iftikhar
Red Alert
Nishankly
Art Morte
Helmer
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What to do with Sturridge and Gerrard - Page 2 Empty Re: What to do with Sturridge and Gerrard

Post by Red Alert Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:47 am

If Gerrard plays the holding role, I fear for our chances making the top 4........ put Lucas back there now and stop with this experimentation crap. Gerrard as the controller, with Lucas given that advanced role. Wtf. :facepalm:

Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

What to do with Sturridge and Gerrard - Page 2 Empty Re: What to do with Sturridge and Gerrard

Post by McAgger Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:27 am

Well tbh I wouldn't mind Gerrard there as long as it's not Lucas that's playing the advanced role. I think Rodgers is planning on benching Lucas once Allen is back and I'm not against that. Gerrard I'm fine with as the deepest midfielder but Lucas I just can't accept in a more advanced role since he's even less mobile and less skillfull than Stevie.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:31 am

We badly need a DM.. Gerrard in the holding role and we'd get obliterated during almost every other counter-attack. I'm fine with Lucas in a relatively advanced role where he can just pass the ball around sideways, not try too many risks and just keep the game flowing ala Carrick. He's good at that.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:16 am

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287494/analysis

There was a tactical tweak for this game with Gerrard coming in as a holding midfielder with Lucas Leiva uncharacteristically operating in a more advanced role. "We'd been working on it," revealed Gerrard in his post-match interview. "The manager told me that moving forward I'll be playing this role a lot more. It's going to take a bit of getting used to it. I'll be comfortable in there once I get used to it."

While there was praise for Gerrard in the Sky Sports studio, the Liverpool captain's own words hint at the reality that this was a mixed performance. There were plenty of positives. The 33-year-old gained possession for his side on 16 occasions, four more than anyone else on the pitch and more than twice as many as any Liverpool player. Nobody on either side made more tackles

But there were misunderstandings and moments of sloppiness too. Jordan Henderson appeared to anticipate Gerrard staying put to receive a lay-off only to for his captain to break forwards, allowing Adam the chance to take advantage of the vacant space to fire home an equaliser. It was also Gerrard's miscontrol that led to Stoke's third goal through Walters.

Gerrard's passing was also a double-edged sword for Liverpool. "Lucas is great defensively but, in terms of passing, Gerrard brings more to the role," said Carragher. It's true that Gerrard offers a greater range of passing in that deep position but the nature of the role is such that ball retention is considered paramount. Gerrard's pass completion rate of 75.9 per cent was less than ideal.

Doubt we would get caught with Counter attacks if Gerrard is at DM.His anticipation and tackling are world class.

For me the real issue is his adventurous passing.If he can cut them out and gell with Henderson then he will be real asset in that DM role for us
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:18 am

Gerrard cannot play the holding role. It hurts the team more than it benefits it.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:50 am

bah Gawd, I think yday the goals/midfield poor performance, we conceded were the result of misunderstanding between the players about their roles because they played there for the first time. Only the third goal can be said as counter attacking goal or whatever. I am fed up with Lucas and Gerrard seeing together now.
Gerrard's best position is holding midfielder/controller role, he just has to play that position more often and we need two good midfielders playing ahead of him there.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:52 am

McAgger wrote:Well tbh I wouldn't mind Gerrard there as long as it's not Lucas that's playing the advanced role. I think Rodgers is planning on benching Lucas once Allen is back and I'm not against that. Gerrard I'm fine with as the deepest midfielder but Lucas I just can't accept in a more advanced role since he's even less mobile and less skillfull than Stevie.

I totally second this.

Play Gerrard as the DM or whatever people want to call it with Henderson and Allen/new CM/Coutinho further forward.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:47 am

Are you guys playing fifa or FM?

Dropping Lucas would be as stupid as dropping Suarez. We need his defensive aspect in our midfield for balance. Gerrard, Henderson or Allen cannot defend.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 am

I think Gerrard can defend. Different opinions. I hope Rodgers agrees with me.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:39 pm

ExtremistEnigma wrote:We badly need a DM.. Gerrard in the holding role and we'd get obliterated during almost every other counter-attack. I'm fine with Lucas in a relatively advanced role where he can just pass the ball around sideways, not try too many risks and just keep the game flowing ala Carrick. He's good at that.
:whistle: 

Add Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Hendo/Allen and Coutinho to that and you have, arguably, the dream of a team for a counter-attacking side. Laughing
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:58 am

I think we should play 6 at the back, Gerrard in midfield alone, and SAS + Sterling forward. That'll make it real interesting.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:47 am

Question is, what do we with Lucas now?

We've FINALLY for the first time this season, played a consistent style of play, we haven't been mucking about and have been getting positive results. (That's what happens when you don't alter tactics every 2nd game thinking you're Mourinho, eh...)  

Stevie will definitely play the deepest role again, but do play a 2-1 or 1-2?

Will Lucas go back to playing how he did against Stoke City in the first half replacing Allen/Lucas in the starting XI giving the free role to Henderson to roam forward?

We can't change the system to accomodate Lucas now or we risk dropping points for 2-3 games.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:50 am

Obviously Lucas won't be starting until there's a reason to drop one of the starting players.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:29 am

Yeah, it's difficult to see Lucas benching anyone, maybe Coutinho, who has been slighty off form recently, but Allen will probably be preferred for that more advanced CM role. The way I see it is that Lucas and Gerrard compete for one position now, not two as it used to be.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:03 pm

For next four games, Lucas will feature as substitute.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Looking back at this thread, I feel proud of BR the way he has found out a way to adjust Studge and Gerrard in the team :bow:
yes, Lucas coming back shouldnt change anything and I think Lucas most likely will substitute one of the CM or Coutinho and BR will most likely according to the particular game tactics and feeling really good to have everyone back

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2