Can Malaga upset the odds and make history?

+20
BAYERN_MUNICH
Arquitecto
iftikhar
che
white_star
rwo power
free_cat
BarrileteCosmico
Zealous
Pedram
Harmonica
Toffer Harley
Great Leader Sprucenuce
EL Patron
halamadrid2
Kaladin
RealGunner
Onyx
billy_gr
Ausi90
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Can Malaga upset the odds and make history? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Malaga upset the odds and make history?

Post by iftikhar Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm

At these stages all games are basically 50/50 and Malaga & Dortmund are rather closely matched. IMO, while Dortmund are burdened with expectations Malaga don't have such worries and will be able to play better.

iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Can Malaga upset the odds and make history? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Malaga upset the odds and make history?

Post by rwo power Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Actually Dortmund aren't burdened with expectation. They were already more than happy to get to the quarter final and they consider everything else just as bonus. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:27 pm

rwo power wrote:Actually Dortmund aren't burdened with expectation. They were already more than happy to get to the quarter final and they consider everything else just as bonus. ^^

Well considering they flopped hard in the last 2 years of Europe along with all the hype surrounding their team, it would be near absurd to call a Quarter-Final finish a successful result. They'll have to do more then that given the standard they have set for Europe
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BAYERN_MUNICH Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 pm

What? None expected them to pass the group stages, and now they have to reach the semi-final ? Laughing
BAYERN_MUNICH
BAYERN_MUNICH
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:05 pm

BAYERN_MUNICH wrote:What? None expected them to pass the group stages, and now they have to reach the semi-final ? Laughing

Well considering they've been the Bundesliga Champions twice in a row and being called among the Elite teams of Europe, I highly doubt that they weren't expected to pass the group stages this year, the last one...or the one before that.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Just like Man City, I think reaching the knockout stages is a success for Dortmund. Being hyped and doing well in their league shouldn't have to mean they're successful in the CL.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebaño Sagrado Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Dortmund 3-0 agg
Rebaño Sagrado
Rebaño Sagrado
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Just realized this thread has great potential for a GL Jinx. Neutral
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:48 pm

I just want to see a great game, and I'm sure I'll get one.

Which team wins doesn't matter to me, I like both of them.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by rodri Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 am

I think both teams (Malaga and Dortmund) can make history.

Look at this: http://www.footballseeding.com/european-cups/champions-league-12-13/

Both teams started in Champions League in worst pot! And now, one of them will play minimally semifinal.

I don't think there is some team in CL history, with so low coefficient and semifinal (final?) participation.

rodri
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 am

Arquitecto wrote:
BAYERN_MUNICH wrote:What? None expected them to pass the group stages, and now they have to reach the semi-final ? Laughing

Well considering they've been the Bundesliga Champions twice in a row and being called among the Elite teams of Europe, I highly doubt that they weren't expected to pass the group stages this year, the last one...or the one before that.

Probably because they had Manchester City and Real Madrid in their group.

Both of whom had higher expectations amongst a lot of people than Dortmund.

Glad to say i wasn't one of them but in general most people didn't expect them to qualify.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 am

I agree that semis is a ridiculous expectation. No German side is expected to perform in the CL besides Bayern, ever.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:39 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I agree that semis is a ridiculous expectation. No German side is expected to perform in the CL besides Bayern, ever.

Maybe not by their forgiving fan base but I imagine there are neutrals out there that expect the champions of Germany to do reasonably well. Especially when they have good players on their team.

People rave about Hummels, Goetze, Reus etc but you can't have your cake and eat it. If you want to sing the praises of a team then you need to hold them to some kind of standard.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:05 am

They already did.

Can Pellegrini pull this off? I don't know. They've run out of steam and the wear and tear of the thin squad is taking it's toll on some of the older players (including the younger ones not accustomed to playing as much games as they have this season).

I think there's some things to exploit but timing is going to be everything. They can't dominate the game, they have neither the energy nor the talent, they need to pick their spots well and survive the rest of the game.

There are couple new names, Atunnes is filling in nicely at LB, Baptista finally scored this weekend and some dude from Universidad de Chile - Pedro Morales was pretty good this weekend. But I think Saviola,Santa Cruz, and Portillo will still be first choice.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2