General Games Discussion

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by Lord Spencer on Thu May 21, 2020 11:03 pm

Finally, we are down to the supposedly top 10 Sega Saturn games. At least, this is the top 10 according to the Retro Sanctuary list I have been using all this time. Since I already played enough Saturn games to make my own top 10 list, I cannot say that I agree with this selection, but that's going to be the subject of my own top 10 list.

To be fair to Retro Sanctuary's selection, the games here are important from a historical perspective regarding the console as a whole. There are two major Arcade ports of famous Sega games (Virtua Fighter 2 and Sega Rally), two games in the mythical Panzer Dragoon series, and the obligatory Japan only 2D games (a fighting game and a Shmup). Then there is NiGHTS Into Dreams, the biggest selling game on the console. Yet, the inclusion of three 3D games, all of which have significantly superior ports in other consoles, significantly devalues this list. Especially when you consider the fact that pushes Shining Force III from the top 10.

With that being said, here is a quick report on each game on this list.

Please enjoy:-

10- Tomb Raider (1996):

• Genre: Action Adventure

• Publisher: Eidos Interactive; Developer: Core Design.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 RgTLRVz

It is no secret that Tomb Raider is one of the most important early 3D games. It introduced many elements that were then subsequently copied in other 3D games and is generally considered as a historically important game. It is also no secret that its sequels on the PS1 (which were not released on the Saturn) massively improved over the original in every way.

With that, we are left with only the first game. Yet, due to releasing earlier on the Saturn, the game had a weaker performance compared to the PS1 despite supposedly designed with port parity in mind.

These are two major reasons why I think an inferior port of a game that was clearly bested by its own sequels in the same generation shouldn't be considered as a top 10 Sega Saturn game.

9- PowerSlave (1996):

• Genre: FPS

• Publisher: Playmates Interactive; Developer: Lobotomy Software.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 EKa7knU

By all accounts, PowerSlave is a technical marvel on the Sega Saturn. It's a first-person game that works really well on the console. It's also a first-person game that worked better when ported to the PC and the PS1.

Again, I am left confused about why a non-exclusive game with superior ports elsewhere is considered among the top 10 Saturn games. This, of course, betrays the relative strength of the Saturn's library, but there are several games I would put ahead of it.

Also, the game plays terribly now, so there is that.

8- Radiant Silvergun (1998): Japan-Only

• Genre: Shmup.

• Publisher: Entertainment Software Publishing; Developer: Treasure.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 VEG8Yk6

Despite being published only in Japan, Radiant Silvergun had such a stellar reputation that it was widely ported West and even covered in official review outlets. This reputation is why I ended up reviewing the game, making it my only import review.

Of course, this meant that I didn't get much from the game's story, which was more involved than your usual Shump. However, this game is not legendary in the genre due to its story, but due to its excellent gameplay. Giving you access to all weapons at once, the game is more concerned with the player mastering these weapons than begging for drops. This is needed against the increasingly difficult and intense bosses, which are a hallmark of Treasure's gaming design.

As a genre outsider, I think that the accessibility features are what differentiates this game from others. It has several difficulty options, and the weapon upgrades as you play, making the game easier and beatable even if you exhaust all your continues. While I am sure that my appreciation for the game is to a lesser degree than genre fans, I actually can identify how it is a top tier Shmup, and a top game for the Saturn as a result.

7- Resident Evil (1997):

• Genre: Survival Horror.

• Publisher: Capcom; Developer: Capcom.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 PzX1Llj

Everything I said about Tomb Raider is equally valid here. After all, the first Resident Evil game itself was superseded by its remake on the GameCube.

However, when talking about the Saturn port of the game, it is actually a bit better than the PS1 version (and it released a year later). It came with slightly touched-up graphics, but also with some extra modes and monsters as well.

Regardless, the game was subsequently improved-upon in every way with Resident Evil 2 which was not released for the console.

6- Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1999): Japan Only

• Genre: Fighting.

• Publisher: Capcom; Developer: Capcom.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 DSq7Q1I

Street Fighter Alpha 3 is arguably the best fighting game released on the Saturn. Surely, it is the game with the best graphics and animations, as well as being one of the best ports of a widely admired fighting game. Unfortunately and rather predictably, the game was never ported west (by 1999, the Saturn was already dead in the states).

Still, I don't think the late date had anything to do with it. In fact, none of the other 2D fighting games covered in the Retro Sanctuary list were ported West despite being the best console versions available. As such, the console didn't fulfill its potential as the go-to fighting game console, even if that title would have gone to the Neo Geo in the end.

5- NiGHTS into Dream (1996):

• Genre: Action.

• Publisher: Sega; Developer: Sega.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 MDtQefu

In an alternate universe where Sega made sense as a company, NiGHTS would have been released alongside a Sonic game, complimenting its sales and propelling the Saturn in its early years. However, that wasn't the case, and NiGHTS was left shouldering the burden of selling Sega's console in the absences of its most iconic mascot.

Both critically and sales-wise, the game succeeded, becoming the highest-selling game on the system and one of its best-reviewed games. Personally, I didn't care much for the game and I think it failed at convincing Sonic fans to get into the Saturn.

I think the game had some unique ideas executed well, but that it ultimately was lacking in content and wasn't equal to Sonic in neither style nor substance.

4- Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei (1996):

• Genre: Rail Shooter.

• Publisher: Sega; Developer: Sega (Team Andromeda).

General Games Discussion - Page 16 4CoHWty

The Sega Saturn's answer to Nintendo's Starfox 64; Panzer Dragoon II is the second Rail Shooter game in its franchise and a much-improved sequel at that. Taking place in a mysterious world infested with biotechnological monsters, the game has a haunting visual atmosphere that is still effective today despite its aged graphics. Thankfully, the game's visuals are accompanied by an excellent unique soundtrack.

Gameplay-wise, the game is more involved than your usual arcade Rail Shooters, tasking the player with keeping track of four quadrants as well as giving the player more movement options. As such, the game doesn't suffer for lacking a Rail gun and is fun to play with any regular controller.

Just like the first game was recently remade for modern consoles, this sequel also has a planned remake and I am excited about it.

3- Sega Rally Championship (1995):

• Genre: Racing.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 OF4k0TI

Here is a game that announced the Saturn to the world, it is an almost arcade-perfect port of the Sega Rally arcade sensation. It looks great (and it didn't age badly at all) and controls better. There is a satisfying feeling to the driving that envokes the dirt and struggle of Rally racing. Unfortunately, I think Sega took the wrong lessons regarding its success.

Sega thought the success of Sega Rally Championship was purely due to it being a very faithful arcade port, not the fact that it was an early game showcasing the system's power, but also one that should promise more substantive sequels in the future. After all, the game has only two cars and three tracks. No matter how good the racing is, that's a very limited content for a full-priced game.

Yet, Sega continued to port their arcade games with minimal alterations and limited content.

2- Virtua Fighter 2 (1995):

• Genre: Fighting.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 T20oQze

The Virtua Fighter and Tekken franchises are the pillars of 3D fighters, with former created by Sega for its Arcades and consoles and the latter finding its home on Arcades and the PS1. Initially, the advantage in both graphics and gameplay was with Virtua Fighter, as can be seen with Virtua Fighter 2.

By nearly all metrics, Virtua Fighter 2 looked and played better than anything Tekken related, even on the Saturn where the Arcade version was amazingly ported. Comparing the two franchises, Virtua Fighter focuses more on fighting game fundamentals than the flashier and combo heavy Tekken series, and that worked well before the 3D technology advanced enough.

However, one thing the Tekken series did from the onset was to have a story for all of their colorful characters, expanding the appeal of the fighting genre beyond the competitive players. This continued with every sequel until the release of Tekken 3 simply surpassed anything Sega made.

Simply put, while Virtua Fighter 2 and Sega were content with having a strong fighting game for genre fans, one without even a training mode, Tekken continued to expand the genre and have more character development and single-player content. I think it is telling that supposedly the best fighting game on the Saturn is so stuck in the past while the best fighting game on the PS1 was making a new standard for the future.

1- Panzer Dragoon Saga (1998):

• Genre: RPG.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 Y6b5iU1

With their first two Panzer Dragoon games, Team Andromeda crafted a unique and mysterious world that unfortunately could not be satisfactorily expanded upon in Rail Shooter games. Yet, the need to expand upon that world was obviously so great that the next game in the series became an RPG.

As such, one of the most mysterious and critically lauded RPGs was made.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is a hugely ambitious game despite being short for an RPG and contained in its story and location. It is probably one of the first games that aimed to be a "cinematic" experience. The story is revealed in so many CGI and in-engine cutscenes that the game occupied four CDs, All dialogue was voiced, including simple conversations with NPCs. And, if you look closely at each scene, you see how the team managed to convey nuance and emotion through actual and realistic "acting".

Within that ambitious experiment, there was a well-crafted world with interesting lore and characters. Also, there was an amazing turn-based battle system based completely on the rider and his dragon, and in that way, it was a perfect tribute to the first two games. Even though I may prefer Shining Force III over Panzer Dragoon Saga, there is no question that this is the Saturn's best game. From a historical perspective, it outdoes any game released at that time in terms of production, and it plays great even now.

This is exactly the kind of game Sega should have focused on if they wanted to compete in the console space. Something that couldn't be emulated in the Arcade floor, but something that unraveled its mysteries in your home, amazing you wth what video games can offer beyond chasing a high score.

This report is a consolidated review of the top 100 list by Retro Sanctuary. It features the reviews I made for the list but also has a brief paragraph about each game on the list that I didn't review. For games without an official review, the opinions I express are purely based on some little playing time and general research about the game and its reception at the time.

Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon on Fri May 22, 2020 1:03 am

Your last few posts make me really want to play pqnzer dragoon saga (for the first time) Thumbs up
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto on Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 pm

Guys I have a question.

Finally beginning MGSV Definitive Edition (playing a game after 2 years post TW3).

I remember we used to download games onto the PS3 so it could run smoother but,

I have a physical MGSV copy and can you download/install the physical copy onto the drive?

Yes I know you cannot play without the disk but can you download it and play with the disc?

I am not to learned on the knowledge of the PS4.

Thanks,

Arquitecto
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Sociedad

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Sat May 23, 2020 3:08 am

Very few games allow you to install them on the hard drive. MGSV: Phantom Pain and Ground Zeros are both on the streaming service, Playstation Now, and you can choose between either streaming or downloading the newer games on there.

I know that doesn’t really help you if you own the physical copy already - but if you plan on buying a particular game in the future, I would advice looking it up in the PS Now library. Subscribing to it for one, or a few months costs less than buying a brand new game, and all PS4, as well some PS3 games in the library can be downloaded directly to your console. I know some people prefer to own a physical copy, if only for the principle of actually «owning the game», but I personally don’t care for those anymore.

The library also has a lot of games that I’ve seen people on here play or mention, like the Bioshock and Fallout series, Red Dead Redemption, GTA 3-5, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Dishonored, and even Control. I’ve been a bit hesitant to mention PS Now on here, because it feels like I’m advertising them as if I’m sponsored by them. I’ve found that it’s pretty great bang for buck, though. A lot of the older games in the library are awful, but there are also a lot of good ones in it.

World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat May 23, 2020 4:51 am

If i didn't know any better I'd think Thimmy worked for Sony with how often he hypes PS Now.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Sat May 23, 2020 6:48 am

That’s why I’ve refrained from mentioning it Rolling Eyes It’s not for everyone, and the selection of new PS4 games is pretty slim, but I typically spend less than a month on finishing games myself, so it’s a lot cheaper than buying the games new. I’ve also used it a lot when there’s been a drought in anything else I’m interested in.

World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto on Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 am

So basically I will assume you cannot install the hard disc onto the console since my reason was to optimise it similar to how it worked in XBOX 360 and PS3. Great answer btw Thimmy thank you again Thumbs up

Arquitecto
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Sociedad

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat May 23, 2020 12:10 pm

Started Nier. Can't remember the last time i played a game like this lol. Maybe Ratchet n pleb in 2016.

I like it though so far.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica on Sat May 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Funny to see people change games like socks. I'm still going at 238 hours with Bannerlord, and the game isn't even finished yet. But that's the difference of playing games, rather than gaming plays.

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat May 23, 2020 1:55 pm

@RealGunner wrote:Started Nier. Can't remember the last time i played a game like this lol. Maybe Ratchet n pleb in 2016.

I like it though so far.

What do you mean by game like this btw?
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat May 23, 2020 1:55 pm

@Thimmy wrote:That’s why I’ve refrained from mentioning it Rolling Eyes It’s not for everyone, and the selection of new PS4 games is pretty slim, but I typically spend less than a month on finishing games myself, so it’s a lot cheaper than buying the games new. I’ve also used it a lot when there’s been a drought in anything else I’m interested in.

Nah continue on, i was just pulling your leg lol.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat May 23, 2020 2:08 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
@RealGunner wrote:Started Nier. Can't remember the last time i played a game like this lol. Maybe Ratchet n pleb in 2016.

I like it though so far.

What do you mean by game like this btw?

hmmmmmm

bit of platform, shooting from planes, dodging bullets, jumping from one place to another etc.

mind you i have just finished prologue.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat May 23, 2020 3:17 pm

Oh in that sense, i get ya.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer on Thu May 28, 2020 11:37 am

Now that I completed my Sega Saturn reviews series (reviewing around 30 games and playing over 50 games), I am ready to make my own Top 10 games list. My top 10 is widely different than Retro Sanctuary's list, with only three games being in both lists.

Generally, I consider any console that has 10 great games to be one worth owning. Based on my reviews of many Saturn games, I actually struggled to compile a top 10 list for the console, not for an abundance of options. Still, this list contains 10 games that are worth playing even today.

Ironically, my list doesn't probably reflect the kinds of games the Saturn is most famous for since I am not a big fan of the content-light Arcade ports that Segapsuhed the hardest for the console. Also, since many of the Saturn's "best" games were never ported West, this list may actually miss some games that would otherwise get in.                      

The list is presented in alphabetical order, but Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III are shoulders above the rest, with only Dragon Force coming close and Radiant Silvergun probably being the best for fans of Shmups.

Here goes:

Dark Savior (1996):

• Genre: Action Adventure

• Publisher: Sega, Climax Entertainment; Developer: Climax Entertainment.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 DMQu56l

Originally planned as a sequel for the well-regarded Landstalker Genesis game, Dark Savior became something that is much different. More an Isometric Platformer than an Action-Adventure game, this is a truly unique experience. The thing that makes this game unique is how the story diverges based on the opening "level". The game starts with you onboard a ship transporting a dangerous entity to a prison island, and things quickly go south. The dangerous entity escapes, and depending on how fast you reach the Captain's cabin, the story diverges in four different ways.

Boiling down this game to a few elements wouldn't do it justice. The platforming is clunky, and even after getting used to it, it is not very enjoyable. The combat is rough around the edges, and there isn't a lot of variety. Also, the game's plot, while fun, is not very unique. However, the sum of its parts is actually an addictive game where the different stories are all worth playing.

Also, it has some good graphics, with sprite work that utilizes the Saturn's best qualities and some unique and effective art design. Musically, the soundtrack is a blast, with one of the game's tracks, the "Seabandits" theme, being my favorite.

Honestly, this is one game that I enjoyed but could not properly explain exactly why.

Dragon Force (1996):

• Genre: Real-Time Strategy RPG.

• Publisher: Sega, Working Designs; Developer: J-Force, Sega.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 QDiE7Xh

As you may have gathered from the rather lengthy genre description, this is a game that defies categorization, as it is nearly entirely unique in the combination of things it does. Basically, you control one of six nations, each vying for total control. As the leader, you recruit generals and mobilize troops in what appears to be a real-time grand strategy game. However, once two forces collide, the action goes into a real-time tactical decision-making battle, as each force moves while you can pause the action to change tactics or deploy special moves. All of this is tied through a progression mode and story that is closer to RPGs than traditional strategy games.

Adding to this unique and addicting gameplay loops is an honestly amazing presentation. Taking advantage of the console's 2D capabilities, all generals and soldiers are represented by well-detailed sprites, which looks great when you have 200 hundred of them battling each other while an anime special move cleaves through the battlefield.

When I reviewed the game I noted how I started my review series to discover gems like these, and how ironic that this is a gem I knew about when I saw my distant cousins play it as a kid, but I never knew its name or even the console they were playing at the time. You can be sure that I won't be forgetting about this game any time soon

While it is unfortunate that I didn't find many gems like Dragon Force in the Saturn's library, that only makes the game shine brighter today.

Guardian Heroes (1996):

• Genre: Beat 'em Up.

• Publisher: Sega; Developer: Treasure.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 AQxKwkT

The best thing I can say about Guardian Heroes is that I greatly enjoyed it despite not being a fan of Beat 'em Ups. Being one of the first games in the genre that introduced light RPG elements and an adventure with multiple paths, this game is another feather in Treasure's bonnet in that era. Truly, I enjoyed it enough that I finished it several times.

However, the elephant in the room is whether this version of the game is worth playing at al?

Since the game was remastered on Xbox Live, there exists an undoubtedly better version of the game. One that resolves some of the issues in the base game while building upon its best traits. Normally, I wouldn't even review a game that was remastered or fully remade; the only reason that I made this review is that I didn't know the remaster existed. Yet, I ended up enjoying the game, and I hope it gives anyone reading the review a slight push to try the Xbox Live version. The reason I still decided to include the game in my Top 10 list is that there is simply no other game that can take its place.

The Legend of Oasis (1996):

• Genre: Action Adventure.

• Publisher: Sega; Developer: Ancient.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 23Kgcqa

Just like Dark Savior this game is another sequel to a well-regarded but little-known Genesis game. In fact, this is actually a prequel to the very good Beyond Oasis that explains some of the lore of that game. Not that the game contains much narrative or world-building depth.

A top-down Action Adventure game, there are some minor similarities to the adventure game of another blond hero. However, a key difference is the game is faster and more action-oriented. One unique element that supports both combat and puzzle-solving is the ability to conjure spirits from the elements in the environment.

When conjuring a spirit, that spirit is summoned as an ally that helps you in both combat and solving environmental puzzles. For instance, the fire spirit can light torches and burn ropes while the water spirit can extinguish fires and freeze lakes.

Finally, it doesn't hurt that the game's graphics are really great examples of 32bit 2D sprites. This is a case where the game's decision not to follow the latest trends made sure that it aged very well.

Magic Knight Rayearth (1998):

• Genre: Action Adventure.

• Publisher: Sega, Working Designs; Developer: Sega.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 1yyC4Pf

Based on the Magical Girls anime of the same name, this is an Action-Adventure game in the mold of The Legend of Zelda. The gameplay is pretty good, even if it never approaches any level of greatness. Ironically, it is the game's adherence to the past that allowed to age gracefully and still play well today. While originally derided by some for not moving away from the 16bit graphics of the previous generations, that ensured that this game looks great now compared to early 3D graphics adopters like Bug! and Mystaria.

An interesting thing about this title is that it was one of the first games unveiled for the system but ended up being the last official game released in the west. That's because Sega, in their infinite wisdom, decided that 2D games would not sell well in the west. Instead, they banked on the Saturn's weakest points rather than its strengths. Also, they didn't think that a game featuring 3 little girls as the main characters would sell.

As such, this game deserves a spot in the list not only on its own merit, but also a signifier of Sega's disastrous Saturn strategy, and as an unfortunate reminder of the many quality games that never left Japan's shores.

Mega Man 8 (1997):

• Genre: Action Platformer.

• Publisher: Capcom; Designer: Capcom.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 ZKLd926

It is entirely possible that Mega Man 8 is mostly known today for its very cheesy voice acting, which is cringe-worthy to the extreme. For fans of the series, this was considered a regressive step back compared to the new excellence of the Mega Man X series. However, if we take the game at its own merits, as an evolution of the classical formula, then it is a damn good game.

At its best, this game has all exciting action-gameplay the series is known for, with great levels and some excellent boss battles. While it does not have the fast action-packed gameplay of the X series, it is still a worthy Mega Man game besides them. Arguably, putting Mega Man X4 in this spot would be the better choice. However, this is a case where the Saturn version of Mega Man 8 is better than the PS1 version, and the PS1 version of X4 is better than the Saturn's. As such, I chose to put the better Mega Man port in the top 10 despite favoring X4 more as a game.

One thing that I think Mega Man 8 excels at is the awesome way it updates the looks of the classic Mega Man series. This is one seriously gorgeous game, and that's only better with the great soundtrack. Even if the voice acting is one of the worst ever performed.

Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (1996):

• Genre: Rail Shooter.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 K3TEAiG

Panzer Dragoon II is the second Rail Shooter game in its franchise and a much-improved sequel at that, and at this point in the franchise's history, it was Sega's best answer to Nintendo's Starfox series. However, the developers clearly had more ambition to their game than just being a simple arcade Rail Shooter.

Taking place in a mysterious world infested with biotechnological monsters, the game has a haunting visual atmosphere that is still effective today despite its aged graphics. Thankfully, the game's visuals are accompanied by an excellent and unique soundtrack, which manages to convey the game's atmosphere in lieu of graphical fidelity. Also, the game does seriously look better in motion than screenshots may suggest.

Gameplay-wise, the game is more involved than your usual arcade Rail Shooters, tasking the player with keeping track of four quadrants as well as giving the player more movement options. As such, the game doesn't suffer for lacking a plastic Rail gun accessory and is fun to play with any regular controller.

Just like the first game was recently remade for modern consoles, this sequel also has a planned remake and I am excited about it.

Panzer Dragoon Saga (1998):

• Genre: RPG.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 A0m3IAD

With their first two Panzer Dragoon games, Team Andromeda crafted a unique and mysterious world that unfortunately could not be satisfactorily expanded upon in Rail Shooter games. Yet, the need to expand upon that world was obviously so great that the next game in the series became an RPG.

As such, one of the most mysterious and critically lauded RPGs was made. After playing the game, I can safely say that its reputation was earned.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is a hugely ambitious game despite being short for an RPG and contained in its story and location. It is probably one of the first games that aimed to be a "cinematic" experience. The story is revealed in so many CGI and in-engine cutscenes that the game occupied four CDs, All dialogue was voiced, including simple conversations with NPCs. And, if you look closely at each scene, you see how the team managed to convey nuance and emotion through actual and realistic "acting".

Within that ambitious experiment, there was a well-crafted world with interesting lore and characters. Also, there was an amazing turn-based battle system based completely on the rider and his dragon, and in that way, it was a perfect tribute to the first two games. There is no question that this is the Saturn's most remarkable game. From a historical perspective, it outdoes any game released at that time in terms of production, and it plays great even now.

This is exactly the kind of game Sega should have focused on if they wanted to compete in the console space. Something that couldn't be emulated in the Arcade floor, but something that unraveled its mysteries in your home, amazing you wth what video games can offer beyond chasing a high score.

Radiant Silvergun (1998):

• Genre: Shmup.

• Publisher: Entertainment Software Publishing; Developer: Treasure.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 MBECnpQ

The Saturn is known for its great collection of Shmups, which is ironic considering very few of them were actually ported west. Radiant Silvergun is probably the most famous of those games. Despite being published only in Japan, Radiant Silvergun had such a stellar reputation that it was widely ported West and even covered in official review outlets. This reputation is why I ended up reviewing the game, making it my only import review.

Of course, this meant that I didn't get much from the game's story, which was more involved than your usual Shump. However, this game is not legendary in the genre due to its story, but due to its excellent gameplay. Giving you access to all weapons at once, the game is more concerned with the player mastering these weapons than begging for drops. This is needed against the increasingly difficult and intense bosses, which are a hallmark of Treasure's gaming design.

As a genre outsider, I think that the accessibility features are what differentiates this game from others. It has several difficulty options, and the weapon upgrades as you play, making the game easier and beatable even if you exhaust all your continues. While I am sure that my appreciation for the game is to a lesser degree than genre fans, I actually can identify how it is a top tier Shmup, and a top game for the Saturn as a result.

Shining Force III (1998):

• Genre: Tactical RPG.

• Publisher: Sega; Developer: Camelot Software.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 A397tat

Here is a masterpiece that shows both the best and the worst that the Saturn could offer. That sentiment may sound weird when you consider the fact that Shining Force III may be the best game in its illustrious franchise, and is by all objective measures a great game. Retaining the excellent TRPG tactical gameplay that made its predecessors on the Genesis such good games while evolving its story, this is a game that truly jumped to the next generation.

Yet, you can see the worst Sega strategies when you consider the initially huge ambition of Camelot Software when developing this game. Basically, the Shining Force III that Western audiences are familiar with is simply the first of three scenarios that were released in Japan. Each scenario covered the journey of one of the three heroes, showing the central conflict from their perspective. This didn't only allow for simply more of the same excellent gameplay, but also for a richer and more complex story to be developed around those multiple perspectives.

However, by the time Shining Force III came out, it appears that Sega of America was willing to cut their losses and simply port the first game West, leaving fans of the series with an incomplete ending. Honestly, I understand their decision at the time, as it was clear in 1998 that the Sega Saturn was failing miserably in the US and no game can save it.

Thankfully, the fan community has come together to translate the second and third scenarios, and their work is very well-done. Also, even if you are not interested in playing those translations, I do think that the first scenario does work well as a stand-alone game, even if the ending may feel a little bit abrupt.

So I ended up deviating greatly from Retro Sanctuary's list with my top 10 games. After all, my list was developed with no regard to historical importance at the time and is purely based on my impression of these games after playing them now. Honestly, I can say that all of these games are good games, with three or four of them being great games.

Other than that, I don't even have a list of honorable mentions since I struggle to bump the list up to 10 games in the first place. Maybe Rayman but that's it.

I know that a couple of Japan-only games would have made it on the list. Games such as Grandia and Lunar would have pushed the console further back in the day, but Sega was busy burning the legacy of the Genesis down.

Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Sat May 30, 2020 5:41 am

This game looks fun.

World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat May 30, 2020 12:54 pm

COD WW2 and Battlefront 2 free games in june
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat May 30, 2020 1:31 pm

Battlefront 2 i expected, EA recently have stopped supporting the game and moved developers onto Battlefield.

It's actually become a very good game as casual multiplayer games go, it's just sad it won't receive further updates.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat May 30, 2020 1:44 pm

Is there a chance spider-man will be free in upcoming months?

or should i just buy it?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce on Sat May 30, 2020 4:17 pm

@RealGunner wrote:Is there a chance spider-man will be free in upcoming months?

or should i just buy it?

Just get imo, there's very little chance you won't like it.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci on Sat May 30, 2020 4:58 pm

@RealGunner wrote:COD WW2 and Battlefront 2 free games in june
WW2 became good apprently when they fired that arrogant Sledge chief. But sadly bad maps = unplayable fps.

@Mole BF2 still worth playing? See you guys play it sometimes.

Got nothing to play atm. Origins triggering me & saving DS3 till after tlou2
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer on Sat May 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Game: Disruptor.
Year: 1996.
Genre: Doom-Style FPS.
Publisher: Universal Interactive Studios.
Developer: Insomniac Games.

General Games Discussion - Page 16 Disruptor-NTSC-PSX-FRONT

First things first, I am changing my rating system to a simpler 10 point system. Games that get above a 7 I fully recommend, and those that get below that are mostly a waste of time. That leaves the score of 7 to depend on your taste

Disruptor is a competent Doom-like FPS with little to deviate it from the scores of such games. It is worth remembering only as a footnote in the development history of Insomniac Games, which started with this unremarkable game and then went on to become a powerhouse developer.

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"

Games in the 5th generation started to have more of a narrative focus, and games like Disruptor could not avoid having a story. This time, the story is revealed through poorly acted FMVs before any mission. To be fair, maybe it is not fair to comment on the acting ability of the cast since the stilted dialogue with its insanely high catch-phrase to exposition ratio wouldn't be flattering to any actor.

The basis of the genric story is that you are one of a special corps of soldiers who can control Psionic abilities "which can be surgically embedded in 10 minutes". As such a soldier, you go into several generic missions in a generic world using generic weapons and abilities.

Storytelling shouldn't be focused only on a threadbare narrative but should be part of every facet in the game world's design, in order to have a visual narrative that is oftentimes more important in videogames.

"Just remember, think fast, shoot fast, and kick ass"

As a Doom-style FPS, the gameplay is focused more on movement than aiming with vertical aiming being locked, so there is no need for camera control. Instead, you will need to strafe around enemies, escaping their shots as if in a Bullet Hell game.

The speed of movement and the firepower options you have is very good. It is a fluid system, with many different weapons useful for different enemies and circumstances.

The best thing about the gameplay is the Psionic abilities you slowly unlock as you progress the game. While none are big game changers, acting morel like secondary weapons than an all-powerful tool, they do add a different layer to the combat and level progression.

While ammo and health are uncovered by exploring the levels, there are no pick-ups for Psionic abilities. Instead, you must use a "drain" Psionic attack on an enemy before dispatching them and causing them to drop more energy. This adds another resource management element to the gameplay that keeps it from getting comfortably boring.

"You call healing from a psionic implant a vacation"

Of course, you are still bound to be bored by the game's lackluster levels and lackluster mission design. While each mission nominally has a different objective, all are linear affairs with the same gameplay loop with one or two exceptions.

For instance, one level attempts to force a full-utilization of Psionic powers only to cave in at the start and offer weapon drops. Of course, that;s the correct decesion to make since Psionic powers are not balanced to be your primary offensive force.

Overall, I was very bored with the game by the end, which is mercifully not too long. I think that the length is actually decent considering the standards at the time.

"You will be facing organic enemies this time. So hunt for the Phase rifle and cook them until they are well-done"

Graphically, the game was originally designed with the 3DO in mind but soon migrated to the PS1 when that console proved to be a dud. I don't know how it was supposed to look on the 3DO, but it looks decently find on the PS1.

It's not an ugly game, but it is soo unremarkable to look at, that you may actually wish for it to have any unique ugliness to it. The graphics are well-done, and the effect sprites are well-drawn, but there is little visual consistency in the world, so much that every level looks like it came fro ma different Doom clone.

This is fully encapsulated by the boring FMV scenes, which could conceivably be the work of an amateur middle-school film fan.

Ironically, the music is where the game excels at, and due to an excellent soundtrack. While the soundtrack itself is good, the way the music changes throughout the level, depending on the gameplay context, is actually foreshadowing future music design in FPS games.

In Conclusion:

As an unremarkable game, made by a studio that would become an excellent studio Disruptor proves that great things can indeed start from humble beginnings.

Also, to be fair, a competent Doom-like game in 1996 was a rarity on the PS1, and maybe that's all the game need to be highly regarded at the time, while it is merely a historical footnote today.

Final: 5/10

Pros:

• A competent Doom-like shooter.

Cons:

• Doesn't have much to separate it from all the other competent Doom-like shooters.
  • Having a bad story is sometimes worse than having no story.

"Tips"
1-To make sharp turns, strafe in the opposite direction of the turn while making a turn.
2-Mix weapons and Psionic abilities for maximum efficiency.
3-The drain Psionic ability can help you recover some Psionic energy.

"Next Game"

We begin the PS1 reviews series with a game made by Insomniac, the newest studio acquired by Sony and a studio that has shown consistent quality over the ages. If anything, Disruptor
proved they could make a competent videogame, even if there is nothing on Earth that should compel anyone to play it.

Next in the list is the first 3D game for the quintessential 90's mascot character, the ever-obnoxious Gex. The game being Gex: Enter the Gecko which sits are #98 in the Retro Sanctuary list.

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy on Sat May 30, 2020 8:05 pm

@RealGunner wrote:Is there a chance spider-man will be free in upcoming months?

or should  i just buy it?
If you think you’ll complete it in a month, you can just subscribe to PS Now for a month and unsubscribe immediately. If you choose to download the game, it will be avaliable after the subscription ends, as long as you stay offline during that time.

Alternatively, you can get the trial version of PS Now. I don’t know how long it lasts for, though. I finished the game in a week or two, and that includes all DLC and a lot of the optional stuff.

That said, I’m pretty sure I saw Spiderman on sale for about £8 at one point in time. I’m not sure if that sale still stands. 1 month PS Now costs about £8 for me.

World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 pm

Thanks. I think i saw it for £18 somewhere and i do like my physical copies. Might just buy it.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner on Sat May 30, 2020 9:27 pm

So glad i managed to uncover fast travel in Nier. Was so close to quitting if i had to go to that disgusting desert area. One of the worst location in any game.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Today at 10:36 am

Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Barcelona