We are (potentially) screwed for the Champions League....

+5
Tomwin Lannister
Luca
salmano9
Valkyrja
Juvellinapoli
9 posters

Go down

We are (potentially) screwed for the Champions League.... Empty We are (potentially) screwed for the Champions League....

Post by Juvellinapoli Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:03 pm

With all the (WELL-DESERVED) praise that has heaped on Antonio Conte, he has 1 (and only 1) weakness, he is too damn stubborn; the 3-1-4-2 is unsuitable for the Champions League, because teams do not wait for their moment to carve out their opportunities, they attack from the first whistle.

It is easy for anyone who is sitting in front of their laptop to play armchair allenatore, but hear me out; Juve need to play with a back for 4 in Champions League matches, but maintain their attacking prowess, without sacrificing their defensive responsibilities, best way (imo) to do this is with a 4-3-3/4-4-2/4-2-3-1 (ranked in 1-3, as determined by feasibility).

I am fully aware of the fact the back 3 of Barzagli-Bonucci-Chiellini is functioning like a well-oiled machine, currently, but Conte should have integrated Ogbonna better, so as to be better-prepared for the Champions League. We are Juventus, as Boniperti said, "A la Juve vincere non e importante, e l'unica cosa che conte", we should not sacrifice (potential) success to keep 1-2 players happy; drop Bonucci, move Lichtsteiner back to LB, integrate Pogba, and have Tevez cut in from the wing.

---------Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Chiellini-Ogbonna----------------
-------------------Vidal-Pogba-Marchisio----------------------
-------------Vucinic-Fernando Llorente-Tevez------------------

Juvellinapoli
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

We are (potentially) screwed for the Champions League.... Empty Re: We are (potentially) screwed for the Champions League....

Post by Valkyrja Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:22 pm

3-5-2 is basically a 5-3-2
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

We are (potentially) screwed for the Champions League.... Empty Re: We are (potentially) screwed for the Champions League....

Post by salmano9 Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:31 pm

@Napoliguy: No Smile
man... Bonnuci is our rock in CB.. You don't realize how good he is... And it all depends on Conte's playing style.
Let the master do his job
Don't forget we reached the QF last season and we won Chelsea with our formation... It all depends on how the team collaborates
salmano9
salmano9
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Malaga CF

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:47 pm

That 4-3-3 would get massacred in the Champions League
And last time I checked the 3-5-2 did just fine until Juventus met Bayern

#KeepFIFAOutOfJuventusSection

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by salmano9 Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Yeah, and remember, we did not have Vidal for the second leg vs Bayern + We played inter before first leg... Players were not fully fit... Gio was injured also (That son of a B.. Stankovic i guess had a rough tackle on him in the final momments if u remember).
LOL and yeah, at least it was not 7-up like against barca.... Relatively, our defence was better than barca's
This year we got tevez Smile he can help us ALOT.

#KeepFIFAOutOfJuventusSection

salmano9
salmano9
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Yeah although another formation is needed as a back up, the 3-5-2 is fine.

Let's face it, if you see how we failed against Bayern, it had more to do with

A) Conte being too defensive

B) Our strikers were useless at holding the ball up. So the ball kept coming back at us.

352 became a problem when we never kept the ball, and they just rushed our wings. But now we have Carlos dropping deep, and Mirko/Llorente can hold the ball up just fine. We've already improved.

(Mirko was injured 1st leg, 2nd leg he done well but Conte had given up at half-time)

'#KeepFIFAOutOfJuventusSection'

rofl
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Yh also fitness was a huge factor

We played our starting XI against Inter

Bayern had like 90% of the team resting. And Vidal + Licht were missed.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by elm_baraja_shaman Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:06 pm

though i don't think 3-5-2 was the problem, i believe having a 4-2-3-1 back up won't be bad and we have the players for i too...

i also believe in the statement #keep_FM_outta_the_section....
p.s: what is the state of Vuci's injury?Finally Llorente to get his chance and kick Vuci out of the starting 11...

elm_baraja_shaman
elm_baraja_shaman
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by Juventude Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Bayern being a pretty awesome effing team is also a big reason we lost and they won the whole competition. There is nothing wrong with our tactics. We simply weren't as good as them

Last edited by Juventude on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Juventude
Juventude
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by salmano9 Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Lol and yeah now bayern are not better with pep.. I believe they werr better with jepp hunkes watever his name is... and bayern already won the bundesliga when they faced us so they rested most main players....
Get well soon mirkoo Sad Sad didnt gear anything yet though Sad
@Elm: you gotta agree that we must have experience in serie a before anything in the derby (besides tevez) ... so I guess gio or quag would start, even thou I want lolrente to play. The derby just isn't his game...
salmano9
salmano9
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by salmano9 Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:39 pm

And I guess we should dispose the best players available vs inter
salmano9
salmano9
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by juve_gigi Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:19 am

Juvellinapoli wrote:With all the (WELL-DESERVED) praise that has heaped on Antonio Conte, he has 1 (and only 1) weakness, he is too damn stubborn; the 3-1-4-2 is unsuitable for the Champions League, because teams do not wait for their moment to carve out their opportunities, they attack from the first whistle.

It is easy for anyone who is sitting in front of their laptop to play armchair allenatore, but hear me out; Juve need to play with a back for 4 in Champions League matches, but maintain their attacking prowess, without sacrificing their defensive responsibilities, best way (imo) to do this is with a 4-3-3/4-4-2/4-2-3-1 (ranked in 1-3, as determined by feasibility).

I am fully aware of the fact the back 3 of Barzagli-Bonucci-Chiellini is functioning like a well-oiled machine, currently, but Conte should have integrated Ogbonna better, so as to be better-prepared for the Champions League. We are Juventus, as Boniperti said, "A la Juve vincere non e importante, e l'unica cosa che conte", we should not sacrifice (potential) success to keep 1-2 players happy; drop Bonucci, move Lichtsteiner back to LB, integrate Pogba, and have Tevez cut in from the wing.

Your post has some major flaws:

1.  Where is Bonucci in your lineup?  He has become a world class sweeper under Conte and is arguably Juve's best defender.  Surely Conte will have him in his starting 11.

2.  Where is Pirlo in your lineup?  Are you telling me Conte is gonna sit out Pirlo against Real, Bayern and Barca??  Pirlo is still a world class player and is the engine to our team.  Conte would never sit him out against the biggest clubs in the world.

3.  Tevez said himself he prefers to play as a CF in a 4-3-3 but you have him playing wing which he does not like.  So you basically have Tevez playing out of position and you have Pirlo and Bonucci on the bench.  That means your formation is seriously flawed.

4.  3-5-2 was good enough to tie Spain in the World Cup and take them to penalty kicks in the Confederations Cup.  When Italia switched to a 4-3-3 they got slaughtered.  3-5-2 was good enough to win two scudetti and go to the last 8 in the Champions League last year until we lost to the eventual champions.  3-5-2 is our favoured formation at the moment because it allows Conte to play all his top players at their best postions, i.e. Bonucci as a sweeper, Pirlo as a regista, and have Tevez and Vucinic switch between SS and CF throughout the match.

I'm in favour of playing a different formation, especially in Champions league, to try and change things up. But it's not gonna work if you have Pirlo and Bonucci sitting on the bench and Tevez playing out of position.  So for those reasons we will need to stick to 3-5-2- for now until further notice...
juve_gigi
juve_gigi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:47 am

#KeepFifaOutOfJuventusSection
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by Juvellinapoli Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Juventude wrote:Bayern being a pretty awesome effing team is also a big reason we lost and they won the whole competition. There is nothing wrong with our tactics. We simply weren't as good as them

With all due respect, unless the back 3 consists of Hummels-Thiago Silva-Chiellini, it is a statistical improbability to win the Champions League; Juventus did not have Vidal, and Pirlo was overrun by Schweinstieger and Luiz Gustavo, meaning the back 3 was left exposed. The team itself was not up to snuff, but (for the most part) has been rectified, however, no Regista was brought in + Conte has been too stubborn to test the 4-3-3; should of tested it when we were 3-1 up v Lazio!

Bayern are a phenomenal team, but they have weaknesses; Kroos is a mediocre regista (better trequartista), Thiago is soft, Badstuber is lol-worthy, and Neuer, though an amazing shot-stopper, is weak with corners and set-pieces. Juventus beat Juventus last year!

Juvellinapoli
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Juvellinapoli Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:38 pm

juve_gigi wrote:
Juvellinapoli wrote:With all the (WELL-DESERVED) praise that has heaped on Antonio Conte, he has 1 (and only 1) weakness, he is too damn stubborn; the 3-1-4-2 is unsuitable for the Champions League, because teams do not wait for their moment to carve out their opportunities, they attack from the first whistle.

1.  Where is Bonucci in your lineup?  He has become a world class sweeper under Conte and is arguably Juve's best defender.  Surely Conte will have him in his starting 11.

2.  Where is Pirlo in your lineup?  Are you telling me Conte is gonna sit out Pirlo against Real, Bayern and Barca??  Pirlo is still a world class player and is the engine to our team.  Conte would never sit him out against the biggest clubs in the world.

3.  Tevez said himself he prefers to play as a CF in a 4-3-3 but you have him playing wing which he does not like.  So you basically have Tevez playing out of position and you have Pirlo and Bonucci on the bench.  That means your formation is seriously flawed.

4.  3-5-2 was good enough to tie Spain in the World Cup and take them to penalty kicks in the Confederations Cup.  When Italia switched to a 4-3-3 they got slaughtered.  3-5-2 was good enough to win two scudetti and go to the last 8 in the Champions League last year until we lost to the eventual champions.  3-5-2 is our favoured formation at the moment because it allows Conte to play all his top players at their best postions, i.e. Bonucci as a sweeper, Pirlo as a regista, and have Tevez and Vucinic switch between SS and CF throughout the match.

I'm in favour of playing a different formation, especially in Champions league, to try and change things up. But it's not gonna work if you have Pirlo and Bonucci sitting on the bench and Tevez playing out of position.  So for those reasons we will need to stick to 3-5-2- for now until further notice...
Bonucci is a great Libero; could always play a 4-2-3-1 with Lichtsteiner as the RB, have Bonucci push up when attacking.

Pirlo's time has passed; he was overrun in the Champions League, and has been steadily less-impressive in Serie A; there has been a drastic decline from the Pirlo of 2 years ago.

I understand what Tevez said, but he is more than capable of playing a (semi) trequartista who cuts in from the wing, in the same playing style of Nedved.

-----------------------Bonucci----------------------
------------Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Chiellini--------------
-------------------Vidal-Marchisio---------------------
------------------------Pogba-------------------------
----------------Vucinic-------Tevez--------------------
------------------------Llorente-------------------------

Juvellinapoli
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by juve_gigi Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Juvellinapoli wrote:
juve_gigi wrote:

Bonucci is a great Libero; could always play a 4-2-3-1 with Lichtsteiner as the RB, have Bonucci push up when attacking.

Pirlo's time has passed; he was overrun in the Champions League, and has been steadily less-impressive in Serie A; there has been a drastic decline from the Pirlo of 2 years ago.

I understand what Tevez said, but he is more than capable of playing a (semi) trequartista who cuts in from the wing, in the same playing style of Nedved.

-----------------------Bonucci----------------------
------------Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Chiellini--------------
-------------------Vidal-Marchisio---------------------
------------------------Pogba-------------------------
----------------Vucinic-------Tevez--------------------
------------------------Llorente-------------------------
The formation I'd like to see is a 4-3-1-2:

Lichtsteiner  Bonucci  Chiellini  Ogbonna

Vidal  Pirlo  Marchisio

Pogba

Tevez  Vucinic

Let Bonucci play more as a sweeper but keep it as a 4 man back line. Let Pirlo do his thing as a regista with Vidal and Marchisio on his flanks to provide cover. Let Tevez and Vucinic do their thing and they can interchange as SS and CF as they are doing now.

And lastly, release Pogba and let him be "free". Let him do what he does best, which is roam the pitch and make the opposition scared to death of his next move. Force the opposition to mark him one on one. Let him play behind the strikers in a trequartista role and let's see what he can do. We would have Vidal and Marchisio providing cover for Pirlo so we wouldn't need Pogba to play in a defensive role, although he could still provide cover depending on the opposition.

I hope Conte at the very least tries this out when Marchisoo gets back. He will need to find a way to keep both Marchisio and Pogba on the pitch at the same time. The 4-3-1-2 with Pogba playing behind the strikers I feel is the best solution. We'll see what Conte does when Marchisoo gets back on the pitch.
juve_gigi
juve_gigi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Pirlo was overran because he was asked to perform the role of an actual CDM.

His main strengths are in dictating the play, he was asked to screen our defence and withstand an onslaught of attacks.

A prime Pirlo in terms of fitness would have still failed, it's like asking Nedved to play Left back.
It's not really an indication of his talent, but asking him to perform a role in which he's never been good at.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down