flameas
ErPupone
McLewis
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Roma v Atalanta: Match Discussion Empty Roma v Atalanta: Match Discussion

Post by McLewis Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Another provincial team, strong in defense and wily on the counter, comes to town. This will be the 4th one this season that has visited the Olimpico and they will be confident that they can take points off of us. Why? Because the previous 3 already have. We have failed to beat every non-big 4 side at home thus far this season. And coming off that beating Juventus gave us last weekend, we need a response against Atalanta and this time, not a 45 minute wonderclass. This match needs to be a statement.

Squad news and the XI

Maarten Stekelenburg continues on in goal. This is definitely the right decision by Zeman as the worst thing you can do with a keeper of Stek's quality is drop him when he's low on confidence. With Lobont out, Mauro Goicoechea will continue to wait patiently in the wings as our 2nd choice with Tomas Svedkauskas just behind him.

There have been reports that Nico Burdisso has shown some skepticism about Zeman's preference for playing the high line. This skepticism has shown multiple times as Burdisso has struggled in the past few games and was fully exposed last weekend. This has reportedly led to Zeman trying out Marquinhos along side Leandro Castan in defense as the Brazilian has appeared more receptive to his style of football as well as his ability to play the ball out from the back. Castan had the worst game in his young Roma career, but is by far still our best CB this season so look for him to keep his spot as well as an eye on his young compatriot and former Corinthians teammate. Some serious questions will need to be asked of Rodrigo Taddei at RB. His age showed fully and I won't at all be surprised to see Ivan Piris get another look in. At LB, Federico Balzaretti, despite being subbed off early in last weekend's match due to flu symptons, was quite poor. He looks to have recovered fully and will feature tomorrow. Zeman has said that Dodo is nearing full fitness and it should be available for the derby in 2 weeks. Alessio Romagnoli remains in reserve.

Great news in midfield is that Michael Bradley is back to full fitness. I believe we really missed him last weekend as he was instrumental in Chievo taking points off of Juve twice last season. It's still too soon from the California native to get a starting spot as Panagiotis Tachtisids is the fitter player, but we may still see him get time tomorrow ahead of Marquinho and Simone Perrotta, who had contrasting performances last weekend. Joining Tachtsidis in midfield will be Daniele De Rossi and Alessandro Florenzi, who continued his great form, despite the loss. Miralem Pjanic is still out injured.

That attacking selection headache continues for Zeman up front. We all know that Francesco Totti is a lock on the left wing, but I do believe the other 2 positions are up for grabs now. I do still consider Erik Lamela the frontrunner for the right-wing spot, but with his inability to get into good attacking positions and take his chances, you have to believe that Mattia Destro and Nico Lopez might be smelling some blood in the water.They are right behind him in the pecking order of that spot and all it would take is a timely goal to possibly condemn him to the bench. Pablo Osvaldo is expected to continue on in the middle, but Destro could again possibly get time there if he starts from the bench.

Roma v Atalanta: Match Discussion AbDuGF4aip

The Opposition:

Roma v Atalanta: Match Discussion Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREmJtwgzf0oHDUSfw-JZXGeUB-2sLER3-QIuDjCVrAMeuj2op76Q

I'm not at all fooled by Atalanta's patchy form. Like us, they got a real beating last weekend as well, a 5-1 mauling at the hands of the other Turin-based giant, Torino. Compound this with the fact that they have no fewer than 10 players out at the moment including starters like Thomas Manfredini, Davide Biondini, Guido Marilungo, Stefano Lucchini and Guglielmo Stendardo. The situation is reportedly so dire that Federico Peluso, usually a LB, will be playing in the middle.

Despite all of this, this side remain dangerous, having beaten Milan 1-0 at the San Siro as well as Palermo 1-0 at home. They still have some top players who will cause us problems in German Denis, Maxi Moralez, Giuseppe De Luca, Luca Cigarini and Ezequiel Schelotto. I will preview who we'll need to keep a specific eye on further down.

The Coach : Stefano Colantuono

Roma v Atalanta: Match Discussion Lapr_11706932_46440

In his 2nd stint with Atalanta, having coached them back in 2005 to 2007, former Palermo and Torino coach Colantuono has kept the ship steady, if unspectacular for Atalanta. Having kept the team largely together following the match-fixing revelations that ultimately resulted in the lifetime ban of their long-serving captain and legendary midfielder Cristiano Doni. The Roman-born coach has successfully implemented a counter-attacking style and defensively sound foundation that will likely ensure Atalanta continue to stay relative steady eddies in Serie A this season. With Atalanta's current injury problems, he's facing quite the headache in central defense.

The Captain: Gianpaolo Bellini

Roma v Atalanta: Match Discussion Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNDkZSfz2slEW4GvWUVcaL6iUxvUfeSNTt-sMpPicRWjN1PQmF

It's still up in the air as whether we may see Cristiano Doni's successor suit up for Atalanta tomorrow, but as a long serving member of the club, Bellini will definitely be in the frame for a start if he proves himself fit. Your archetype rugged and gritty Italian CB, Bellini will often be seen making the tough, and sometimes risky challenges that got his partner, Stefano Lucchini suspended for this match.

The Dangerman: Maximiliano Moralez

Roma v Atalanta: Match Discussion Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1KjjGpQkEP-Njn8E1Ae9rhx4b8-iKqSVxlXskWHnQ-jEDAH68

Undoubtedly Atalanta's best player and the brain of this side. Moralez burst onto the Serie A scene last season, putting in some brilliant displays showcasing his wide range of passes and goal-scoring ability, popping up with 6 goals in his 2nd stint in Europe after having had a bad spell at FC Moscow back in 2007. Possibly one of the best creative players not playing for one of Italy's traditionally big sides, the 1.60 m former Velez Sarfeld playmaker is as diminutive as they come, with Sebastian Giovinco and Alessandro Del Piero, also considered diminutive in their own rights, standing 4 and 14 m taller than the Granadero Baigorria native. German Denis may be Atalanta's chief goal-scorer, but it's Moralez that we'll need to get close to in order to stop those chances from happening.

Match Objectives

I said at the top of this preview that we need a response to last weekend's debacle and this is as good a match as any to do it. Will we rout Atalanta? To be completely honest, I hope we don't. That's not what we need. If we can come away with a clean sheet tomorrow, I will be vastly satisfied. Will we see that type of match? The form book of both sides say we won't so prepared for quite a few goals. So what do we need to do in this match?

-Play to our ability: I have no doubt we'll come out and go straight for the jugular tomorrow. This is what we've always done this season, Juve notwithstanding. It's the period that comes after that initial 30 minutes and into the 2nd half that is going to be telling as to how this match will go. We're a young side so if we're going to start strong in the 1st half then I prefer we end the 2nd half strong.

- Defensive focus: Stek and Co. must realize that they will get no tactical help from Zeman by now. All the coach wants is for the full-backs to push forward and for the CBs to defend from the half-way line. We all know by now that this is tactical suicide in a league like this, but with Zeman unwilling to acknowledge this, the defense must prepare and organize itself. Above all else however, they must hold their focus and anticipate Atalanta's movement on the counter.

Prediction

We haven't lost at home to Atalanta in our last 6 matches. The last instance of this fixture ended 3-1 to us. This should give us belief and confidence, but the latter is dangerous. I'm not a fan of relying on history or stats to predict a match, but I do believe we'll respond the way we always do.

3-1 Roma.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Roma v Atalanta: Match Discussion Empty Re: Roma v Atalanta: Match Discussion

Post by ErPupone Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm

I would switch De Rossi with Tachtsidis given what we've seen so far. I would also give Nico Lopez a start ahead of Lamela.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Ehh I dunno. De Rossi didn't look too good playing higher up, but then again neither does Tachtsidis. Both are holding players so I suppose that makes sense. If anyone should play a more advanced role, then it should be De Rossi, but somehow, I don't see Zeman doing that so that's why I have Tachtsidis in that role.

As for Lopez over Lamela, there's a good chance we'll see that, but again Zeman is probably still going to keep the faith with Lamela though his attitude needs to improve.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Well Zeman does see De Rossi playing further up-field, to be honest I don't think he likes him as much playing that deep. Plus, De Rossi tends to try those lobs forward towards our strikers (which have been inaccurate so far this season), something Zeman would rather not see.

I would do everything to keep faith in Lamela too, but he has to be more consistent. Now I know, "how can Lamela be more consistent if you want to bench him?" Sometimes you need a tougher approach to get through to the player and I think that may work on someone like Lamela if done properly. Also, I'd really like to see Lopez given some time. A front line of Lamela-Totti-Lopez would be interesting to see: no out and out striker, which sort of goes against Zeman's ideas, but much more pace which would definitely give us an advantage.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Now that you mention that, I do recall Zeman preferring him more a B2B midfielder and he's certainly got the engine for that. If we think of it that way, then does free Tachtsidis to sit back in front of the backline, but can he cover them? That remains a good question.

I wouldn't at all be against Lamela getting benched at this point. He just doesn't look interested. Lopez looks rather motivated and really should get more time. That said, playing no forward when you have Osvaldo and Destro in your squad is going to draw the ire of the media, but I agree with you. There's an abundance pace, movement and creative in a front line without those 2.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:10 pm

I almost forgot, Bradley is fit for this one, so he might get the nod ahead of Tachtsidis. That would strengthen our midfield.

And ideally up front you would want Lopez, Lamela and one between Osvaldo and Destro, thus leaving out Totti. But the problem is, even though that would very much suit Zeman, we would be taking out our biggest threat. Totti has only scored once, but he's been the most consistent out of all our forwards and you simply can't take him out. Lamela is the one that can be sacrificed more easily.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Yeah exactly. Totti is a lock. If you have to choose between Osvaldo and Destro, I'd go with Osvaldo in the middle. It's that right flank that is really a battleground as I pointed out. Anyone one of Lamela, Lopez or Destro could be in that spot tomorrow. It's a real headache for Zeman.

Think I mentioned Bradley as well, but I don't see him starting. I'd love to be wrong though.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:38 pm

I think it's a 50-50 with him. A surprise might be Perrotta though, he's seemed to convince Zeman lately. Surely if there's someone who has the intelligence and energy for those movements in midfield, it's him. But I don't expect him to bump Florenzi or De Rossi out.
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Perrotta looked quite good against Juve. A bright spot for us in that match along with Florenzi and I was glad to see he still has it to come on and settle the midfield down with tempered passing and movement. Wouldn't at all mind seeing him tomorrow.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by flameas Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Dropping Lamela for Destro would mean a loss in pace. I dont think Zeman will want that. Lopez for Lamela or Destro for Osvaldo. More likely things will stay the same at the start but Lopez and Destro will be subbed in.
flameas
flameas
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sukrut23 Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:45 am

scratch damn !! that high line just got into trouble.

Handball :brickwall: Marcos wtf crazydefs
sukrut23
sukrut23
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by flameas Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:49 am

End of Zeman..
flameas
flameas
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sukrut23 Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:12 pm

what a ball TOTTI

how are we leading rofl
sukrut23
sukrut23
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by sukrut23 Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:28 pm

Half time now and this is crazy Atalanta could have scored 3, we have one, had a penalty disallowed and Destro hit the crossbar. Crazy game, btw, did Zeman drop DDR cos of the alleged bust-up??

Cant wait for the second half, there is absolutely no way the scoreline is gonna stay stay the same.
sukrut23
sukrut23
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Atalanta really should be kicking themselves...some great chances spurned. Lamela very much needed that goal though. Very surprised that DDR is out and Bradley is in as well.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Wow....Colantuono making a shocking decision, taking off Moralez, who has been very dangerous.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:50 pm

BRADLEY!!!!!

2-0!!!
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sukrut23 Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Destro mighty unlucky, Bradley with the nice finish 2-0
sukrut23
sukrut23
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Great and classy finish by Bradley. Great to see him on the score sheet right after his injury. DDR would be proud.

Seeing Bradley's joy after Roma fans chanted his name post goal was magic.

Much more composed and disciplined performance by Roma today. Andiamo.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Perotta coming on for Bradley.

Underwhelming but intelligent substitution considering Bradley cannot be pushed too hard after his recent injury. Superb performance by Michael.

Perotta is one who can close the gaps horizontally and provide a pressing option at the moment.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Bradley off to a deserved ovation. Great return for him.

Atalanta should be back in this for 2-1....Piris kept Denis onside there
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Piris has a bundle of talent but has shown to be a tad bit too raw at the moment. That or he simply adapting to the Serie A way.

Would love to see a Lamela brace or Destro cap a goal.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sukrut23 Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:24 pm

banana home win
sukrut23
sukrut23
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:33 pm

FT 2-0 Roma-Atalanta

Not that usual swashbuckling Zeman-like performance. But isn't that a good thing?

Roma showed a more quiet and discipline minded side as either they suffer from the routing at Juventus Arena or that Zeman has gone for a more conservative approach. This could indicate that Zeman has learned the ultra pressing and attacking mentality just cannot work in the Serie A or that it cannot hold up with this talented but raw defence. It also indicated Roma might go for a more counter-attacking approach in the future.

Lamela was just excellent and a constant thorn in the Bergamese defence as his well taken finish was just a bonus. Totti as usual was the cerebral conductor up front and showed many touches of class and vision. He always looked to set-up his trademark inside long range shot yet Consigli was on the spot for the saves. Destro did everything but score as his movement and trickery was well on display yet was unlucky not to break the compact Atalanta side. Tachtsidis was rash in his challenges yet typically dominated the mid central of the field. Florenzi showed a more composed performance and preferred to stay deeper and display his talent in distribution along with his occasional surging runs.

Bradley did well to slot in for DDR as Curva Sud probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if Bradley had hair and a beard. Nonetheless you can he is growing in confidence to command the midfield as he usually does for club and country.

Despite the more conservative approach Roma still need to fix a few things in the back as both Piris and Balza (as of late and out of form) could not deal well with Schelotto and Scozorella while the defensive line needs to learn how to play an offside trap better. They need the definitive command in the back that is missing.

All in all its great to see Roma with a clean sheet ( Shocked ) and their first home win. Atmosphere despite the empty seats (40K attendance actually) was great. This should give the confidence to Roma that they need to recover.

MOTM? Between Totti, Bradley, Florenzi and Lamela. lol decide for me.

Last edited by Arquitecto on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ErPupone Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:36 pm

flameas wrote:End of Zeman..
[quote="flameas"]

I think a coffee guy would be quite appropriate here. Gotta love it when fans believe in the team...
ErPupone
ErPupone
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next