El Gunner
Jay29
Casciavit
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jack Grealish Watch Empty Jack Grealish Watch

Post by Casciavit Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:18 pm

It seems like he'll be getting a big move. He's been linked with City. Not sure why they need another #10, but Pep wants him. He sees him taking that advanced 8 role that David Silva used to play.

Villa wants 100M for him, but I expect City to bring down the fee to 80M or so.

I struggle to give a proper assessment of him as a player. His cult fan base will have you thinking he's the English Ronaldinho. I'm not sure how GL feels about him, but is there something he has that I'm not seeing?

He was a big fish in a small pond at Villa. Every time I watch him he takes 20 touches on the ball and is busy fishing for fouls instead of playing quickly. He's like the midfield version of Neymar without the flair or the numbers.

Obviously I'm a fan of the fact that he shows a lot of personality on the pitch and tries to be a protagonist, but he seems like the type who resorts to hero ball when things aren't going his way. He's good at driving forward with the ball and his close control is good (not Bernardo level) though. His main form of danger creation involves him squaring up against the opposing FB where he takes 100 small touches on the ball until he send an overlapping pass or cross.

He's good, but I don't see him as being great or not yet at least. On one hand, Pep will simplify his game and get rid of his annoying habits, but on the other hand Grealish seems like the type of player who may struggle to do that. Anyone else see this as a potential flop signing? He's not a guaranteed starter either. If the idea is to pair him with KDB and have Rodri behind them that doesn't sound like a very balanced midfield to me.

That's my initial assessment of him. Those who have seen more of him feel free to chime in if you disagree/agree. If he does get a big move it'll be easier to give a better assessment so I'll be waiting to change my mind until then.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Jack Grealish Watch Empty Re: Jack Grealish Watch

Post by Jay29 Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:20 pm

He was one of the most creative players in the PL last season. 3.1 key passes per game (2nd highest; only KDB got more with 3.2), 2.5 dribbles per game (4th highest) and 10 assists (beaten by Kane, KDB and Fernandes), while playing for Villa whose respectable league placement had much to do with his performances. His stock's high because he was playing at a very high level relative to what was expected of his team.

Can he put up those numbers for City? Hard to say. Villa's system was designed around him. He played mostly on the left of a front free and Villa basically skewed their attacks and positioning towards him so he could get the ball more often. He's a player who wants to take a lot of touches (you'll be surprised to know he was the most fouled PL player last season) and Villa indulged him to a degree City wouldn't. It's by far the biggest shift he'd have to make in his game.

I never know what Guardiola is thinking but given their failed pursuit of Kane and lack of other striking options, I imagine the false 9 set-up is sticking around? In which case, that's KDB and Foden spending more time in that position which opens up a space for Grealish as an offensive 8 or left sided player. Or maybe Grealish himself plays the false 9 role. A player who can take a lot of touches in that position isn't always a bad thing if he can draw players to him.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:39 pm

Pep will sort him out, no worries. I think Grealish will buy into whatever he is told to do.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:54 pm

From poor man's Beckham to 100m signing . What a path.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:25 pm

Not watched him much, only for England lately Razz Also early last season why Villa was surprising everyone, watched a bit of their games and was impressed, not knowing at the time he was the heart of it. So he should be good enough at least to be a sub challenging for the places.

I always like this type of creative flair and more exciting type of player, so hope he does well and improve. Hes done very well both at club and with the limited role in terms of time he had with England which shows hes flexible enough to adjust to circumstances it seems.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:04 am

El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:04 pm

Villa fans' whole behaviour during this saga has been something to say the least. Laughing
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:06 pm

Jay29 wrote:He was one of the most creative players in the PL last season. 3.1 key passes per game (2nd highest; only KDB got more with 3.2), 2.5 dribbles per game (4th highest) and 10 assists (beaten by Kane, KDB and Fernandes), while playing for Villa whose respectable league placement had much to do with his performances. His stock's high because he was playing at a very high level relative to what was expected of his team.

Can he put up those numbers for City? Hard to say. Villa's system was designed around him. He played mostly on the left of a front free and Villa basically skewed their attacks and positioning towards him so he could get the ball more often. He's a player who wants to take a lot of touches (you'll be surprised to know he was the most fouled PL player last season) and Villa indulged him to a degree City wouldn't. It's by far the biggest shift he'd have to make in his game.

I never know what Guardiola is thinking but given their failed pursuit of Kane and lack of other striking options, I imagine the false 9 set-up is sticking around? In which case, that's KDB and Foden spending more time in that position which opens up a space for Grealish as an offensive 8 or left sided player. Or maybe Grealish himself plays the false 9 role. A player who can take a lot of touches in that position isn't always a bad thing if he can draw players to him.

Apparently, Bernardo wants to leave so Grealish will be his replacement. He wants to go to Spain, but I don't know if any of the top teams there can afford him right now. Laughing
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Casciavit wrote:Villa fans' whole behaviour during this saga has been something to say the least. Laughing

Have you been to RedCafe? Grealish is modern day Ronaldinho, sprinkled in with some Garrincha, while Sancho is hybrid of Messi, Pele and Maradona package both are generational talents.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:40 pm

Grealish just seem like an expensive experimental project for Pep I don’t see what he brings team they don’t have and quite honestly we don’t exactly know what he maybe capable of. All I know is if they sign Kane with Grealish, Kane and Sterling they’ll have divers upfront in the coming season.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:54 pm

I haven't checked RedCafe's opinion of him, but like I mentioned in the OP Grealish has a fervent fanbase who thinks veryyy highly of him. Laughing

Apparently, City's been tucking in their fullbacks in an extremely narrow manner this preseason. That means their CM's are going to play as 10s. I was reading more into the Grealish signing and Sam Lee said Pep views converting Grealish to a #8 as a personal project. He wants someone who dribbles with the ball into the penalty box from central spaces. Grealish is one of the best ball carriers in the league. He also puts up good creative numbers based on the stats Jay posted making him someone who can potentially translate well to that advanced 8 role.

100M for that is definetely hefty, but oil money gonna oil money. Personally think signing a striker and then a winger is more paramount than signing another #10, but I don't know we'll see how he pans out.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by chemicalboy99 Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:27 am

Casciavit wrote:oil money gonna oil money.

Which in this case doesn't actually apply.

They didn't include the Sane money in last years accounts so add that to the ding received for Luksa Nmecha, Jack Harrison and Angelino plus the ding for Ilic and £11M Jadon Sancho sell on clause and Grealish has cost nothing.

The Liverpool way apparantly.
chemicalboy99
chemicalboy99
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:53 am

He will definitively help them walk the league and do unimpressively well in CL again
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:38 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:He will definitively help them walk the league and do unimpressively well in CL again

Don't forget the La Decima of Carabao Cup.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:He will definitively help them walk the league and do unimpressively well in CL again

Like PSG but in a much better league.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:07 pm

100m pounds lmao most ridiculous fee ever

even 80m€ for Morata was moderate in comparison

these fucking City clowns are completely unhinged, off the rails
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:18 pm

proper madness this move

solid player but 100M? Villa is his level, maybe Arsenal at best
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Pep: "We spent 40M on Grealish. 100M on his fee and 60M from the sale of other players."

rofl

He's talking about net spend like 2018 Nish. I'm in tears.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Casciavit Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:07 pm

He confirmed Bernardo wants to leave and 2-3 other big names want to leave as well. Not sure who has the money to pay for any of them.
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:14 pm

Surprised about Bernardo, he was key for long periods and improved a lot. Grealish is promising, but Pep must have a lot of believe in him, giving no.10.

I doubt it, but imagine if Pep really didnt know that Messi wont stay at Barca and actually wanted him lol... from Messi to Grealish...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:53 pm

Casciavit wrote:Pep: "We spent 40M on Grealish. 100M on his fee and 60M from the sale of other players."

rofl

40ME worth of players we've never heard of lol

How come City, Chelsea and PSG are the only clubs in Europe capable of loaning >40 players / season ?
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:10 pm

Valkyrja wrote:
Casciavit wrote:Pep: "We spent 40M on Grealish. 100M on his fee and 60M from the sale of other players."

rofl

40ME worth of players we've never heard of lol

How come City, Chelsea and PSG are the only clubs in Europe capable of loaning >40 players / season ?

Nmecha, Leeds' Harrison, Angelino, these aren't actually no-names..
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:39 pm

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin