How good is Javi Martinez REALLY (in midfield)?

+15
Babun
Dnmac4
Kingofeverythingclassy
Great Leader Sprucenuce
S32TABLANCA
Dante
Lord Awesome
Abramovich
Onyx
Mr Nick09
Error
fatman123
Kick
Blue Barrett
animal.crackers
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How good is Javi Martinez REALLY (in midfield)? Empty How good is Javi Martinez REALLY (in midfield)?

Post by animal.crackers Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:40 am

How good is this guy really? We've been linked with him a lot in the media, and a LOT of City fans seem to think he is the next best thing and want him to replace Barry and partner Touré in midfield. I've only seen him against M. United and I didn't see what all the fuss was about. He was playing centreback though.

I think we need a defensive midfielder who can attack, pass quickly, make accurate long passes, and is solid defensively.

Those who watch him, can you tell me more about him? How good of a passer is he? How good is his overall technique? Those are my two main questions, but anything else you can tell me about how he actually plays in midfield would be brilliant.

Cheers
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

How good is Javi Martinez REALLY (in midfield)? Empty Re: How good is Javi Martinez REALLY (in midfield)?

Post by Blue Barrett Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:01 am

He's shit! :coffee:
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

How good is Javi Martinez REALLY (in midfield)? Empty Re: How good is Javi Martinez REALLY (in midfield)?

Post by animal.crackers Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:04 am

Barrettinator wrote:He's shit! :coffee:
*bleep* knew it! Very Happy
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:17 am

Horrible player.

Will be a complete flop.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by animal.crackers Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:18 am

pale I was actually hoping for some honest in-depth answers from people that actually know what they're talking about...but of course the new guy has to get trolled.
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:20 am

animal.crackers wrote:pale I was actually hoping for some honest in-depth answers from people that actually know what they're talking about...but of course the new guy has to get trolled.
He's fast, he's quick and he's got pace. :coffee:
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:22 am

animal.crackers wrote:pale I was actually hoping for some honest in-depth answers from people that actually know what they're talking about...but of course the new guy has to get trolled.

not to mention your a city fan Razz

na but javi martinez is classy, if city sign him barry will be able to keep nasri comfortable on the bench Laughing
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by animal.crackers Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:28 am

fatman123 wrote:

na but javi martinez is classy, if city sign him barry will be able to keep nasri comfortable on the bench Laughing
This City jealousy is starting to stink!

Hey, and Nasri's been starting nearly every game now that he's settled into our system.
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 am

animal.crackers wrote:
fatman123 wrote:

This City jealousy is starting to stink!

Hey, and Nasri's been starting nearly every game now that he's settled into our system.
How good is Javi Martinez REALLY (in midfield)? 1000x500px-LL-bdb6d827_youtalkintome2
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Error Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:43 am

Take Ballack (from Chelsea, not Leverkusen or Bayern) and remove his shooting abilities and you're quite close to what kind of player he is. Definitely a huge upgrade over Barry, De Jong or Milner.
Error
Error
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by animal.crackers Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:02 am

Error wrote:Take Ballack (from Chelsea, not Leverkusen or Bayern) and remove his shooting abilities and you're quite close to what kind of player he is. Definitely a huge upgrade over Barry, De Jong or Milner.
Sadly, Ballack's playing style is not fresh in my mind...It's been years now since I've last seen him in his prime. I do remember he was quite the player though.

Great control and passing.
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:24 am

Sorry, Welcome to the forums, I haven't watched him much but he is an improvement on every CM at city bar Yaya.

Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by animal.crackers Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:20 am

Kick wrote:

Sorry, Welcome to the forums, I haven't watched him much but he is an improvement on every CM at city bar Yaya.

Cheers
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:26 am

He is great, Dnmac will come in here and rave about him but he is one of the most rounded CM i know, but he never hit his prime as a CM so it's hard to tell which role suit him best. For Bilbao he was playing box to box and attacking a lot, while for the NT he was playing DM and was helping protect the playmakers. He has tools to do about whatever he wants but he will only truly grow if he is comforted in a single role. This year he develop his ability to read the game superbly, and his composure although he picked up so many yellows he made Ramos blush. Dunno if City will sign him tho, Real Madrid is already talking to their president, and Barca might be interested although i doubt they will pay what is asked for him. Welcome here btw.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by animal.crackers Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53 am

Mr Nick09 wrote:He is great, Dnmac will come in here and rave about him but he is one of the most rounded CM i know, but he never hit his prime as a CM so it's hard to tell which role suit him best. For Bilbao he was playing box to box and attacking a lot, while for the NT he was playing DM and was helping protect the playmakers. He has tools to do about whatever he wants but he will only truly grow if he is comforted in a single role. This year he develop his ability to read the game superbly, and his composure although he picked up so many yellows he made Ramos blush. Dunno if City will sign him tho, Real Madrid is already talking to their president, and Barca might be interested although i doubt they will pay what is asked for him. Welcome here btw.
Thanks for your excellent post.

Is he a good passer of the ball over long distances both on the ground AND air like a Xabi Alonso?

Does he have good vision for through balls etc?

Really appreciate your players as I know nothing about this guy. Only seen him at centre back and I was underwhelmed to be honest.
animal.crackers
animal.crackers
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:55 pm

He's a playmaker too.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:39 pm

I think he is what you call a complete midfielder, although he does lack pace somewhat but I don't think it would bother him playing in EPL as he's pretty massive.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 pm

mtfootball wrote:He's a playmaker too.

Javi Marti a playmaker? i wouldnt go as far as to call him that, i never saw him as Bilbao's playmaker.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 pm

I mean when he plays as a DM, he isn't just that, he can be a DLP too.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:20 pm

No he is not, he never was that kind of player. I feel like you are downgrading the DLP role just because he can pass. Pirlo is a DLP, Sahin is a DLP, Modric is a DLP, Alonso is a DLP, Javi Martinez is not.

Javi has a great passing range, great intelligence in his positioning, but he was never the kind of player to dominate and control the game for Bilbao, unless i missed something, i never saw him like that.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Yeh I probably am downgrading it, but Javi Martinez can be more than just a tackler. He has the potential to be a successful DLP and DM combined imo.

Last edited by mtfootball on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Yeah potentially, but not at the moment.

He can be just as good as Busquets if comforted in a DM role, maybe with different tools, but i can see him grow into the kind of player Yaya Toure was for barca.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Javi Martinez and Sahin would make a good combo.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Javi Martinez n' Busquets are my DM's in my Manager Mode. :coffee:

Anyway the guy's an all round player. Technical, Tough, has lungs, and can Defend elegantly. Not too bad in the air as well. Not slow either. He's my favorite DM.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:28 pm

He's a fine midfielder already , which can adapt to many situations in a game . His qualities are almost all posted here , so i won't drag it , though i would like to add he's been playing really smart as a CB. Not by any means he should remain a CB , but he plays the position with effect and calm .

In a better midfield , he would become really great to watch. I am unsure about him being a definite DLP as of now , though , i wouldn't act surprised if he turns out to be such kind of player in the future .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next