RealGunner
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

UEFA scraps away goal rule - Page 2 Empty Re: UEFA scraps away goal rule

Post by El Gunner Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:24 pm

Sina wrote:Yes bring it back
Teams playing 2nd leg at home have the advantage even more than before

and you don't think the team with the higher seed during group stage deserves that advantage?

The rules are pretty simple now. Beat your opponent over two legs of football fair and square by goals. If you wanna go suck up the entertainment value by parking the bus in either match, that's your prerogative, tactical approach and problem to deal with if it goes against you.

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:32 pm

It's crazy how the most worthless tournament in the world had it right. I loved away goals until the Forlan goal in ET against us. ET away goal was literally a crime against humanity.

I am all for the Carabao cup setting where both teams get 90 mins to score away goals but if it goes to extra time, away goals don't count double. I don't mind it being this way either, this is one status quo change I can live with. To be honest even though celebrating the away goal was a next level feeling.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:34 pm

It not just round of 16 though
How about quarter finals and semis?

It makes it even more likely to go to extra time now in which team who host 2nd leg then has the advantage to play 30 more minutes with home support without worrying about away goals

Plus first leg becomes even more of a must win for home team otherwise they have to win the away leg(with away goals they may not have to)

Away goal rule has been responsible for some of the most memorable CL knock out ties
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:55 am

El Gunner wrote:at home of team with the higher seed during group stage phase

So the fans of the other team can get fucked?

The issue with the previous law has always been that it remained in effect after extra time. They should have kept it but removed the away goals rule if the match went into extra time to make it fair to the home team of the second game.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:37 am

Was it better when the team at home parks the bus in first leg ? Never made sense to give such importance to away goals imo

Win an away game 3-2 is not necessarily better than winning 1-0. Football is also a tactical battle taking place and i don't mind defense being rewarded. The game is the game no need for mickey mouse rules to make it more fun.

The away goal rule is less fair to smaller teams
Juve vs Lokomotiv: 0-1
Lokomotiv vs Juve: 2-3
Yet Juve absolutely deserve to advance ?? meh
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:09 am

Rules are introduced to encourage the flow of the game all the time.

Anyways, we have a small sample size of games right now, and unless this becomes a clear trend, it won't be an issue
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:28 am

I think Weare getting carried away.

There has been 2 matches, in one the visitor scored 5 goals and in the other Madrid got dominated.

Let's wait and see.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:45 am

Lord Spencer wrote:

The issue with the previous law has always been that it remained in effect after extra time. They should have kept it but removed the away goals rule if the match went into extra time to make it fair to the home team of the second game.

fucked how? pls you sound hyperbolic

the issue that Sina raised above for further stages in the competition i didn't think of yet. But i would say let the deciding factor be... higher seed, then most points, then most goals scored (both group stages and KO-stage so that it encourages more attacking football). If it's still tied after that, then virtual toin coss the son of a bitch, goddammit
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:24 pm

Nish is right, just have away goals but if the 2nd leg goes to ET then they stop counting extra. Simple and fair.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:27 pm

El Gunner wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

fucked how? pls you sound hyperbolic

the issue that Sina raised above for further stages in the competition i didn't think of yet. But i would say let the deciding factor be... higher seed, then most points, then most goals scored (both group stages and KO-stage so that it encourages more attacking football). If it's still tied after that, then virtual toin coss the son of a bitch, goddammit

Why should the fans of one team (and the team also getting financially shafted) be deprived of supporting their team in a CL match?

It has always been a two-legged tie to include both sets of fans who cannot realistically travel around Europe easily.

The hyperbole is the casual dismissal of stadium-attending fans based on "seed points".
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:26 pm

in the NFL it doesn't seem to be an issue...
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:04 pm

El Gunner wrote:in the NFL it doesn't seem to be an issue...

The NFL, where teams are franchises and move cities every decade or so, where they piss on home fans for more lucrative deals in other cities.

Sure, that's the same as Inter fans not being able to see their team play a CL match because Liverpool has a better "seed".
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:29 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:The predictable consequence bas happened: teams park away and games are less interesting. Carlo is rightfully punished for his initiative today (or lack thereof). There was no need to change something that was not broken.

Carlo parked the bus because he faced a superior team, he would have done the same thing at home. And you're overlooking the fact that, without having to worry about conceding at home, PSG were free to push even more. We probably don't get that goal if this rule would still be in place

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I care. Teams playing for the 0-0 is bad for the sport and the fans. At least with away goals there were harsh consequences for going with that strategy and getting it wrong.

Rules that go against the fairness of a competition are what's bad for the sport, not tactics
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:34 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Nish is right, just have away goals but if the 2nd leg goes to ET then they stop counting extra. Simple and fair.

I'd just like to add to keeping the tie like history when the two legs are played over 7 days rather than 28 now, the squad, intensity, emotions everything drains down for the second leg being played after a month.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:36 pm

Just to give an example, if away goals was still a thing, my shirt and pants would be off with that first Liverpool goal vs Inter in the 77th minute considering Inter's fearless performance.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:43 am

... yes definitely a good thing to scrap this rule hmm
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:17 am

adun101 wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:The predictable consequence bas happened: teams park away and games are less interesting. Carlo is rightfully punished for his initiative today (or lack thereof). There was no need to change something that was not broken.

Carlo parked the bus because he faced a superior team, he would have done the same thing at home. And you're overlooking the fact that, without having to worry about conceding at home, PSG were free to push even more. We probably don't get that goal if this rule would still be in place

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I care. Teams playing for the 0-0 is bad for the sport and the fans. At least with away goals there were harsh consequences for going with that strategy and getting it wrong.

Rules that go against the fairness of a competition are what's bad for the sport, not tactics

Good point about home teams being able to push more

Though I don't see anything unfair about the rule itself as long as it doesn't apply to ET (as suggested)
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:08 am

One thing I agree with in terms of abolishing the away goal rule.

Since there is no seeding in elimination rounds other than being a group winner or runner up, it's too much of an advantage for the team playing at home in the 2nd leg of tie with the away goal rule.  It was huge.

Now, it's still an advantage to have the second leg at home...  but the home team in the first leg can play more recklessly.  It doesn't matter if they win 3-2 or 1-0 anymore...  they just need to win.

Since so much is a lottery as opposed to proper seeding both in terms of who you play and if you get to play the 2nd leg at home., I'm for it.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:02 am

The away goal is absurd, no other sport has something close to this. A tie is a tie, regardless how many or few goals were scored.

I still remember the 2008 Chelsea-Barca game my first real introduction to this idiotic rule. Barca scored a late goal to tie the game, and they advanced. At no point in 180 minutes of football did they ever lead the series, I remember thinking how can anyone justify such rule.

Maybe a rule deciding the winner based on # of minutes leading the tie makes a lot more sense. At least there is a justification.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:41 am

Lord Spencer wrote:

The NFL, where teams are franchises and move cities every decade or so, where they piss on home fans for more lucrative deals in other cities.

Sure, that's the same as Inter fans not being able to see their team play a CL match because Liverpool has a better "seed".

this fan argument is ridiculous to me, everyone and their mum has a TV and internet access so watch it at home you bozos. If you want home ground advantage go fucking earn your higher seed.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:14 am

El Gunner wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

this fan argument is ridiculous to me, everyone and their mum has a TV and internet access so watch it at home you bozos. If you want home ground advantage go fucking earn your higher seed.

So basically, what I said initially was correct.

Your suggestion is for fans of one of the teams (and the team itself) to get fucked out of watching the match and supporting their team.

As if watching the match on TV is the same as watching it in a stadium Laughing
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:29 am

no my suggestion is one-off matches could work if all else fails, i don't give a fuck about the fans watching in stadiums..
Will probably make the entire spectacle better and more fun as well, as there won't be that 20-day delay between matches that Nishy mentions. And underdogs will have a better chance at making fairytale runs.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:33 am

El Gunner wrote:no my suggestion is one-off matches could work if all else fails, i don't give a fuck about the fans watching in stadiums..
Will probably make the entire spectacle better and more fun as well, as there won't be that 20-day delay between matches that Nishy mentions. And underdogs will have a better chance at making fairytale runs.

Again, you are just confirming my point that your suggestion is basically for fans of one team to get fucked, as if football doesn't have anything to do with the fans. You are confirming it with every post, and yet claim my initial post was hyperbolic Laughing

So underdogs can go in a fairytale run against without their fans watching because of their lower seed Laughing

The only way a one-off game approach can work is by playing all matches in a rotating neutral venue every year.

Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:07 am

whatever dude Laughing my main point never was about the fans, but if that's what you want to read into it, then so be it
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum