Robespierre
Myesyats
Nishankly
23 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Top 5 TV series - Page 4 Empty Re: Top 5 TV series

Post by elitedam Tue May 12, 2020 3:42 am

I really liked The Pacific but Band of Brothers is on another level. I didn't see a lot of good vs evil in BoB. There were a lot of gray areas in that show.

I think we should have miniseries in a different list. It's hard to compare them with multiple-season TV shows.

elitedam
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Tue May 12, 2020 3:52 am

1. Breaking Bad
2. Fargo (S1)
3. The Last Kingdom
4. True Detective (S1)
5. The X-Files
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue May 12, 2020 4:52 am

What's B-B-9? hmm

Anyway I feel surprised noone 's included Mindhunter or Ozrak in their top 5. not even one nomination

Personally I haven't seen noone of 2 (well I left Mindhunter after 4 eps tbf) but I've always heard good things about these by many tbf

Breaking Bad's first place was expected instead
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 12, 2020 4:59 am

brooklyn 99

Mindhunter season 1 is exceptional but it takes a while before you get into it. First 4 episodes is the worst of it since it's establishing characters. After that when they start doing interviews etc it gets amazing. Season 2 isn't that good IMO.

Everyone knows I am not a fan of breaking bad (original hater on GL) but i need to rewatch it and watch it properly this time just to see what i think of it now.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:00 am

have you ever tried out Better Call Saul, R to the G?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:02 am

No but i will since it's so hyped.

Tbh mate I really can't get into TV shows these days nor movies. I must have seen 2-3 shows in the last 6 months.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue May 12, 2020 5:04 am

Yep but I don't think to have read it by someone hmm
RealGunner wrote:brooklyn 99

Mindhunter season 1 is exceptional but it takes a while before you get into it. First 4 episodes is the worst of it since it's establishing characters. After that when they start doing interviews etc it gets amazing. Season 2 isn't that good IMO.

Everyone knows I am not a fan of breaking bad (original hater on GL) but i need to rewatch it and watch it properly this time just to see what i think of it now.

You' re the greatest English intellectual alive IMO
I feel alone in this stack of heretics and suddenly I find out that RG was the original hater :bow:
I dislike BC and at same time I've loved BCS ,is it normal ? Imo yes,  I've already explained my good reasons smoking

Last edited by Robespierre on Tue May 12, 2020 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue May 12, 2020 5:05 am

Robespierre wrote:What's B-B-9? hmm

Brooklyn Nine nine ffs
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue May 12, 2020 5:08 am

Nishankly wrote:

Brooklyn Nine nine ffs

Yep, but not put on classification because you didn't write it hmm
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:09 am

RealGunner wrote:No but i will since it's so hyped.

Tbh mate I really can't get into TV shows these days nor movies. I must have seen 2-3 shows in the last 6 months.

seems to come in phases
luckily im deep into tv shows lately now that im out of my movie phase
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue May 12, 2020 5:15 am

Why did you never finish Mr Robot? Most of us were irritated at season 2 but you loved it. Season 3 and 4 are the best seasons. S4 Ep 5, S4 Ep 7 and the series finale are among the best ever TV episodes I've ever seen.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Tue May 12, 2020 5:16 am

Do you watch tv series in original language or dubbed in your language ? Well I suppose it's mainly a matter for who is not Anglophone here (mmm not many , but try. Well Dark was German series though)
Personally I always hear in original language, seriously I hate dubbing. Not all  have same opinion though. For example my sister can talk both Italian and German but yet he heard Dark in ... Italian   :facepalm:  because she dislikes subtitles. I know 0 German words ( except Schadenfreude ) but yet I listened in German with Italian subs.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:21 am

dubbed is mostly always terrible for movies and tv shows with humans in them.

dubbed only feels okay with anime for me.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue May 12, 2020 5:22 am

Robespierre wrote:
Nishankly wrote:

Brooklyn Nine nine ffs

Yep, but not put on classification because you didn't write it hmm

Don't do this to me Sad((
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:23 am

M99 wrote:

Why did you never finish Mr Robot? Most of us were irritated at season 2 but you loved it. Season 3 and 4 are the best seasons. S4 Ep 5, S4 Ep 7 and the series finale are among the best ever TV episodes I've ever seen.

Yea man I heard how amazing the final season is. When season 3 came out i think i was really disinterested in TV so i didn't bother and then when 4 came out i wanted it to finish so i can binge both seasons but didn't get a chance.

I really thought i would start it few months ago but somehow didn't. It's strange since i am a massive fan of the show Laughing Season 1 n 2 are easily top 5.

I will get on that after peaky blinders S5.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue May 12, 2020 5:26 am

Peaky Blinders is a great show but it won't reach a top 5 since every episode is very intensive based on previous episodes.

I can't start a random episode of PB in a random season without context which is why imho it loses out.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:28 am

Robespierre wrote:Do you watch tv series in original language or dubbed in your language ? Well I suppose it's mainly a matter for who is not Anglophone here (mmm not many , but try. Well Dark was German series though)
Personally I always hear in original language, seriously I hate dubbing. Not all  have same opinion though. For example my sister can talk both Italian and German but yet he heard Dark in ... Italian   :facepalm:  because she dislikes subtitles. I know 0 German words ( except Schadenfreude ) but yet I listened in German with Italian subs.

Never dubbed. It's awful. Movies, Tv shows, anime. It just feels so unnatural.

I have seen Spanish, Korean, Indian, Japanese, Arabic, Persian and Turkish shows and all in original languages.

But i find German and French really difficult languages to listen to. Only reason which put me off Dark is due to that but i think it's just irrational fear of not liking it and dropping it.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue May 12, 2020 5:30 am

There is no Indian language just saying.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 am

List ten of your favorite TV episodes. Made one ep per show to avoid my list to be filled with Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad - Ozymandias
Mr Robot - 407 Proxy Authentication Required
The Sopranos - Pine Barrens
Mad Men - The Door
Game Of Thrones - The Laws Of Gods And Men
Bojack Horseman - The View From Halfway Down
Better Call Saul - Bagman
Fargo - Buridan's Ass
Black Mirror - White Christmas
True Detective - The Secret Fate Of All Life

Interesting that I don't have a single Wire episode despite it being in my top 5. The series as a whole was amazing but I can only single out the finales as special eps.

Hon Mentions: BOB - Bastogne, Avatar - Tales Of Ba Sing Se, The Americans - START

Last edited by M99 on Tue May 12, 2020 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:32 am

I feel like Dark started to get too crazy and complicated with the time travel stuff, so i left it on S02E01
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue May 12, 2020 5:36 am

RealGunner wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Do you watch tv series in original language or dubbed in your language ? Well I suppose it's mainly a matter for who is not Anglophone here (mmm not many , but try. Well Dark was German series though)

I have seen Spanish, Korean, Indian, Japanese, Arabic, Persian and Turkish shows and all in original languages.  

Same, but I'm not that strict when it comes to anime. When its set in Japan with Japanese characters its sub or nothing for me (which is 90% of the time). But when its Western influenced sometimes I prefer English dub. FMA Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing Ultimate, Howl's Moving Castle, I watched all of them dubbed.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:38 am

Hard to make a top 5 list. TWD would have easily been in it for me but i stopped watching and it's shit now but the first 5-6 seasons were 10/10. How do you rate something like that?

1) True Detective S1
2) House MD
3) Game of Thrones
4) The Office US
5) Lost

HM: The Walking Dead, Arrested Development, Dexter, Inbetweeners, Dead like me, Skins, Prison Break, Daredevil.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:40 am

M99 wrote:
RealGunner wrote:

Same, but I'm not that strict when it comes to anime. When its set in Japan with Japanese characters its sub or nothing for me (which is 90% of the time). But when its Western influenced sometimes I prefer English dub. FMA Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing Ultimate, Howl's Moving Castle, I watched all of them dubbed.

The older animes have amazing dubs tbh so i agree. cowboy bebop, trigun, outlaw star all have superior dubs. No idea why they are so cringe worthy now.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Tue May 12, 2020 5:46 am

Nishankly wrote:
Nishankly wrote:
Blue wrote:The Sopranos
Seinfeld
The Wire
Dexter(1-4S)
Rectify

HM: The Haunting of House Hill, Breaking Bad, and The Pacific.

The Pacific is superior to Band of Brothers; BOB falls in line with most of Hollywood superficial depictions of war- Honor, valor, commodity, good vs evil, etc.

The Pacific depicts war as hell on earth, those premises are meaningless.

Good argument on the Pacific.

-----

Robes, can I get a free pass and include a nomination for Brooklyn Nine-Nine?

Back on the Pacific argument, I agree. Pacific is more about the war and the mayhem, the reason Band of Brothers is more popular is because it tells you the story of a company from start to finish you get attached to them like you're a member of the Easy company travelling through their story.

Pacific on the other hand is individual guys with no glorification. I think its probably because Pacific is also a culmination of separate stories while BoB already had a few books on the company, plus those guys were still alive to give inputs when the series aired?

That said both were totally different types of wars. Pacific was quite a lot of mayhem and it has been excellently portrayed in the series.

Fair assessment, and i agree.

I like BOB, it is spectacular achievement in Tv. I guess in the end i have been fed so many of these types.

They are very different not only the war is different, but also the unit are too. BOB follows an Airborne unit, so they go(assault) from one point to another. Not much of patrol and hold like a conventional unit. Also the 101st Easy compony are very renowned and glorified. While The Pacific follows a more conventional unit.

I found The Pacific to be very unique in the sense that the brutality and mayhem of it is on another level. And yes the focus is more on war than the individuals. Where the enemy is not only your opposition but the environment, weather, comrades, and yourself.

There is a quote in the series where a fresh PFC sledge asks Philips what is battle like. He responds

" I slept with a woman in Melbourne. I'm not braggin', but that's at one end, right?....And then way down there, as far as you can go, that's what it's like. And that... that you can never imagine."

I felt The Pacific takes you as far as possible to that end.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue May 12, 2020 5:46 am

M99 wrote:List ten of your favorite TV episodes. Made one ep per show to avoid my list to be filled with Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad - Ozymandias
Mr Robot - 407 Proxy Authentication Required
The Sopranos - Pine Barrens
Mad Men - The Door
Game Of Thrones - The Laws Of Gods And Men
Bojack Horseman - The View From Halfway Down
Better Call Saul - Bagman
Fargo - Buridan's Ass
Black Mirror - White Christmas
True Detective - The Secret Fate Of All Life

Interesting that I don't have a single Wire episode despite it being in my top 5. The series as a whole was amazing but I can only single out the finales as special eps.

shit man you got this down to the tee, i dont remember episode names anymore.

I can say i loved that first wacky drug tripping episode of Mr Robot where Elliot goes through a lot of "dreams/flashbacks" and Angela tells him "You're not Elliot, so who the fuck are you" in the arcade - i think it was in season 1.

I also loved the one where Fernando and his brother kidnaps Shayla and forces Elliot to break him out of prison. That episode was nonstop from start to finish. And of course we all know that ending too.

My favourite Black Mirror is Be Right Back with Domhnall Gleeson.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Tue May 12, 2020 5:48 am

I just noticed i didn't include Six feet under on my honorable list.
Blue
Blue
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next