M99
Pedram
CBarca
The Demon of Carthage
Freeza
47 posters

Page 6 of 43 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24 ... 43  Next

Go down

USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread

Post by VivaStPauli Sun May 31, 2020 3:08 pm

FennecFox7 wrote:Yeah but who suffers when you burn down the city? The average American, the guy who put his life into his small business. Answer me this, how on earth are the police suffering when you burn down a Neiman marcus store?

I’m gonna trigger a shitton of people but here it is. I feel bad most for the successful, hard working black men who are excellent members of society. And there’s plenty of those to go around. It’s the trash that comes from the section 8 housing that eats pizza all day and plays video games that make the rest look bad. Those are the looters.

You can’t justify looting, stealing, and violence. In my county Algeria, there have been peaceful protests for more then a year now. Peaceful, education driven, secular and intelligent. You want to know what happened when we resorted to violence? MILLIONS of Algerians died in the war against France and the civil war.

I can’t stand people who berate this country. America has given my family and myself an opportunity to live a good life. I guess most of you haven’t lived in the dictatorship a country like mine has, so you don’t see how bad it can really get

You are VERY MUCH under-appreciating the difference in reaction the average racist reserves for those he perceives to be descendants of slaves, as opposed to other minorities. I'm white, and not from America, and still have in my time there seen a couple of instances, where people profiled black people, for example clutching their handbags, or quickly rolling up their windows, you know the drill - only to relax quite a bit when the same black person opened their mouth and spoke with an obviously foreign accent.
The reactions often were still not pretty, but less fearful, less judgmental, and a whole lot less aggressive.
For some reason there is a special kind of racism that is the most vitriolic and venomous kind, which is reserved for urban black Americans, especially those from low income inner city areas.

Well it's not "some" reasons, it's a well-researched subject. But I still feel this point should be made.

Edit: Obviously it's still better not to go looting, especially if it's hitting non-franchised stores. I just feel like it might be "worth it" by this point.

VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread

Post by Zagadka Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 pm

Dallas last night. Holy shit, I can't believe this guy survived in the end!

Zagadka
Zagadka
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really lost for words.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun May 31, 2020 3:55 pm

Something positive.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/30/us/clean-up-protests-trnd/index.html
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun May 31, 2020 4:02 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Absolutely no one here arguing against setting small businesses on fire said anything like that about those other moments

Correct. There are many people (read: racists) who think like this. None of those people are here, now that Unique is gone.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Sun May 31, 2020 4:09 pm

Dude brought a sword to a peaceful protest.
 USA Gun Violence & Police Brutality Thread - Page 6 Giphy

White supremacists really think we are playing with their asses in 2020.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Sun May 31, 2020 4:12 pm

Your resentment against white people is pretty clear at this point Rolling Eyes

So are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite ?
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun May 31, 2020 4:23 pm

CBarca wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:The actual fuck?!
The way the police is behaving, I say just keep burning stuff until the police changes. It seems to be the only way.

Edit: I'm reacting to the posts with videos of police behavior. I'm not disagreeing with myesyats in the sense that I don't think you should kill people. But by now, I understand and support a hearty dose of violence with those riots. You will not be heard without it.

As much of an advocate as I am for peaceful protest, I understand and even think a dose of the violent isn't unwarranted. But I wish it was targeted more directly at the places that are doing the harm. Massive amount of damage here in Madison, and primarily small business owners who don't really deserve it.

But that anger might go that way. I'm actually ok with some of that too. We as a community can rebuild those shops and help those owners. You cannot rebuild the lives our black citizens and the oppression they live under as well as the threat, sometimes life ending, of police brutality.

So yeah I'm even fine with some of that, too.

What pisses me off are the # of anarchists and Animal Crossing wanting selfish individuals who are taking this as an opportunity (see EG's language) to "fuck the system" who are only endangering black lives. They aren't allies. They're using this for their own gain.

As usual black people and poor people will be the ones who suffer for it. Especially in a place like my home, where many of the rioters were white.
I wonder what i have to gain.

You're in the front row seat. Go talk to your brothers in the streets who were rioting last night to get a feel of the pulse instead of having keyboard fingers.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Sun May 31, 2020 4:24 pm

Warrior wrote:Your resentment against white people is pretty clear at this point Rolling Eyes

So are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite ?

On the contrary. Look at the protests across America. White people have had enough of White supremacists too.

It shouldnt have took all of this for the police to charge their own for choking a man out for 9 minutes. It shouldnt have took any of this, but HERE we are.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun May 31, 2020 4:29 pm

The thugs have hijacked what should have been an opportunity to bring attention to a problem and drive a political solution.  That's gone.

If anything, everyone (in NYC at least) looks at African Americans with more suspicion than less.  It's palpable.  What actually caused all this unrest is now in the background.

Good job Antifa.  Good job.  You members were seen in NYC leading the riots and breaking things. Everyone else was just shouting and screaming (which is fine)... you had to bring criminality into it.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun May 31, 2020 4:44 pm

The "everyone" is only just you and a few idiots who engage in racial profiling.

Stop acting like GL's lone correspondent in New York lol.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun May 31, 2020 4:55 pm

M99 wrote:The "everyone" is only just you and a few idiots who engage in racial profiling.

"Everyone" is me walking around and seeing people give a wide berth and stare at every African American who walks in my neighborhood.  That's the reaction.  I'm actually here... not watching CNN or Fox or some other inane mass media channel.

-25% insulting other users
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun May 31, 2020 4:57 pm

sportsczy wrote:
M99 wrote:The "everyone" is only just you and a few idiots who engage in racial profiling.

Go fuck yourself.

"Everyone" is me walking around and seeing people give a wide berth and stare at every Afircan American who walks in my neighborhood.  That's the reaction. I'm actually here... not watching CNN or Fox or some other inane mass media channel.

Damn, you really stepped up to the plate after Unique got banned.

He really made you seem less terrible by comparison
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Sun May 31, 2020 4:58 pm

sportsczy wrote:

Go fuck yourself.

"Everyone" is me walking around and seeing people give a wide berth and stare at every Afircan American who walks in my neighborhood.  That's the reaction.  I'm actually here... not watching CNN or Fox or some other inane mass media channel.

Dont you live on the Upper west side though? I mean, whether or not these protests happened folks were going to stare at black folks there. Hell, even with all the Chinese people buying up land up there when I take my Japanese ass through there folks stare. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun May 31, 2020 4:58 pm

Just to share something that isn't all terrible from the protests:
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun May 31, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm not the one staring them down. I have no problem at all. I'm just observing how other people are reacting.

I'm not happy about it at all. This whole racial divide thing is absolutely stupid. We're all people.

And calling both Fennec and I "racist" is pretty hilarious.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun May 31, 2020 5:01 pm

Young Kaz wrote:
sportsczy wrote:

Go fuck yourself.

"Everyone" is me walking around and seeing people give a wide berth and stare at every Afircan American who walks in my neighborhood.  That's the reaction.  I'm actually here... not watching CNN or Fox or some other inane mass media channel.

Dont you live on the Upper west side though? I mean, whether or not these protests happened folks were going to stare at black folks there. Hell, even with all the Chinese people buying up land up there when I take my Japanese ass through there folks stare. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I live in Brooklyn.  2 years ago, I lived 4 blocks from the Barclays Center in Park Slope.  Now I live in Williamsburg.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun May 31, 2020 5:04 pm

RealGunner wrote:The entire last few pages have been an absolute shitshow.

Well, it's the message board equivalence of a riot

Makes no sense to expect temperance, restraint, and purposefulness from a riot

riots are omnidirectional, out of bounds, nonsensically violent

hitting the wrong targets is part and parcel

it's like back when people rioted in London and all they burned down was the warehouse containing the whole back catalogue of Rough Trade and all other indie music vinyl

thank you very much you fucks

and in a consumerist society, rioters are going to loot a PlayStation and a flat sceen TV, it is what it is
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sun May 31, 2020 5:17 pm

More thoughts and stuff I want to share about what's going on:

People have asked what it would take to enact true police reform to make things better for black people in this country, this is a start:

I can't speak to the other cities, but it appears increasingly likely that the property damage in Minneapolis was done by people not from that city:

There have been echoes that right-wing groups (loyal to Trump) have infiltrated the protests and are causing the property damage, there's also talk that far-left groups such as ANTIFA have done it, which has merit as they have hijacked peaceful protests in the past. There's even talk that plain clothes police officers are instigating the damage to feed the narrative that the protestors are turning into rioters. Either way you slice it, it doesn't look like the organizers of these initially peaceful protests in Minneapolis are telling their folks to destroy shit. These protests are being sabotaged and targeted by opportunists. No one is destroying their own communities in Minneapolis. People appear to be coming from the outside and doing it. That changes everything.

A longer thought that I keep coming back to: I wish it didn't take destruction of property for black people to be heard (even now we still aren't being heard given how violent the police have gotten), but this is what happens when peaceful protests fail to enact change. People harken back to the days of MLK for their examples of "peaceful, non-violent" protests. They conveniently leave out the fact that it was white people (including the police) who instigated the violence, siccing dogs, water hoses, billy clubs, and even shooting protests outright. They made these initially non-violent protests, violent. Not the protesters.

Colin Kaepernick's protest was peaceful and non-violent and yet he lost a lot in doing it. People derided him, berated him, and called him disrespectful to our flag and military. Players who joined him in solidarity were called thugs and sons of bitches by the President of this country. We asked then: If kneeling isn't the right way to protest. What is? The answer was silence. Absolute crickets. Why? Because there isn't a "right way" for black people to protest centuries of brutality at the hands of white people in all positions of society. When we are effectively told that everyway we've tried to protest peacefully is wrong, why are the privileged clutching their pearls given riots have become the last resort to being heard?

Today is the 99th anniversary of the Tulsa Massacre of 1921 (aka the Tulsa Race Riots). Many of you remember this now because it served as the backdrop to the recent 1st season of Watchmen. Specifically, the Greenwood neighborhood of Tulsa was a thriving area of black-owned and operated businesses, generated a lot of wealth for that community and for Tulsa in general. It was the most successful black community in the country at that time. Until the white community in Tulsa took umbrage. They couldn't stand seeing black people succeed so they escalated an alleged incident between a black man and a white female elevator operator. Those white men intended to lynch that black man and the Greenwood community came to his aid. For that, the white community of Tulsa, along with the police, burned down that community and killed scores of black people, destroying their lives and their wealth for generations.

This is a super ugly chapter in American history that whites (who control our educational institutions) have successfully suppressed and kept out of the national conscience for a century. They tell us that we should honor our history (like confederate statues) while also re-writing it to whitewash was done to slaves, freedman, Native Americans, early Chinese, Hispanics and every other non-white race who dared make something of themselves early on in this nation's history. Why do they do this? Shame? Maybe. Embarrassment? Perhaps. I don't know honestly and I really don't care at this point. White people control nearly all of the levers of power in this country. They control it with their absurd wealth (CEOs, billionaires, hedge fund managers), political influence (Congressional leadership, the White House, Supreme Court, Governors), and their brute strength (police departments, national guard, the military). Do POC hold positions of power in these institutions? Sure they do. Do enough of them? Not nearly. That's a problem. Had Tulsa's city leadership been integrated, the massacre probably wouldn't have happened.

Minnesota is like 80% white. That means their police forces are majority white. Many of these police officers do not live in Minneapolis. They live in the surrounding suburbs. Same here in Detroit. They are charged with policing people they have no real understanding of. Because there is this fear of the unknown, their default mode is attack mode. Because they lacked true exposure to these communities early on in life. When you lack that exposure, that ability to form relationships with communities that don't resemble yours, it's easy to dehumanize entire communities very easily. That is why Derek Chauvin had no problem slowly killing George Floyd, why 3 white men murdered Ahmaud Arbery in broad daylight then tried to smear his name posthumously to justify it, why cops burst into Breonna Taylor's home, riddled her with bullets and then arrested her boyfriend for the audacity of trying to protect her and himself from intruders into their home. None of these victims were seen as human beings. They were all seen as yet another number, a statistic in a system full of them. Police officers in departments all over this country, in communities both conservative and liberal, rural and urban, poor and wealthy see black people like Floyd, Taylor, Arbery and so many others exactly the same way. It's how they were trained. De-escalation always takes a backseat to escalation when non-white faces are involved. Because they fear the unknown and so they attack it. This programming must change. Levers of power (again controlled by whites) have so far refused to do so. They show no real sign of that changing unfortunately.

I hate to see property destroyed, but here is where my thoughts are right this minute:

Last edited by McLewis on Sun May 31, 2020 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Kaz Sun May 31, 2020 5:19 pm

sportsczy wrote:
Young Kaz wrote:
sportsczy wrote:
Go fuck yourself.

I live in Brooklyn.  2 years ago, I lived 4 blocks from the Barclays Center in Park Slope.  Now I live in Williamsburg.

I was in park slope maybe 2017-ish. Went to a chinese place on central avenue(I wont name them but you should know who they are Laughing )

Im looking for some eats and I take my ass in there like 10 pm at night. Waiter looked me up and down a real long time. Probably trying to make sure their initial assumption about me(I look Yamato as fuck) was correct. . They ask my name. Me knowing the game tell them Park. The guy still looking at me like im bullshitting takes the order and whatever and we begin spitting the shit. He asks me about the korean chicks, I ask him about the Chinese breezys and its all sweet.

I pay, have to use a card and when they take it old dude looks at it and say very loud to where the cooks can hear KAZUHIKO?!.

I was like yeah maybe its an old Korean name.

Homie gave me the:

look and I knew when I got out of there I was gonna have to trash that food. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fun part of town....Im probably gonna order some chinese food for dinner.

Young Kaz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun May 31, 2020 5:27 pm

NY's whole charm is how everyone from every culture manage to get mostly along and make it work.

This racial crap goes against everything the city is about (these days) and why people like me come here.

I hate racism... when I saw the police brutality, my reaction wasn't "look at what this white officer is doing to this black man"... it was "how can one human being do this to another".

That's what it all should be about: We're all human beings. Race is made up to me.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun May 31, 2020 5:31 pm

Just because race is a social construct, doesn't mean it's made up. It's very real and ignoring it is very ignorant and irresponsible.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun May 31, 2020 5:34 pm

That's your response... who said to ignore it as a problem? My point was that it's a man-made fabrication lol and not an absolute. You have the ability to see things through the lens of race or not.

Dear god man.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun May 31, 2020 5:40 pm

sportsczy wrote:That's your response... who said to ignore it as a problem?  My point was that it's a man-made fabrication lol and not an absolute.  You have the ability to see things through the lens of race or not.

Dear god man.

How do you arrive at the point that you respond to people protesting racism with telling them to stop seeing race as an "absolute"?
Makes no sense whatsoever. That's the entire point lol.
Injustice, exploitation and crime based on racist beliefs is a fact, a reality, and the fact that these beliefs are, yes, "made up", doesn't change anything about that reality.

What's so hard to get about that?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun May 31, 2020 5:52 pm

sportsczy wrote:NY's whole charm is how everyone from every culture manage to get mostly along and make it work.

This racial crap goes against everything the city is about (these days) and why people like me come here.

I hate racism... when I saw the police brutality, my reaction wasn't "look at what this white officer is doing to this black man"... it was "how can one human being do this to another".

That's what it all should be about: We're all human beings. Race is made up to me.
Sure. But unfortunately for your dying obsession of trying to hold together that fantasy utopia you hold in your head NYC isn't the only place on planet Earth, and their have been multiple instances throughout history in which white cops have harassed and killed black men in particular.

Can't want to be oblivious to race when whole societal structures have been built on it and its histories.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
sportsczy wrote:That's your response... who said to ignore it as a problem?  My point was that it's a man-made fabrication lol and not an absolute.  You have the ability to see things through the lens of race or not.

Dear god man.

How do you arrive at the point that you respond to people protesting racism with telling them to stop seeing race as an "absolute"?
Makes no sense whatsoever. That's the entire point lol.
Injustice, exploitation and crime based on racist beliefs is a fact, a reality, and the fact that these beliefs are, yes, "made up", doesn't change anything about that reality.

What's so hard to get about that?

And my point is that, as long as you define either the problem or the solution in the context of "race", you'll always see everything as a racial issue. Once you define things in the context of humanity, but understand that there are racial overtones, you can then solve the problem and begin to move away from racism.

My stance is that we're all human beings and that's my context. It removes all the excess baggage. That's just me. You don't have to agree with it.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 43 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24 ... 43  Next