Wilson37
furiouswindbottom
Raptorgunner
SamuelJayC
13 posters

Go down

Reading v Arsenal Preview Empty Reading v Arsenal Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Reading v Arsenal, Monday 17th December, 8pm, Madejski Stadium, Premier League, Sky Sports 1

Reading v Arsenal Preview Hi-res-155053446_crop_exact
Arsenal have already travelled to the Madejski this season, where they scored seven times

Premier League Table

1. Man United 42pts
2. Man City 36pts
3. Chelsea 29pts
4. Everton 27pts
--------------
8. Arsenal 24pts
--------------
20. Reading 9pts

Arsenal seek successive league wins

Arsenal travel to the Madejski stadium on Monday evening looking for back-to-back Premier League wins for the first time since September. It's a sign of the frustrating inconsistency which has held the Gunners' back so far this season. Arsene Wenger knows the fixtures ahead - Reading (a) Wigan (a) West Ham (h) Newcastle (h) - offer his side a genuine chance of securing plenty of points, but as the embarrassing loss at Bradford in the Capital One cup showed, complacency will only result in further disappointments.

“The squad felt disappointment and frustration," Wenger said at Friday's press conference, "We can only look at ourselves, get on with it and look to the future." The Frenchman is well aware of the growing pressure from fans and media as he enters the festive period. Though the Gunners are within touching distance of the lucrative Champions League places, the absence of a title challenge and the exit from the league cup has only angered the Emirates' faithful even more. "This team cares, is serious and wants to do well," the manager concluded, "We are sorry for the defeat to Bradford but what is important is the next game."

Reading sink to bottom of table

Brian McDermott knew his side could go into Monday night's clash with Arsenal bottom of the Premier League. QPR's victory against Fulham on Saturday left Reading as the basement boys, with relegation a serious probability. Royals boss McDermott insists, though, that the fact the club are even in the division is a bonus. "We have been a sensible club, punching above our weight for a long, long time." the former Gunners' midfielder told the media on Friday.

Reading owner Anton Zingarevich has already given McDermott his full backing this week - via "a fantastic text message" the manager revealed - while the club have been linked with moves for Arsenal playmaker Andrey Arshavin and Osasuna midfielder Raoul Loe, but McDermott is adamant that Reading won't overspend next month. "I always get a budget and we work to the budget," he said, "Look at what happened at Portsmouth, what happened at Leeds. Clubs nearly go out of business. It's not going to happen here."

While Arsenal will be aiming to close the gap on the top four, Reading will be hoping to edge closer to safety - they're currently six points behind 17th-placed Southampton.

Match Facts

* Reading and Arsenal have met 10 times in all competitions, with the Gunners winning them all.

* Reading have won just one of their last 10 Premier League games at the Madejski Stadium (W1 D5 L4).

* The Royals have only managed one clean sheet in the league all season, the lowest tally of all Premier League sides.

* Reading have thrown away more points from winning positions than any other Premier League sides this term (17).

* The Gunners have made the most passes in the Premier League this season (9221) while the Royals have made the fewest (4823).

* Per Mertesacker has made more last man tackles than any other Premier League player this season (seven).

Team News

Arsenal

Giroud (back) & Koscielny (thigh) are back in the squad, but Walcott (calf) is doubtful. Diaby (thigh), Santos (muscle) & Fabianski (ankle) remain out.

Reading

Roberts (hip) & Pogrebnyak (knock) are doubtful. Kebe (groin) & Karacan (knee) have returned to training but won't play, while Morrison (ankle) & McCarthy (shoulder) are definitely out. Guthrie is available again after apologising for refusing to play against Sunderland last week.

Reading v Arsenal Preview AbDT9xiabh

Arsenal subs: Mannone, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Coquelin, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho

Manager's views

Arsene Wenger: "I believe it's a good opportunity to show that we are strong inside the club and let people talk. We are criticised when results are not good, we have to take that on the chin."

Brian McDermott: "We have 22 games ahead of us and together as one unit we can achieve our goals for Reading Football Club and for the supporters."

Very Happy
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Reading v Arsenal Preview Empty Re: Reading v Arsenal Preview

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Great job Sam.

