LeBéninois
RedOranje
REWB
30 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Roy for England - Page 2 Empty Re: Roy for England

Post by the xcx Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Roy Hogsons has experience in his side..40 years of managing clubs, thats GOAT to me.

the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:19 pm

Every one knows that EBJT (England's Brave John Terry) will be the manager anyway.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Arquitecto wrote:
GoonerJay29 wrote:Many of us English folk are actually okay with this, and the majority of people saying he's not the right man are, mysteriously enough, Liverpool fans.

No denying his time at Liverpool was rather rubbish, but he has been good else where. A bad tenure at one club doesn't suddenly make him a bad manager.

Bristol
Oddevoid
Orebro
Xamax
Inter (Massive failure here)
UAE (Another excuse laden failure)
Blackburn
Udinese (Fired after 4 horrible months;more excuses)
Finland (Worst percentage of any Finland manager)
Liverpool (Our worst manager of all time, yes worse than Souness)

All clubs he has flopped in

See a trend here? I could name some of his scandinavian wins in which he holds so dear but the fact is Roy only thrives under mid-lower table clubs with little pressure as he is completely out of his depth tactically (or in any other way for that matter) when coming to a top club.

Ask the fans of all those clubs, (unrealistic proposal though) they will tell you of the famous and clueless Bodgson.

As for England, we know just how much pressure there is in managing the 3 lions.

You've got your facts wrong there, Arqy, mate.

Hodgson did well in charge of Finland's NT and his win % is nowhere near the worst, plus we had our highest ever FIFA ranking (33) under Hodgson in 2007.

He also got us the closest we have ever been to making it to the Euros... Sad
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:28 pm

Woy is a legend in Finland :bow:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:31 pm

If he did well for the Finnish NT, maybe he can do so for the English NT, too?
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Art Morte wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:
GoonerJay29 wrote:Many of us English folk are actually okay with this, and the majority of people saying he's not the right man are, mysteriously enough, Liverpool fans.

No denying his time at Liverpool was rather rubbish, but he has been good else where. A bad tenure at one club doesn't suddenly make him a bad manager.

Bristol
Oddevoid
Orebro
Xamax
Blackburn

See a trend here? I could name some of his scandinavian wins in which he holds so dear but the fact is Roy only thrives under mid-lower table clubs with little pressure as he is completely out of his depth tactically (or in any other way for that matter) when coming to a top club.

Ask the fans of all those clubs, (unrealistic proposal though) they will tell you of the famous and clueless Bodgson.

As for England, we know just how much pressure there is in managing the 3 lions.

Hodgson did well in charge of Finland's NT and his win % is nowhere near the worst, plus we had our highest ever FIFA ranking (33) under Hodgson in 2007.

Art Morte wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:

Bristol
Oddevoid
Orebro
Xamax
Blackburn

Well from what I always heard is that Roy was an extremely pragmatic and safe manager who was only praised for his defense but piss poor attack. (6 0-0s out of 14 in Qualifying)

Since your Finnish I do think you would know better. But a 27% win rate is poor even for a Finland manager.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Woy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dogleash

Good appointment IMO, miles better than any other possible candidate.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Woy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dogleash

Good appointment IMO, miles better than any other possible candidate.
Doglish has won 2 league and a carling cup too :coffee:

Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:16 pm

The 27.3% win percentage was the lowest of all Finalnd managers since 2000, but six of their wins were official qualifying matches and they finished 4th in their group with 24 points. For a nation that had never qualified for a major tournament, I think that's a rather respectable accomplishment.

The guy has been managing for so long, there are bound to be clubs where he wouldn't be successful. But at the same time, nobody should ignore the things he has accomplished with smaller sides.

England might be in the top 10 of the world rankings, but are we genuine contenders for anything? No, we're a quarter-final side at best. We have some great players, but we're not exactly stocked with talent everywhere. Expectations at the moment are lower than they have been for a while and the majority of England fans I've spoken too have said they expect us to not even get out of our group in Euro 2012.

What England needs at the moment is someone to come in and get the best out of what we have, because right now we're in a transitional phase and a have lot of work to do to even begin building a remotely decent squad. That's why I think Hodgson's expeirence and pragmatism will benefit us. As much as I don't like it, this nation is better suited to a pragmatic approach than anything else at the moment.

Really, there's not much to lose here. If he comes in and doesn't do well, then we can easily cite a lack of preparation time as the reason why and then get a new manager in for the World Cup. If he does well (read: getting out of the group) than great, we'll see how he does from there.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:10 pm

This Euro's is the time for the England to blood some new players and let go of some of the old...

They shouldn't expect anything until the next WC or even the next Euro's when many of the good upcoming players will in their prime..
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Well from what I always heard is that Roy was an extremely pragmatic and safe manager who was only praised for his defense but piss poor attack. (6 0-0s out of 14 in Qualifying)

Since your Finnish I do think you would know better. But a 27% win rate is poor even for a Finland manager.

Pragmatic and safe he was when in charge of Finland. And I believe that was the only sensible way going about it, our player material wasn't of the sort with which you could play risky, attacking football. So we didn't score too many, but we weren't easy to beat either.

That's what England has to be against the top sides in international football, imo. Well organised and defensively solid. On paper Hodgson is the man for that. Let's give him a chance now.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Decent manager and better than Redknapp.

Arq, Roy would have to do really shite to be England's worst. I don't think he will flop that hard even if he did flop.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:10 pm

I think an English manager is good for England. An English manager doesn't have to worry about his team not playing "english enough", so he can just do what works. I endorse the choice. Better than a high-profile foreigner who is expected to play to "english strengths" that don't exist.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Tue May 01, 2012 4:01 pm

OFFICIAL: Roy signs 4 yr deal for England manager
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Tue May 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Live press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K4Gk_Y8cLtk
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue May 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Roy for England - Page 2 Harry+RedknappRoy for England - Page 2 Harry+Redknapp
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Tue May 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Roy is actually a good manager and has had loads of experience as he has been a manager for a long time.Him being Liverpool's worst ever manager is bs,his results in The PL are very similar to Dalglish and he didnt have one hundred and ten million to spend.If Roy had that kind of money I'm 100% sure Liverpool would have finished top four.Just because he is a Liverpool legend people are overrating him, He made absoloutely terrible transfers.I mean he spent 20m on each of downing and henderson......
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Tue May 01, 2012 6:29 pm

vivabarca38 wrote:Roy is actually a good manager and has had loads of experience as he has been a manager for a long time.Him being Liverpool's worst ever manager is bs,his results in The PL are very similar to Dalglish and he didnt have one hundred and ten million to spend.If Roy had that kind of money I'm 100% sure Liverpool would have finished top four.Just because he is a Liverpool legend people are overrating him, He made absoloutely terrible transfers.I mean he spent 20m on each of downing and henderson......

It wasn't the record that got Hodgson sacked. It was the mentality he imparted on the team as well as doing as much as possible to make Anfield hate his guts. (Not defending players being criticised in the media, small club mentality ever game etc.)
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Tue May 01, 2012 8:06 pm

I like Hodgson, he's a really decent guy, unfortunately I just feel this has 'Graham Taylor' written all over it. Taylor too was a thorough gentleman who had achieved modest success at club level. He just didn't have what it took to make the big step up to England manager. I know Roy has managed internationally before but this is completely different. Take the absurd expectations of the nation for example - England are not going to win any major tournament, making the semi's would be a hell of an achievement, but realistically it's quarters at best. They are, essentially, a team of perennial flops who quite simply, are overrated. They have never delivered, yet the level of expectation accompanying each tournament resembles that of Brazil. The east end media is savage, they tore Taylor a new one, he wasn't supposed to get the job, it was Clough's. Don't be surprised to see something similar happen this time round, it was Harry's job, not Hodgson's. Taylor came in at a bad time, a transitional perioid, where just never got a break, be it with injuries or whatever. The 'Golden Generation' is coming to an end and England are again embarking upon a period of transition. Despite this, the media will still set the bar far too high. Hodgson, like Taylor, is a nice guy. We all saw how he was powerless to stand up to the endless barrage of bad press he received at Liverpool, and he can expect something similar in the England post unless he's very lucky. Really I don't think there's anyone who can bring this England team to success, but Redknapp at least has the backing of the press and won't be scrutinised in the same way Roy will. The England set-up in general is all wrong, I wish Hodgson all the best, but there's not a lot he can do to be honest.

paddy
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 pm

On the other hand, Germany's Jogi Löw was never top rated on club level either, but he's great for the NT. Why can't it work for England, too? They tried the approach with absolute top managers already, and look where it brought England.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue May 01, 2012 8:14 pm

While that maybe true Ms Powers, Germany also invested heavily into a massive upheaval in German football that is reaping the benefits now. Has England done something like that for Woy to work with?! As Paddy wrote, I wish Woy all the best in his new job because he would truly need all the luck he can get.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Yeah, the English grass root level reform that is talked about for years but that never came to pass... Well, maybe he might put something in motion? Didn't he say in the interview he'd decide how to go about things as soon as he took a closer look? I would really hope for England to get their NT in order again.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Tue May 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Also I forgot that Roy's West Bromich are only three points behind Liverpool while having a much worse team.Not only that,But he has Defeated both Kenny and Liverpool twice this season.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 pm

vivabarca38 wrote:Also I forgot that Roy's West Bromich are only three points behind Liverpool
He's not kidding, either
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Tue May 01, 2012 10:01 pm

Arquitecto wrote:England now will have their worst manager ever to shoulder the burden of those 3 Lions.

I really can't help but feel bad for you English folk. Laughing

I mean choosing between Redknapp and Roy is like choosing between a Morris Marina and an 87' Yugo.

Roy for England - Page 2 Roy-hodgson

"Cole? More like Konchesky"

Hey hey I drive that ....

u jelly ?

Roy for England - Page 2 Yugo-65-12
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 pm

England doesn't have a shot at Euros anyways.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next