BarrileteCosmico
Thimmy
Myesyats
El Gunner
Babun
36 posters

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next

Go down

Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics Empty Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics

Post by Babun Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Halle Bailey casted as ariel, the little mermaid for disney's next live action show which caused a racial shitstorm in the www:
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/disney-s-freeform-responds-critics-halle-bailey-casting-ariel-n1027456

What's your opinion about the topic?
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics Empty Re: Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics

Post by El Gunner Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:58 pm

yaaaaawn

for years white people have played PoC roles, and now a fuss is made about this.

just cast the right colour person for the right colour role is what i say, then it will never be an issue.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics Empty Re: Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics

Post by Myesyats Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 pm

My stance now is that I just wish people didnt give a shit about this. What even is "black"? There's like a thousand shades of black. And what about mixed people?

I don't like when creators fuck with already established characters but it's a children's movie in a fantasy world so who cares.

That said, I didnt even notice her skin being darker when I seen the poster online. Only later I found out in the headlines.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Actually, I'm positivly surprised in this case. Disney chose an acting role who is a proper singer with awesome voice for a singing role. I can't stand synthesized voices of some cute pipsqueaks of late and don't know any white actress who can sing to that degree as of now.
An example of what I mean:

A very powerful, expressive voice I like. One of my favourite songs from non heavy metal variety.

Pipsqueak version which I can't listen to for long but somehow became a radio hit Very Happy
Myesyats wrote:My stance now is that I just wish people didnt give a shit about this. What even is "black"? There's like a thousand shades of black. And what about mixed people?

I don't like when creators fuck with already established characters but it's a children's movie in a fantasy world so who cares.

That said, I didnt even notice her skin being darker when I seen the poster online. Only later I found out in the headlines.

The right question should be: why isn't disney producing new original content, instead they're milking their old products like no tomorrow. Moana was a good one. Maybe, they should look for interesting folklore all around the world and not just the old tales by brothers Grimm? That would be the move into the right direction from my POV. Changing characters here and there depending on the political situation doesn't change the mindset. Particularly, India, South and East Asia have got shitloads of very interesting tales in their folklore .
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:51 pm

Babun wrote:The right question should be: why isn't disney producing new original content, instead they're milking their old products like no tomorrow. Moana was a good one. Maybe, they should look for interesting folklore all around the world and not just the old tales by brothers Grimm? That would be the move into the right direction from my POV. Changing characters here and there depending on the political situation doesn't change the mindset. Particularly, India, South and East Asia have got shitloads of very interesting tales in their folklore .

I agree. They should do that more instead of re-making old shit. Nobody needs another Ariel. But that's more of a creative issue rather than a racial one as I see it.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Myesyats wrote:
Babun wrote:The right question should be: why isn't disney producing new original content, instead they're milking their old products like no tomorrow. Moana was a good one. Maybe, they should look for interesting folklore all around the world and not just the old tales by brothers Grimm? That would be the move into the right direction from my POV. Changing characters here and there depending on the political situation doesn't change the mindset. Particularly, India, South and East Asia have got shitloads of very interesting tales in their folklore .

I agree. They should do that more instead of re-making old shit. Nobody needs another Ariel. But that's more of a creative issue rather than a racial one as I see it.

I’ve raised this question before - why change the races and genders of iconic characters and movies from the past, when they can simply create something new? But then I see all of the praise they get from certain corners for doing it this way. All of a sudden, they’re daring, brave and an inspiring beacon of hope in this discriminatory world.

Why would they do it any other way, when they get such positive publicity? Even that horrid, humorless, Ghostbusters remake with women objectifying Chris Hemsworth, was a decent hit at the box office.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:20 pm

this thread seems a bit broad, what's the relationship between PC & lgbtqi+etc?

As far as the little mermaid, who cares?

I will say people should be consistent though, if you don't care that the little mermaid (inspired by a scandinavian folk story iirc) is black then you should also not care when a white character is cast in a typically black/minority role.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:31 pm

I didn't even touch that Ghostbusters re-make. Not worth my time

But if you want a sensible take on "the discriminatory world" as it pertains to sex, then I recommend you watch this:

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:50 pm

I personally find the consistent remakes of original movies/shows/cartoons with different races quite stupid. Just create new characters and story, find the whole phenomenon cheap, lazy, and uncreative.

Can't change the past and unwise to rewrite history, work on the present and future.

Also the whole thing about a minority should play a minority is quite nonsense. It is called acting for a reason, if a the actor playing have to have the lived experience than is there any acting going on?
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:08 pm

Blue wrote:I personally find the consistent remakes of original movies/shows/cartoons with different races quite stupid. Just create new characters and story, find the whole phenomenon cheap, lazy, and uncreative.

Can't change the past and unwise to rewrite history, work on the present and future.

Also the whole thing about a minority should play a minority is quite nonsense. It is called acting for a reason, if a the actor playing have to have the lived experience than is there any acting going on?

i think it more has to do with big studio movies who have the funds to afford any actor, so why not just approach a minority actor for a minority role then?

if it's smaller movies no one cares about, then it shouldn't be much of a problem,
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:21 pm

If she fits the character, I don't care about skin color.
A mermaid is a fairy tale creature, so I really don't think it matters what her skin color is.

I know that sometimes fictional characters vibe with certain cultures (and by extension probably sometimes ethnicities), but mermaids hardly scream Caucasian to me.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:32 pm

Think this belongs here, it's from 3 years ago but it's more relevant than ever

https://medium.com/@jesse.singal/planet-of-cops-50889004904d

Spoiler:
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:05 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:this thread seems a bit broad, what's the relationship between PC & lgbtqi+etc?

As far as the little mermaid, who cares?

I will say people should be consistent though, if you don't care that the little mermaid (inspired by a scandinavian folk story iirc) is black then you should also not care when a white character is cast in a typically black/minority role.

The groups have legitimate claims but some leftist groups or political movements instrumentalise them to censor or shut up people/media they don't like. Any critic involving these movements involves hordes of people in the internet calling one racist, fascist or right wing without any proper discussion. They are the holders of the self-righteous absolute truth Very Happy The media (mostly news reporters, film and game makers) make half assed effort to make it semm as if they address the issue (mostly cosmetic). Neverthless, some media makes it right and drives the agenda properly forward. For example, Horizen Zero Down managed to introduce a proper strong, female lead. Bad examples are when I tried to watch "Ghost in the Shell" film, as soon as I turned on and saw Scarlett Johansson I turned off. I mean WTF? The same happened as I tried to watch the live action movie remake about "Beauty and The Beast" with my little cousins. The dance baal was full of coulored people in medival Europe. It felt really cringy to me. I took out the original for them to watch. Call me racist but that's not the way to make it right.
The spectrum is too broad so it doesn't make sense to discuss everything in general on theoretical level. I'd like us to discuss real events related to the movements here like the issue with "ariel, the little mermaid" which is a nonissue for me. It has to be said, most successful inclusion of the LGBTQ happened when the plot/story revolved around them from the begining.
BarrileteCosmico wrote:Think this belongs here, it's from 3 years ago but it's more relevant than ever

https://medium.com/@jesse.singal/planet-of-cops-50889004904d

Spoiler:

Oh yes, guilty until proven innocent. The practice had it highs during the medieval ages. Some damage caused by it:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/aug/29/men-women-workplace-study-harassment-harvard-metoo

The #meToo abuse hampered the chances of female managers to rise up. The males are afraid to tutor them because they could lose everything if an allegation is directed towards them. Close social contact building events aren't possible. The problem is, it's enough for others or for the female to misunderstand a situation even if one doesn't mind it to get fired and to have a ruined life. In Germany, companies started hiring predominantly males for that reason. The article in guardian is kinda ridiculious. According to her opinion, men are at fault for not risking their career for greater good where the outcome can be only neutral or negative for the man. Why would one risk? Would you do that?

Last edited by Babun on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:27 am

Babun wrote:The groups have legitimate claims but some leftist groups or political movements instrumentalise them to censor or shut up people/media they don't like. Any critic involving these movements involves hordes of people in the internet calling one racist, fascist or right wing without any proper discussion. They are the holders of the self-righteous absolute truth Very Happy

The media (mostly news reporters, film and game makers) make half assed effort to make it semm as if they address the issue (mostly cosmetic). Neverthless, some media makes it right and drives the agenda properly forward. For example, Horizen Zero Down managed to introduce a proper strong, female lead. Bad examples are when I tried to watch "Ghost in the Shell" film, as soon as I turned on and saw Scarlett Johansson I turned off. I mean WTF? The same happened as I tried to watch the live action movie remake about "Beauty and The Beast" with my little cousins. The dance baal was full of coulored people in medival Europe. It felt really cringy to me. I took out the original for them to watch. Call me racist but that's not the way to make it right.

The spectrum is too broad so it doesn't make sense to discuss everything in general on theoretical level. I'd like us to discuss real events related to the movements here like the issue with "ariel, the little mermaid" which is a nonissue for me. It has to be said, most successful inclusion of the LGBTQ happened when the plot/story revolved around them from the begining.

I agree that "discussions" on social media, especially twitter, are closer to witch hunts than real good faith arguments. But I'm very hesitant to say that these things need to be discussed on a case by case basis. Clearly if something is truly historical then it should be faithful to that history. But for fiction it's as much a reflection of the times being lived than the times when the original stories came from and were adapted from.

As per this thread, no one in this thread really has a problem with a black little mermaid, but some people on GL did have an issue with some Witcher characters being cast by minorities. To me, we have to be consistent about this and treat all cases with the same standards. It's either ok for modern media to repurpose casts with ones that are more representative of today's world or it should be faithful, and either scenario is defensible, but we can't pick and choose between the two stances depending on who gets "hurt" by the change.

Babun wrote:Oh yes, guilty until proven innocent. The practice had it highs during the medieval ages. Some damage caused by it:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/aug/29/men-women-workplace-study-harassment-harvard-metoo

The #meToo abuse hampered the chances of female managers to rise up. The males are afraid to tutor them because they could lose everything if an allegation is directed towards them. Close social contact building events aren't possible. The problem is, it's enough for others or for the female to misunderstand a situation even if one doesn't mind it to get fired and to have a ruined life. In Germany, companies started hiring predominantly males for that reason. The article in guardian is kinda ridiculious. According to her opinion, men are at fault for not risking their career for greater good where the outcome can be only neutral or negative for the man. Why would one risk? Would you do that?

Yeah, when your career can end over hearsay and no proof it's no wonder men are going to the extra mile to protect themselves. Still wouldn't say MeToo has hurt women though, it has been very effective at rooting out sexism out of many industries.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:04 am

Babun wrote:Halle Bailey casted as ariel, the little mermaid for disney's next live action show which caused a racial shitstorm in the www:
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/disney-s-freeform-responds-critics-halle-bailey-casting-ariel-n1027456

Jesus was dark brown skinned.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:17 am

Those who ask for the white actor to not voice Cleveland anymore, if they follow this train of thought, they should ask for white actress playing Little Mermaid, and that gay actors should play only gay characters, and vice versa

See how dumb that logic is ??

Imo nobody should care. The political correctness is a slippery slope that leads directly in a big pile of crap. This is precisely what i expect society will become, if not offending anyone becomes the root of all things.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:17 am

Nishankly wrote:
Babun wrote:Halle Bailey casted as ariel, the little mermaid for disney's next live action show which caused a racial shitstorm in the www:

Jesus was a scam
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:28 am

Nishankly wrote:

The technical term is whitewashing. The more extreme version would be blackfacing:
Spoiler:
Of all countries, the US shouldn't need any whitewashing or blackface characters except for parodies, for almost every ethnicity is present in the country.
BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Yeah, when your career can end over hearsay and no proof it's no wonder men are going to the extra mile to protect themselves. Still wouldn't say MeToo has hurt women though, it has been very effective at rooting out sexism out of many industries.

In general yes but the tool is also a double edged sword. At some point, they ought to reduce the collateral damage.
Warrior wrote:Those who ask for the white actor to not voice Cleveland anymore, if they follow this train of thought, they should ask for white actress playing Little Mermaid, and that gay actors should play only gay characters, and vice versa

Imo nobody should care. The political correctness is a slippery slope that leads directly in a big pile of crap. This is precisely what i expect society will become, if not offending anyone becomes the root of all things.

Spoiler:
PC is new censorship with unclear guidelines. They censor whatever doesn't fit the agenda/narrative.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:39 am

Warrior wrote:Those who ask for the white actor to not voice Cleveland anymore, if they follow this train of thought, they should ask for white actress playing Little Mermaid, and that gay actors should play only gay characters, and vice versa

I'm not sure if being "offended" is the right way to feel about these things, but it's not really my job to gatekeep or otherwise tell people, especially people of underrepresented sexuality, skin color, etc. what to think or feel.

With that being said, I'm not sure that you have to be offended to personally think that this isn't a bad idea.

We've lived in a culture that has now long kept gays, lesbians, transgender people, Black Americans, Native Americans etc out of roles they would have been perfect for. We gave those roles to white/straight/binary people instead.

With society progressing, especially socially, shouldn't we try and fix this inequality? Isn't it a good idea to be like: holy fuck, there are a lot of gay actors out there: let's give the role to someone who is actually gay.

I think that's valiant. We should open up space for queer and BIPOC to make waves in the entertainment industry and beyond. And I say that as someone who has no problem with Chalamet/Hammer in CMBYN, or Portman/Kunis in Black Swan, Ledger/Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain. It doesn't personally "offend" me at all.

In general, can we appreciate the recent proliferation in queer love stories? I mean, goddamn, I can't recall the last great straight romance I watched (maybe La La Land)...but just within the last couple years: CMBYN, Moonlight, and Lady of a Portrait on Fire are all absolutely fantastic. Queer love stories right now are killing it in a way that other romances really aren't, for me.

Tl;Dr striving for representation from underrepresented groups doesn't have to be PC, doesn't have to "offend" anyone, to be a cause that's worthy of celebrating or striving towards.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:42 am

I'm not sure why white people should give a shit anyway?

Hollywood isn't about to stop casting straight white people, who still make up the vast, vast majority of roles in Hollywood. There is plenty of opportunity to go around. How about we, you know, share it with the people that have either intentionally or unintentionally been shat on for a good portion of their entire existence.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:45 am

Nishankly wrote:

Jesus isnt real but if he was, I wouldnt say he was dark skinned. Passages from the bible say he was "dark as an olive" but their olives weren't really dark, quite light rather. So light brown is what I'd tilt towards.

Besides, he was a "middle-eastern Jew" and they can be pretty white, such as this 100% middle-eastern jew girl:
Spoiler:

In fact, it is widely known that Jews consider themselves white even though they have an olive complexion.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:03 am

I don't know the official statistics, but I believe it was Ben Shapiro who said that the portion of jews that are, in fact, white was a really small percentage (less than 3%, if I'm not mistaken). I imagine that percentage was even smaller back during Jesus' time, if white jews even existed back then.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 am

But they weren't dark nor Arab, they were mostly olive. There is no evidence that he was dark. He wasn't pale white either, something in between.

I've seen paintings where he isn't really depicted as pale:
Political Correctness, LGBTQ, #meToo and other related topics Jesus%2BChrist%2B940871955_c6217563a4_o

Obviously europeans made art back then with european standards of beauty. That's natural.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:18 am

Over 80 people dead in clashes in Ethiopia between the largest minority group and government forces / pro-government people. Obviously no BLM people care about it since it happens in Africa and is black-on-black violence.

Side note: Checked out Ethiopia's wikipedia and their population has risen from 38m in 1983 to 110m in 2018... Fuck me, no wonder that prosperity cannot keep up with that kind of reproduction rate.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:24 am

Myesyats wrote:
Nishankly wrote:

Jesus isnt real but if he was, I wouldnt say he was dark skinned. Passages from the bible say he was "dark as an olive" but their olives weren't really dark, quite light rather. So light brown is what I'd tilt towards.

Besides, he was a "middle-eastern Jew" and they can be pretty white, such as this 100% middle-eastern jew girl:
Spoiler:

In  fact, it is widely known that Jews consider themselves white even though they have an olive complexion.

The irony is the genetically closest to old school jews are modern Palestinians (look at dienekes' blog). They were dark skinned, as properly dark skinned as an arab. The migration towards Europe consisted mostly of men so on the way they married lots of South/Central European women. After the creation of modern day Israel, they settled in the new area. The Jews today from Europe or ex European jews in no way ressemble the original jews who migrated. The example pic is a bogus for that reason. Ethnicity!=religion.
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/06/two-major-groups-of-living-jews-atzmon.html
Art Morte wrote:Over 80 people dead in clashes in Ethiopia between the largest minority group and government forces / pro-government people. Obviously no BLM people care about it since it happens in Africa and is black-on-black violence.

Side note: Checked out Ethiopia's wikipedia and their population has risen from 38m in 1983 to 110m in 2018... Fuck me, no wonder that prosperity cannot keep up with that kind of reproduction rate.

Spoiler:
Another example where the symptoms are treated but not the real problem itself. The elephant in the room no one talks about is the pension/retirement money. People make lots of children in Africa because they're the ones who take care of the parents when they're old. One has to address that problem before anything else. I'd do the same if I lived in Africa, no one would care for me if I get old or sick except for my family members.

Last edited by Babun on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 24 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next