Match Day Thread 20/21

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Match Day Thread 20/21 - Page 18 Empty Re: Match Day Thread 20/21

Post by The Franchise Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:27 pm

I cant repeat often enough how much I cant stand Alba and how yet again, he shows his true nature when things get difficult. His recent good form was nothing outside of playing against average teams and having almost no defensive responsibility.

Surprise, surprise, we play a strong opponent and he has to make defensive decisions and he falls apart.

That first goal was absolutely shocking.

First of all, Dembele, Messi and Pedri had committed to the "press" in the center. Its already established, our ball side wingback jumps forward to the opponent fullback in those moment where the ball is played to that side.

Valverde and Lucas have rotated and Alba must jump to Valverde early. Instead Alba follows Lucas all the way to the back, instead of passing him on to Lenglet and stepping forward to Valverde to prevent the easy route out of pressure.

Then, after that error Lenglet cannot afford to leave the center open when the ball carrier Valverde has no ball pressure put on him so correctly blocks the middle. Alba who, cannot go and win the ball because his job is now Lucas, he has to stay back and let a midfielder (they probably would not be able to make it) or Lenglet step out to take Valverde who was coming inside.

But of course this absolute clown doesnt understand basic defending and how to prioritize danger. He tries (and a pathetic try at that) to step to Valverde who is moving at high speed and he easily shifts the ball to Lucas who is wide open. After that its over, Araujo cannot bail us out and its a goal.

I dont care how many assists or goals he scored, the man cannot defend at all and will continue to cost us in big moments.

Messi was poor, Dembele was even worse. They were fastly outperfomed by Benz and Vini.

Dembele as a 9 has its uses, but these are against teams in a high block where his speed in a danger in the open spaces. But as a 9 against a mid and then low block Madrid, he doesnt have the ability to play as a 9. He doesnt understand when to drop to receive, he doesnt know how to only play with 1 or 2 touches and he never gets to play 1v1. Koeman didnt anticipate the mid to low block Madrid used so that made Dembele and the system in general, less effective. Because we were ineffiecent in attack it lead to many transitions and it makes no difference if you play a back 3 or 4, if you lose the ball in the areas we did you will struggle.

Benz drops deep over and over, Araujo doesnt want to follow because Mingueza needed cover against Vini and Dest has to take care of the advancing Mendy. Madrid simply had to win the ball, play up to Benz who could set it back to Kroos or Modric who can then play the forward pass to Vini and it happened over and over. The solution is not to lose the ball as we did and where we did, with no opportunity to counter press.

I dont give the players that much credit for the much improved 2nd half were I think we did deserve another goal rather than a draw. But this was down to Madrid having 10 players out there who had played a mid week game and were clearly losing defensive intensity. Very little to do with us. Moving to 4 defenders was a factor, but a small one from my point of view. It was more the declining intensity of Madrid plus having another player (Griezmann) ahead of the ball and in the box allowed for more forward passing options.

The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:17 am

@The Franchise wrote:I cant repeat often enough how much I cant stand Alba and how yet again, he shows his true nature when things get difficult. His recent good form was nothing outside of playing against average teams and having almost no defensive responsibility.

Surprise, surprise, we play a strong opponent and he has to make defensive decisions and he falls apart.

That first goal was absolutely shocking.

First of all, Dembele, Messi and Pedri had committed to the "press" in the center. Its already established, our ball side wingback jumps forward to the opponent fullback in those moment where the ball is played to that side.

Valverde and Lucas have rotated and Alba must jump to Valverde early. Instead Alba follows Lucas all the way to the back, instead of passing him on to Lenglet and stepping forward to Valverde to prevent the easy route out of pressure.

Then, after that error Lenglet cannot afford to leave the center open when the ball carrier Valverde has no ball pressure put on him so correctly blocks the middle. Alba who, cannot go and win the ball because his job is now Lucas, he has to stay back and let a midfielder (they probably would not be able to make it) or Lenglet step out to take Valverde who was coming inside.

But of course this absolute clown doesnt understand basic defending and how to prioritize danger. He tries (and a pathetic try at that) to step to Valverde who is moving at high speed and he easily shifts the ball to Lucas who is wide open. After that its over, Araujo cannot bail us out and its a goal.

I dont care how many assists or goals he scored, the man cannot defend at all and will continue to cost us in big moments.

Messi was poor, Dembele was even worse. They were fastly outperfomed by Benz and Vini.

Dembele as a 9 has its uses, but these are against teams in a high block where his speed in a danger in the open spaces. But as a 9 against a mid and then low block Madrid, he doesnt have the ability to play as a 9. He doesnt understand when to drop to receive, he doesnt know how to only play with 1 or 2 touches and he never gets to play 1v1. Koeman didnt anticipate the mid to low block Madrid used so that made Dembele and the system in general, less effective. Because we were ineffiecent in attack it lead to many transitions and it makes no difference if you play a back 3 or 4, if you lose the ball in the areas we did you will struggle.

Benz drops deep over and over, Araujo doesnt want to follow because Mingueza needed cover against Vini and Dest has to take care of the advancing Mendy. Madrid simply had to win the ball, play up to Benz who could set it back to Kroos or Modric who can then play the forward pass to Vini and it happened over and over. The solution is not to lose the ball as we did and where we did, with no opportunity to counter press.

I dont give the players that much credit for the much improved 2nd half were I think we did deserve another goal rather than a draw. But this was down to Madrid having 10 players out there who had played a mid week game and were clearly losing defensive intensity. Very little to do with us. Moving to 4 defenders was a factor, but a small one from my point of view. It was more the declining intensity of Madrid plus having another player (Griezmann) ahead of the ball and in the box allowed for more forward passing options.

Agreed on Alba. Reports that he told Pique that we wont win in the Cup. Should be thrown out for it.
Team is filled with mental midgets. In tough games, knockouts of the CL; football is more mental. No surprise that we have been humiliated time and time again because we have a team full of mental midgets.
Alba, Busquets, Pique, Mats (he has not covered himself in glory in our CL humiliations) and of course the biggest mental midget of them all Messi.
All need to be thrown out if we are to do better in knockouts and tough crunch games.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:45 am

i agree. Mentality plays a big part and thats what RM has and we lack right now. Their team is also shit but somehow they breezed past liverpool
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:03 pm

That Alba report was legit? I thought that was just a joke or something,

How this man has carved a decade long career at Barca is far beyond me.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:17 am

@The Franchise wrote:That Alba report was legit? I thought that was just a joke or something,

How this man has carved a decade long career at Barca is far beyond me.

Not sure about legitimacy. I read reports online. I wouldnt be surprised though. The old guard is all a bunch of mental chumps. I wouldnt put it past anyone of them uttering such a thing.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:12 pm

At least we win a title, with a great performances. Hopefully both Madrid teams can screw up a little and we can capture the league.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:13 pm

Good win from a developing youngsters perspective. Koeman has brought through a bunch of youngsters and developed them through the season. Winning a trophy in their first season will do good for the confidence of youngsters like Pedri, Araujo, Mingueza, Dest, Moriba etc.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:16 pm

Damn what a final

Match Day Thread 20/21 - Page 18 433410
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:23 am

The 3rd goal was brilliant. We had like 30 odd passes before the goal.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:02 am

Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:13 pm

That was such a good second half. Have to question the Athletic tactical set up, making it far too easy for us to walk into their half but breaking them down wasnt easy as you saw in the 1st half.

Griezmann showed some very good movement and De Jong of course played a tremendous game.

Madrid will keep dropping points I believe, so that Atleti game becomes very interesting.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:37 pm

Barcelona have a more difficult schedule than Real Madrid.

H vs Getafe
A vs Villarreal
H vs Granada
A vs Valencia
H vs Atlético
A vs Levante
H vs Celta
A vs Eibar

Compared to Madrid, although they have at least 2 CL matches to play still midweek, so that can tire them.

A vs Cádiz
H vs Betis
H vs Osasuna
H vs Sevilla
A vs Granada
A vs Athletic
H vs Villarreal
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:41 pm

Messi is the best captain ever, perfect nurturing place for youngters.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:23 pm

He is not captain... The last captain barca had was Puyol.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:08 am

@danyjr wrote:Barcelona have a more difficult schedule than Real Madrid.

H vs Getafe
A vs Villarreal
H vs Granada
A vs Valencia
H vs Atlético
A vs Levante
H vs Celta
A vs Eibar

Compared to Madrid, although they have at least 2 CL matches to play still midweek, so that can tire them.

A vs Cádiz
H vs Betis
H vs Osasuna
H vs Sevilla
A vs Granada
A vs Athletic
H vs Villarreal

We definitely have the harder run in, lucky for us Madrid having quite a few injuries it seems. Atletico Madrid game will be huge, and we often failed vs them in recent years when it matters, we need to get it done this time, otherwise we wont deserve it again.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Yes, its a harder run in terms of higher quality teams. But we can and should beat them all other than Atleti and possibly Villareal away.

Madrid on the other hand have so many injuries and drop points to these lower teams more frequently plus have the CL games to (maybe) play.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:18 pm

Lenglet in the span of 6 mins gets a yellow and scores an own goal. No idea why he keeps getting selected.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:22 am

@Winter is Coming wrote:Lenglet in the span of 6 mins gets a yellow and scores an own goal. No idea why he keeps getting selected.

He has had a terrible season but neither were his fault imo. The yellow was not deserved and not sure what he could have done on the own goal.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:25 am

Good game I felt. Moved the ball brillaintly the first half. Struggled a bit once Araujo came on. We just couldnt play out of the press as easily with Araujo there instead of Pique.
Koeman went ballistic there on Mingueza when he charged forward on the counter. Have not seen him that pissed with us. Yanked Mingueza. Hope its not the bench for the kid.
Headed goal from a setpiece. We finally have good presence in the air with the likes of Mingueza, Araujo etc.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:35 am

Not much Lenglet could do with that it was just a bad luck deflection. Araujo on the hand worries me, he made up by scoring, but what Im concerned about is his brains in defending. Physically hes good, but he still has a long way to go to become a top CB.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:22 am

Araujo gives away too many fouls, his passing is not very tidy either. I would much rather play Mingueza instead of him.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:18 am

@danyjr wrote:Araujo gives away too many fouls, his passing is not very tidy either. I would much rather play Mingueza instead of him.

Out of the two, Mingueza is certainly far more foul prone.

0.4 v 0.8 in La Liga and 1.0 v 1.8 in the CL.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:24 am

@alexjanosik wrote:Good game I felt. Moved the ball brillaintly the first half. Struggled a bit once Araujo came on. We just couldnt play out of the press as easily with Araujo there instead of Pique.
Koeman went ballistic there on Mingueza when he charged forward on the counter. Have not seen him that pissed with us. Yanked Mingueza. Hope its not the bench for the kid.
Headed goal from a setpiece. We finally have good presence in the air with the likes of Mingueza, Araujo etc.

I dont think he will be punished beyond this game. For me, it was just part of coaching and it passes after the final whistle.

Mingueza did exactly what I was complaining about those weeks back and this has to change. Especially considering the stage of the game, where Getafe had done nothing but were still very much in the game despite us being superior.

Perhaps, as I have heard, Mingueza was confused if he was a rightback with Trincao coming in for Roberto or still part of a back 3 but this to me is no excuse. You play your position until told otherwise and if in doubt, you always go on the side of caution. Perhaps I have more sympathy with Koeman because I have complained about this issue with Mingueza before or that I have shouted at my players (though it doesnt hold the same consequences without cameras etc) on rare occasions also. Regardless, I am very sure this isnt a big deal and wont impact the next games at all.

I also felt we played very well, except for that spell after half time where I believe the entire team didnt play with the same intensity and speed as they did before.

I also thought Busquets was the best player on the pitch. Looked like it was 2011 at times. He was very sharp.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Araujo did look clumsy. I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Before he got injured, there was a stretch there where looked legit, like could become an elite CB legit.
Then he had the injury, came back early, got re inured. Now he is reduced to sub appearances which is difficult for a CB.
He looks off the pace and a split second late. I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:48 pm

@The Franchise wrote:
@alexjanosik wrote:Good game I felt. Moved the ball brillaintly the first half. Struggled a bit once Araujo came on. We just couldnt play out of the press as easily with Araujo there instead of Pique.

I dont think he will be punished beyond this game. For me, it was just part of coaching and it passes after the final whistle.

Mingueza did exactly what I was complaining about those weeks back and this has to change. Especially considering the stage of the game, where Getafe had done nothing but were still very much in the game despite us being superior.

Perhaps, as I have heard, Mingueza was confused if he was a rightback with Trincao coming in for Roberto or still part of a back 3 but this to me is no excuse. You play your position until told otherwise and if in doubt, you always go on the side of caution. Perhaps I have more sympathy with Koeman because I have complained about this issue with Mingueza before or that I have shouted at my players (though it doesnt hold the same consequences without cameras etc) on rare occasions also. Regardless, I am very sure this isnt a big deal and wont impact the next games at all.

I also felt we played very well, except for that spell after half time where I believe the entire team didnt play with the same intensity and speed as they did before.

I also thought Busquets was the best player on the pitch. Looked like it was 2011 at times. He was very sharp.

Yes, it was very clearly because he left his position. I dont know if I agree though. I kind of enjoy it when he attacks out of the back 3. It brings an added element of surprise to our game. Is it risky? Yes, but I think it also brings unpredictability to our attack. He has done it numerous times leading to good dangerous possession up the pitch and/or creating chances through overloads. I know its different but similar to when Frenkie would jump into midfield from the back 3.
I also think he was a bit unfairly singled out. Frenkie did the same thing when he moved to the left of the back 3 late on.

Agreed on Busquets. That was an exceptional performance. His passing was a joy to behold. I continue to be amazed by Busquets short and 1 touch passing. Is he a better 1 touch and short passer than Xavi? I keep going back and forth.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:44 pm

I know what you mean and I think with the ball coming forward that is good, but not without it nor at that particular moment. That to me is too dangerous, especially when you play on the sides of the back 3.

With the ball he can drive into space and force another opponent out, which can open the space for others in the middle.

That to me is what De Jong does exceptionally well when he plays as a defender. He can drive forward and commit players to him, which in theory opens up more spaces for others.

Or, even the deep runs if we have already established long spells of possession in the opponent third. When you do that you can surprise the opponent because they hadnt accounted for your presence.

But what we did yesterday and has done on occasion, I really dont like.

We had not established control in the final third at that moment, with 20+ pass sequences and keeping Getafe stuck inside their own third or half. Instead, he went forward on a random counter attack with no chance of any cover.

Was it a little harsh to go at him? I dont know, if you want to take into account the season he has had sure but I dont really see it that way. Again, perhaps I am siding more with Koeman than most because I have been in the same position and done the same thing.

I cant compare Xavi and Busi in that. Its impossible. That pass yesterday broke 3 separate lines of players, that is Xavi written all over.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum: