billy_gr
Mamad
ronalessi
kiranr
Vapotrini
djcarlo
19 posters

Go down

Messi is record breakingly good, but... Empty Messi is record breakingly good, but...

Post by djcarlo Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 11:00

he fails to dazzle me...He is certainly the best player in the world currently and overall the last 3-4 years, but everything he does, while with perfection, he doesn't show what we haven't seen before. What I am trying to say is that he/his football is just not that 'fun' or 'take ur breath away' type. the goals he scores is almost repititive...we see those goals all the time, perhaps it's not his fault, it's just his type of football, but imo prime-Ronaldinho of recent players is still ''better'' and if i had to choose between the two, it would be the ronaldinho.

He is not GOAT. may be it's a matter of taste/prefference, but to those who claim he is the best ever, coz he scores 5 goals in one game. goals don't matter, it's the football that matters, and that's where i think messi may break every record (in club football) but that won't necessarily make him the GOAT.

Maradona, Cruyf, Zidane, Pele, Garrincha, Ronaldinho, and the real Ronaldo still remains players above him in my book.

djcarlo
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Messi is record breakingly good, but... Empty Re: Messi is record breakingly good, but...

Post by Vapotrini Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 11:11

This is gonna end well...

Vapotrini
Banned (Temporary)

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Messi is record breakingly good, but... Empty Re: Messi is record breakingly good, but...

Post by kiranr Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 11:49

You see goals like Messi's all the time? Please point me to the games you watch.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ronalessi Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 11:55

:vagi:
ronalessi
ronalessi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 11:57

Sure Ronaldinho, Zidane and some others were more magical and fun to watch but Messi i think is better than all of them in terms of influence and importance.
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 11:57

To some extent I agree. I have yet to see Ronaldinho’s kind of magic since his good days at Barca.
So from this perspective I could partially agree. Messi’s consistency and big game performance ability (at least with Barca) is something phenomenal though.

As for GOAT, I really don’t care.
Different eras dictate different types of players
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kiranr Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 12:01

To be honest, i find Messi's link up plays to be breathtaking. His one-twos are magic and i have always enjoyed it since he first came on to the scene.

Not to mention the godly feints.
kiranr
kiranr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 12:01

Nothing wrong with what he said TBH.

I'm sure that there are alot of people on this forum who even prefer Iniesta to Messi just based on style or preference.

Also he has a major talent which can't be stopped, at some point it does get repetitive.......

Exactly the reason why in my eyes he's a poor man's Benzema.Stylistically Benz is perfect.....gor my taste of course.......Messi can be infinitely better than him in every category but I'd never prefer to watch Messi.

Benz would score 5 every game for Barca 🔒

Last edited by Le Samourai on Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 12:25; edited 1 time in total
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 12:08

Messi is record breakingly good, but... 384625994tdvp3
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 12:08

He's not as good at defending corners as Ronaldo though. Not a complete player. Messi is record breakingly good, but... Lcmkefc6
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 12:16

🔒
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 12:19

Jonathan28 wrote:He's not as good at defending corners as Ronaldo though. Not a complete player. Messi is record breakingly good, but... Lcmkefc6

Somebody just had to do this. Now it BEGINS!!! :facepalm: I hope not. There's a good discussion to be had here if we avoid that kind of stuff.

---

On topic: Messi does score some repetitive goals, mostly horizontal/diagonal runs onto short passes around the top of the box, but he is undeniably freakishly good at times. An anomaly. Flicking the ball over a goalkeeper? I mean, who does that?! Nobody. Personally, my one criticism of Messi is that he could show more personality. He doesn't have the charisma of a Ronaldinho, Zidane, Maradona, Pele, etc. Is there anyone else who agrees with me on that or is it just my own imagination? Wink
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 12:51

If he fails to dazzle you it's because you know you can expect everything from him. He has done more spectacular things than any other player I've ever seen. But he does it so often, that we get accostumed. Yeah, Romario scored a couple of lob goals; Messi scored 10s; Ronaldinho dribled past 3-4 players every game; Messi twice; Ronaldo was a beas that could get the ball and score; Messi too. And he can pass like Laudrup, control the game almost like Xavi, etc.

He is just so good that you expect anything from him and thus he doens't dazzle you. I can see that.