Anything less than 3 points it would be a failure. A tie is as good as loss at this point. No mater how bad they, they can still hurt us, we must forget last week and win this one big.

I dont want to see Gervinho even on the bench, I hope he leaves early for African cup.

My line up.

-----------------------Szczęsny
Sagna------Mertesacker---------vermaelen---------Gibbs
--------------Wilshere---------Arteta
Walcott/Oxlade---------------Rosicky---------------------Cazorla
----------------------Podolski

I wont lie, I have a bad feeling about this game, Wenger will get the line up wrong again and will cost us.

If we win the pressure will be on for Swansea,West Brom and Stoke. cheers
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by furiouswindbottom Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 am

Very difficult to predict. And we are playing the team at the very bottom. Not good times.

However, we are only 3 points off the 4th place trophy, so it's not all bad.

I'm hearing mixed things about Theo. That he may be fit to start, so we'll see on that one.

I'm still not keen on the Arteta/Wilshere combo. I seem to remember last season we had Ramsey/Arteta. That was also a bit slow at times. Ramsey got injured and in came Rosicky (forced on Wenger). The dynamic changed and we went on a good run. I also think JW is more suited in a more advanced postion.

My team: (assuming no Theo)

Szczesney

Sagna TV Mert Gibbs

Arteta Rosicky

Ox Wilshere Cazorla

Giroud (if he's not doing the business take him off half time for Poldi)

We all know what team Wenger will pick (depending on fitness) and that we will be slow in our build up, no real drive or movement and launch poor crosses to a lone front man. Some crosses may go near him, but many will go in the stands.
I believe Rosicky adds that urgency lacking when we start our build up play. JW, for me is a player who can find the killer pass and hold off players in and around the box. Cesc Mark II (without the finishing ability yet)

JW is an attacking midfielder and not a DM. I will be proven correct on this one day. One fine sunny day. Perhaps when we have either a new boss (I hope not...not yet anyway...but ask me on Monday night if we lose 4-0) or if Wenger is forced through injuries to play him there.

Anyhooz....

...COYG!! cheers cheers cheers cheers

Nice write up btw. Good job and all that Smile
furiouswindbottom
furiouswindbottom
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:10 am

A match against the lowest team in the league.. But after seeing the performance of our first team against a fourth division side we have no reason to be confident..
Match Facts
* Reading and Arsenal have met 10 times in all competitions, with the Gunners winning them all.
and after seeing this, we know what will happen..hmm
waiting eagerly to know what lineup will Wenger play.. Will the consistent flops like Gervinho and Ramsey get another game..? I am sure one among them will start again.. I want to see Cazorla moved wide.. He is totally anonymous at the centre against teams which press a bit.. Only Rosicky adds quickness or urgency to attack.. We looked threatening, infact only looked ever, when he was playing.. It is sad that our most influential player is a 31 year old injury prone player who cannot play 90 minutes..
We should try to score early.. Start Rosicky and attack in the first half.. No use waiting to the 80 min to make substitutions.. And our bench..:facepalm: we were praising our depth at the beginning of the season.. Podolski has been totally useless except when he gets the ball in the box.. He is too lazy or tired most of the time.. He goes totally anonymous after the first 30 minutes.. Dont want to see him again at LW.. I want to see
Ox/Walcott---Rosicky---Cazorla
Giroud
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:07 am

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Arteta
Rosicky Wilshere
Chamberlain Giroud Cazorla

Bench: Mannone, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Coquelin, Ramsey, Arshavin, Podolski

Reading 2-5 Arsenal

eco smile
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by mizG4Lyf Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:05 am

COYG!!! please make this one count.

mizG4Lyf
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:26 am

Very well written Sam, as usual cheers

Looking for Podolski to have a big game, especially if Giroud is omitted. If Gervinho is starting I might not even watch. We have to put this into perspective. This team is last place, has won one game, has never beaten us and represents three crucial points. WE CANNOT LOSE.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:04 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:
Szczesny
Arteta
Rosicky Wilshere
Chamberlain Giroud Cazorla

Bench: Mannone, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Coquelin, Ramsey, Arshavin, Podolski

Reading 2-5 Arsenal

eco smile

Apart from Verma on the bench, this line-up, although a bit gung-hoo-ish seems the most reasonable with our current form.

