McAgger
RedOranje
Helmer
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Liverpool V Fulham - Page 2 Empty Re: Liverpool V Fulham

Post by iftikhar Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:24 am

@ Sepi, you missed my point. It's not that Sturridge is not contributing or being selfish. He isn't is usual self. He is missing chances that he usually takes.

Against both Palace & Fulham he missed 4-5 chances of which he was expected to take at least 2. In first 3-4 games he scored from far more difficult positions.

He is trying a bit too hard, taking his shot a bit too early or a bit too strongly. His composure has faded not his contributions.

iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 am

Red :bow:

You couldn't have chosen a better match. What a performance, I bet it was majestic in person. I envy you my friend.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:07 am

Nice little GD boost, a clean sheet and a decent display.

We dropped this 3 at the back crap. Very Happy!

Still not convinced by Coutinho in the middle...

Natalie Portman wrote:[2) He intercepted Gerrard's shot, brought it on his left foot and shot that Skeletenburg saved masterfully and the rebound fell to Suarez and Suarez missed the open net.  
That doesn't count as an assist, or a chance created. :coffee:

I do agree with ifikhar, he's been poor in front of goal in the last 3 games (although he scored an amazing chip against West Brom). He's too one footed, the opposition knows where he's going most of the time. He really needs to improve his right foot. He's okay in possession, but needs to stop being so wasteful in front of goal.  

With that said, Coutinho and Suarez weren't any better yesterday either. Suarez missed an open goal, a one on one and was quite wasteful himself. Coutinho apparently had 8 shots, I can only remember one that was decent (a flick back from Agger) but it was only straight at the keeper.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Red which stand?
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Upper Anfield Road.

Caught 3 of the goals right in front of me.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:57 pm

RedOranje wrote:Upper Anfield Road.

Caught 3 of the goals right in front of me.
Where are the pix :-(
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Jefe Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:54 pm

McAgger wrote:Also surprise, surprise Agger is back in the team and we keep a clean sheet. :coffee:
Came into this thread to say this.
El Jefe
El Jefe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Could only see the first half, so glad we put the game in bed by the end of it!

I'd like to give Cissokho a little bit more time, although there's been nothing promising as of yet. I'm sure we'll see Enrique starting in the next match, so this "problem" will disappear for now anyway.

Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:51 am

El Jefe wrote:
McAgger wrote:Also surprise, surprise Agger is back in the team and we keep a clean sheet. :coffee:
They had one shot (a tame one at that, it was straight at Mignolet) and failed to get ball into the final third. We could of played Cissokho as the CB, and we wouldn't have conceded, lol.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:18 pm

RO, just curious in your second photo, I can see few empty seats, are they about to be filled in OR they were really empty Shocked .

Also that Hendo's performance was worth mentioning in this match, he picked few good passes coming out of his comfort zone. He just needs to grow himself more into the RED shirt and I will repeat 'hendo to carry us when Gerrard retires' not in a Gerrard way but he will be main man in few years. That assist shows that he can be also creative when the opposition team is busy dealing with tripple S (Suarez, Sturridge and Showtinho). It was a perfect weighted pass at a right place, although Suarez finished it very well from that angle to beat their keeper. He just needs to add few goals to his name in this season, I would say at least 10 goals.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:12 pm

That photo was taken before kick-off so people were still filling into the stadium. Once the match kicked off Anfield looked like it was at capacity.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Still the only GLer to have sat on the kop banana

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Jefe Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Red Alert wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
They had one shot (a tame one at that, it was straight at Mignolet) and failed to get ball into the final third. We could of played Cissokho as the CB, and we wouldn't have conceded, lol.  
I don't think he was saying Agger was the only reason Fulham didn't score, but it's still bizarre that people think we shouldn't play Agger considering the record shows we're so much better with him.

Natalie Portman wrote:Still the only GLer to have sat on the kop banana
Nope.
El Jefe
El Jefe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 pm

So rewatched the match for tactical analysis.

Off the ball when Fulham actually set up in their attack (which happened like only once or twice all game) we were playing your regular flat 4-4-2. Defensively I think it's the best formation to use. You've got 2 lines of 4 not committing and just waiting for the opposition to make mistake, and then your two strikers harassing their defenders for the ball. But, mostly, this match whenever Fulham got the ball we pressed them high up the pitch and won the ball right back in an instance.

So off the ball:

Mignolet
Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Cissokho
Hendo - Gerrard - Lucas - Coutinho
Suarez - Sturridge

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When we had the ball though the actual formation was

Mignolet
Johnson - Skrtel - Agger - Cissokho
Lucas
Hendo - Gerrard - Coutinho
Suarez - Sturridge

And even this looked more like so when playing it

Mignolet
Skrtel --- Agger
Lucas
Hendo - Gerrard - Coutinho
Johnson ---------------------- Cissokho
Suarez --- Sturridge

I like this formation very much. Lucas basically acted like the defender cleaning up everything in front of Martin and Daniel. I think when we were playing 3 CBs, this is what we needed our center CB to do. Step up and clean up everything before it got to the last line and also provide support for the midfielders. When Skrtel was sitting all the way back it wasn't helping whatsoever. Which is why I used to say it doesn't matter if we play with 3 CBs or 2 CBs + a destroyer dropping just in front between them cleaning up. Both formations take care of the same functions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: months later

Liverpool V Fulham - Page 2 Suarez

Liverpool V Fulham - Page 2 Skrtel

Liverpool V Fulham - Page 2 Suarezz

Liverpool V Fulham - Page 2 Suareez

Last edited by McAgger on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:37 am; edited 2 times in total
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by El Jefe Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:49 pm

The idea of our defensive midfielder dropping in between 2 centre backs is why I think Yann M'Vila would be really good for us. I think he could develop and do that role brilliantly.

If we go with a 442/4222 long term I think the 2 players at the base of the midfield are very important and it'll be interesting to see what combination Rodgers goes for after Gerrard retires.
Do we go with a DM/DLP, a DM/B2B, DLP/B2B. We have lots of options, my preference would be a sitting DM who could drop in between the centre backs like McAgger pointed out, next to a bit of an all rounder like Badelj. This would probably allow us to carry 2 creative players behind two forwards, instead of Henderson who doesn't offer as much going forward.
However if we go with a traditional DLP, (I'd prefer a ball carrying player like Modric to a static player like Alonso) having Henderson in front could be very useful as the DLP behind wouldn't offer as much defensively as an all rounder. He also gives us lots of tactical flexibility as we could quickly change to a 433 with him dropping in as a 3rd CM.

All probably irrelevant but still interesting options.
El Jefe
El Jefe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:01 pm

I think when we compare 3CB and with the formation of the last game, the instructions to the players were quite different ,you can see with the following image that henderson and Gerrard both are in much more forward position and there are no gaps between the three lines of formation.
http://www.thisisanfield.com/wp-content/uploads/lfc-vs-ful-ave-pos-9-11-13.png

Although Lucas dropped few times to help the defence, he was always close to Gerrard to have another option in the middle of the pitch. But when we play 3CB, it doesnt happen so and we try to rely much more on individual brilliance of SAS and BR sees it as a counter-attacking formation or something

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2