RealGunner
rincon
Warrior
The Demon of Carthage
Nishankly
39 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Coronavirus Thread - Part 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: The Coronavirus Thread - Part 2

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:14 pm

https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychloroquine-malaria-drug-coronavirus-fda-1493293

Seems like there is some success using a malaria drug to treat for COVID19 hospitalized cases

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Coronavirus Thread - Part 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: The Coronavirus Thread - Part 2

Post by Unique Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:22 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychloroquine-malaria-drug-coronavirus-fda-1493293

Seems like there is some success using a malaria drug to treat for COVID19 hospitalized cases
i wonder if it will be free to the public of will they charge people $300 per tablet
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:40 pm

Unique wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:People here are still very civilized, making way for each other on the streets, staying out of each other's personal space, as Hans has observed in Berlin.
But at the same time I'm also seeing what Babun's seeing, young people (16 to 21 yo I would guess) are still gathering in crowds of 5 to 20, and I think they're not stopping.
I'm very anxious because I think they'll end up getting a curfew introduced for all of us, and while I'll be fine gaming, tanning on my balcony, and binging netflix, that means no more walks, no more bike rides, and that's at the beginning of the spring.

Here's a snapshot I took with my phone on my walk today, might've been my last one for a few weeks:
The Coronavirus Thread - Part 2 - Page 4 Img_2011
thats a cool place to live mate. Thumbs up

London is better
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 pm

Pedram wrote:
Babun wrote:
sportsczy wrote:@Babs... that's the big issue.  ICU beds, staff, equipment, etc. to treat the people that get complications.  That's the threat that will kill people = not having the capacity to treat people who need it.

As it is, it's very difficult to get tested in the US.  I think that the government here, without saying it, has just accepted that there are too many people to test.  They only want people who are in a high-risk group or really sick to tax the health system.

In short, don't count on the government for anything.  The statistics are nonsense.  Count on yourself and make smart choices.

I prepared my 2x coronavirus kit consisting of:
- ibuprofen
- paracetamol
- 2x thermometer
- booze for the soul and desinfection of the throat
- cash at hand
- some cigarette packages in case the money isn't worth the papar it is printed on anymore
- games like Resident Evil 2 Remake, emulators, some books and bodyweight exercise plans

That's a fine game, you're in for a wild ride.

Stay away from the Mr X though. Laughing

No spoilers, please. My RTX 2070 Super has finally arrived. I will put it into my frankenstein rig from the cellar. Games on my list are Resident Evil Remake 2, Borderlands 3 and Tekken 7 to vent out some frustration.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:52 pm

Arquitecto wrote:Joder...You are in Heidelberg?

That's my second alumni after my initial university and spent three years there. I miss it everyday.

Thank you for that lovely shot of nostalgia let alone photo.

Yeah, got a bit around, I think the last time I shared pics I was still living in Mannheim, one town over. Moved to Mannheim from Bristol (where I worked in a tiny publishing house that did literature and music) to go back to uni and finish my PhD, at Heidelberg university (Mannheim is way cheaper and only a short train ride over, as you will remember), got an affordable flat in Heidelberg in 2012 and just stuck around since then, because I like it, and I do my academic part of my work from my home office, for years now, and the  other half of the week I tend bar here.

Anyway, Heidelberg is too nice for even Heidelbergers to pass up in this weather - people are flocking to the river in droves, expecting a curfew next Monday at the latest. Damn kids and their dumb parties at this time.

I did make a couple more pictures though, maybe I'll head over to the photos thread and share some more. This is incredibly offtopic.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 pm

Arquitecto wrote:Absolutely not.

China is a bigger fraud than I am and on a collective scale and already their whole reaction was based on lies and covering up facts.

What probably happened:
China's regime tried to cover up the first cases in the hope they would get the sickness under control (mid december I think). The issue became so big they couldn't cover up anymore (begin of january), they informed WHO. The cat was out of the bag by then. At the start they started ramping up their testing capacities. Even though they built those two "hospitals" the beds per capita in the region was and still is very low. They could test around 2000 people per day. They didn't have the capacity to treat more people. So you are right and wrong. The Chinese numbers are wrong but not just by manipulation, the situation had gotten out of control. They didn't accept anyone anymore into the hospitals, just advised the sick to stay home. Lots of them have died or overcome the sickness, we may never know the exact numbers. It is known however, they cremated all the dead people ASAP without testing, for they didn't have the time/resources to do so.
WHO's investigation team counted the overmortality (amount of deaths above the average in Wuhan at that time of the year because the deaths themselves were registered but not the cause) and took a statistical probe of the serum from the Wuhan population (proof of antibodies vs the Wuhan virus, it means the people who overcame the sickness). Their estimates were similar to the Chinese numbers in the end, mortality rate of 3.4% when the infection rate is out of control.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:45 pm

So why Italy is so bad right now ?
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 pm

Warrior wrote:So why Italy is so bad right now ?

Because they were hit shortly after China in January, the infection has been there for a very long time under the rader. The symptoms are almost the same as flu with pneumania as complication with the only difference that Covid-19 pneumania cannot be treated with antibiotica. I think an Italian doctor found out by chance, Covid-19 was in Italy. By the time they started testing it was too late.
That's why German mortality rate is so low in comparison. The number of infected in Germany is more or less correct, we are around 10-14 days behind Italy. In Spain or Italy, the real number has already outgrown the testing capability of the regions. The USA is just behind Spain. The real number is at least 10 times more.

Another note about tests: The first in Wuhan weren't fool proof. They resulted into false positives or negatives pretty often. So per one patient, they needed 5-6 tests to confirm diagnose, to monitor and to discharge the said patient. The medical workers had to be tested periodically. Again, not one test per person, more like 100000 test kits were needed for 18000 people.
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Full explanation: https://twitter.com/JasonYanowitz/status/1238977743653687296?s=19

Full easy to read timeline on what this virus did in Italy in 2 weeks and what is the situation now and why other countries should know what's coming.

Heart breaking.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 pm

CBarca wrote:What's the consensus here btw?

Do we trust China's numbers?

No.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 pm

so in the UK we should expect to have a similar amount of deaths as Italy in the coming week(s)? I know Italy have a elderly population, but we aren't locking down like other countries and apparently we have less ICU beds than they do too :/
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:05 pm

This guy was in my recommendations, he does daily round-ups of covid-19, thought I'd share:

Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:16 pm

Yes my sister lives in Germany, Erlangen ( Lothar Matthaus birthplace) , and he tells to me that it seems Italy two weeks ago before of the real lockdown
Schools are closed there, but people in parks, shops bar cinema opened till to 3 PM
A very zen attitudine , even though Bavaria raised the level on high emergence.
I's the quiet before storm. The whole Europe is going to be closed soon
Tomorrow is Spring , a season that I like so much ( unlike summer)  lightness and heaviness   at same time, days that begin   get longer, projects and experiments that will be disregarded in summer .. but in those 3 months everything is more interesting. It's not going to happen now. Our first Spring as inmates.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:18 pm

Firenze wrote:so in the UK we should expect to have a similar amount of deaths as Italy in the coming week(s)? I know Italy have a elderly population, but we aren't locking down like other countries and apparently we have less ICU beds than they do too :/

Think its better for the death rate for the virus to hit a city but not for the case rate.

In Italy, it hit in the provences where already hospital's are smaller and rarer and the population is older.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Researchers are gradually discovering several existing drugs that can be used to treat the disease, which will be vital in decreasing the number of deaths and relieving the burden on healthcare systems.

The UK are also planning on buying tests for anti-bodies, which is another important step. It'll help identify the asymptomatic so they can be isolated before they unknowingly spread the disease, and those who are deemed immune can return to work and support vital services.

So I'm keeping my hopes up that these sweeping lockdowns won't be necessary in the future.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:49 pm

Jay29 wrote:Researchers are gradually discovering several existing drugs that can be used to treat the disease, which will be vital in decreasing the number of deaths and relieving the burden on healthcare systems.

The UK are also planning on buying tests for anti-bodies, which is another important step. It'll help identify the asymptomatic so they can be isolated before they unknowingly spread the disease, and those who are deemed immune can return to work and support vital services.

So I'm keeping my hopes up that these sweeping lockdowns won't be necessary in the future.
yeah i saw that and it looks like great news. fingers crossed.
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:09 am

The Coronavirus Thread - Part 2 - Page 4 39fsaaantpn41

Kojima Molenation
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:58 am

The first couple deaths in my state. And it's gotten to be where many people know someone who either tested positive or probably has it but can't be tested.

It's been here, but these facts really bring it home. Stay safe fellow US citizens (and everyone else of course)
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:09 am

Was supposed to be in Heidelberg for a bachelor party this weekend, but everyone who was going to fly in had to stay home obviously.

Looks like the states will be VCing with Merkel on Sunday to discuss a complete lock down. Think I should head out today and grab some food for next week before that happens.

Things are relatively calm in Munich so far. We live in a relatively quiet neighborhood with a LOT of old people - easily 70%+. So my partner and I have been staying home for over a week, esp to minimize the risk for them. In the meantime, most companies have asked people to work from home, and the laggards are catching on - or at least introducing staggered working modes.

Haven't seen any hamsterkäufe in my local supermarkets (yet) but the shelves were indeed bereft of pasta, potatoes, paper rolls, etc. when I was last out. Söder & co. seem to be making a genuine effort, assuring people that retail supply chains are secure. Community places are all shut - including swimming pools and fitness studios.

Been reading your updates on and off here. Stay calm, stay strong, and stay safe lads. We'll get through this.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:54 am

El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Babun Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:13 am

Sri wrote:Was supposed to be in Heidelberg for a bachelor party this weekend, but everyone who was going to fly in had to stay home obviously.

Looks like the states will be VCing with Merkel on Sunday to discuss a complete lock down. Think I should head out today and grab some food for next week before that happens.

Things are relatively calm in Munich so far. We live in a relatively quiet neighborhood with a LOT of old people - easily 70%+. So my partner and I have been staying home for over a week, esp to minimize the risk for them. In the meantime, most companies have asked people to work from home, and the laggards are catching on - or at least introducing staggered working modes.

Haven't seen any hamsterkäufe in my local supermarkets (yet) but the shelves were indeed bereft of pasta, potatoes, paper rolls, etc. when I was last out. Söder & co. seem to be making a genuine effort, assuring people that retail supply chains are secure. Community places are all shut - including swimming pools and fitness studios.

Been reading your updates on and off here. Stay calm, stay strong, and stay safe lads. We'll get through this.

Reading through the lines (zwischen den Zeilen): they are preparing the lockdown, the Bundeswehr and the police are being instructed right now. Today in the news, the decision will be made on Saturday instead of Sunday => it means the lockdown is required earlier..

At least, our youngs aren't going gung ho:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8133303/Pubs-packed-revellers-despite-calls-social-distancing.html
https://www.peiner-nachrichten.de/panorama/article228736033/Spring-Break-Party-trotz-Corona.html
Babun
Babun
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Zagadka Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:34 am

Happy day 7 boys!! Something to cheer you all up

I've been very productive lately, doing web design, this, making a visual dictionary for 5 languages....and trying to outsource more clients ,which goes hand in hand with the website.

Total expenditure in 7 days of quarantine = 100zl which is 25 USD Very Happy
Zagadka
Zagadka
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:54 am

Babun wrote:
Sri wrote:Was supposed to be in Heidelberg for a bachelor party this weekend, but everyone who was going to fly in had to stay home obviously.

Reading through the lines (zwischen den Zeilen): they are preparing the lockdown, the Bundeswehr and the police are being instructed right now. Today in the news, the decision will be made on Saturday instead of Sunday => it means the lockdown is required earlier..

At least, our youngs aren't going gung ho:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8133303/Pubs-packed-revellers-despite-calls-social-distancing.html
https://www.peiner-nachrichten.de/panorama/article228736033/Spring-Break-Party-trotz-Corona.html

Bavaria is now locked down for 2 weeks, starting tonight. Here's what I jotted down from Söders talk:
* Gastronomies open for take-away, drive-in, and delivery.
* Bank and grocers will remain open.
* No visitor rights in hospitals, old age homes etc.. unless in case of death of relative. Only fathers can visit on child birth.
* Saloons, Bau/Gartenmarkt closed.
* All can go to work or to doctor, if needed.
* Public life being slowed down: people should only go out in exceptional cases, and NOT HAVE PARTIES.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:54 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51956510

BBC wrote:Tens of thousands of people gathered in Bangladesh for a mass prayer session on Wednesday, despite fears it posed a risk of spreading the new coronavirus.

Interestingly, this news wasn't covered by any of our local outlets.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:05 pm

Babun wrote:

Because they were hit shortly after China in January, the infection has been there for a very long time under the rader. The symptoms are almost the same as flu with pneumania as complication with the only difference that Covid-19 pneumania cannot be treated with antibiotica. I think an Italian doctor found out by chance, Covid-19 was in Italy. By the time they started testing it was too late.
That's why German mortality rate is so low in comparison. The number of infected in Germany is more or less correct, we are around 10-14 days behind Italy. In Spain or Italy, the real number has already outgrown the testing capability of the regions. The USA is just behind Spain. The real number is at least 10 times more.

Another note about tests: The first in Wuhan weren't fool proof. They resulted into false positives or negatives pretty often. So per one patient, they needed 5-6 tests to confirm diagnose, to monitor and to discharge the said patient. The medical workers had to be tested periodically. Again, not one test per person, more like 100000 test kits were needed for 18000 people.

I think too

And

Someone supposed also the " enviromental thesis " for Lombardia ( because Lombardia is a immense hotbed atm) though

Also the  " Italian society of environmental medicine " supposed that smog and dust have favored infection.
According to this study,  high concentrations of fine dust at the end of February in the  area have   accelerated abnormally the spread of the disease, and probably it  has found  a  fertile  ground  in the most polluted area of our country ( the Pro Valley Area ).

Brescia is the most polluted area of the whole Europe.

The Po Valley has the worst air in Europe. And unfortunately it derives from a physical conformation ( you should break down Appennini ...)

Pro Valley is  a basin, squeezed between the Alps and the Apennines, where the air stagnates, and
it does not allow an adequate exchange of air

About PM10 is important to consdier that  cars have a marginal impact on the quality of the air, more than 70% of the fine particles are from heating and factories
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:59 pm

What the hell is wrong with UK.

Almost all the passengers who came from UK to India have Corona virus. A country with this much resources and money has been a big disaster in containing it and they are letting people go to other countries with out testing.

In Kerala itself 5 UK tourists have Corona.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next