The Last of Us (HBO)

+11
El Gunner
urbaNRoots
Firenze
Freeza
futbol
Myesyats
Vibe
Arquitecto
Pedram
Kaladin
BarrileteCosmico
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Vibe Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:31 pm

WTF. I didn't even know the Super Ball was now.

I have HBO max, it told me it's tonight.

Also there was an earthquake an hour ago, so I could have been living under a rock Laughing

Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Posts : 10302
Join date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Vibe Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:06 pm

This show man. This fucking show.

Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan
Posts : 10302
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:23 am

I wonder if there are any Bella haters left after this episode. Slayed all night. Pedro had a masterclass episode. This is definitely his emmy entry for the awards season (and would be fully deserved).

And yet another episode without infected. Honestly kind of amazing how great the show manages to be on just human interactions for all the drama. They are able to completely build 3 dimensional characters with so little time that it never fees like they're cheaping out.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 28330
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Vibe Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:25 pm

Proud
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan
Posts : 10302
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Firenze Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:32 pm

show is so good man

beautifully shot

goat actors

clear of walking dead
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 34288
Join date : 2012-04-25

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:09 am

Awesome show and acting.

But I have to wonder why they cut so many great scenes from the story in the game 😭
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 17218
Join date : 2011-08-11

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Vibe Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:28 pm

How fucking good was that
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan
Posts : 10302
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Freeza Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:09 am

Incredible stuff. They nailed it. My favourite part of the game and they delivered on all counts and even made David much more terrifying and made the ‘meat’ of the episode a lot more subtle and made them less cartoonishly evil.

Hard to believe it’s been like 10 years since a lot of us on here played the online mode on PS. My all time fave gaming days really.

Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 23461
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Arquitecto Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:36 am

Boys how does it compare to the game? Story wise, obviously.

I keep reading comments in IGN they are disappointed, that Joel and Ellie don't develop together, not enough infected and too many politics. Although the latter I expected a LOT in LoU2 but honestly I didn't see it in the game at all.

Anyone want to give their opinion?

Also want to know how Joel and Ellie compare to the game.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool
Posts : 12518
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:49 am

It has been very faithful to the game so far. Those complaints sound like trade offs made when adapting it rather than a fundamental shift away from the source. Excited to see how they handle the finale.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 28330
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by El Gunner Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:23 am

never played the game, heard they're trying to force a LGBT relationship in the TV show, how true is that?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 23021
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:39 pm

El Gunner wrote:never played the game, heard they're trying to force a LGBT relationship in the TV show, how true is that?
The relationship from Epi 3 was fleshed out a lot more than in the games, but there were hints all over the place, including the gay magazine Ellie found and commented on.

'Left behind' (epi 7) was a DLC released after the original and some people felt at the time that they retconned Ellie into a lesbian, but others think there were hints before. In either case, it was game cannon by the time the show came around.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 28330
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by rincon Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:18 am

Arquitecto wrote:Boys how does it compare to the game? Story wise, obviously.

I keep reading comments in IGN they are disappointed, that Joel and Ellie don't develop together, not enough infected and too many politics. Although the latter I expected a LOT in LoU2 but honestly I didn't see it in the game at all.

Anyone want to give their opinion?

Also want to know how Joel and Ellie compare to the game.

Its as good as it can be. By far the best video game adaption of TV or movies. Very faithful, some of the earlier episodes had a lot of shot-for-shot scenes from the games, while understanding that it must have differences to translate well to a different medium.

The cold opens are outstanding at building up the world outside of the game's main events which is a very nice addition. Ellie is mostly the same, that kid is an excellent actor. She captures the character perfectly. Joel is a bit different, there is more "implied" brutality relative to the game where you see it (and play it) all. The show makes it clear that Joel is capable of terrible things but shows it less, when they do show it though, its very impactful. There is a bit more focus on the consequences of his (previous) actions.

The "too many politics" thing just sounds like lazy reactionary talk. Anyone who has played the last of us knows what it is about, the only instance of "more politics" (it really isn't politics) would be the Bill and Frank storyline getting fleshed out much more, but, 1) those hints were in the game, and 2) that episode was incredible, it was some of the best TV you can see in any show.

My only complaint would indeed be that it's a bit too light on infected. It was clearly a choice to angle things a bit differently though, no loss of quality there.

Only thing from my side is that I wish that I didn't watch it week by week. Looking back, it's a show I would have preferred to watch in a shorter time-frame. Also, not knowing anything about the game would make it even better naturally.


Last edited by rincon on Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus
Posts : 16460
Join date : 2012-06-07

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by rincon Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:22 am

El Gunner wrote:never played the game, heard they're trying to force a LGBT relationship in the TV show, how true is that?

Some people just have problems with homosexuality. It doesn't get less forced than this. The creator of the game is also producing the show, and the grand total of 2 gay relationships in the show are also present in the game, which came out 10 years ago.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus
Posts : 16460
Join date : 2012-06-07

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by futbol Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:28 am

It's not just homosexuality. They use the full spectrum of wokeness.

Every main character is (or was) in a relationship with a black woman. Joel's daughter is black (which she wasn't in the game). Tommy's wife Maria is black (which she wasn't in the game). And of course Ellie's relationship with Dina. In fact, Tommy himself is not a white Texan anymore but looks like a Mexican as he is played by one.

Every group is led by (black) women, even a bunch of thugs somehow follow the orders of a chubby faced woman (Kathleen's episode). Except the one asshole who is portrayed as the bigotted, woman beating canibal. He is the whitest person in the entire series looking like an Irishman (while in the game, ironically, he was actually looking like the Mexican who is playing Tommy now).

Spoiler:

Then you also get cheesy dialoges like this:

Spoiler:

Honestly, the only good thing about this show is the optics and high production value + fan service for the fans of the game. I enjoy it the same way I enjoy cheap shark movies for entertainment purposes. Pacing is horrible, little highlight moments, no character development except the gay relationships and the "story" or goal of the journey was already ridiculous in the game. Like, what will bringing Ellie to the Fireflys to create a vaccine even achieve? The zombies still rip you in half and so do the postapocalyptic groups of cannibals (only seen 30 times before in this genre) and sect follower thugs. In a game that is excuseable as you are busy with the gaming part. In a movie?

Part II only becomes even more ridiculous as everyone has to pay for the stepdad protecting his stepdaughter in a cliché revenge arc.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle
Posts : 11262
Join date : 2012-11-23

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by El Gunner Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:29 am

yah i was wondering myself why the reviews and hype are so high... only finished two episodes and it just felt like another Walking Dead and Station Eleven to me... Station eleven which we got just two years ago mind you. Also Bella Ramsay's bitchy attitude character and her dialogue is borderline cringe.

Only positives i've seen so far is the high production sets/CGI.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 23021
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Vibe Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:29 am

If you come into this show looking for wokeness and LGBT levels then you've already set yourself up for a bad time.

This is the global agenda, and it's gonna be everywhere. Now since I don't care about that shit, I hardly even noticed it and this show is top class.

Nothing felt forced and it didn't really bother me.
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan
Posts : 10302
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:47 pm

@futbol If displaying "the full spectrum of wokeness" is something that bothers you then this show or game series is not for you. 🤷‍�

All the actors have been doing a phenomenal job and manage to feel like well defined characters in spite of fast pacing and not a lot of minutes. If we were getting bad performances because HBO tried to prioritize a more diverse cast then that's one thing, but that's not what we are seeing. Joel and Tommy are played by A listers who happen to be Hispanic, and Maria was switched from Hispanic to Black so either way you're stuck with "woke".
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 28330
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Myesyats Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:07 pm

futbol wrote:
Every group is led by women,

Well that was also the case in the games and everyone loved the games so why is it suddenly a problem now?


The "black" Joel's daughter is only 25% black btw

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 E5J9z5hWEAg9REx

It's not like this show is set in medieval europe, this is contemporary America ffs
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank
Posts : 19747
Join date : 2015-05-03
Age : 95

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:01 pm

I didn't even notice half the stuff that futbol mentioned, because I guess I wasn't explicitly looking for it.

I am disappointed though that the infected have been put to the side, they are trying to paint this as a "creative decision" but it's most likely a money issue. The situation just doesn't seem as desperate as it felt in the game.

It's still a great season no doubt though. I haven't really enjoyed a lot of new shows recently but with The Last of Us, I'm counting the days when the new episodes come out.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 17218
Join date : 2011-08-11

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Vibe Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:30 pm

I like it though. I think shows usually overdo it on the infected, like TWD where at some point you stop caring, doesn't feel dangerous.
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan
Posts : 10302
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by futbol Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:28 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:@futbol If displaying "the full spectrum of wokeness" is something that bothers you then this show or game series is not for you. 🤷

All the actors have been doing a phenomenal job and manage to feel like well defined characters in spite of fast pacing and not a lot of minutes. If we were getting bad performances because HBO tried to prioritize a more diverse cast then that's one thing, but that's not what we are seeing. Joel and Tommy are played by  A listers who happen to be Hispanic, and Maria was switched from Hispanic to Black so either way you're stuck with "woke".

You've got to be joking me. You are old enough to have seen many movies and series in the past as a comparison to call these characters "well made". Can you explain how Maria is a well defined character? What do we ever get to know about her? Where does she come from? How did she meet Tommy? What is her past? How did she survive for so long? Both in the games and in the series her only function is to call the shots over Jackson and over her husband who runs away in Part II like a little dumb child (which she even calls him in Part II: "Please bring back my foolish husband."). In fact, we never get to know much about Tommy either except for being Joel's brother. Out of 8 episodes, 3 haven't been about Joel either (2 flashbacks about homosexual relationships and the last episode where Joel was lying around ill). We never get to know anything about Tess either. Did anyone even care when she died? Of course not, because her character was merely there to represent a "strong woman" and nothing else.

So which character is well made for you? All I see is high production value from one nice scenery to another. Compare this to Walking Dead and the character development of, for instance, Carol from a stuttering and scared wallflower who gets abused by her husband into a complete badass after losing her daughter.

People that haven't played the games and like this so far will be shocked in the next season. Part II has basically no story. Half the game you just search for someone who did something bad and the other half you play as that person to sympathise for her actions as she is just human as well and "had her valid reasons".

Anyway, I won't write more. It's merely my opinion about this show. Alas, anyone should enjoy what they want. It's just one of thousands of series and movies.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle
Posts : 11262
Join date : 2012-11-23

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:08 pm

Bill, Frank, Kathleen, Henry and David all felt like well defined characters where we got a sense of their character, story, wants, etc. Tommy and Maria I agree got a lot less development (and Tess to some extent), but still felt absolutely lived in for the world with their own distinct voices.

Sidenote, the most glaring change relative to the show is that they decided to make Maria pregnant - wonder what implications that will have for S2.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 28330
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by rincon Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:21 am

Just watched the finale. I honestly didn't think they would go all in with it. Damn.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus
Posts : 16460
Join date : 2012-06-07

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Myesyats Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:00 am

futbol wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:@futbol If displaying "the full spectrum of wokeness" is something that bothers you then this show or game series is not for you. 🤷

All the actors have been doing a phenomenal job and manage to feel like well defined characters in spite of fast pacing and not a lot of minutes. If we were getting bad performances because HBO tried to prioritize a more diverse cast then that's one thing, but that's not what we are seeing. Joel and Tommy are played by  A listers who happen to be Hispanic, and Maria was switched from Hispanic to Black so either way you're stuck with "woke".

You've got to be joking me. You are old enough to have seen many movies and series in the past as a comparison to call these characters "well made". Can you explain how Maria is a well defined character? What do we ever get to know about her? Where does she come from? How did she meet Tommy? What is her past? How did she survive for so long? Both in the games and in the series her only function is to call the shots over Jackson and over her husband who runs away in Part II like a little dumb child (which she even calls him in Part II: "Please bring back my foolish husband."). In fact, we never get to know much about Tommy either except for being Joel's brother. Out of 8 episodes, 3 haven't been about Joel either (2 flashbacks about homosexual relationships and the last episode where Joel was lying around ill). We never get to know anything about Tess either. Did anyone even care when she died? Of course not, because her character was merely there to represent a "strong woman" and nothing else.

So which character is well made for you? All I see is high production value from one nice scenery to another. Compare this to Walking Dead and the character development of, for instance, Carol from a stuttering and scared wallflower who gets abused by her husband into a complete badass after losing her daughter.

People that haven't played the games and like this so far will be shocked in the next season. Part II has basically no story. Half the game you just search for someone who did something bad and the other half you play as that person to sympathise for her actions as she is just human as well and "had her valid reasons".

Anyway, I won't write more. It's merely my opinion about this show. Alas, anyone should enjoy what they want. It's just one of thousands of series and movies.

TWD huh?. You just have bad taste I guess
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank
Posts : 19747
Join date : 2015-05-03
Age : 95

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Vibe Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:11 am

rincon wrote:Just watched the finale. I honestly didn't think they would go all in with it. Damn.


Doesn't the show air on Sundays or Mondays? No spoilers pls
Vibe
Vibe
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan
Posts : 10302
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

The Last of Us (HBO) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last of Us (HBO)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum