Lord Awesome
M99
RealGunner
The Franchise
McLewis
21 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

EURO 2020 - R16 : Belgium vs Portugal - Page 5 Empty Re: EURO 2020 - R16 : Belgium vs Portugal

Post by Art Morte Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:31 am

Such a frustrating loss for Portugal after playing better than Belgium the whole match. Gotta create more chances, though. For Belgium, the lack of new talent to compliment this golden generation is starting to show a little, imo.

Anyone else wonder how this Portugal side would look without Ronaldo starting? Obviously he's a world-class scorer, but this was another one of those matches where he was kinda useless since he didn't get opportunities to score. Spending so much time standing there by the defenders, waiting for someone to put it on a plate for him, instead of taking part in the build-up.

Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

EURO 2020 - R16 : Belgium vs Portugal - Page 5 Empty Re: EURO 2020 - R16 : Belgium vs Portugal

Post by Casciavit Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:49 am

Can't say I'm surprised. Portugal looked pretty dysfunctional this tournament. Though watching today it really dawned on me how useless Ronaldo is when he isn't scoring tap ins or penalties. Another R16 exit in a major tournament since leaving the elite service he had at Real Madrid. At 36, he isn't someone who is going to win big games with a creatively limited supporting cast. If Portugal wants to continue to build around him they need to play to his strengths rather than having him serviced by a donkey midfield. Sure he'll score hattricks against fodder, but I can't see any actual progress against the big guns.

The reason for that is due to Portugal having a dinosaur of a coach and the way they shithoused their way to Euro 2016 is up there with Chelsea 2012 and Greece 2004. They tied all of their group stage games, finished third, and only won one match in regulation time. Ronaldo getting injured was a blessing in disguise for them because it meant they could park all 11 players behind the ball, and low and behold Eder scored a goal against the run of play.

They have talent, so the future is bright. They just need to bring in a more proactive coach who can make use of them. If Portugal concedes first you just know it's game over for Fernando Santos. Laughing
Casciavit
Casciavit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:32 am

Belgium got this one tactically right I think.

Portugal are only dangerous in transitions and winning set plays/pens. Stop the transitions but keeping that back 5 soild, not overlapping much but advancing with the ball only. 2 protectors of the space in front of the 3 and no space in between the fullbacks and CBs and the front 3 applying no real pressure to Portugal's build up.

Slowing the game down to a controllable pace and suffering no transition moments. There was some moments it got a bit tricky as Martens and Hazard were not doing a great job stopping the fullbacks but in the end the back 3 won most of their duels.

Some flaws for sure though, towards the end some bad decisions could have cost them. Players taking too long to play forward passes when Portugal were obviously committing many forward and Carrasco trying to score when he should be running into the corner to waste time.

I expect a similar gameplan vs Italy, but I think Italy have more tools to manipulate the back 5 and bend it out of shape.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:37 pm

Casciavit wrote:Can't say I'm surprised. Portugal looked pretty dysfunctional this tournament. Though watching today it really dawned on me how useless Ronaldo is when he isn't scoring tap ins or penalties. Another R16 exit in a major tournament since leaving the elite service he had at Real Madrid. At 36, he isn't someone who is going to win big games with a creatively limited supporting cast. If Portugal wants to continue to build around him they need to play to his strengths rather than having him serviced by a donkey midfield. Sure he'll score hattricks against fodder, but I can't see any actual progress against the big guns.

The reason for that is due to Portugal having a dinosaur of a coach and the way they shithoused their way to Euro 2016 is up there with Chelsea 2012 and Greece 2004. They tied all of their group stage games, finished third, and only won one match in regulation time. Ronaldo getting injured was a blessing in disguise for them because it meant they could park all 11 players behind the ball, and low and behold Eder scored a goal against the run of play.

They have talent, so the future is bright. They just need to bring in a more proactive coach who can make use of them. If Portugal concedes first you just know it's game over for Fernando Santos. Laughing

100% correct
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5