Can someone explain what happened to Alberto Gilardino?

+12
BarrileteCosmico
Cotes
Dante
dostoevsky
The_ItalianFool
Zuess99
iNFINITY9910
BiasedMilanFan3
Twoism
Sticchio
Luca
zarola
16 posters

Go down

Can someone explain what happened to Alberto Gilardino?  Empty Can someone explain what happened to Alberto Gilardino?

Post by zarola Thu May 17, 2012 3:37 am

I know this may be difficult to believe, but the man is only 29 years old, and he has done nothing lately and didn't even make Italy's 32 man squad.

He was only 23 at the world cup and literally off of the top of my head, this is what he did at that world cup:
- screened the keeper and ducked out of the way for Pirlo's opening goal against Ghana
- Diving header and sickest celebration against USA
- hit the post vs Germany, assisted Pirlo who assisted Grosso for the first goal, faked out defender and assisted Del Piero for second goal.

This is pretty big for someone 23 years old. He had a very successful time at Parma and a decent time at Milan as well. Why is it now, in his prime, and even at the 2010 world cup he has become such a disaster? Seems illogical to me, I would've predicted someone like to be one of the biggest strikers today.
zarola
zarola
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Can someone explain what happened to Alberto Gilardino?  Empty Re: Can someone explain what happened to Alberto Gilardino?

Post by Luca Thu May 17, 2012 3:51 am

I never really rated him that highly smoking

Would you take him in the 32 man squad? I certainly would not at this point. The past is passed us.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Can someone explain what happened to Alberto Gilardino?  Empty Re: Can someone explain what happened to Alberto Gilardino?

Post by Sticchio Thu May 17, 2012 3:51 am

He heard about Ciro Immobile coming to Genoa and began to flop. Razz
Sticchio
Sticchio
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by zarola Thu May 17, 2012 4:00 am

No I certainly wouldn't take him on the 32 man squad. I would just think a 23 year old who destroyed the world would be at least a big name 6 years later.

Imagine it like this, Destro (or Borini) are used consistently by Italy, manage to score a goal and create opportunities for others, and ultimately Italy win the Euro Cup. Now, six years later in 2018, would you not suspect them to be a big part of Italy's attack, or at least a big part of a big club?

It's mind boggling that even 4 years later, maybe even less than that, he [Gilardino] was virtually a nobody.
zarola
zarola
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Thu May 17, 2012 4:02 am

6 years is a lifetime in football. So, no.
I wouldn't expect it but I would consider it likely.

And I would hardly call what Gilardino did in 2006 as destroying the world. He played an important role but it's not like he was flawless, as you may be inadvertently presenting him as.

He played decently at Milan but really couldn't cut it, that should tell you more than enough. That a world cup winner falls out of a big club, that's where his head is at.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Thu May 17, 2012 4:04 am

This season, it's easy to explain really, he's not good enough.

I followed Gilardino for years since his break out season in Parma, great player who has some serious flaws. His success mostly attributed to Prandelli and rightfully so. This proven by the two collaboration at Parma & Fiorentina. Prandelli knows how to get the best out of Gilardino, he has to be focal point of the attack, every ball needs to be fed to him and when he's clinical, he bang goals. But the game is evolving and sadly it leaves the type of players like Gilardino or Toni behind, classic forward who is static and stay up front the whole game. They don't have anything else to offer. Even forward like Gomez of Falcao works their socks off for the team. If you look at Italy selection, all forwards are dynamic, the like who works for the team, run, link up and assists. Prandelli said so himself

“Today there is no longer a static player in attack. Mario Balotelli can be used in that role, but also on the flanks. It’s the same for Di Natale and Giovinco who have scored a lot without being a reference point for defenders.”

Don't get me wrong, he's still good player and I don't mind him at Parma but for big team or national team, he's finished.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BiasedMilanFan3 Thu May 17, 2012 5:58 am

It's understandable really

He's not a very good forward
BiasedMilanFan3
BiasedMilanFan3
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by iNFINITY9910 Thu May 17, 2012 7:29 am

I remember his epic dive... maybe he tried to choose the easy path of deceiving and failed?
iNFINITY9910
iNFINITY9910
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

http://twitter.com/iNFINITY9910

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuess99 Thu May 17, 2012 8:24 am

Dont really care, Thank God he left milan.
Zuess99
Zuess99
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The_ItalianFool Thu May 17, 2012 10:39 am

He has always sucked. Just was in the right place at the right time.
The_ItalianFool
The_ItalianFool
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Thu May 17, 2012 11:35 am

I disagree that he was a poor player, however his sometimes explosive nature detailed the inconsistency which plagued his career at the top level. He's a static point, however Gilardino was always very adept at creating space and opportunities for others, whilst his movement was good enough to create several chances for himself during a match however he'd have matches where he'd kill you off at the first opportunity and others where he'd miss from three yards and the latter situation came to dominate for Alberto. He's certainly above average in most departments, however whereas Lippi enjoyed playing Gilardino so as to make use of his hold up play for the benefit of the likes of Iaquinta and co, Prandelli has a project to rebuild and Gilardino is no longer suited to the national team. At Fiorentina he was at a decaying team and his move to Geona has been the common but fatal sideways step that has reinforced his stagnation. He was never our best striker, however he's gone from a useful option to one left behind by time, confidence and fortune.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Thu May 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Well , Gilardino is the next Di Vaio. He's suffering the same fate . Both hyped to death at Parma , though for good reasons back then , then joined Juventus and Milan respectively . They couldn't establish themselves into these teams despite being there 2 and 3 seasons each , or put it better ,they couldn't meet expectations and both left for other shores.

Both missed the best chance of their carerrs .They didn't succeed at top level and they knew that they won't get another one. That's why it took Di Vaio untill 2008 to find himself again and that's why Gilardino seems finished these days at Genoa . Gilardino at Milan wasn't a failure , but he wasn't what Milan bought him to be either. Took him over a year if i remember well , to score his 1st CL goal , which is ridiculous considering the level Milan were at the time. Pippo was 33 at the time and was still banging the goals for fun .

As Twoism said , static forwards like Gilardino , who need consistent feeding all times to produce and that if they are in form , are just going extinct these days and for good reasons. Gilardino changing his game or improving his flaws are unthinkable now at 29 , so he'll end up somewhere in Serie A who will give him the chance of being important again , just like Di Vaio did.

If he finds his Bologna , he will still be around and score goals once again, but if he looks for clubs that look to compete at the top and have high expectations in the rankings , he'll dissapear just like he does now at Genoa. A return to Parma or a move to Palermo , who might need a player of his experience these days might be the right move for him.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotes Thu May 17, 2012 2:34 pm

He left Milan for Fiorentina...that's what happened!
either way...he has won the world cup & the champions league...he did enough for his hype & then crawl back into his hole!
Cotes
Cotes
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Cotes wrote:He left Milan for Fiorentina...that's what happened!
either way...he has won the world cup & the champions league...he did enough for his hype & then crawl back into his hole!

he did won huge titles yes , but , he wasn't a big part of these tournaments though. Definitely not for Milan anyway , though for Italy , some would argue about it , some things he did are mention in the thread as well.

But overall , there were others who were more influental and vital for these teams to win these titles. This is not to derail his part in the successes , but just the image i still have from him , back then.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu May 17, 2012 4:32 pm

He was never that good...
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Tifoso Romanista Thu May 17, 2012 6:13 pm

:coffee: I am really happy that i dont see him in NT anymore , even though iam afraid he might find his way back and be as usual failure as he is at NT again

Luca Toni >>>>>>>>>>>Gilardino
Tifoso Romanista
Tifoso Romanista
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sticchio Thu May 17, 2012 6:16 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:He was never that good...

I wouldn't completely say that. I mean back in his days with Parma, he was a complete tank! During 2006, he did superb with the national team. Had some great spots with Milan, but then on dropped.

Overall.. not that great.. but was quality through his youth prime.
Sticchio
Sticchio
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by nichabr Thu May 17, 2012 9:57 pm

i still think milan should never have sold him especially when he was racking up 10+ goals a season....i felt he needed more faith because their were times when he did the amazing.
nichabr
nichabr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by JAY-Z Thu May 17, 2012 11:31 pm

Sticchio wrote:He heard about Ciro Immobile coming to Genoa and began to flop. Razz

Sciaccaaaaaaaaa:D
JAY-Z
JAY-Z
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zarola Fri May 18, 2012 12:55 am

lol @ people saying he was never good, that was definitely not the case.
zarola
zarola
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Fri May 18, 2012 3:41 am

I'll tell you what happened.

Matri, Rossi, Pazzini, Di Natale, Quagiarella. All better than him at this point.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Fri May 18, 2012 4:51 am

Lord Hispano wrote:I'll tell you what happened.

Matri, Rossi, Pazzini, Di Natale, Quagiarella. All better than him at this point.

And yet only Di Natale will be there for Euro.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down