BarrileteCosmico
Perucho21
Thimmy
rincon
Myesyats
BarcaLearning
13 posters

Go down

VAR has eliminated wrong offside calls Empty VAR has eliminated wrong offside calls

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Not saying this due to the game just now lol... but it has really dawned on me despite all the criticism of VAR, it really has basically eliminated wrong offside calls by the linesman? I have always thought that the linesmen job of getting all their offside calls correct are basically impossible, let alone most or majority, since its physically impossible - u have to look at the ball being played with it often on the other side of the pitch and then look straight (if able to keep up with the attacker's line) in the same moment lol - there are just bound to be so much left to pure judgement call of the linesman. Technology is the only that could ensure such an impossible task can be done accurately.

Of course there are still issues sometimes when the VAR doesnt intervene for some reason as we have seen, or other aspects of the game, but purely talking calling offside or not, its finally been fixed. Some ppl might argue that they prefer the old way, allowing for errors but fluent gameplay/less pauses, and generally should be done by a human Razz But for me, getting the right decision is definitely more important.

What do u think? Do u agree? Or perhaps Im missing something...
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

VAR has eliminated wrong offside calls Empty Re: VAR has eliminated wrong offside calls

Post by Myesyats Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:06 pm

People complain about VAR but it has really minimized the amount of ref errors even though not always used perfectly.

So even though some mistakes are still made even with VAR, the overall number of errors is much smaller which is good obviously.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

VAR has eliminated wrong offside calls Empty Re: VAR has eliminated wrong offside calls

Post by rincon Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:06 pm

VAR is great.

We have had 5 goals ruled off for Morata in 3 matches, the ones against Crotone and Verona were much closer than the ones tonight. All were correct by VAR as much as it sucks for me. Better to remove this uncertainty and minimise the error in these calls.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:10 pm

I’m not a Juventus fan, but that offside call on Morata was absolutely marginal. You’re being a great sport by calling that a correct call - because it is, but I just watched Greenwood’s goal get checked by VAR and deemed not offside, and he was clearly further offside than Morata was Laughing
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Thimmy wrote:I’m not a Juventus fan, but that offside call on Morata was absolutely marginal. You’re being a great sport by calling that a correct call - because it is, but I just watched Greenwood’s goal get checked by VAR and deemed not offside, and he was clearly further offside than Morata was Laughing

Thats becos its Man U, they have the refs in their pockets, even the VAR refs, the other club that has this is Real Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Perucho21 Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 pm

What is this bro you're a barca fan you shouldn't be speaking of VAR in a positive manner
Perucho21
Perucho21
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:30 pm

Best thing about VAR is that, right or wrong, footballers just accept the decision and move on. Gone are the days of crowding the ref and descending into 5 min fights.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:33 pm

VAR is a success, I will never debate against it.

Yes it takes away from some romantic aspects of football along with slowing down the game to a halt.

But I feel the enemy of VAR can be poor judgement by the refs themselves, along with it being a threat to their own ego to which I hear is slowly the case and can represent a bias in the judgements.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Since we went to VAR then cancelling Morata's goal is the correct thing to do of course. My problem is VAR should not exist in first place.

I think they should release all referees and have a robot managing the matches now.

Then yes, VAR will be useful as it will be used in 100% of the match, each micro-second will be analyzed. How many bs penalties and cards we still see being awarded ? A lot

And supposedly this has less influence on the result than a 1mm offside, that the human eye cannot see Rolling Eyes
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:42 pm

Arquitecto wrote:VAR is a success, I will never debate against it.

Yes it takes away from some romantic aspects of football along with slowing down the game to a halt.

But I feel the enemy of VAR can be poor judgement by the refs themselves, along with it being a threat to their own ego to which I hear is slowly the case and can represent a bias in the judgements.

This pretty much sums up my opinion of it, and I honestly don’t understand why it works the way it does. I’d imagine calls would be more accurate if the people who monitor the match through VAR, were the ones who made the final calls, and the on-field ref’s primary job was to convey the final decision.

From what I understand, it works the other way around, and that doesn’t strike me as the most efficient way of doing it. Not to mention the flaw of on-field refs being emotionally affected, as you point out. Ref crowding has definitely decreased, but I can’t imagine players ever stop complaining and pressuring the on-field ref. If he’s not the one who makes the final call, then that’s one less incentive for players to do so.

Also, I personally think there should be some, minimal leeway for players to be off-side. Either that, or they have to be consequent with every decision. As it stands, some teams get away with being slightly over the line, while others get punished for a distance that amounts to a short strand of hair.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:50 pm

I thought I would be 100% for VAR, I love playing by the rules and people forced to play by them.

But I do have some growing pains. There's definitely been something lost from the "raw spirit" of football where emotions are instant and everyone's holding their breath to look at the linesman / referee to see whether the flag or whistle goes. It doesn't feel the same seeing the ball hit the back of the net and then roll on the replays.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:07 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Best thing about VAR is that, right or wrong, footballers just accept the decision and move on. Gone are the days of crowding the ref and descending into 5 min fights.

This is the correct take. Even players complaining about VAR is pretty minimal. They take a breather and give the ref space while he talks to VAR.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by neuro11 Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:04 pm

I am fully with VAR. I would be happy if in future they remove the human assistants and leave the machine to fully decide it. Rules should be clear, decision should be binary. No chances of involvement of human emotion and biases.

neuro11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Thimmy wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:VAR is a success, I will never debate against it.

This pretty much sums up my opinion of it, and I honestly don’t understand why it works the way it does. I’d imagine calls would be more accurate if the people who monitor the match through VAR, were the ones who made the final calls, and the on-field ref’s primary job was to convey the final decision.

From what I understand, it works the other way around, and that doesn’t strike me as the most efficient way of doing it. Not to mention the flaw of on-field refs being emotionally affected, as you point out. Ref crowding has definitely decreased, but I can’t imagine players ever stop complaining and pressuring the on-field ref. If he’s not the one who makes the final call, then that’s one less incentive for players to do so.

Also, I personally think there should be some, minimal leeway for players to be off-side. Either that, or they have to be consequent with every decision. As it stands, some teams get away with being slightly over the line, while others get punished for a distance that amounts to a short strand of hair.

That is the key point here.

VAR is not the problem nor will it be. It is an objective entity as the problem can occur on how it is used and how well it will be.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:49 am

Finally scrap this stupid rule

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:25 pm

On my life, this is how I knew the rule growing up. Doesn't matter if your arm, hand, elbow etc are leaning offside, it doesn't constitute actually being offside. Can't remember where I heard it explained, but that's, essentially, how I've been determining whether a player is offside or not for the better part of 20+ years. I always assumed it was already a standard part of the rule cos, you know, it makes sense.
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:06 pm

It's always been the case that your arm being offside doesn't matter. Wenger wants it to flip it -- instead of being offside if a part of your body you can score with is offside, you're onside if any part of your body you can score with is onside. It'll be kind of like how the whole ball needs to cross the whole line. I'm personally all for it.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:50 pm

So basically giving the advantage over to the attacker instead of the defending team? I imagine that would mean a lot more goals scored, and hence the game would change where less teams will be willing to play too high and too much offside trap?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum