Babun
Great Leader Sprucenuce
BarrileteCosmico
Chad
Lord Spencer
17 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official SNES Gaming Thread

Post by Lord Spencer Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:50 am

OK I finished X-Men:

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 XMen_MutantApocalypsefrontcover

Here is my final call on the game. I would go into a special from 50 score based on five criteria.

The Fun Factor: how fun is the game really, amount of enjoyment.

X-Men was really fun. And the fact that you have five playable characters each with a different style and move-set is really cool.

The combat was responsive. Although by playing in a keyboard I did not get the maximum out of the game's fluidity. All the first five levels were cool, but those were 70% of the game. Seriously, I finished the game in five hours.

Fun journey, but ultimately short.

Score: 7

Challenge: the difficulty of the game and the fairness of that difficulty

The difficulty of X-Men is a lie. Capcom just made the game more difficult by making you repeat the whole level if you died. Which just annoying and tedious. Which is why I used the emulator's own saving system to avoid that problem.

After a couple losses, you get the hang of it and have no problems. If I did not have the save feature though, this would have been a deceptively long game.

But if you play using a keyboard, then it is necessary to use that function because the keyboard sometimes screw you over.
Score: 5

Style:

You would think that an X-Men game would have more style into it. This game obviously does not. From the generic brawlers you defeat to the uninspiring bosses you battle. You would think Capcom can tap into a really deep storage of villains, but you end up fighting robots over and over again.

The fact that you however have five characters to play with makes the game play different with each, which saves this game in this department.

Playability: I am awfully used to Call of Duty, can I really play this game?

The cartoon graphics are nice and do their job perfectly. Other than cyclops, the heroes look and move great. The game moves perfectly and there will bo no slowdowns.

The music is meh, but it will not make your ears bleed.

Controls are where this game is great. Even when you are playing with a keyboard, the controls are responsive, and the only thing that will deter you is using the special moves, which are a bother to do in the keyboard.

You can literally pick this game up and get used to it in 20 minutes.

Score: 8

Lord Spencer's Score:
Five hours of fun, but I would have liked it more if it was more challenging instead of relying on the cheap you start over trick. Gambit makes this game excellent for me.

Score: 6

Overall: 7/5/5//8/6: 31/50

If it was shorter, more challenging, and had better bosses. This game would have a 40. But Capcom wanted to sell with minimum cost, so we get this good game instead of a great game.

Tips on the game: (don't look If you don't want any spoilers)
Spoiler:

Well that was it for X-Men, now I will go and play #77 Shadowrun, an RPG game. Let's hope those sevens turn out to be lucky.

Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official SNES Gaming Thread

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:51 am

Lord Spencers Reviews>>>>>>IGN's Reviews :bow:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:45 am

I bow down to your greatness, my Liege.

Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:38 pm

Thank you guys for the encouraging words. I am now at the final stretch of Shadowrunner, which is a very enjoyable RPG.

Fun facts about the game, it apparently was an inspiration to the writer of the Matrix Trilogy. Anyway, great game so far. Expect to finish it in a day or two.

Here is 5 reasons if applied to you then you should play it:
1- You like RPG.
2- You like the MAtrix.
3- You like Neo Steam-Punk settings.
4- You like a good game.
5- You want to join me in this epic SNES gaming Odyssey.

This game is a RPG classics, it served to influence the genre in many ways (a direct influence to Fallout).
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:41 pm

Sweet reviews.

I can just download these games because I have a SNES Emulator. PC Gaming Master Race :bow:
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:39 am

Yes you can, just look for them in emulparadise. They are all there.

If you find any difficulties in searching for the games, I will provide the links.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:41 am

Thanks bro but I can manage Very Happy

Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:20 am

Ok guys, finished Shadowrun, and what run it was; here goes the review:

Game: Shadowrun.
Year: 1993.
Genre: Action RPG.
Publisher: Data East.
Developer: Beam Software:

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 Snes-shadowrun-box-front

Since this game is deeper than the last two games, I would first go into general information about the gameplay and plot, as well as an analysis of the impact of the game.

Here goes;

General View:

Shadowrun is an action RPG. However, it takes place not in a fantasy setting of Celtic lore, or the usual JRPG universes. It is basically one of the first games that abandon the standard RPG universe for a dark steam-punk Neo Seatle. Yes, the game takes place in the alleyways of crime ridden Seatle.

Right from the start, you get that this games is different from any that preceded it. You delve into a in intriguing plot from the standpoint of a dead character (who survived a shot to the head). It is a game that inspired RPG creators to aspire beyond the tradition and look for ways to expand the genre.

Gameplay:

There are four branches in the game, exploration, combat, customization, and hacking.

First, exploration is basically moving from screen to screen, looking for the next goal, and interacting with NPC's and the environment. In interacting with the environment, you hold down the A button (or B depending on the version) to get a hand on screen that acts like a cursor, as you move the hand on the environment, anything of interest produces a green label in which then you get close to and examine and/or pick up. Few things in the game are not needed for you to either examine or pick up, therefore a keen eye is needed to pick up all the labels. Most off the time, the things you need to look at are obvious, but sometimes they are not.

Interacting with NPC's is where this game is very different from other RPG's. You get a chance to talk to the NPC's and ask them about "key words" you get from other NPC's. Basically, you are like detective who jumps from place to place to pick up clues on where to go. Hence, knowing your exact goal needs patience as well as common sense. The Doctor would know about curing your head injury, but he would not know about the guys who wanted to kill you.

Second, combat is a matter of hitting the B buttoon, aiming the cursor at the bad guys and then bashing the B button until they are dead. You can also hit the X button to use magic in the same way. I foun that the basic tool of survival is being well upgraded, and well experienced. Some situations though require some strategy, and death is certain until this strategy is discovered by you, which is immensely satisfying.

Third, customization. You get Karma points from killing a number of bad guys, which you then use to improve your different attributes. You also get money which you then use to buy upgrades. The karma point system might sound impressive, but on actual use, it is very basic. While money will be drained on buying the latest upgrades, without which you have no chance on beating the game.

Fourth, hacking. You got that right, in this neo world, you get the ability to hack computer to open doors, get secret information, and steel money. while you are hacking an entirely different gameplay mechanic is employed. You walk around as a sprite inside the circuits in a mines-like game. You get updates on the statues of the Anti-Virus (IC's) near you as you move in to try and avoid them, or destroy what is in your path. Hacking provides a different feel to the game and is defiantly a plus.

Shadowrunners:

There are a number of shadowrunners in the game who you can employ to help as mercenaries. This function requires you to micro manage your party very well to get the maximum out of it, but is a costly endeavor since a lot of money and Karma needs to get into this business for you to reap the rewards.

Well, that was a basic explanation of the game, here is what I thought of it;

The Fun Factor: how fun is the game really, amount of enjoyment.

I really enjoyed my time in Shadowrun, the whole story was good. The gameplay was shallow but some intense moments made me utilize my full critical thinking. Exploring neo-Seattle was cool at the beggening despite feeling limited at the end. Shadowrunners provided a fun experiment although I quickly discovered they are useless to my playing style.

Ultimately, Shadowrun never rises above the 'good' label. And while it was exciting and cool at the beginning, t was not so near the end where I would easily blast into everything I saw.

Challenge: the difficulty of the game and the fairness of that difficulty

This is a game of two halves, the first off which I treed carefully, afraid of every stray bullet, and afraid of every troll.
it was a tense feeling, waiting for a barrage of enemy fire to end me. It was also really cool. I felt a sense of satisfaction at winning a difficult battle, a sense of triumph after finishing a practically difficult stage.

The late second half however, when you are upgraded enough to destroy every moving thing in Seattle is like a training practice. I now get the feeling of Chelsea when they played against Wigan. I felt it was unfair to the enemy.

Despite my late terminator statues, the early feeling of stress and alert gives this game a:

Style:

Everything from the setting, to the grumpy "busy business man" walking in the street, and the different locations gives this game a unique setting among its peers. Despite the small budget of its developing company, Beam did their best at creating a plausible world.

They should have tried more with the music though, the SNES is home to some great music from Mario to Fnal Fantasy and Chrono Cross. Shadowrun simply recycles 7 different tracks and use them throughout the game. And only one of those tracks stand out. The sound effects are also horrible, as well as the dead sprites.

The sound effect of your last gun, which is called a cannon is the same sound effect of your first pistol. And every dead enemy looks the same when they are dead, even the giant Troll Decker who turns into a white human being. Those are two examples of inconstant design issues in the game.

All in all, an excellent setting is brought down by poor music, cardboard NPC's, weird sound effects, and generally bad design issues in the game. I understand the low budget cost, but some issues are just too silly to frak up

Score: 7 (the setting is that cool)

Playability: I am awfully used to Call of Duty, can I really play this game?

Although you will need an hour to get used to the slow cursor like control scheme, it will soon grow on you. However, the combat cursor's speed will get you killed a number of times before you earn your god-like strength. That however do not derive from the game's fluidity much.

The issue most will face with this game is its bad graphics, which are bad even for SNES standards. And the bad sound effects. After a while, the stupid combat music made me want to finish combat faster than usual, which is good I suppose.

Lord Spencer's Score:

The game has a lot of historical significance. It supposedly even influenced the Matrix trilogy. In fact, this game is one of the first game to abandon 90% of RPG's traditions and succeed. And being a western RPG, Shadowrun made it look possible that WRPG's compete with the at the time much stronger JRPG's. This game opened up the potenital of the RPG genre, which in turn led to games like Fallout. In fact, you can see the similiarities between the first Fallout and this game

For that, this game deserves an:

Overall: 5/7/7//5/8: 32/50

I swear I am not doing this on purpose, but so far, my rating are agreeing with IGN's list.

Anyways, that was everything I had to say about this awesome game. A force run that uses all the known glitches makes this game shortish. I would suggest that RPG fanatics pick up this game, even if only for experiencing a game that changed gaming.

Tips on the game: (don't look If you don't want any spoilers/no tip will spoil the plot of the game though)

Spoiler:

Well, that is it for my first RPG in this gaming run. The next game would be a Zelda like game by Enix.

#76, Soul Blazer. Hope it is half as good as Zelda.

Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:11 am

Soul Blazer is proving to be an exciting game.

Music is top notch, and the gameplay is solid enough. But the progress and the enfolding mature of the game are very exciting.

As you progress, you free villagers and animals from the dark world, which cause them to recreate their village, and henceforth help you progress further.

The first boss battle was hard, although it became repetitive due to the boss'' lack of attacks.

Anyway, this looks to have the potential of being a true gym.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:02 am

Ok guys, finally done with Soul Blazer and it was fun:

Game: Soul Blazer.
Year: 1992.
Genre: Action RPG (I guess).
Publisher: Enix.
Developer: Quintet.

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 1018504

This game can be described in one sentence; swipe, swipe, swipe ,swipe, swipe, echo. Done. Really, you walk around as this stereotypical hero and defeat hordes upon hordes of monsters using one attack button, and a rare push of the magic button.

Sound boring, it is not, it is really not.

You are an angel sent by “The Master” (who is God) to the dead world killed by Deathtoll. And here is where the fun is. First you come into a desolate world devoid of life. However, as you defeat the hordes of monster you release the souls taken prisoners by the monsters and you see life grown in front of your eyes as you progress.

This is the basic principle of Soul Blazer, but how it fares against my criteria:

The Fun Factor:

Swipe, swipe, swipe ,echo. Push base, release prisoner, watch the scene where life is seemingly created. Do it again a 1o more times, visit the town and see what life can help you with. Swipe, swipe, swipe, echo. Do it again.

This might sound repetitive and boring but it gets addictive, SERIOUSLY addictive. The sense of progress as the towns grow in front of your eyes is priceless. And even though you will feel tiered after a couple more swipe fest, you will refreshed every time something interesting is released.

Also, the numerous items you get are cool to have, and even though most of them are pointless after using them first, it is still cool collecting them. It gives you a sense of having done stuff, even though what you mostly do is push the B button like lunatic.

And when you can’t take it anymore with all the swiping, enters the epic boss fight which will test your swiping abilities to the max.

Score: 9

Challenge:

This game is easy, it is supposed to be a dungeon crawler but is not challenging enough to qualify for that distinction. Swiping never gets challenging, and the enemies are never too much to deal with, bar some rare moments. Also, the game never punishes you for your death, only taking away your Gems (which are only used to cast useless magic) which can be recouped easily.

In fact, if it were not for the boss battles, I would give this game a 1, but the bosses really gave me a fight. So much that two of the bosses I managed to defeat with only two or one hits left for me to die. Those fights will satisfy most layers as they are difficult but not unfair. Although two bosses were tedious and boring after a while as the fight dragged on but they showed their lack of attacks.

The end boss was easy so the game gets blasted for that as well, Dethtoll was such a tool (get it, toll, tool, no, ok).

Score: 4

Style:

Although not a fan off the visual presentation of the game, it was solid. However, the music was simply outstanding as it pumped to combat, or made me enjoy strolling around town (although the town theme got old eventually). Seriously, that such music was created in 1992 game is amazing. I have great appreciation for music, and great respect for game music. This game deserves both from me.

On the mechanic of life the game provides, as mentioned, the effect of progress is hugely satisfying, and seeing houses and plants grow in front of you is cool. And your own sense of the redeveloping town is refreshing. However, outside from that, you feel the game poorly relates to what is happening. Villagers seems curiously apathetic towards the lack of population in the village, and n one comments on the sudden resurgence of life. One NPC will tell you to do something, and will continue telling you to do the same thing centuries after doing it. That could have been easily addressed.

I feel a 7 does no credit to the score and the concept, but the fact that a previous game “ActRaiser” employed the same concept better makes even a 7 too much, but the theme of the underground lab makes me unable to do anything. GOD I LOVE THIS THEME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWC_6lYUoks&feature=related

Playability:

The graphics are pretty standard for the age, and although the sprites look outdated, nothing in the graphics interfere with the gameplay. The sound is s mentioned excellent. And there is nothing wrong with the gameplay. The question is whether you can enjoy an outdated Action RPG.

My answer to that is yes. This game can be enjoyed given you enjoy its kind of games, but if you are not easily addicted by such games, then the swiping will turn you off. But if you love these kinds of games, you will love this one, which can be finished in 15-20 hours.

Lorde Spencer’s Score:

I am quoting some random review I found in Gamefaq on the game. This game should not be fun, but it sure damn is. From the first moment you swipe, to the last moment you swipe, you are in an adventure of epic proportions where weirdly enough, the most time you spend in this journey you spend in swiping. And it is abnormally fun.

I doubt it would be as cool if not for the soundtrack and the interesting premise behind it. There is a sense of accomplishment in the release of life from the hordes of monsters you kill, and the music keeps you enjoying that accomplishment.

Having said that, putting this games against more innovative games like Zelda shames this game, and you have to wonder about the laziness of the staff in some aspect. My heart is not with this score, but my mind is sure is.

Overall: 9/4/7/6/6 32/50

This game was gets the same score as Shadowrun, which I think is fair. In my view the best game are the games that create challenging innovative world that is fun to be in. Those two games each took part of that.

I guess we will have too see down the list for those rare gems.

Tips on the game: (don’t look if you don’t want any spoilers)

Spoiler:
That is it for Soul Blazer.

Coming up is #74, Illusions of Gaia which is considered a sequel of Soul Blazer by many. Which will put it into a harsher test with me

Last edited by Lord Spencer on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Geez, man, I've never owned SNES but this thread makes me wanna try the emulator Very Happy
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Art, i recommend it, seriously. SNES was the daddy back in the day
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Immaculate_Mole wrote:Lord Spencers Reviews>>>>>>IGN's Reviews :bow:
But NOT AVGN's reviews, that guy is the boss of Youtube
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:26 am

Art Morte wrote:Geez, man, I've never owned SNES but this thread makes me wanna try the emulator Very Happy

The SNES is defiantly boss. Hopefully my reviews will give you an idea of what you are getting through.

I will also happily address any issue you ask about.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:13 am

Ok guys, finished Illusion of Gaia, a fun game that was:

Game: Illusion of Gai.
Year: 1994.
Publisher: Nintendo.

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 Illusionofgaia

This game is a spiritual sequel of Soul blazer, and is considered a part of an unofficial trilogy. However, this game despite having the same mechanics and style of Soul Blazer is quite different.

First off, the plot is given much more attention here. Second, the leveling up system is different. Third, combat is more than swiping. As Will (the protagonist) you have the ability to change form from three distinctive types. Each with its own combat style. ANd proceeding through the game’s dungeons. You will ned to interchange between the forms to progress.

Other than that, the game plays the same as Soul Blazer, but with more emphasis on combat and puzzles. Which works as a double edged sword. IoG is a more complex and more polished game, but it does not have the addictive charm of Soul Blazer.

Anyway, here is the review:

The Fun Factor:

Although the game does not look as repetitive as Soul Blazer, that is actually deceiving. No longer novel, the dungeon crawling son grows tedious, and with no sense of progress other than finishing the dungeon, combat is not as fulfilling as the Swipe-fest of Soul Blazer.

And needing to clear a room of monster in order to level up makes fighting a chore. However, the change between Will and his knight form makes up of a variety. And playing as the knight is much cooler than using Will.

In this game, the plot is what drives you forward, and while the interactions between the characters is ok. I felt there was little sense from the characters themselves. The only interesting thing about going forward was seeing new places, which IoG makes interesting. Since every town looks different, has a different history, and is strangely peculiar in a different way. Which makes the trip more memorable. It is sad that you will remember the towns far more than you will remember the supporting cast.

This game wanted to go a step over Soul Blazer and have a plot. However, the charm of Soul Blazer’s simplicity outdoes the average plot of IoG.

Less fun than Soul Blazer, but that game was really fun, so not a bad critique.

Challenge:

Here is where this game step it up. Dying costs you. For every monster you kill, you get dark Gems. And for every 100 you get a life. If you die, then you lose a life and redo the room with half your health (the monsters you killed are dead though). However, if you no longer have a life, you do the whole dungeon again. And although that never happened to me outside the first dungeon, the knowledge of it kept me tense.

Even though you get punished for dying, that never becomes a threat once you get a hang of the game. As recovery gates (dark gates) are strategically placed where you need them. ANd since the bad guys a re mainly wimps. There will be however a couple of places where your skills will be tested.

Late in the game, you will have the power to literally destroy everything in front of you as the knight. In which case controlling Will becomes more dangerous since you are used to kicking ass.

It is in the Bosses however that this game delivers. With a minimum number of herbs in the game, and even those not fulfilling enough. Bosses become a n absolute pain. I screamed gibberish at the screen many times a Boss.

When you defeat the hard ones, oh boy do you get a feeling of triumph. I understood the feelings of Inzaghi whenever he scores.

Also, one point for awesome final Boss who has an awesome theme and will wipe you with the floor if you are not herbaly prepared (get it, herbaly, as in having many herbs)

Style:

The graphics are logical improvement on Soul Blazer. However, the music was not. There were less memorable soundtracks than Soul Blazer, and some dungeon music never registered to me and I could not remember it.

There was nothing special the plot of the game was causing, no effects you make on the environment outside of the ending. And aside from a stylistic Babylonian theme, there was obviously some confusion from the director (boarding a plain on its wings, why the frak is this inventor not working for a king if invents freaking airplanes).

All in all, this was downturn from Soul Blazer, and if it were not from some interesting towns and backstories, I would have given this a lower score. But the towns, the knights awesome hair, and the final boss theme saves this game from a one.
Score: 4

Playability:

The improved graphics, solid gameplay, and existing plot will make this game playable for any RPG fan. However, gamers should not expect a classic here, but rather a solid experience.

Lord Spencer’s Score:

Exchanging forms was really cool, and I wish they had more forms, and a more fluid transformation method.

This game is better than Soul Blazer despite the issues I mentioned. The thing about Soul Blazer is that its simplicity is never aging, while IoG’s improvements have long been outdone by other RPG’s. However, if I take the game in its own context, I see an unpolished gym.

A bummer that what could have been a classic was not potentially realized.
Still a milestone though, not a significant one though.

Overall: 6/8/4/7/7 32/50

Another game that gets a 32. Usually, sequels are more harshly critiqued than the originals, And for a sequel to get the same score as the original is not bad.

Spoiler:
Ended the second of the Trilogy

Although Terranigma is not in the IGN list, it is considered the final of this “creation” trilogy, and as such will feel bad on not playing it.

Also, it has a very good reputation, and IGN might have just forgot about it.

So that is what I will be playing.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:35 am

Damn! How much time do you spend playing? Laughing

Not that it's a bad thing.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:48 am

NES > SNES

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:58 pm

Lord Hispano wrote:Damn! How much time do you spend playing? Laughing

Not that it's a bad thing.

It doesn't take much really, 1-3 hours a day whenever I have free time is enough to finish most games in a week.

The game I am playing now requires some level grinding hence the delay in the review.

@Crimson, the Nes had some really good games, but the legendary value of the SNES games is unparalleled.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Finally finished Terranigma which takes about 20+ minutes to finish:

Game: Terranigma.
Year: 1996.
Publisher: Enix.

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 Terranigma-box

The third game in the Soul Blazer trilogy, and the only one absent from IGN’s countdown of the SNES greatest games. However, its absence is not due to shortcoming in the game itself but rather the unfortunate fact that is was never released in U.S. soil.

The IGN countdown only included games that were released in the U.S. and hence are short of absolute gems like Terranigma here. And that is what this game is, a gem. It symbolizes the perfection of the trilogy into a single game.

Anyway, here is the review:

The Fun Factor:

Adding jumping into combat may not sound to be that effective, but it is what saved this game from the mundane combat that Will was in IoG. Not to mention the amazing music, which made being lost a fun experience rather than a chore.

Not as addictive or simplistically fun as Soul Blazer, but with a better plot and more reason to go forward than IoG. Although both suffer from the poor interaction between the main characters, both also have a very interesting NPC world. Also, this time around, only the main character Arc and his pet “thing” are boring, as the supporting cast are all cool, even if being cliche.

Like Soul Blazer, the development in the game world as you progress is deeply satisfying, and even as the plot tries to accomplish much and falls short, the sum of it all outweighs the disadvantage of the plot.

If this was not a 1996 game, I would give it a 10, but they did have the resources to get a better transelation which is where I believe most of the plot was lost.

Challenge:

A let down after the tense experience of IoG, but largely due to the leveling up system and the ability to change equipment.

Simply put, if you are under leveled the game would be hell, if you are just at the right level the game would be fair, and if you are over leveled the game would be a breeze.

According to the leveling algorithm, the rise in your strength is nearly exponential which makes every point count. Therefore, if you feel any difficulty in any place, grind your way to another level or two and that dungeon would become manageable.

Having rings and pins as your magic makes the whole experience easier, even if you can’t use those in most bosses. The bosses themselves being mostly weak and not difficult at all.

However, I feel that in 1996, the era of gaming challenges came into a halt, and games no longer strived to become a challenge to the players. Terranigma and the easy FF6 both are signs of this trend happening in the RPG world.

And as such I will not give this game the score relative to other games in the SNES, but games in future generations.

Style:

The graphical style is an obvious improvement over IoG, and the difference between the different locations in the game is believable. However, where the game truly delivers is the music which is absolutely majestic. From the intro music, to the different dungeon themes and the theme of the over-world. The music made everything in the game twice as fun.

Also, the theme or resurrecting the world is very effective. As the world blossoms from a desolate wasteland to a grey metropolis you feel Arc’s journey is causing tangible things to happen. This coupled with the interesting NPC dialog makes the Terranigma earth a very believable place.

Finally, the game resorts to cliche’s very effectively. I am not an enemy of well used cliche’s and I really like them when they are not overly abused. Terranigma has just the right amount.

Score: 9

Playability:

A classic game.

Score: 10

Lord Spencer’s Score:

Quentit must have realized that this game is a classic when they released it, and it sure is. An absolute Gem is what this game is, from the music, to the style of the game-verse, to the not so bad plot.

I felt this game had more potential to it, but I will not blame Quentit for it, but rather the gaming industry itself. As far as the game itself, it s a great game, and fitting end to the not so related trilogy.

It stand head and shoulders above both SB and IoG, and is one of the best games the SNES ever gave us.

Score: 10

Overall: 8/7/9/10/10 44/50

The first game that goes breaks into the classic zone, I don’t think we will see any games here for a while now.

Spoiler:
Ends the Trilogy

It is very suitable that after finishing the “creation” trilogy, that I would go and play the firs ever “God” game Populous, which sits at #70 in the IGN countdown.

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:25 pm

On another note, Populous is a huge game that requires the original manual to be played effectively.

I would hence jump to another game:

Out of this World which stands at #69.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:05 am

Found this little gem whilst rummaging through my box of 90's memorabilia earlier today

Must.............buy..............SNES........

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 Imag0211
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:33 am

Crimson wrote:NES > SNES

This is starting to get scary. I feel the same way, but that's just because I have more memories playing NES. I'm sure you have a better idea of which system offered more in general, but I just can't forget all those NES memories. I actually credit NES and "Super Mario Bros" for making me the excellent gamer I am today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:48 am

Can’t believe I managed to finish this game, it was extremely difficult:

Game: Out of this World.
Year: 1992.
Genre: PoP-like Platformer.
Publisher: U.S. Gold.
Developer: Eric Chahi.

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 Out%2Bof%2BThis%2BWorld%2B%2528USA%2529_snes

I can’t figure out who is more unfortunate, the physicist Lester Knight who gets teleported from his very comfortable life to a hostile alien world, or the gamer who gets hooked up to this extremely difficult game.

My sympathies would without a doubt go to the unfortunate gamer who finds himself attached to this sadistic game. Of course, the gamers who indeed get attached to this death-fest are already accomplished masochist gamers, whose persistence this game rewards.

MAJOR TIIP: use the emulator’s built in Save/Load function to save yourself alot of time.

If you are turned off by extreme challenge, treat this review as a humor piece, if not then you will not need this review to convince you of the pains OotW provides.

Regardless, here is the review;

The Fun Factor:

This game is not fun, by any stretch of the imagination. Unless you are into the common cold, or haven and enema, you will not enjoy the game. As even the admittedly cool parts will not grab your attention because you will be tensely waiting for each jump, trying to kill each alien, and otherwise focusing on holding on to your dear 1124018th life.

What supposed “fun” you get from this game is the extreme sense of accomplishment when passing a difficult sequence. And even then, your short live euphoria will immediately disappear as you listen to the death music for the 284750th time.

This game can be cleared in 20+ minutes, but the amount of trial/error will keep you away from the finishing line for hours. If you don’t use the Save/Load function of the emulator, you will see yourself repeating the same screen 4750287 times. Which will make this game longer than it should be. As the controls are clunky, and hence you will often make mistakes in your keyboard.

However, the sheer sense of satisfaction, coupled with tension at the end screen is unparalleled. Satisfaction at finally beating the game, and tension that it might not be over.
Regardless, the only people who will enjoy this game are the masochist of the gaming world, and they will enjoy a lot. Yet, normal people will not enjoy this game at all. So it averages to:

Challenge:

This game defines challenge to a new level. It includes dying 7027520 times, cursing 4872099^380 times, and the possibility of crying a lot.

This is most definitely the hardest game I ever played, and it is a fair game if you use the save.load function. It requires abnormal reaction speed, a good amount of creative thinking, a dash of luck, and a hell lot of patience.

This is not a game for the faint of heart, so casual gamers should leave immediately. This game will test you, will bash you, will kill you, would steal your joy, and would let you reach the ending line just for an untimely laser blast to kill you as you are about to do a victory shout.

It took me 3+ hours and 174 deaths to finish this game using the Save/Load function, and would imagine that number to be multiplied without that. Never have I felt so helpless in a video game, where the controls and the game both conspired to make the game a living hell for me.

Score: 12 (yes 12, do you have a problem with that)

Style:

From the beginning of the title screen, to the snippet we get from Lester’s diary. We understand this is a special game ins a special place.

You get teleported to a dangerous world, and from the start you struggle to survive. Any mistake will cost you your life. The graphics make you feel that way, the music, and the atmosphere.

Then you are imprisoned with an alien that will share the reminder of the journey with. You need to survive, and you know the alien needs to survive as well because you need him, and he needs you. More could have been done to explore this last bit, and as such that was lacking.

The style of the game looks like something out of Sci-fi novel, and it does not disappoint, even if the graphics don’t even come close to exploring the capabilities of the SNES reminding us of the weakness of American developers back in the day.

Playability:

The graphics are very very bad, to the extent that I at first did not want to play the game. This game did not age well graphic wise, and although the experience is great, you feel the graphics made it not much so.

Another area where this game is aged and clunky is the controls, which are unresponsive at times, and simply ridiculous at others. The SNES had 4 buttons, it would have made sense that the running button be different than the shooting one.

Out of my 174 deaths, half were due to unresponsive controls, which if were not for the Save/Load function I would have dropped the game for.

Score: 1

Lord Spencer’s Score:

This is definitely and experience, and is a must for gaming masochists.

Although, to be honest, this game had more ideas, cinematic sequences, challenge, fun, and actual heart put into it that a lot of games today. The lack of budget and the inexperience of the developer stopped this game from being a classic, but it is a game with balls.

Something that is lacking from a lot of todays games, and Arsenal.

Overall: 5/12/7/1/7 32/50

Another 32 entry, which is good for a game that aged so badly.

Tips on the game:

Spoiler:

That is that for the Out of this World death-fest.

I would play Mega Man X3, but as I would be very biased towards them, and since they all were released in a collection edition on the PS2, I would refrain from doing a review, but here is an idea of the score I will give.
50/50

Therefore, I will jump over MMX3 and go to the extremely lovable Lion King inspired game, aptly name The Lion King; which sits at #66 in the IGN list.

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:37 am

Can't wait till you get to Earthbound. Very Happy
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:54 am

Lord Hispano wrote:Can't wait till you get to Earthbound. Very Happy

That would be approximately 24+ games away.

I never played it before, so I am very excited about it too. Hope it does not disappoint me.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:40 am

The Lion King, what wonderful memories this game brought back to me:

Game: The Lion King.
Year: 1994.
Genre: Platformer.
Publisher: Virgin Interactive.
Developer: Virgin Interactive.

The Official SNES Gaming Thread - Page 2 588444_40272_front

I played this game first as a kid, but could never finish it thanks to the difficulty of the game, even on the easy setting. Finally after al those years, I managed to finish this absolutely lovely game. 16 years it tool me, but boy, this is why I started this thread. Re-experiencing my childhood in all its splendor.

From the first moment when the title starts with the african music to the last moment where you battle it out with Scar does this game delivers on al levels. It truly deserves to be mentioned among not only the greatest Disney platformers, but among the greatest third party platformers (which means not in Mario and Crash level).

Without further delay, the review:

The Fun Factor:

By itself, the gameplay is nothing innovative or particularly engaging. You get to control Simba and you have a health bar. Don’t fall into the abyss, and don’t get damaged a lot by the hyenas. Pick up power ups in hard to get locations, and eat bugs to recover lost health. There is also a roar function which is not used much.

However, as in most platformers, the level design is where the fun is. And the Lion King excels in that area. The level design is not exactly ground breaking, but the variety the game introduces is where it becomes fun. Every level has a different theme and style to it. One level is a surreal cross over animal heads, another is running from a stampede. Some levels are similar, but each level has something unique to it. Which is great.

Coupling that with Simba growing up, and hence a complete movement change, and you get a very varied gameplay. Just as running around with little Simba becomes tedious, you grow into adult Simba and start hacking through your enemies.

The nostalgia effect is really affecting me here, as the sounds and characters from the Lion King play as I run from ledge to ledge. The gameplay never gets tedious, as every jump has its purpose, and there are no filler stages. The game progresses through the movie storyline.

Doing all of this in the colorful and lovely Lion King world makes it more fun. However, at the end of the day this is not a game designed to be a full game. The lack of a saving function is proof enough. With 10 levels, the developers did not push the limit of what they can do with the gameplay, and in the end it comes out as another movie-based game. Even if it is a fun one at that.

However, I would rather they make a solid short game, than a game filled with mediocre filler levels.

Challenge:

Hakuna Matata this is not. You will have plenty of worries, especially as your number of lives get hacked away by the brutal pitfalls into a bottomless doom. In fact, while the first level is very easy, from the second level you get that the game will punish your wrong inputs, and that the game will demand remarkable reflexes.

This is not a cheap way to lengthen the game though, although the lack of saving is sure is. The gameplay is truly challenging, but is fair. Even if it takes the concept of fairness to borderline evil.

In fact, the game seems to have been designed by a hidden Scar admirer. As the Lion King seems hell bent on stopping you from reaching the evil uncle. One level where you get into a boat swimming in lava, and then bats (the worst enemies in the game) rush at you and will possibly knock you into a boiling death. As you see the land, noooo, the Scar loving designer laughs at you. Your boat goes under a ledge and you need to speed to the other end to catch it. Of course, there are all manners of things to try and stop you. After another boast sequence with bats, as you think you survived, you stumble unknowingly into the path of a boulder that had not indication of being there and you die.

There are plenty of surprises like these in the game, and they would not make you scream in fury, but they would keep you in your toes. I would recommend the easy settings to all non-hardcore gamers.

Style:

This is a game that is based on the Lion King. Naturally, the graphic design and music would be inspired from the movie. And credit to Virgin Interactive for transforming the movie well into the SNES. The tracks are all transitioned nicely, and each level mimics its inspiration very well.

There was not much effort from Virgin there, but the way they managed tom make every level have a unique feel to it did. And they should be applauded for that. The creative force of the development team shone mostly in the final stage, where they created the music for, and had an intense experience fitting the battle with Scar. (even though the battle itself is underwhelming)

It is very difficult to transform the strength of the movie into the game, and kudos to Virgin for doing so effectively.

Playability:

If you are playing it in the SNES, this game would be unplayable due to the lack of time today, and the lack of any saving or password system in the game. However, since I am assuming most will be playing the game on an emulator, this will not be a problem.

However, playing it in an emulator would cause more plummets into the unknown than normal. And such more frustration from the gamer. Other than the obvious problem with keyboard controls, the graphics are solid, and the music is great.

The question would be, why would I play this game in a technical pov rather than other games. The answer would be because you already played all the other games. This is not a technical achievement, but is great for its sentimental value.

Lord Spencer’s Score:

After getting all the sentimentality out of my system, I am ready to say that this game is in the end a money grabbing scheme from Disney and Virgin. Which is what all movie-based games are.

No hard feelings for the Lion King over it, but challenge lengthening the gameplay mechanism became archaic long before 1994. And even though the challenge was not cheap, and the levels were great. The game never stands out of the the third party platformers genre.

Third party platformers were never great, and the Lion King stands at the top of the pile. Which makes it deserving of a spot in the list (above other third patty platformers like X-Men and Superman)

Overall: 7/8/8/6/75 35/50

An unexpected 35 for the Lion King, but it the point here is that it is a double situation.
If it was released as a short game and cheaper than the regular price, it would get a much higher score, but it did not and should get a lower score. If you average the situations 35 sounds fair. It is great game to play, and one you will remember a long time after. Yet, it is the movie that will be in your memory and not the game by itself.

Tips on the game:

Spoiler:

Now that we are don with the future king, I will go into another game.

This is going to be our first forced scrolling shooter, #65 R-Type 3.

Should be different.

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next