Sushi Master
TheRedStag
MacPhisto/MirrorBallMan
Superpeppe
Brigate Rossonere
Grande_Milano
13 posters

Go down

Would you put Paolo Maldini and George Best into Top 20 Players Of All Time Empty Would you put Paolo Maldini and George Best into Top 20 Players Of All Time

Post by Grande_Milano Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:32 am

Are they good enough, or are there any other players that deserve to be put ahead?

For me, the only defender that was ahead of Paolo, is Beckenbauer.

The only winger that was better than Best is Garrincha (but thats according to people who ve seen them ofcourse).

Last edited by Grande_Milano on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grande_Milano
Grande_Milano
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Would you put Paolo Maldini and George Best into Top 20 Players Of All Time Empty Re: Would you put Paolo Maldini and George Best into Top 20 Players Of All Time

Post by Brigate Rossonere Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:44 am

I, personally, rate Baresi as a better defender than Maldini, not that it matters. They are both easily in the top 20 of all time.
Brigate Rossonere
Brigate Rossonere
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Napoli

http://acmilan.com

Back to top Go down

Would you put Paolo Maldini and George Best into Top 20 Players Of All Time Empty Re: Would you put Paolo Maldini and George Best into Top 20 Players Of All Time

Post by Superpeppe Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Maldini IS the one of the top 5!!!!
If milan didn't lose that stupid final that I can't remove from my memory, where he scored the first goal he would've won the golden ball.

Superpeppe
Superpeppe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Superpeppe Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:45 pm

and to add to my comment he was an example in and out of the pitch!!
Superpeppe
Superpeppe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MacPhisto/MirrorBallMan Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:58 am

Brigate Rossonere wrote:I, personally, rate Baresi as a better defender than Maldini, not that it matters. They are both easily in the top 20 of all time.

I highly rate Maldini as, well, a phenomenon really.

But I rate Scirea higher than Baresi, and if some rate Baresi higher than Maldini then there's a bit of doubt in my mind but it's a good problem.
MacPhisto/MirrorBallMan
MacPhisto/MirrorBallMan
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Maldini would be any top 20 for sure. Best however wouldn't make my top 20.

At the end of the day there have been far more famous attackers than legendary defenders down through the years. Maldini is surely one of the GOAT imo.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:09 pm

With my eyes closed. The man is pure class on and off the pitch.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by totaalvoetbal Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Top 20 defenders... Hell yes!

Top 20 players... no
totaalvoetbal
totaalvoetbal
Prospect
Prospect

http://goingusa.waarbenjij.nu

Back to top Go down

Post by Busby Babe Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:32 pm

If he is not good enough to be in the top 20, then I don't know who is...
Busby Babe
Busby Babe
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Superpeppe Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:39 pm

he is a great person, never dirty play.
his kids will hopefully play as well as he did so the number 3 can be reused
Superpeppe
Superpeppe
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:01 pm

you crazy if you think this is a question, not best though
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Scriea, nuff said. :coffee:

Back to top Go down

Post by pUsHa Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:24 pm

If Maldini isnt in top 20 , i dont know who is ... he had only one red card since 99 ...
pUsHa
pUsHa
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Madrid One Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:05 pm

maldini is top defender in history..
The Madrid One
The Madrid One
"Imaybeonthesideoftheangels..."

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Of course he is. He's a legend.

Nesta will be there too.

Add the likes of Cannavaro.

They will be placed with the legendary Baresi and Scriea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigate Rossonere Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:00 am

MacPhisto/MirrorBallMan wrote:
Brigate Rossonere wrote:I, personally, rate Baresi as a better defender than Maldini, not that it matters. They are both easily in the top 20 of all time.

I highly rate Maldini as, well, a phenomenon really.

But I rate Scirea higher than Baresi, and if some rate Baresi higher than Maldini then there's a bit of doubt in my mind but it's a good problem.

Scirea was Atalanta youth product, Maldini was Milan so in terms of club legendariness Maldini > Scirea. Same as Baresi.

But yeah I think that Maldini and Scirea can't be compared but just the same way as Baresi and Scirea can't be compared because they played in two different times. I never compare Messi and Maradona because it is just impracticle because of times difference etc.

However I would but all 3 in the top 30 players.

Top 5 defenders.

totaalvoetbal wrote:Top 20 defenders... Hell yes!

Top 20 players... no

So, great attackers > great defenders? Sigh
Brigate Rossonere
Brigate Rossonere
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Napoli

http://acmilan.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:49 am

Defenders are so underrated these days; a decent attacker costs as much as it would to buy Thiago Siva or Vidic.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by wigglesworth Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:21 am

If Maldini had been on the 2006 World Cup winning team, there would be no question as to his being at the top with Beckenbauer.

I really wonder why he wasn't on the 2006 team, he was still quite good then.
wigglesworth
wigglesworth
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:28 am

wigglesworth wrote:If Maldini had been on the 2006 World Cup winning team, there would be no question as to his being at the top with Beckenbauer.

I really wonder why he wasn't on the 2006 team, he was still quite good then.

He was internationally retired at that time. Shame that he didn't manage to win a single title with Italy. His and a one legged Baresi's superb defending in the 1994 World Cup Final was one of the best defensive displays ever. And also on Euro 2000, Maldini, Cannavaro and Nesta was almost unbreakable.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down