McAgger
Firenze
Myesyats
El Gunner
McLewis
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Will you continue to be a member of the GL community if it moves to Discord?

Potential move to Discord - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%Potential move to Discord - Page 2 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 9 ]
Potential move to Discord - Page 2 Vote_lcap57%Potential move to Discord - Page 2 Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 21

Poll closed

Potential move to Discord - Page 2 Empty Re: Potential move to Discord

Post by Casciavit Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:28 am

I think discord would kill the forum, as people wouldn't be posting in match threads as often tbh. Also I won't be able to bump my prophetic posts.

Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:51 am

^^i have the same fear, but i suppose there's no risk in trying it out for the second half of this season... and see how it impacts the forum activity. After then, we can reassess again.

Also, will opening up a discord in addition to the forum help us lure in new users?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:50 pm

I'd bring back GL chat on key matchdays before Discord, some of us lurk but don't post due to time but the chat is a good way to say a quick hi during match days.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:57 pm

El Gunner wrote:^^i have the same fear, but i suppose there's no risk in trying it out for the second half of this season... and see how it impacts the forum activity. After then, we can reassess again.

Also, will opening up a discord in addition to the forum help us lure in new users?

It's certainly possible. If we decide to run the discord and forum side-by-side, it would make sense to promote them equally so that the folks who join one can join the other, if they choose.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:08 pm

Even though I‘m not that active anymore, I still visit and read your posts all the time. I‘m all for new ideas, if we don‘t lose all the old posters who return from time to time, I‘m for it.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:17 pm

5 or so years ago, this was my proposal and to this day i still it would be the best solution, especially if we can get everyone onboard, we can even leave a signpost here for people with our discord server in case if they ever want to return. But going at this trajectory, i don't foresee GL surviving this lack of activity in 2-3 years.

Discord, is the 2nd most widely used social app (non- traditional meaning insta, snap, etc are exempt) after reddit. I use it everyday for niche games, streams, etc.

Logging into a traditional forum is extremely difficult and cumbersome, especially on mobile on which i do most of my posting. Using GL on mobile is not an enjoyable experience, but i do so regardless because i enjoy the company here.

5 years ago i had proposed a discord server of the forum, and it is still accessible today for any to view how it might be, funnily enough El G is still a member there:

https://discord.gg/QNPcqHcD

I really hope GL keeps on keeping on because so many people here and even back goal.com when i was a lurker, have made so many memes, memories and friends.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:42 pm

i am? lmao, don't remember at all
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:01 pm

Have you guys considered a subreddit as well? Seems like it would be an easier transition for some of our older members.
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:50 pm

I think it'd be hard to bring in new users to a discord server tbh

like unless its a friend of a member or something someone introduces

but we havent gained an active member of the community here in years

I assume making a discord is more about accepting the inevitable death of the forum and keeping in touch with those of us who want to keep in touch and casually discuss football/current events/whatever...Discord is optimal for that

I think it'd be wise to make a Discord and run it alongside the forum for a while as propositioned, see what sort of activity levels we get in Discord. I literally use it daily and I rarely post on GL nowadays so I'd welcome the transition. Coming back to check in on GL nowadays for me isnt predominantly about discussing football etc, but checking in on old acquaintances/friends and the odd bit of banter/whining about my club.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:10 am

farfan wrote:Have you guys considered a subreddit as well? Seems like it would be an easier transition for some of  our older members.

Now this seems like it might be a great solution.

It might also be easier to get new posters to a subreddit than to a forum or discord server. Cross-posting to club subreddits and r/soccer might attract attention.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:02 am

I occasionally use discord for gaming (voice chat), but I wouldn't post on there like on a forum.

Reddit isn't bad, but I'm sceptical would it change anything for the better. Like, why would new people find r/goallegacy or become frequent posters? Also the fact that posting in an old thread doesn't bump it up might be problematic.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:09 am

please for the love of God i do not understand reddit
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:09 am

farfan wrote:Have you guys considered a subreddit as well? Seems like it would be an easier transition for some of  our older members.

An excellent suggestion. I honestly do not recall if a subreddit has been discussed, but I absolutely agree that it would be an easier transition from this platform while still keeping a lot of the functionality that makes this forum what it is. I honestly feel a bit dumb for having not considered this immediately as Reddit is probably the last truly popular messaging board platform left. It's bucked the trend that has doomed other message board platforms.

We'll discuss this. Thanks.

Last edited by McLewis on Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:19 am

I can only speak for myself, but I feel like moving GL to Reddit would be equivalent to moving an old gaming console up to the attic and trying to convince myself that I'll frequently go up there and bring it back down to use it Laughing

I do use Reddit occasionally, but I don't find it to be very manageable. I get notifications for all kinds of stuff on there and I've lost track of it all so whenever I go on there I just ignore the notifications and go look at whatever it is that I'm specifically looking for. GL probably wouldn't the first priority for that.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:25 am

McLewis wrote:

An excellent suggestion. I honestly do not recall if a subreddit has been discussed, but I absolutely agree that it would be an easier transition from this platform while still keeping a lot of the functionality that makes this forum what it is. I honestly feel a bit dumb for having not considered this immediately as Reddit is probably the last truly popular messaging board platform left. It's bucked the trend that has doomed other message board platforms.

We'll discuss this. Thanks.

no you won't!

have you not seen majority of the people here don't want to move the forum???

if you and RG don't find this community interesting as is anymore, then go post on other people's discord servers and subreddits by all means
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:10 am

Should have happened a long time ago. The digital communication culture have moved past this kind of forum structure really.

One of the reasons I'm not on here anymore. It's such a hassle to log-in and navigate on here, when there has arrived much easier alternatives since we started on here. This place has basically stayed the same while our, or atleast my, way of communicating online has changed a lot.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:42 am

My only remaining question is do I leave now or wait until this site is taken down? Sure sounds like the three of you are determined to end this forum. Such a shame!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:08 am

futbol_bill wrote:My only remaining question is do I leave now or wait until this site is taken down? Sure sounds like the three of you are determined to end this forum. Such a shame!

I don't think the forum should be shut down, regardless of what happens. I honestly won't bother to frequently visit a GL sub reddit. And a Discord server would probably just take up space at the bottom of my list of servers, so I'm quite indifferent to adding more platforms.

I think that would just split the current user base, and make things a little bit more convenient for the few that think the forum format is impractical. It's possible that it could pave the way for more people to join our community, but you might as well join an existing sub reddit or Discord server if the goal is to have a larger community.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:50 am

futbol_bill wrote:My only remaining question is do I leave now or wait until this site is taken down? Sure sounds like the three of you are determined to end this forum. Such a shame!

It's the fault of the admins.
We suggested about 6 years ago for them to improve the marketing of the forum if the goal was to increase/maintain activity, we even suggested we would put some money together to help with everything... but they just kept on saying, "no everything is okay, don't worry about the costs, we got it covered. Most people grow up and their lives get busy with other stuff. Let's leave the forum as is till it naturally dies out one day." And now all of a sudden they want to move the ship? Lol

Anyway i don't know where this is coming from suddenly. The activity of today is pretty much the same activity of a year and two years ago. Of the frequent posters we've lost Freeza, GLS, and Unique was banned, that's all. But frankly those are their own decisions. As i said, it's really not that hard to log in and post whenever you are on your computer (because i mean who doesn't live most of their daily lives in front of their computer in today's age).

And if you do find other platforms more in line with how you want to communicate online, then that's okay too, that's your decision.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:32 pm

Lol at Freeza saying he isn’t here most of the time. He and Mystats were posting the most during the summer marketplace and then he was regularly toting his manu. If he has left it’s only during this wC, which has seen a lot less postings, and that has seemed to be the norm during previous WCs.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:41 pm

@Bill no one is closing anything any time soon. We are reaching out for comment because we are interested in what the community has to say and take your comments seriously.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:45 pm

This sabotage is so absurd. How many new members will integrate tight knit GL community on subreddit ?? My guess is 0 Laughing and you guys are willing to sacrifice half the existing community for the sake of it

Discord can be a good idea to extend the life span of GL which is dying at admirably slow rate anyways. Maybe older posters will come back since it's more convenient way for them to communicate. But to close a forum where you spent hundreds, thousands of hours since 10 years is a big sad LOL

Open GL discord and keep the forum running, it's very simple
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:04 am

futbol_bill wrote:Lol at Freeza saying he isn’t here most of the time. He and Mystats were posting the most during the summer marketplace and then he was regularly toting his manu. If he has left it’s only during this wC, which has seen a lot less postings, and that has seemed to be the norm during previous WCs.

What in the world are you on about
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:10 am

Freeza and Firenze look quite similar tbh
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:12 am

Hopefully GL will continue, its been part of my daily routine on n off for so many yrs now ive lost count?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:55 am

Freeza wrote:
futbol_bill wrote:Lol at Freeza saying he isn’t here most of the time. He and Mystats were posting the most during the summer marketplace and then he was regularly toting his manu. If he has left it’s only during this wC, which has seen a lot less postings, and that has seemed to be the norm during previous WCs.

What in the world are you on about

Sorry for the confusion (on my part). At my age, a strange name beginning with F, look all the same!
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next