Doc
EarlyPrototype
Lord Spencer
Swanhends
Sushi Master
Vibe
12 posters

Go down

Nathan Eccleston inder investigation for implying 9/11 was an inside job Empty Nathan Eccleston inder investigation for implying 9/11 was an inside job

Post by Vibe Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:55 pm

On his twitter

“R.I.P all 9/11 victims my thoughts are with their family’s and all those that was affected by this tragic accident!”
“I ain’t going to say attack don’t let the media make u believe that was terrorist that did it. #OTIS.”

BBC

Liverpool are investigating striker Nathan Eccleston for comments on Twitter that suggested the 11 September attacks were not the work of terrorists.

A tweet that has since been taken down said: “I ain’t going to say attack don’t let the media make u believe that was terrorist that did it. #OTIS.”

OTIS reportedly stands for Only the Illuminati Succeed.

The 20-year-old has made nine first-team appearances for Liverpool.

A club statement said: “The club takes this matter extremely seriously and senior club officials have informed Nathan Eccleston that we are undertaking an investigation into the circumstances surrounding these postings and will decide on an appropriate course of action.”

Eccleston, who has over 39,000 followers on the social-networking site, has since tweeted: “If you don’t like what I have to say un follow me!! Some things get took way out of context…”

The Manchester-born striker has spent time on loan at Huddersfield Town and Charlton Athletic, and has played for the England Under-17 team.

Eccleston’s injudicious tweet is far from being the first time a professional sportsman has got into trouble through their use of social media – earlier this year former Liverpool player Ryan Babel was disciplined for tweeting an image that implied refereeing bias.

In another example, England cricketer Tim Bresnan rowed with a follower in 2009.

And according to a social media expert, clubs will have to bring in more stringent frameworks to cover players’ use of Twitter and similar sites.

“Clubs need to behave like brands and put proper governance in place to dictate how the players – their employees – behave,” Simon Rutherford, managing director of Cubaka:Social told BBC Sport.

“The club has a reputation to protect and in this case, with American owners, there needs to be an understanding of what you can and cannot say. The player’s bio says that he is a footballer for Liverpool so that is why he gets so many followers, He therefore has a duty towards them in what he says.

“Players need to realise just how damaging a tweet can be, even if they hit the delete button, as he did in this case, someone will have a screenshot and it will be all over the internet. Clubs already give their players media training and increasingly we’ll see that include use of social media.”

And of the potential for clubs to ban players from using Twitter, Rutherford added: “That would be an extreme form of governance and if a club decided that the best way to protect its brand was to stop tweets then they could impose it.

“However [they would be better served] trying to embrace the medium and using it to get their message across.”

Freedom of speech?Obviously you can't have it when your'e blaming Illuminati and a rich American corporation owns your club Laughing
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Nathan Eccleston inder investigation for implying 9/11 was an inside job Empty Re: Nathan Eccleston inder investigation for implying 9/11 was an inside job

Post by Sushi Master Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:01 pm

People who believe it was an inside job are total idiots, but yeah, freedom of speech.

There are plenty of Americans who say the same shit, yet no one cares.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Nathan Eccleston inder investigation for implying 9/11 was an inside job Empty Re: Nathan Eccleston inder investigation for implying 9/11 was an inside job

Post by Swanhends Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Do they have Freedom of Speech in Britain?

I mean obviously they have some level of a right to speech but...I don't think its the same level as we have here

Regardless, this is employer/employee relationship, not citizen/government...so free speech doesn't really apply
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:11 pm

No place in earth has perfect freedom of speech.

For example, the freedom to lie is very constricted (mostly politicians are allowed) and for good reasons. Having total freedom without boundaries is asking for trouble.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Free country. You can say what you want.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:12 pm

bhends wrote:Do they have Freedom of Speech in Britain?

I mean obviously they have some level of a right to speech but...I don't think its the same level as we have here

Regardless, this is employer/employee relationship, not citizen/government...so free speech doesn't really apply

From what I know,freedom of speech is guaranteed in Britain.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't know how to make of this. I'm all for freedom of speech but I find they should really charge these crack pot conspiracy theorists for wasting air time or something.

Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:13 pm

EarlyPrototype wrote:Free country. You can say what you want.

Employers also have the right to fire you for saying what you want..
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:14 pm

bhends wrote:

How is that? scratch How does 9/11 concern a football club?On what basis can he fire him?
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:15 pm

bhends wrote:

Sure they can. Doesn't mean your not allowed to say it.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:16 pm

VibeTribe wrote:
bhends wrote:

How is that? scratch How does 9/11 concern a football club?On what basis can he fire him?

I am guessing because he is a Liverpool player and he is giving the club a bad name.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:17 pm

I'd release him for being a Manc, but hey. That's just me. :facepalm:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:18 pm

EarlyPrototype wrote:
VibeTribe wrote:
bhends wrote:

I am guessing because he is a Liverpool player and he is giving the club a bad name.

But he's speaking on his own free time,not in a Liverpool jersey.Wouldn't that be discrimination or something?Someone make this clear,I don't understand these things too well.

Bhends shed some light here,you seem to be familiar with this...
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:20 pm

I dunno about football but recently an English Cricketer was banned from twitter and fined too for making out of the line remarks on a certain issue..
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:21 pm

He is not in trouble in terms of law. So the police or anything like that can't do anything.

Liverpool are a world wide club and they don't want people like that representing there club. Damages their reputation. The most they can do is fine him tbh and make sure it doesn't happen again.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by che Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Doc wrote:I don't know how to make of this. I'm all for freedom of speech but I find they should really charge these crack pot conspiracy theorists for wasting air time or something.

this

stupidity should be illegal
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:28 pm

As a player for a football club, you are part of that clubs brand. You do not have the regular freedom normal humans have, just like actors (Mel Gibson is not being hired by any major studio in order not to affect their relationships).

You pay that price as a celebrity. You become a brand. What will happen to Coca Cola if their Soda cans suddenly spouted anti-humanity theories. Players are soda cans that can speak.

Simply put, the contract asks fir professional conduct on/off the pitch. Which is why Balotelli keeps getting fined for his antics. According to sports law, these antics can break a contract.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:37 pm

che wrote:
Doc wrote:I don't know how to make of this. I'm all for freedom of speech but I find they should really charge these crack pot conspiracy theorists for wasting air time or something.

this

stupidity should be illegal

Some people are born stupid. Razz
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:38 pm

VibeTribe wrote:
EarlyPrototype wrote:
VibeTribe wrote:
bhends wrote:

But he's speaking on his own free time,not in a Liverpool jersey.Wouldn't that be discrimination or something?Someone make this clear,I don't understand these things too well.

Bhends shed some light here,you seem to be familiar with this...

I can only speak for the U.S really, but Freedom of Speech describes a citizens ability to say whatever they want without fear of retribution etc from the government

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

i.e The GOVERNMENT can't restrict a citizens ability to say whatever the f*ck they want...

But employers don't have to abide by this consequence-free protection of speech that the government does, because employment (again, in the United States at least) is all considered to be "at-will" - its a doctrine of American Law

"any hiring is presumed to be "at will"; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals "for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all," and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work."

This applies to all employment in the U.S as long as there was no express contract for a definite period of time and that the employer doesn't participate in collective bargaining...

TL;DR : Freedom of speech protects you from the government...you may very well still face consequences in other areas of your life
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:49 pm

well this thing is sort of an opinion, or his belief. He doen't take it to the extreme. Its not like he said, "I practice sex with dead animals." His statement is supported and is very popular, you can't deny his right to say it just because your boss doesn't believe in it.

KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:50 pm

He's a manc. He has no rights.

Alright, I'll stop. bounce
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:12 pm

KMD wrote:well this thing is sort of an opinion, or his belief. He doen't take it to the extreme. Its not like he said, "I practice sex with dead animals." His statement is supported and is very popular, you can't deny his right to say it just because your boss doesn't believe in it.

No-one's stopping him saying it, but then no-one is stopping the club from fining him every time he does say it.

He is a Liverpool player and when in public he represents the club, whether he's in club apparel or not. Similarly, if a person working for a corporation were to make a twitter post that contained racist remarks the company could fine or fire them for that.

Finally, the opinion expressed in his tweet is NOT "very popular" at all. It just has a very vocal support.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Have Liverpool fired him?Unless i am mistaken they launched an inquiry and even that was a old news.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down