Martial Arts thread

3 posters

Go down

Martial Arts thread Empty Martial Arts thread

Post by Babun Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:43 pm

I created the thread to make some exchanges with Arquitecto but if you want input feel free to contribute eco smile

Questions towards Arq:

1. What's your most effective exercise to strengthen your solar plexus?

2. What's the Karateka's way to strengthen wrists?

eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Martial Arts thread Empty Re: Martial Arts thread

Post by Sushi Master Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Question 3 to Arq.

How the hell do you grow so much muscle on pure martial arts training?
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:54 am

Immortal Babun wrote:I created the thread to make some exchanges with Arquitecto but if you want input feel free to contribute eco smile

Questions towards Arq:

eco smile

1. Good question Babun. Unfortunately, since the Solar Plexus is essentially a 'nerve', it is highly difficult to train this part of your abdominals.

But, I will give you ways to improve it on what my sensei has thought me as I have found moderate results.

Exercise A: Hang upside down from the Dojo pull-up bar, and perform sit-ups. Yet the difference while doing the sit-ups, you must hold your body static once your back is parallel to the ground. This essentially applies immense amounts of pressure to your SP as your abdominal at this point will be at its utmost contraction.

We do this twice a week and 20 reps with 1 set.

Exercise B) Get into the Sanchin stance, and with your partner, have him condition you repeatedly within that area while you breath out every time during contact and breath in during the brief moment when he/she pulls the punch back. After the conditioning, remain in the stance and breath in through your stomach inflated, hold for 1 count, and let it out slowly until your abdominal are inside your rib cage as this strengthens your diaphragm which is also responsible for your SP reflexes. Do this for 1 minute after.

In the end, they make moderate differences, but help in the end.

Conclusively, the best technique after all is guarding that area as best as you can Very Happy

Question 2: Babun, I also perform Aikaiddo which is more responsible for my wrist strengthening, but I do have some ways to strengthen them in mind.

Exercise A: The most common one is the knuckle push-ups where we rest our body weight on two our our inner knuckles on each hand and perform the push-ups on whatever amount of sets. This DEFINITELY strengthens your wrists.

Exercise B: Planch Push-ups: Another extremely difficult variation is to perform a push-up using only hands, without resting the feet on the floor, i.e. starting from and returning to the planche position. These are known as "planche push-ups". To do this variation, the body's center of gravity must be kept over the hands while performing the push-up by leaning forward while the legs are elevated in the air, which requires great strength and a high level of balance. The entire bodyweight is lifted in this variation. Its extremely difficult but I'm assuming your at this level now.

The others are more Aikaiddo wrist warmups in which you variably apply various exercises on yours wrists with painful pressure on them. Eventually, your joints and is muscular support of wrists strengthens as well.

Then there also is the punching bag.

Hope this helped.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Sushi Master wrote:Question 3 to Arq.

How the hell do you grow so much muscle on pure martial arts training?

Good question Sushi.

Growing up since my childhood I have been performing various martials arts since then as Kyokushin karate was most prominent.

Within the martial arts I take, when you reach the advanced stages it becomes more than body weight exercises. It transcends into the old ways of building muscle as this is strapping weights on all limbs while performing the motions, or another example is for grappling how we throw heavy sandbags onto each other and throw them over a certain platform, since this exercise builds grappling strength. There are many many other exercises in similar form as well as especially the infamously tough krav maga exercises which are of extremely high intensity which also uses old forms of weight in the martial arts way and not the bodybuilding way.

Yet to summarize it, if you perform these exercises with the correct intensity, your muscular system through all the wear and tear will break down yet completely re-strengthen and grow within a period of 14 days+.

But, my secret also is my use of supplements which ranges from heavy vitamins (and minerals) to replenish lost nutrients, creatine and whey protien.

Last but not least is my strict and heavy diet which I'm guessing you had seen in the Photo's thread. Although currently I am using the Paleolithic diet.

Combine all this and your body will grow faster than all these juiced up meatheads at the gym can Very Happy

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Arq how long have your practised Karatedo for?

Just started practising Systema, first time I've done anything in a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Arquitecto wrote:
Immortal Babun wrote:I created the thread to make some exchanges with Arquitecto but if you want input feel free to contribute eco smile

Questions towards Arq:

eco smile

1. Good question Babun. Unfortunately, since the Solar Plexus is essentially a 'nerve', it is highly difficult to train this part of your abdominals.

But, I will give you ways to improve it on what my sensei has thought me as I have found moderate results.

Exercise A: Hang upside down from the Dojo pull-up bar, and perform sit-ups. Yet the difference while doing the sit-ups, you must hold your body static once your back is parallel to the ground. This essentially applies immense amounts of pressure to your SP as your abdominal at this point will be at its utmost contraction.

We do this twice a week and 20 reps with 1 set.

Exercise B) Get into the Sanchin stance, and with your partner, have him condition you repeatedly within that area while you breath out every time during contact and breath in during the brief moment when he/she pulls the punch back. After the conditioning, remain in the stance and breath in through your stomach inflated, hold for 1 count, and let it out slowly until your abdominal are inside your rib cage as this strengthens your diaphragm which is also responsible for your SP reflexes. Do this for 1 minute after.

In the end, they make moderate differences, but help in the end.

Conclusively, the best technique after all is guarding that area as best as you can Very Happy

Question 2: Babun, I also perform Aikaiddo which is more responsible for my wrist strengthening, but I do have some ways to strengthen them in mind.

Exercise A: The most common one is the knuckle push-ups where we rest our body weight on two our our inner knuckles on each hand and perform the push-ups on whatever amount of sets. This DEFINITELY strengthens your wrists.

Exercise B: Planch Push-ups: Another extremely difficult variation is to perform a push-up using only hands, without resting the feet on the floor, i.e. starting from and returning to the planche position. These are known as "planche push-ups". To do this variation, the body's center of gravity must be kept over the hands while performing the push-up by leaning forward while the legs are elevated in the air, which requires great strength and a high level of balance. The entire bodyweight is lifted in this variation. Its extremely difficult but I'm assuming your at this level now.

The others are more Aikaiddo wrist warmups in which you variably apply various exercises on yours wrists with painful pressure on them. Eventually, your joints and is muscular support of wrists strengthens as well.

Then there also is the punching bag.

Hope this helped.
Arq, thanks :bow:

About 2., when I trained kickboxing first we used to train in gloves most of the time. My punch strength was really high after a year of practice. Then I tried to punch a hard sand bag without gloves=> injured eco smile From then on, I tried to learn the ways of fighting without gloves. You block differently, punch with the two inside knuckles etc. Basically, I switched from Kickboxing to Muai Thai. There, the instructor taught us to keep the push up position on bare knuckles (2 inside ones) in a long row of 20+ pupils. We moved a medicine ball back and forth until all our bodies burned eco smile Push ups were always on knuckles.
At the moment, I train them like this: I keep the push-up position on my knuckles with my feet on the wall, then do two very fast push-ups, jump from the ground with knuckles after the second one (feet still on the wall)land on them then stay in that position sometime-> repeat. I was looking for better ways to strengthen them.
I'm very interested in your planche push-ups. I'm certain they'd work, sounds like the hardcore version of what I'm doing eco smile

About 1. I installed a chinup bar between my door eco smile I hang down from it with my head towards ground and do sit-ups upwards eco smile Good to know that I should keep my body straight for a while when paralell to the ground eco smile Thanks for the info.
The second version is on the ground. I sit on my behind with my legs and upper body elevated from ground in V form, then I stretch both my legs and upper body very fast 2 times going almost straight but my feet or shoulders don't touch the ground. The breathing technique is most important in this one. Is it less usefull? eco smile
Hardening with hits is a must of course because you need to learn the breathing timing. Guarding is a good idea, I love to hit SP to exhaust people long term eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:02 pm

One more question, Arq. While lowkicks from MT and KB are very meaty in combos, outside of them they're easy to react ( whole body movement is predictable). Is there a meaty+relatively fast version of lowkick in Karate to hit someone who is retracting outside of my jab range? I mean outside of combos, just to get a piece of him eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Immortal Babun wrote:One more question, Arq. While lowkicks from MT and KB are very meaty in combos, outside of them they're easy to react ( whole body movement is predictable). Is there a meaty+relatively fast version of lowkick in Karate to hit someone who is retracting outside of my jab range? I mean outside of combos, just to get a piece of him eco smile

Just curious

Why would you need to hit someone that is retracting?

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Answer to some Arq questions about tournament preparation in chat eco smile

Asymmetric training

I use left jab mostly to keep the spacing/ opponent in check. I trained it with bench press one armed ( left) with so much weight that I could do 15-20 reps only but very fast. I use my right straight rarely, mostly to deliever decicive strikes. I trained my right with so much weight ( one armed bench press) that I could barely manage 5 very quick reps in one set. Afterwards, you practice with a punch bag, your left becomes your cardio version of the punch and your right becomes deadly eco smile

Weight tricks:

Every man carries 2kg shit around and lots of water. My weight limit was 80 kg. I trained to gain 82-83kg overall weight and mostly in muscles eco smile Three days prior to a tournament, I reduced the volumina what I ate to very scarce amount. Two days before, I wrapped myself into 3-4 layers of blankets and sweated 1,5-2 liters of water eco smile
Overall, you'll reduce your weight to 79-80kg but keep all the muscles eco smile The other positive thing, you take blows in abdomen area better with little shit in circulation eco smile
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:24 am

Babun, that is some very interesting piece of information in which I will be sure to use. Thanks.

But personally, I would advise against Bench press as it expands you chest which leaves more surface area for your ribcage and overall torso.

Plus, doesn't bodybuilding slow you down?
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:46 pm

BUMP!

I just contacted my sensei and I will be spectating sparring class tonight! I will also be working out my payment plan so that I can be back in class on Monday banana

Be careful, GoalLegacy Clubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down