Just need to outscore the opposition. cheers
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Great preview

Hope Giroud is ready
we need him at both ends
Reading has scored more than one third of their goals from set pieces
7 from dead ball situations and only 2 more(9)from open play
with Nicky Shorey's delivery

with Tabb as destroyer and Leigertwood as b2b i agree woulda been good if Cazorla was moved to flank

anyway as far as it goes with aerial abilty if they wanna push Giroud away from goal meanwhile their defence also vulnerable against pace so hope chambo/podolski will raise their performance
as cc game showed Theo/Giroud can be deciders for this one would be very disapponting if either dont make it

Reading v Arsenal Preview Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXpi3C2tCs3GAc_uIK56XQr5tR3uCFsf_xB3IQPIC9VpzcgO4s4g
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Mail: Walcott passed fit for trip to Reading on Monday night - #AFC - http://bit.ly/12isLJm
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Fantastic work sam!

Tomrorows game can go either way. On paper we should win this easily. I mean Reading have 9!!! points so far this season. It will really be catastrophic to not win tomorrow.

Therefore it will be either that we smash them, win something like 4-1. Or we might get frustrated to no end and either draw 1-1/0-0 or even lose 1-0

Norwich away is what makes me say that.

I hope the team can forget about bradford and win the game tomorrow comfortably with a solid performance.

Theo back is a boost. If he is 100% fit then Podolski-Giroud-Theo should be our front 3. with Santi-Wilshere-Arteta midfield. Koscielny-Mertesacker CB partnership and Gibbs n Sagna Fullbacks

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Samuelj29060 wrote:Mail: Walcott passed fit for trip to Reading on Monday night - #AFC - http://bit.ly/12isLJm

If Walcott is indeed fit:

Szczesny
Arteta
Rosicky Wilshere
Walcott Giroud Cazorla

Our best team minus Diaby... would be pretty embarrassing not to win.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Great team Urban.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 pm

urbaNRoots wrote: would be pretty embarrassing not to win.
The Bradford loss was the most embarrassing thing ever. A loss tomorrow would equate to a positive result in comparison
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:22 pm

loooool
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:42 am

'The Times' say Oxlade-Chamberlain & Podolski start on wings tonight, with Gervinho, Rosicky Walcott on bench - pic.twitter.com/JVu0QQbq
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 am

SO there is news that Wenger is giving Gervinho "more time to recover" from the ACON. We probably wont see him again this year. cheers
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:31 am

Arsenal have won none of their last six away games in all competitions (W0 D4 L2) :facepalm:

We must win today, no excuses.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:46 am

Why not try Vermaelen as DM?
I think it would be a good option considering Diaby is injured and Coquelin is so small and raw.

--------Wilshere------- Verm
Walcot/OX----Rosicky----Cazorla
-------------Podoslki

Could work.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 am

"I believe I have a strong team," Wenger told reporters. "If you look at our season at the moment, we have not produced our performances at home; our results away are in the same bracket as the two top teams.

"Manchester United are top of the league. They have lost three games, we have lost four. We had more draws, especially at home, that is where we have lost the points."

Wenger please stop talking and just win.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:46 am

free_cat wrote:Why not try Vermaelen as DM?
I think it would be a good option considering Diaby is injured and Coquelin is so small and raw.

--------Wilshere------- Verm
Walcot/OX----Rosicky----Cazorla
-------------Podoslki

Could work.
he looks good as a pure dm and not the Arsenal deep playmaker.. His aggressiveness and tackling can be utilised.. Has he ever played as a dm ? But i dont think it is easy to play new positions or change roles like in Fifa..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:52 am

Any formation works as long as Hervinho does not play.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by boss Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Nice preview Sam
btw when it's a must win >it's a must win I can say..as simple as that .lol

boss
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:13 pm

#Arsenal team v #Reading: Szczesny; Sagna, Gibbs, Mertesacker, Vermaelen;Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla, Chamberlain, Podolski, Walcott #rfc #afc

Hope it's Walcott centrally and not Podolski.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum