BeArsenal
EL Patron
urbaNRoots
SamuelJayC
Jay29
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal: Still missing that spark Empty Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal: Still missing that spark

Post by Jay29 Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Everton away on a cold, November night just three days after another away trip on another cold night is never a pleasant experience. But this is the Premier League and midweek fixtures are the norm as we had into the needlessly congested Christmas period.

As such, Wenger saw fit to rotate a little bit. Kieran Gibbs, just back from injury, was left on the bench so Thomas Vermaelen filled in at left back while Koscielny and Mertesacker continued in the centre of defence. Theo Walcott, back from injury, replaced the "under the weather" Lukas Podolski. Ramsey kept his place after a solid display against Villa.

First half

To everyone's surprise, Arsenal took the lead within a minute. There was an element of luck to the goal, as Walcott managed to bundle the ball around an Everton defender and then had his shot deflected in off Hibert after being played in by Ramsey.

As far as exciting Arsenal moments go, that's about it for the first half. I wouldn't say it was all Everton, but they certainly responded very well and had the better of the play. To use a cliche, they wanted it more. They pressed heavily, they won the ball back high up the pitch and attacked with an urgency that has been desperately lacking in Arsenal's attack for ages now.

Arsenal didn't help themselves, either. They gave the ball away cheaply and put themselves under pressure several times. Inevitably, this ended up in an Everton goal. Arteta got caught on the ball, Sagna clears it straight to an Everton player and Fellaini ends up scoring with a very good finish. Completely avoidable goal.

Second half

Arsenal played better in the second half and it was a more even contest with neither side really creating a guilt-edged chance despite the game's high intensity. Both teams had several half chances and were often let down by the wrong decision being made at vital moments. Case in point, Giroud's cross to Gervinho barely missed his head. Had he played it along the ground Gervinho might have had a tap in.

Having said that, Arsenal really didn't help themselves again. This time, it was Wenger's lack of substitutions. It was very evident that Giroud wasn't getting service, Walcott was invisible on the left, Cazorla looked fatigued and Arteta was struggling to cope in midfield. Wenger had Coquelin, Chamberlain, Rosicky and Gervinho to choose from on the bench. He waited until the 72nd minute to bring on Gervinho for Ramsey, then brought on Coquelin for Cazorla in the 91st minute when there were two minutes remaining. It baffles me that Wenger is so hesitant to use his bench when the team clearly needs changing.

Same old, same old

The reason why this write up is so short, beyond my own laziness, is simply because a lot of what happened in this game has happened several times already this season. So really, I'm just covering old ground again.

Just like at the weekend, Giroud was dropping deep but had nobody making runs ahead of him. This is the problem when he's being supported by playmakers like Ramsey and Cazorla and not direct players.

Also, just like at the weekend, Arsenal didn't put enough crosses in and the ones they did were poor. Ramsey is not a crosser and Sagna rarely got into forward positions. Walcott was marked out the game on the left.

Simply, Arsenal are struggling to find a way to play that suits their attackers. It's hard to play a direct game with more crosses when your one good crosser is in and out of the side for various reasons, and it's hard to play a short, quick passing game when your striker simply isn't suited to that style of play. Ideally, you'd want a bit of both, but it's hard to get anything going when your central playmaker is struggling with the amount of games he has to play and is lacking support from around him.

It's highly frustrating and will probably remain this way for the rest of this season.

Good result or not?

As a stand alone result, a point at Everton is a good result. They're a good side who play well at home more often than not.

In the context of our season so far, though, it's not a good result, by virtue of us dropping points against Villa. Instead of taking the expected four points, we've only taken two and the team we stuck five past a week or so ago have taken six since then are now above us.

I suppose a positive is that this result now means we're unbeaten in four league games (five in all competitions) and, with a good set of fixtures in December, that run should increase. It's a vital month for our season. Put together a strong run of results and we may get that top four finish. Continue to look like a mid-table team with very little spark and it'd be hard to see how we would finish in the top four.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal: Still missing that spark Empty Re: Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal: Still missing that spark

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 pm

12 points off the top, 5 points off the Champions League No
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal: Still missing that spark Empty Re: Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal: Still missing that spark

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Arsenal suck donkey balls at the moment. So frustrating to watch.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 pm

I wish this season would just end to be honest, i am struggling to get excited about anything Arsenal wise No
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BeArsenal Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Arsenal suck donkey balls at the moment. So frustrating to watch.

Understatement!

We really have to do better, okay we can't win trophies every year. But this isn't even a joy to watch
BeArsenal
BeArsenal
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Point a fair result

but tbh, we should have won in the end.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Might as well give my thoughts on the game.

Thought it was crap, although i reckon Vermaelen did better this time.

Problem seemed to be in the middle, Arteta was marked out of the game i reckon and all he did was foul people the entire match. Lucky to have not given away a penalty today.

Giroud did nothing all game, except for that cross towards the end which just went over gervinho. Although i cant fault him, he had no support whatsoever, and nobody passed the ball to him. Worked hard though.

The problem we have is not related to formation from what i can see. It's all about knowing what to do and it looks like sometimes we've got no clue. What are we trying to do? Play direct? I saw numerous long balls today that went no where. Play possession? I saw the side sometimes trying to just pass pass pass till we found an opening. That didn't work either. It seems as if it's just, "go on the pitch, and just kick the ball around until something happens". There's no real 'tactic' it seems to me and whenever we try to do something, not everyone is on the same wavelength.

Well those are my thoughts.....
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 pm

A point at Goodison isn't something to be scoffed at. We really should have won but our next stretch of games should all be three points. December is going to be a very telling month for this team.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 pm

gunnerlistick wrote:I wish this season would just end to be honest, i am struggling to get excited about anything Arsenal wise No
You know, i know we didnt win anything a few years ago, but even then i knew i could watch Arsenal and expect to see some good passing or something. Even if we didnt win a trophy i was at the very least happy with the style we played. Now, we're not winning anything and our play isn't good either........
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Verminator Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 pm

MJGunner wrote:A point at Goodison isn't something to be scoffed at. We really should have won but our next stretch of games should all be three points. December is going to be a very telling month for this team.
Tbh i'm not worried that we only got a point at Goodison Park, i'm worried that this performance and the result is become a recurring theme.....
The Verminator
The Verminator
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Sir Jack was class, he ran himself to the ground. The back four did well despite looking shaky all game. Impressed with Gibbo, he has improved massively. Santi looked frustrated all game, Everton got in his face all the time whenever he had the ball. He needs to try and get used to this, teams know is one of our most creative player so they will always make it difficult for him. I felt sorry for Giroud, he looked isolated and we absolutely created absolutely nothing for him. Also we don't know how to play with him on the side whenever he wins a header, there is no one making any sorts of run. Wenger waited this the fcking 80th minute to make changes No

Last edited by gunnerlistick on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Spider Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 pm

We should have won this game

We needed Ox

We needed Arsha

Fk it
Spider
Spider
First Team
First Team

http://twitter.com/#!/ma7moud_21

Back to top Go down

Post by BeArsenal Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 pm

We just had to sub santi.. he is tired and was isolated.
and arteta is not a real DM, we need to get someone that can handle the PL in that position

MOTM : Jack ( In my eyes )
BeArsenal
BeArsenal
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Hey, 7th ain't bad for a mid-table team Very Happy
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 pm

this is worse than the post invincible era to be honest. I am dreading every Arsenal game now.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Done with the write-up. Frustrating evening, all in all. Thought Szczesny, Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Wilshere and Ramsey had solid-to-good games. Sagna and Arteta looked off the pace. Cazorla looked tired. Walcott and Giroud isolated.

At least we've actually improved a bit since that United game. It's just not enough at this point.

I'd consider this for the Swansea game on Saturday:

Szczesny

Jenkinson --- Mertesacker --- Vermaelen --- Gibbs

Coquelin --- Wilshere

Walcott --- Rosicky --- Podolski

Giroud

Think Arteta and Cazorla could really do with a break this weekend and in the Champions League afterwards.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Agreed with pretty much everything. Would go with exactly that lineup. Maybe Walcott upfront with Oxlade on the left even and Give Giroud a rest too.

My MOTM tonight was Walcott/Ramsey
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Cant say im that dissapointed because a draw is what i expected. Ok, whats wrong with the team, a lot of people saying the midfield doesnt work, and indeed they are not doing very well atm as a unit. Imho its girouds fault mainly, you have to understand the midfield needs a focal point that they can pass forward to and play off of, this linking up play is just not girouds strength, to make matters worse our right winger is there for pace, and our left winger.... nah. So apart from looking for walcotts pace behind the defence, there aint really much on for the midfield. To make it even worse, cazorla has just lost it atm. But on the bright side that was jacks best game so far and he is getting better each week, thats worth being optimistic about, his trickery and calmness on the ball is joy to behold at times.

Some people over exagerrating as usual, every slump in form we have each season is "oh my dayz dis is the worst evaaa!111!"

i remember the team playing far worse than this even with cesc ect during our annual post january collapses
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:00 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Done with the write-up. Frustrating evening, all in all. Thought Szczesny, Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Wilshere and Ramsey had solid-to-good games. Sagna and Arteta looked off the pace. Cazorla looked tired. Walcott and Giroud isolated.

At least we've actually improved a bit since that United game. It's just not enough at this point.

I'd consider this for the Swansea game on Saturday:

Szczesny

Jenkinson --- Mertesacker --- Vermaelen --- Gibbs

Coquelin --- Wilshere

Walcott --- Rosicky --- Podolski

Giroud

Think Arteta and Cazorla could really do with a break this weekend and in the Champions League afterwards.

Starting Rosicky after 6 months out, 4 days of training and no reserve game is ludicrous.

I haven't even mentioned Rosicky's injury record.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Arsenal next 6 league games: Swansea (h) WBA (h) Reading (a) Wigan (a) W.Ham (h) Newcastle (h). Only 6 wins is acceptable. #afc :coffee:
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Every season we have a period of absolute shit. We can only hope that this is our only period of such results and we are near an end of it. I could only catch the first half due to a crappy stream and bad internet for the 2nd half, but we didn't look like we were on our way to a win from what I saw. Everton are a good side, but we needed a win tonight.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

thought Theo was wasted on left as needed extra touch to make crosses
Jack improvement was great to see Gibbs had solid game with those naismith runs inside

Cazorla shouldnt have started but lack of options

Diaby type of player could help a lot

blaming Giroud is unfair he did all he could

if this continues this way i would really consider swapping santi and poldi positions that may get the best out of everyone
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Well said Sina
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:10 am

Well atleast WBA lost, and Chelsea tied. I really did not get these late substitution. I think someone had a;lready mentioned this but, Arshavin, OX, heck... even Benayoun could have made the difference... Not sure why we did not buy him
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:50 am

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:Well atleast WBA lost, and Chelsea tied. I really did not get these late substitution. I think someone had a;lready mentioned this but, Arshavin, OX, heck... even Benayoun could have made the difference... Not sure why we did not buy him
True, but then again this was a chance to gain ground on them and we lost it, which is almost just as bad. I agree on the substitutions.

Anybody else want to see Cazorla out wide and Rosicky in Cazorla's current central spot when Rozza is back to full fitness? Dat creativity!
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next