However, even though, if you weren't dazzled with his goals vs. Arsenal last season, or his goal vs. Madrid at Bernabeu, or some of his passes this season... then you just simply don't love football.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 13:05

Hey guys, it was meant as a joke, can't you tell? I am a Barca fan you know....
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Die Borussen Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 13:11

Mamad wrote:Sure Ronaldinho, Zidane and some others were more magical and fun to watch but Messi i think is better than all of them in terms of influence and importance.

i would take messi in my team ( not real madrid xD) over anyone of all time. in terms of enjoying football ronaldinho was unreachable

Die Borussen
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 13:20

FFS he is a great player... stop comparing him to your 'classic legends' and just enjoy the freak that he is. If you don't want to admit he's up with them you never will, its as simple as that. There are some people that would never admit a modern player could be better than their heroes of past generations.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 13:40

The whole enjoying your football thing is ovverated. Th ereason you guys are saying Ronaldinho is because he would occasinally try tricks and they work. Messi has made dribbling 6 players in one go the norm in the camp Nou, that's why he is boring. Zidane would do a trick once every week and people would talk about it for weeks, Messi has made the extraordinary the norm. The guy is a joke.

Ronaldinho at his best at Barca was never at Messis level. Dinho had trick, but Messi beats his man far more and far more consitsently. Beter link up play, better at shooting. Literally, Messi is a level above the rest. In terms of abilities, Maradona is the only I would say that has done more than Messi and even he didn't ever do it this consistently.

Messi is easily on the levl of Cruyff, Maradona, Pele and Di Stefano. Anyone that says different is either deluded or just jelous. Anyone using the WC arguement could use the reverse for Maradona, he failed in the EUropean cup consecutively. Cruyff never won an international tournament, and neither did Di Stefano. Messi already has the record of a retired footaller ffs. When he breaks Rauls CL record what would be the excuse be? He will break RVN cl record, what will the excuse be?

Hell people will find excuses if he does win a WC tbh. I am not saying he is a GOAT of all time, because that would be stupid, but he has surpassed every player in the last 20+ years and is in the elites group.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by stunt Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 14:33

To me, Messi is better than Maradonna. And Maradonna is the only legend that Messi can be compared to.

What matters is goals scored, not their beauty. Ronaldinho is so overrated these days.

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by stunt Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 14:35

Jonathan28 wrote:He's not as good at defending corners as Ronaldo though. Not a complete player. Messi is record breakingly good, but... Lcmkefc6

What's funny is that it was a Barca fan that started it. And sad at the same time.

stunt
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 14:47

I rather have messi than Ronaldinho even in his prime

He is not as exciting as Ronaldinho but he is more lethal , more killer . even at 19 just after the WC-19 i noticed that . he is just :bow:

LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by billy_gr Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 15:01

Imagine if all Ronnie, Eto’o, Messi played for Barca on their primes Shocked
billy_gr
billy_gr
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 15:15

I'm a great fan of show boating, you know, the "senseless" dribbling of players. The shit that makes awesome youtube videos. Messi, despite not being too much of a show boater, certainly dazzles me. It's not so much you can stop him but more curtail his influence to a point where it is manageable.

Thing is, I didn't need a 5 goal record breaking match for me to recognise that as that match more showed me that defending and the art of defending really isn't as easy as posters think.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by gnrfan Thu 8 Mar 2012 - 16:14

I watched Ronaldinho every week and Zidane regularly while he was at Juve. never saw them turn in something like this over a whole match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1d9noEdl9E&list=PLC9444D13244A258A&index=2&feature=plpp_video
gnrfan
gnrfan
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri 9 Mar 2012 - 10:01

Jonathan28 wrote:Messi is record breakingly good, but... 384625994tdvp3

Laughing Lol that pic!!!

jibers wrote:The whole enjoying your football thing is ovverated. Th ereason you guys are saying Ronaldinho is because he would occasinally try tricks and they work. Messi has made dribbling 6 players in one go the norm in the camp Nou, that's why he is boring. Zidane would do a trick once every week and people would talk about it for weeks, Messi has made the extraordinary the norm. The guy is a joke.

Ronaldinho at his best at Barca was never at Messis level. Dinho had trick, but Messi beats his man far more and far more consitsently. Beter link up play, better at shooting. Literally, Messi is a level above the rest. In terms of abilities, Maradona is the only I would say that has done more than Messi and even he didn't ever do it this consistently.

Messi is easily on the levl of Cruyff, Maradona, Pele and Di Stefano. Anyone that says different is either deluded or just jelous. Anyone using the WC arguement could use the reverse for Maradona, he failed in the EUropean cup consecutively. Cruyff never won an international tournament, and neither did Di Stefano. Messi already has the record of a retired footaller ffs. When he breaks Rauls CL record what would be the excuse be? He will break RVN cl record, what will the excuse be?

Hell people will find excuses if he does win a WC tbh. I am not saying he is a GOAT of all time, because that would be stupid, but he has surpassed every player in the last 20+ years and is in the elites group.

One of the better posts I see u make Cool

And Lol @ the permanent ban Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down