Messi; Cristiano's Kryptonite

5 posters

Go down

Messi; Cristiano's Kryptonite Empty Messi; Cristiano's Kryptonite

Post by huntsman Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Two footballers are sitting on a sofa, chatting. "God sent me down to Earth to teach people how to play football," says Cristiano Ronaldo. "Don’t be daft, I didn’t send anyone down to Earth," replies Messi.

It’s a joke which has done the rounds online and perfectly illustrates how the fans view the rivalry between the Portuguese and the Argentine. Aged 27 and 24 respectively, the two superstars share a similar career trajectory and desire to win, but their style both on and off the pitch could not be more different.

"Cristiano Ronaldo subscribes to Euclid’s theory: the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Not only that, you have to blast down that line at warp speed until you reach the goal," muses award-winning Spanish writer Manuel Vicent in El Pais.

"Leo Messi prefers Einstein: the shortest distance between two points is always a curve, and the only way to arrive is if you zigzag unpredictably like a careering swine trying to dodge the axe. Ronaldo inspires passion – Messi, admiration." And that’s why they are considered the gods of the modern footballing world.

It is true to an extent that Cristiano likes to compete with himself. When prompted to reflect on the comparisons made with Messi, he replies: "It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. My personality and my style of football are completely different from his. I’m only interested in my football and winning with Real Madrid." He insists he is not jealous of Messi, but there is no doubt that Leo is like the kryptonite to his Superman. The Argentine represents an obsession for him, his Achilles’ heel. It’s not a coincidence that from Spain, to Cyprus, to Bosnia, rival fans chant "Messi, Messi, Messi!" at him. They know it will touch a nerve.

Leo has been compared with Cristiano for years. He is seen as his direct rival in the race to become the best in the world. And if the Portuguese publicly scoffs at the idea that he should feel any jealousy towards Messi and denies that privately he tries to break him down bit by bit, it is widely claimed that there has been an atmosphere of extreme tension between Cristiano and the ‘little one’, as he is known, ever since he toppled the former Ballon d’Or off the number one spot.

Real Madrid insiders say that seeing Cristiano Ronaldo in front of the TV watching Messi play is priceless. When his agent Jorge Mendes is watching with him, he tries to calm him down by saying that people don’t understand anything about football, that the Barça No. 10 doesn’t deserve to be the best in the world.

The comparisons between Ronaldo and Messi have been made constantly ever since the two started to shine at Manchester United and Barcelona. It began as a football rivalry but has since transferred to all aspects of their lives. There are university courses which analyse and compare their exposure in the media, and there is even a brand war. Cristiano endorses Nike, Messi Adidas; Cristiano wears Armani, Messi wears Dolce & Gabbana; Cristiano has a Time Force watch while Messi’s is Audemars Piguet; when it comes to what they put in their cars, the Portuguese uses Castrol while the Argentine prefers Repsol; and finally, the Blancos No. 7 drinks Soccerade, while the Blaugrana No. 10 drinks Gatorade.

According to Sports Illustrated Messi wins in the financial stakes, making €31 million a year to Ronaldo’s €27.5m. But Cristiano is ahead on social media, with more than three million Twitter followers and 30 million Facebook fans, just a bit behind some of the biggest popstars like Lady Gaga. Messi only created his Facebook page in the spring of 2011, and as a result he is lagging behind with 'only' seven million fans.

All these comparisons bring us back to the same question: who is the best? It's a question asked thousands of times ... And everyone has their opinion

But all these comparisons bring us back to the same question: who is the best? It’s a question asked thousands of times in the newspapers, on the radio, on TV and on blogs, and everyone from coaches, footballers, pundits and plain old fans have been swept up in the debate. Everyone has their own opinion.

Ronaldo versus Messi has earned its place as a classic derby. Sport is fuelled by rivalries between athletes, teams and countries, as well as by comparisons between different periods in each of their histories. Memory is a fundamental element of the game and pitting one person against another is a favourite pastime which has always divided world media opinion.

Boxers Ali and Foreman, racing drivers Prost and Senna, Italian cyclists Bartali and Coppi, tennis stars Borg and McEnroe, basketball players Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, motorcycle racers Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo, athletes Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson …

But in football it is rare to find a player considered to be a ‘great’ who can also be overshadowed by a contemporary. Pele, Cruyff, Maradona and Di Stefano never overlapped in terms of their time at the top. But now there is a personal duel between two stars which has become one of the greatest one-on-ones ever.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Messi; Cristiano's Kryptonite Empty Re: Messi; Cristiano's Kryptonite

Post by huntsman Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:37 pm

I think the gap between Cristiano and Messi has grown less this season.
Cristiano just need to lighten up and enjoy playing rather than think about it as a rivalry.

Relax, Cristiano, just play for the sake of enjoying and you will be the best player again.
huntsman
huntsman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Did you write that Huntsman?

If yes, then it is an excellent article and a great read.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by beatrixasdfghjk. Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:05 pm

http://www.goal.com/en/news/4240/ronaldo-the-obsession-for-perfection/2012/04/20/3044935/messi-is-like-kryptonite-to-cristiano-ronaldos-superman-the

If he didn't write it, then it's suddenly crap?
Razz.

beatrixasdfghjk.
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:37 pm

beatrixasdfghjk. wrote:http://www.goal.com/en/news/4240/ronaldo-the-obsession-for-perfection/2012/04/20/3044935/messi-is-like-kryptonite-to-cristiano-ronaldos-superman-the

If he didn't write it, then it's suddenly crap?
Razz.

Haha, i can see why you said that. I did not word it correctly. I meant to say that if he had written it, then kudos to him.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by billionmillion Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:40 pm

yea i also like that article. it doesnt compare players or doesnt create a scandal between readers. just an unbiased professional article. take a lesson newbie goal.com authors
billionmillion
billionmillion
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:19 pm

huntsman wrote:Two footballers are sitting on a sofa, chatting. "God sent me down to Earth to teach people how to play football," says Cristiano Ronaldo. "Don’t be daft, I didn’t send anyone down to Earth," replies Messi.

It’s a joke which has done the rounds online and perfectly illustrates how the fans view the rivalry between the Portuguese and the Argentine. Aged 27 and 24 respectively, the two superstars share a similar career trajectory and desire to win, but their style both on and off the pitch could not be more different.

"Cristiano Ronaldo subscribes to Euclid’s theory: the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Not only that, you have to blast down that line at warp speed until you reach the goal," muses award-winning Spanish writer Manuel Vicent in El Pais.

"Leo Messi prefers Einstein: the shortest distance between two points is always a curve, and the only way to arrive is if you zigzag unpredictably like a careering swine trying to dodge the axe. Ronaldo inspires passion – Messi, admiration." And that’s why they are considered the gods of the modern footballing world.

It is true to an extent that Cristiano likes to compete with himself. When prompted to reflect on the comparisons made with Messi, he replies: "It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. My personality and my style of football are completely different from his. I’m only interested in my football and winning with Real Madrid." He insists he is not jealous of Messi, but there is no doubt that Leo is like the kryptonite to his Superman. The Argentine represents an obsession for him, his Achilles’ heel. It’s not a coincidence that from Spain, to Cyprus, to Bosnia, rival fans chant "Messi, Messi, Messi!" at him. They know it will touch a nerve.

Leo has been compared with Cristiano for years. He is seen as his direct rival in the race to become the best in the world. And if the Portuguese publicly scoffs at the idea that he should feel any jealousy towards Messi and denies that privately he tries to break him down bit by bit, it is widely claimed that there has been an atmosphere of extreme tension between Cristiano and the ‘little one’, as he is known, ever since he toppled the former Ballon d’Or off the number one spot.

Real Madrid insiders say that seeing Cristiano Ronaldo in front of the TV watching Messi play is priceless. When his agent Jorge Mendes is watching with him, he tries to calm him down by saying that people don’t understand anything about football, that the Barça No. 10 doesn’t deserve to be the best in the world.The comparisons between Ronaldo and Messi have been made constantly ever since the two started to shine at Manchester United and Barcelona. It began as a football rivalry but has since transferred to all aspects of their lives. There are university courses which analyse and compare their exposure in the media, and there is even a brand war. Cristiano endorses Nike, Messi Adidas; Cristiano wears Armani, Messi wears Dolce & Gabbana; Cristiano has a Time Force watch while Messi’s is Audemars Piguet; when it comes to what they put in their cars, the Portuguese uses Castrol while the Argentine prefers Repsol; and finally, the Blancos No. 7 drinks Soccerade, while the Blaugrana No. 10 drinks Gatorade.

According to Sports Illustrated Messi wins in the financial stakes, making €31 million a year to Ronaldo’s €27.5m. But Cristiano is ahead on social media, with more than three million Twitter followers and 30 million Facebook fans, just a bit behind some of the biggest popstars like Lady Gaga. Messi only created his Facebook page in the spring of 2011, and as a result he is lagging behind with 'only' seven million fans.

All these comparisons bring us back to the same question: who is the best? It's a question asked thousands of times ... And everyone has their opinion

But all these comparisons bring us back to the same question: who is the best? It’s a question asked thousands of times in the newspapers, on the radio, on TV and on blogs, and everyone from coaches, footballers, pundits and plain old fans have been swept up in the debate. Everyone has their own opinion.

Ronaldo versus Messi has earned its place as a classic derby. Sport is fuelled by rivalries between athletes, teams and countries, as well as by comparisons between different periods in each of their histories. Memory is a fundamental element of the game and pitting one person against another is a favourite pastime which has always divided world media opinion.

Boxers Ali and Foreman, racing drivers Prost and Senna, Italian cyclists Bartali and Coppi, tennis stars Borg and McEnroe, basketball players Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, motorcycle racers Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo, athletes Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson …

But in football it is rare to find a player considered to be a ‘great’ who can also be overshadowed by a contemporary. Pele, Cruyff, Maradona and Di Stefano never overlapped in terms of their time at the top. But now there is a personal duel between two stars which has become one of the greatest one-on-ones ever.
The only part i don't believe.
their great rivality is good. i just really hope they won't have a relation maradonna-pélé later . All champions need greats opponent. Messi is a legend ( he is on the way) but so is CR7 . When you ill see Messi's name is a paper, Ronaldo's will be some in the following sentences. Messi , until now, is the better player , that said he is more talented than Ronaldo , but this guy is so an hard-worker and i hope he will pull out some greats performances in great great games so he won't be the George Foreman of Football
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down