Red Alert
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Valerenga vs Liverpool - Page 2 Empty Re: Valerenga vs Liverpool

Post by nj Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:44 pm

7min to go: 2-2, at least

Agger MOTM by far.
Kuyt biggest flop, folowed very very closely by Glen (surely needs more game time after the injury)

Aqua on for only 5 min and he has already shown waaaaayyyyyyyy more than many others.
god it pisses me off highly that hes the one we want to ship off...

also great to see Sterling on, still a few min for him to try a little smtg, nothing to lose for him

nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 pm

now 2-3,
2nd goal by Agger Very Happy
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:51 pm

man, i love Jonjo...
what a long range shot, good save.
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:55 pm

the plan this whole pre-season looks like we had to concede 3 goals lol,
so its no surprises that they level by scoring a cracking goal

3-3

(new LB and CB are must btw)
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Not watching.How sharp was Carroll? Is he upto full fitness?
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Very average game. Valerenga had their pass and move game down well.

2nd to last pre-season game and most of our starting 11 seem like they need more time to gel together.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by nj Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:03 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:Not watching.How sharp was Carroll? Is he upto full fitness?
yeah he obviously looked sharper than 2 games ago.

but most of the times he was isolated (with our midfield not supporting him enough and playing too deep), so he spent most of his time pressuring the defender alone and wasting energy, and when the ball arived to him he couldnt hold on to it very well.

but he scored again so it will be good for his confidence, and hes getting sharper and sharper, so hopefully when the league begins he will continue to improve and become the dominant 9 we need.
he has to
nj
nj
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Player Ratings:

Reina - Could not do much for the first two goals. Could have done better for the third goal. Good distribution by him. 7

Johnson - Was very poor defensively and wasn't himself going forward. Probably down to the lack of match fitness. 4

Carra - Did ok, but wasn't great. Barely any hoofing which was good.6

Agger - Careless in the first half. Made up with a solid second half. Two goals from him as well. 7

Robinson - Got beaten by the guy he was marking for most of the game. A little more solid in the second half, but was not great going forward. 5

Spearing - Mostly invisible for the first half. Defended well in the second half. Average passing though throughout the game. 6

Adam - Some decent passes in the game, but would have liked to see some more of those killer passes. His distribution wasn't the best today and was hoping to see him control the midfield a little more. 6

Henderson - Started off well and became in invisible through the first half. Picked it up in the second and made some good runs. Defending was decent, as was his off the ball movement. 6.5

Downing - Probably our best player in the first half and performed just as well when moved to the left side in the second. When he moved out wide, he was good, but he was still cutting in too much. 7

Kuyt - A little slow to react today. Worked hard. Crosses were average and his passes seemed to be intercepted quite a bit. 6

Carroll - Can't blame him for the lack of goals on his end. Most balls were played up high and he wasn't great at holding the ball today. Seemed like he was chasing balls the entire first half. Got more involved in the second. 6.5

Subs

Kelly - Not much defending to do. Had a couple of terrible crosses. 5.5

Flanno - Defended decently, but didn't expect to be great going forward on the left. 5.5

Shelvey - Seems to be very careless. Missed a sitter. Should look around more to see the available options when going forward. 5.5

Sterling - Looks like a good prospect. Had one or two decent runs, but got caught in possession a couple times. 5

Ngog - Did not play for too long.

Aquilani - Was dictating play well. Is a little slow getting back and provided some good crosses from corners. 6.5

All three goals were scored from set pieces. Definitely something to be worried about. I don't know whether it's down to the players or tactics, but we generally don't seem to have much creativity going forward. Aquilani seems to dictate play well. The more of him I see, the more I want us to keep him.

Total average score of team: 5.93
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Ya Carroll is the won who really needs pre season games.He needs to play a lot to get real sharpness.Hopefully he is in peak fitness and form on Aug 13
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:22 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:Ya Carroll is the won who really needs pre season games.He needs to play a lot to get real sharpness.Hopefully he is in peak fitness and form on Aug 13

We're playing too many high balls for him. 85% of his game involves heading. We need the midfield to make some proper passes into him. At least we didn't hoof much today.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 pm

From what i have read Aquilani seems to have a real impact after coming on as sub same through out the pre season IMO.Would be interesting what we do with him hopefully dont send him on loan if he is really showing some consistency finally.

Though Aquilani is winning me over I still think we wont have Aquilani come Sep 1.So its better to think he will leave than end up disappoited.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:39 pm

BeautifulGame wrote:From what i have read Aquilani seems to have a real impact after coming on as sub same through out the pre season IMO.Would be interesting what we do with him hopefully dont send him on loan if he is really showing some consistency finally.

Though Aquilani is winning me over I still think we wont have Aquilani come Sep 1.So its better to think he will leave than end up disappoited.

I think he has been consistent in what he gives to the team every time he played for us. He may not always have the best performance on the team, but the class and creativity he brings to the team is brilliant. I know my word choice makes it seem slightly over-exaggerated, but I believe he could do very well for us.

The point about coming on as a sub is a valid one. He doesn't seem to chase after opposing players like others on the team do. I was watching the game on TV, and 4 times I heard Kenny yell "Pick it up Alberto." The commentators pointed it out as well.

His fitness is a concern to me, but I feel we should keep him nevertheless.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:40 pm

poolsupporter wrote:Player Ratings:
Johnson - Was very poor defensively and wasn't himself going forward. Probably down to the lack of match fitness. 4

This is a bit of an overreaction I reckon, but did anyone else think last season that Glen was a bit disappointing going forward during the whole season? As if a bit of his exploding energy was gone.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Art Morte wrote:
poolsupporter wrote:Player Ratings:

This is a bit of an overreaction I reckon, but did anyone else think last season that Glen was a bit disappointing going forward during the whole season? As if a bit of his exploding energy was gone.

For parts of the season.

When I say he wasn't himself, I meant he lost the ball way too often going forward in the final third.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Well 1st of last season we played dire football not much he can do.And most of the matches under Kenny he played as LB due to injuries.So yes i too think he was not really going much forward most of the season.But when he played as RB under Kenny he was marauding at times like the Fulham game 1st half Newcastle.

Overall i would say he was our best defender last season and think we will see the best of him ooffensively this season IMO
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Yea well.. I remember thinking during some game last season that "when was the last time I saw Glen beat a defender, I can't remember.."
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Just wanted to clarify that because Hodgson was using some terrible tactics, it doesn't excuse a lot of the bad individual performances last year.

I know it was a big change and Roy's fault for the most part, but it is ultimately the players on the field who directly affect the result. Let's not take all the blame away from them.
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:05 pm

When a manager tells the defense to defend on the edge of the area and not push forward even in attack it's hard to blame a wingback for his lack of attacking contribution, IMO.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by poolsupporter Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:23 pm

RedOranje wrote:When a manager tells the defense to defend on the edge of the area and not push forward even in attack it's hard to blame a wingback for his lack of attacking contribution, IMO.

The statement I made regarding Roy was that not all the blame lies on the manager. It was more geared towards our defense being crap during his time as manager, and not their attacking abilities. A few people seem to chalk off the last season's defense performance with the excuse that Roy was the manager. All I'm trying to say is that he is to blame for like 85% of our problems, but to take all blame away from the players is stupid.

I honestly fail to understand how some people's opinions take 180 degree turns based on the manager in discussion. (Not directed at you Red, and I won't point fingers)
poolsupporter
poolsupporter
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 pm

My mistake, I was under the impression that the discussion had been focused solely on Johnson's attacking contribution at that point.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Just watched the game. All I have to say is, we need the general back in our midfield.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:01 am

Under Hodgson we played with the mentality of a mid table / relegation battling team.Hoofing the ball every time we recieve it and inviting pressure all the time.We were scared of possesion and bypassed midfield most of the time.

Add to that he put Agger on the bench because he didnt play hoofball and choose PFK over Aurelio even when fit after meaninglessly loaning of Insua.

So yes i would attribute most of the blame on Hodson's tactics.I wouldn't judge any player's performance based on how we played under Hodgson.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 am

ynwa wrote:Just watched the game. All I have to say is, we need the general back in our midfield.

Couldn't agree more . .he is very very deeply missed! the reason is obvious Spearing is not efficient at breaking up plays . .to me he tries but ain't upto the mark!

Now on the overall game the chemistry between the players is not yet up to game level or necessary level . .there were few moments when Hendo was either getting angry at Adam or the other way round. .

Many of Adam's passes where not picked up! Then after he i guess suffered a slight blow didn't come back to the original state of play . .

Downing was playing cautiously . . very cautiously! although one of the stand out players in the team! Hendo well i couldn't see much of him!

Carroll was up there alone & that looked a little depressing . .i mean balls where being put in there & there was only 1 Red player! ! i mean we just cannot put Carroll to score every goal! ! but in all honesty some beautiful link up between Downing n Carroll! !

Defense was horrible AGAIN! Glen wasn't in the game i don't know what he was doing! ! but i guess he was being cautious too of injury ! ! Carra was poor i really didn't understand why a player like Carra would let the scorer of the third goal shoot wherein he was pretty close to the guy!

Agger was exciting aggressively but defensively as a CB he had multiple moments where he had no clue of where he should be! Poor positioning to be honest! but then again first game out of injury can't blame him much! Really need Skrtel in there!

The game for me started in the last quarter of the match! Aqua came in & was blazing from cylinders! ! passes, shots & corner kicks all around! ! he was like blazing fire on the field! which suddenly bought liverpool to life! ! My MOTM without doubt!

Another aspect i was looking in closely was Raheem! ! oooooooooo the little boy can run! ! he is fast!!!!!!! it was really great seeing him have a go! but i guess he was bullied a lot, a major reason for which he is still protected by Manager & Academy but there 2 to 3 runs which clearly showed why we rate him so high!

Overall another disappointing outing but Valerenga where a team who are already playing league games! so fitness for them wasn't an issue! Then again we were poor both Offensively & Defensively ! ! & what is up with THE CURSE OF THE THREE GOALS! !

Another thing that i felt was missing was THE CENTRAL GUY the man who would come in n run n inspire others to do the same. .the Captain in a way a leader who would guide others that has been missing i don't know sometimes players have been too disjointed or lost! I feel some1 has to step up! & also we do need LUCAS BACK! ! THE GENERAL IS REQUIRED! ! Smile
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:07 am

Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:58 am

Heh. Did more than half our team in 10 mins. :L
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:44 am

Aquilani was truly special when he came on. I have not been one of his ardent proponents during his time in a red shirt. I will admit; I even hoped he would be sold to Juventus. Not because I believed him to lack quality, but because I believed him to be surplus to our needs.

I am glad that I am not the one that has to pick the starting 11. Aquilani, Meireles, Adam and even Shelvey (who looked good in the match) will all cause selection headaches should they all remain with the club. It's certainly not a bad problem to have. As we all saw against Valerenga, a sub with quality and imagination can completely change the nature of the match.

During the match I couldn't get past the defensive frailties exhibited in the back four. However, with the addition of a left back and possibly a center back I am confident these can be ironed out. This is still essentially the same defense from last season, which looked very good at times under Daglish. I am confident that many of the mistakes can be ironed out in the remaining preseason. The gaping whole at left back was still evident, but, again, there is still time to fix this.

In all, my point is that there are still some good things to take from the match, despite the disappointing result.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next