BarrileteCosmico
Thimmy
Myesyats
El Gunner
Babun
36 posters

Page 23 of 24 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Go down

Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics - Page 23 Empty Re: Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics

Post by Pedram Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:57 am

Imagine thinking anything that David Brooks writes is a must-read.

@Myesyats no offense bro but you really need to change people who you look up to as source of opinions and information, Bill Maher and now Brooks? Laughing

Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics - Page 23 Empty Re: Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics

Post by Myesyats Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:09 am

David Brooks is not the author of this text, please inform yourself before poking fun
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:09 pm

Anne Applebbaum is the epitome of the bad, intellectually ostentatious yet lazy, pseudo-accomplished yet astonishingly ignorant way journalism, think tank activism and academia are mated in the US establishment.

Don't need to read it to know it's trash, her writings are trash.

US elite universities breed turbo-pseudo-smart, high-functioning morons.

No idea why exactly. Think it's because of money. The affluence that is involved in all of it, lifestyle, sociocultural circles, tuition, facilities, career aspirations, free market collaboration, grants, think tank funds, even student loan debt.

Last edited by Hapless_Hans on Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:18 pm

McLewis wrote:That was a rather disappointing read honestly.

It read as apologia for all who have been been held accountable for shitty things they've said and done.

The writer leaned far too into the slippery slope narrative. For me, people are being held accountable by HR departments and the court of public opinion specifically because the court of law can't. When shitty things are said and done, ways will be found to ensure accountability occurs, even outside of established law.

I think that's all good and desirable. But there are definitely instances where this is taken too far (ex the hispanic truck driver that got fired for making what someone on twitter thought was a white power sign), and sometimes the sentence doesn't meet the crime.

Should an entire career be ruined for a bad comment? In some instances, for sure. In some others, it's harder to make the case, but it happens anyways. Fact is when the only court is the court of public opinion then the only sentences are bound to be inconsistent and arbitrary.

Short of regulating speech I'm not sure what the way out is though, and in that case the medicine might be worse than the crime.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:06 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Anne Applebbaum is the epitome of the bad, intellectually ostentatious yet lazy, pseudo-accomplished yet astonishingly ignorant way journalism, think tank activism and academia are mated in the US establishment.

No idea why exactly. Think it's because of money. The affluence that is involved in all of it, lifestyle, sociocultural circles, tuition, facilities, career aspirations, free market collaboration, grants, think tank funds, even student loan debt.

it's not just the US, but every Western-influenced culture of academia at large... it's postmodernism at its uttermost scrutiny and finest.

simply put, my dear German friend, within the last 10 years or so we've entered our first digital information dark age of society

HP Lovecraft once said, "The most merciful thing in the world, i think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live in a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity. And it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little... but some day the piercing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our own frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:36 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Anne Applebbaum is the epitome of the bad, intellectually ostentatious yet lazy, pseudo-accomplished yet astonishingly ignorant way journalism, think tank activism and academia are mated in the US establishment.

you're an ass Laughing
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:30 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
McLewis wrote:That was a rather disappointing read honestly.

It read as apologia for all who have been been held accountable for shitty things they've said and done.

The writer leaned far too into the slippery slope narrative. For me, people are being held accountable by HR departments and the court of public opinion specifically because the court of law can't. When shitty things are said and done, ways will be found to ensure accountability occurs, even outside of established law.

I think that's all good and desirable. But there are definitely instances where this is taken too far (ex the hispanic truck driver that got fired for making what someone on twitter thought was a white power sign), and sometimes the sentence doesn't meet the crime.

Should an entire career be ruined for a bad comment? In some instances, for sure. In some others, it's harder to make the case, but it happens anyways. Fact is when the only court is the court of public opinion then the only sentences are bound to be inconsistent and arbitrary.

Short of regulating speech I'm not sure what the way out is though, and in that case the medicine might be worse than the crime.

Sure. Context should be taken into account. Often, all that is required to do so is to read beyond the headline. Not enough people do that, but when those of us that do read beyond headline share that context, the tune often changes. As it should be.

Depends on the severity of what was said and done. And, of course, the context in which those things were said and done. The irony to me is that the court of public opinion has the platform it has today BECAUSE the court of law can't or won't hold people accountable yet, just like the court of law, the court of public opinion gets it wrong too. It shows that no court is perfect.

I don't know the answer either. I just know if someone says or does something awful and the court of law can't hold them accountable for it, the default shouldn't be that no one will.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:56 am

Guardian was my most read foreign paper. Not anymore. rofl
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:20 pm

lol im sure most people were trolling by voting for her anyway, i mean there's gotta be 10 more deserving people than JK Rowling's tweets ... it's still funny though them cancelling the entire poll
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:25 am

She's a fascinating study on the ability to separate the artist's beliefs from their actual body of work.

There's a lot of people who oppose Rowling's TERFness, but absolutely love the Harry Potter universe. Observing them try to navigating that conundrum is interesting.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:58 am

Harmonica wrote:

Guardian was my most read foreign paper. Not anymore. rofl

They deleted the poll because it was over, and it wasn't to select the person of the year, it was to nominate them.

The results are here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/30/guardian-readers-nominate-their-person-of-the-year

I get the Guardian can get annoying with the PC'ness, but in this instance, they closed the poll as the end of the year was approaching.
I'm sorry that it's this boring, but mostly, when established media are attacked as fake news, it's usually by fake news outlets.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:50 am

In today's politically diverse world and age of information, it's safe to say every artist will have a belief that rubs a fan with totally different beliefs the wrong way. Kanye (Ye) is another perfect mainstream example. Some are just more outspoken than others. People should just grow up and stop trying to police other's beliefs.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by danyjr Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:23 am

McLewis wrote:She's a fascinating study on the ability to separate the artist's beliefs from their actual body of work.

There's a lot of people who oppose Rowling's TERFness, but absolutely love the Harry Potter universe. Observing them try to navigating that conundrum is interesting.
This is how it should be. Throughout history there have been numerous philosophers, writers, artists with "bigoted" ideas. An intelligent person will be able to utilise or enjoy the work without agreeing with the creator, let alone having to idolise them.

I personally loved the Harry Potter books and couldn't care less about the writer herself. And that is not to say I necessarily disagree with her stance on the transgender issue. Just that the creator and the creation should be judged separately.
danyjr
danyjr
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Boca Juniors

http://www.tikitakatoom.ml

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Fri May 19, 2023 4:27 pm

Adidas have released their women's swimsuit "Pride" collection for this year. And the woman model looks very brave and courageous hmm

Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics - Page 23 Skjerm92
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Wed May 24, 2023 4:48 pm

Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics - Page 23 Untitled

No wonder Henry Cavill left Laughing
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed May 24, 2023 6:37 pm

"Sapkowski was involved in the process and agreed to this so he must think it fits in his story"

The usual argument in response to things like this is getting weaker and weaker.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed May 24, 2023 6:50 pm

Myesyats wrote:"Sapkowski was involved in the process and agreed to this so he must think it fits in his story"

The usual argument in response to things like this is getting weaker and weaker.

Weren't you also on the Kool Aid bandwagon initially? hmm As great as Sapkowski may be as a writer, I think it's been clear for a long time now that he prioritizes profit over everything else. Ahole even tried to demand more money from CDPR after he saw how successful the game was Laughing
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed May 24, 2023 6:53 pm

Thimmy wrote:
Myesyats wrote:"Sapkowski was involved in the process and agreed to this so he must think it fits in his story"

Weren't you also on the Kool Aid bandwagon initially? hmm As great as Sapkowski may be as a writer, I think it's been clear for a long time now that he prioritizes profit over everything else. Ahole even tried to demand more money from CDPR after he saw how successful the game was Laughing

The kool aid what now? Very Happy
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 pm

The "I don't mind it, so everything's cooooool brah" bandwagon Very Happy I might be mistaken, but I thought I recalled you being very happy with the cast, and didn't seem to mind the plot changes. You didn't seem too fussed about the authenticity or lackthereof, so why then is it a problem if they bring more politics creative freedom into it? Might as well finish what they started hmm
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed May 24, 2023 7:38 pm

Thimmy wrote:The "I don't mind it, so everything's cooooool brah" bandwagon Very Happy I might be mistaken, but I thought I recalled you being very happy with the cast, and didn't seem to mind the plot changes. You didn't seem too fussed about the authenticity or lackthereof, so why then is it a problem if they bring more politics creative freedom into it? Might as well finish what they started hmm
Well, iirc I said some things were fine and others weren't. I have not read the books so there's that. AFAIK most of the criticism did come from the bookworms. Some characters have grown on me as the plot evolved, some were a throwaway from the very beginning.

But there comes a point when there's too much intervention and shoving agendas down your throat when you least expect it is the last thing you want when enjoying your beloved Witcher.

And as far as Sapkowski is concerned, I knew from the beginning that he didnt agree to any of it yet some folks used that argument.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Sat May 27, 2023 12:28 am

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Found Wed May 31, 2023 1:35 pm

Sometimes I see stories from Sweden that make me think “wow that’s so bad it must be propaganda”, but then you check the sources and nope, it is that bad.
The basic pattern of the story is usually disgustingly violent rape + a disgusting under punishment by the authorities.
I mean what do you have to do get more than 10 years in prison in Sweden, cut a bitch’s head off while raping her? I’m sick of learning about a girl raped so violently her clothes are soaked in blood and then learning the perpetrators get 1 year if they’re an adult, or some community service if they’re 15 years old. It’s some upside down batshit version of a criminal justice system.
The only way I can make it make any sense is that Sweden was such a peaceful place that they literally forgot how to police and punish seriously violent crime, until immigration changed it, and now they’re stuck in a place where they can’t adapt to the new situation because of political correctness.
I don’t know if that’s what it is, but I’ve seen some research that immigrants are a majority of rape convicts in Sweden which is insane https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8330751/

So right now my working theory is that Sweden had at one point virtually eradicated violence from its society and became very soft as a result, and now it is incapable of dealing with violent individuals, compounded by political correctness because of the inconvenience of most of the criminals being immigrants. Maybe if they just pretend all the criminals are native swedes that will help them to start policing them properly or something.
Found
Found
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed May 31, 2023 8:02 pm

Sweden is that messed up?

I always imagined it as one of the best places in the world.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed May 31, 2023 8:07 pm

‘Segregation has been allowed to go so far that we have parallel societies’, says Magdalena Andersson. Failed integration of immigrants is fueling gang violence and crime, Swedish PM says

For a long time they didn't even acknowledge that issue.
Myesyats
Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Found Wed May 31, 2023 8:56 pm

I think most of Sweden is normal as before and life goes on as usual and might even be some of the best places in the world.
It’s just when you have success and privilege like that, you start to not take things like crime seriously. I’m not trying to say there’s rape on every street every day though.
Found
Found
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed May 31, 2023 11:39 pm

Rape and pedophilia should be life sentence. In theory should be death penalty for such soulless act but there is always this risk of killing an innocent, while you can at least be compensated for wrongful conviction. What matters is to remove those people from society ASAP

About the swedish study posted above and similar things i read about other countries, my understanding is that refugees from Africa and Asia are more likely to commit rape than any other group. What i think has big influence is the women rights in their country/culture are far below swedish standards. As example when it comes to second generation of immigration born and raised in Sweden the % of rapists is quite low if not proportional.

The over representation is a very bad look but the entire community is not responsible for this, by all logic if you have a huge influx of people from whatever country there is also a decent influx of criminals that comes with it.

Well i hope the laxist justice is due to Sweden becoming soft as you said and soon they wake up. Hope it's not some bs manoeuver to avoid discussions regarding immigration Laughing as if the average joe from Africa and Asia would want rapists to get a free pass anyways
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 24 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next