Fabio Grosso to Australia?!

2 posters

Go down

Fabio Grosso to Australia?! Empty Fabio Grosso to Australia?!

Post by BarcaKizz Fri May 25, 2012 6:50 am

Leading player agent Lou Sticca, who masterminded Dwight Yorke's signing with Sydney FC in 2005, confirmed to The Australian yesterday that he was negotiating with several A-League clubs the prospect of the former Italian international and World Cup winner finishing his career here.

Grosso was labelled public enemy No 1 in Australia for what many believe was a dive in the last minute of Italy's round of 16 match against the Socceroos at the Fritz Walter Stadium in Kaiserslautern almost six years ago. With the scores 0-0 and the game heading for extra time, he fell in the box after an innocuous tackle by Lucas Neill.

Referee Luis Cantalejo immediately pointed to the spot and Francesco Totti calmly slotted home the penalty that broke the hearts of a nation.

The uproar over Grosso's fall raged for weeks and it still rankles many fans but the 34-year-old defender now wants to give something back to Australia.

"I have spoken to him several times and he is very interested in playing in the A-League," Sticca revealed exclusively to The Australian's website yesterday. "He is looking for a new, exciting challenge and feels he still has plenty to offer. He has had a number of offers to stay in Italy and play either in the Serie A or Serie B. There is also strong interest from China.

"But Fabio is really interested in coming to Australia, especially for the lifestyle. He has a young family and believes Australia would be a wonderful place for his family."

Sticca said Grosso, who has spent the past three seasons playing for recently crowned Italian champion Juventus, is not looking for a final pay day because "he doesn't need the money".

"As you can imagine, he has made a good living out of football, playing in Europe," he said. "This is not about finances. He is not asking for huge money. Certainly, he doesn't want to be considered a marquee so he would fit in under the salary cap.

"I have been in discussions with a number of A-League clubs and there is certainly huge interest."

While Sticca refused to name the clubs, it would appear Grosso would be a perfect fit for the new Western Sydney franchise, which will debut in the A-League next season. The region has a strong Italian background and he is the type of player who would create immense media interest and put bums on seats.

Grosso, who scored the final penalty in the shoot-out against France in the 2006 World Cup final, is now a free agent after leaving Juventus, where he played only a handful of games after falling out of favour.

In total he played 47 games for the "Old Lady" and had stints at Inter Milan and French club Lyon.

Grosso played 48 times and scored four goals for Italy.

Meanwhile, Melbourne Victory appears set to sign Greek international Vengelis Moras.

Moras, 30, has been playing with Serie A club Cesena since 2009 but is looking for a move after the club was relegated at the end of the recent season.

A tall leftback (1.95m), Moras, who has been capped 16 times for Greece, managed only 16 games with Cesena since joining the club in 2009.

This would be great! I'm sure he'd get an interesting receoption hmm
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Fabio Grosso to Australia?! Empty Re: Fabio Grosso to Australia?!

Post by Forza Fri May 25, 2012 7:05 am

Surely he knows that he is hated by many Aussies?

Personally, I think it's well past time to let it go. Pim Verbeek deserves twice as much shit.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Fri May 25, 2012 7:27 am

I think he'd get a few boos here and there, but he'd also get a pretty warm welcome. If he came to help out Aussie football he'd be very popular. Italians across Oz would love him here and it would help engage them more in the A-League.

We'll always be a bit upset about it, but he's not personally vilified. I think its in the past and he'd be welcomed.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down