, 2014 7:35 pm

one unit isn't going to win them the WC.Spain's system is old and can easily be contained by any half decent counter attacking team.Bayern has one of the strongest midfields in the the world and they got destroyed because their defense and attack didnt perform. I can see most top teams being able to get past Spain next month.

I think every top team in this world cup have weaknesses.Germany has a poor defense,Spain have a inconsistent defense and attack, our midfield lacks a creative force compared to the other teams and so on.
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Wed May 14, 2014 5:56 am

you only need best defense unit + 1 best keeper + 1 best striker + best of luck to win the wc

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zenmaster Thu May 15, 2014 7:38 am

Oh yes , what we see here is enormous amount of quality midfielder. We cant generalize this statement as of now but yes Spain has amazing midfielders in this era.

zenmaster
zenmaster
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down